Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
First Play Build
Turtle
No Shield Melee
Caster
Kaz, what should I do. Tell me like you used to
View Results

• Locked thread
Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Distortion2 is a wizard at this game, he had speedruns of an hour and five minutes of all bosses without using the Tears of Denial glitch and under an hour with it last I checked

Also the gimmick runs with weapons - like that one, or my favourite the Dragonslayer Axe one where he 3 shots Crystal Sage - are great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Man Trash
Jun 6, 2013

Illuyankas posted:

Distortion2 is a wizard at this game, he had speedruns of an hour and five minutes of all bosses without using the Tears of Denial glitch and under an hour with it last I checked

Also the gimmick runs with weapons - like that one, or my favourite the Dragonslayer Axe one where he 3 shots Crystal Sage - are great

during his stream yesterday he kept utterly owning bosses while taking no hits, then saying "oh i forgot to equip the right ring for that boss fight" afterward.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lmao thats awesome

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

well turns out theres questlines you can permanently miss in the dlc if you make too much progress :)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

extremebuff posted:

well turns out theres questlines you can permanently miss in the dlc if you make too much progress :)

but its so haaaaard

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1U6LbvRWG8

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
last night i loaded a build i had forgotten about it appears to be a faith pyro build that has just barely the stats to use astora GS i wonder if that's viable for the new DLC

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

watching a total newbie play dark souls 1 really opened my eyes to how well made the game is.

i was playing it right after beating demon souls a million times so i generally knew what to expect, this was someone who flatout hasn't played many 3d action games at all and she organically found her way to undead burg (after the graveyard skeletons told her to gently caress off), and the level design is just so good.

you don't have a map, but thanks to generous amounts of landmarks and the way the architecture is built in general there are a lot of subtle visual cues that tell the player what's next, you can't really get lost. the tutorial boss demon and the minotaur are also a great basic skills check. there are dumb things like humanity and the way equip load worked that would be smoothed out later in the series but in terms of level and enemy design it's almost flawless. what a great game

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Did they actually patch the PC Dark Souls or do I still need DSFix for it?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

it'll run fine, but if you want 60 fps and any resolution besides 720p you still need dsfix

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Ah no worries

On an unrelated note Sir Vilhelm can go gently caress himself

e: he went and hosed himself on a heavy exile greatsword, this thing is awesome

Illuyankas fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 1, 2017

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

got to the last boss, seems like a really sick fight so far.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i've progressed to the random ornstein encounter at the end of the swamp/locust area

i didn't really enjoy the first half of the dreg heap, but the second bonfire and beyond has been extremely good, probably on par with the best areas of base-game DS3. and the first boss is one of my new favorites

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

So I went to start my blind run of Ringed City today and my PS4 controller that worked perfectly fine yesterday is now refusing to pair with my PS4 even though its never been paired with anything else. I tried the reset switch on the controller, wont work. Dont have anyone nearby to borrow a controller from and none of the other solutions i find work (using a keyboard cant get you past PUSH PS BUTTON TO START and I never paired my phone with it). Am I just stuck buying another loving controller

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

finally beat the first boss/es https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHEihWm7R7k

bokealoke
Nov 10, 2009

I.N.R.I posted:

i soloed all of it at about sl85... its not as difficult as the old hunters. the last boss is harder than kos though

any advice for darkeater midir?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

streamed this last night feeling confident, thinking i was gonna clear up the last couple DLC bosses and move on to pvp but instead i just streamed myself getting owned for 3 hours by gael and maneater midir

one thing i noticed is gael would be crazy easy if you just walked in there with a tower shield, he has some big attacks that'll break your guard or ignore it but they're easy to spot. when i realized just how good shields are for the fight I went 2h only. its so lame to think that someone could just block their way through an epic boss

bokealoke
Nov 10, 2009

extremebuff posted:

streamed this last night feeling confident, thinking i was gonna clear up the last couple DLC bosses and move on to pvp but instead i just streamed myself getting owned for 3 hours by gael and maneater midir

one thing i noticed is gael would be crazy easy if you just walked in there with a tower shield, he has some big attacks that'll break your guard or ignore it but they're easy to spot. when i realized just how good shields are for the fight I went 2h only. its so lame to think that someone could just block their way through an epic boss

A big hammer worked pretty well.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

gonna give it another try tonight, around 9p est ill stream. i know i can beat this rear end in a top hat.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

bokealoke posted:

the way i beat is was by rolling a bunch of times for each attack instead of just once like you normally would for attacks . you can dodge most of them with 1 roll or sprinting even without the bloodring but its bad news if you get counter hit. i havent figured out his flame breath when hes flying .. i had to just eat it. thats what most of my estus were spent on. maybe you can block it with a black knight shield but i wasnt using shields on the character i did it with

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

bokealoke posted:

staying in front of it is where ive seen the most success.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

bokealoke posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSbXvn-qglA

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

the way i beat is was by rolling a bunch of times for each attack instead of just once like you normally would for attacks . you can dodge most of them with 1 roll or sprinting even without the bloodring but its bad news if you get counter hit. i havent figured out his flame breath when hes flying .. i had to just eat it. thats what most of my estus were spent on. maybe you can block it with a black knight shield but i wasnt using shields on the character i did it with
the flying flame breath is scary but he has a bad neck or something and only sprays it to his left, run to his right and you'll be 100% safe

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

kind of like how pointless it is to phantom for the DLC bosses. theyre hard enough when they behave consistently, now try fighting them while they lagwarp around and go apeshit trying to hit 3 targets!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i've done it. beat every boss. what a fantastic ending to ds3 and possibly the souls series, now its time do to pvp forever and nab all the covenant cheevos im missing. the icons that let you know where others are summoning/fighting at your level is really nice

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
final boss was awesome. very similar to Gehrman in that i instantly got the rhythm of the fight, and while it still took me three or four tries to finish him, all my attempts were extremely fun and had a really cool flow.

i'm slightly bummed in the lack of any sort of cutscene, though. old hunters only had a quick 30-second thing, and it was far more substantial than what you get at the end of what is supposedly the last piece of content for the very last souls game. seems a little weird, but it doesn't take away from how good everything else was.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

whatis posted:

final boss was awesome. very similar to Gehrman in that i instantly got the rhythm of the fight, and while it still took me three or four tries to finish him, all my attempts were extremely fun and had a really cool flow.

i'm slightly bummed in the lack of any sort of cutscene, though. old hunters only had a quick 30-second thing, and it was far more substantial than what you get at the end of what is supposedly the last piece of content for the very last souls game. seems a little weird, but it doesn't take away from how good everything else was.

Theres two cutscenes, take the blood to the painter for one and save Lapp and find him again for the other.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Kild posted:

Theres two cutscenes, take the blood to the painter for one and save Lapp and find him again for the other.

i meant concluding cutscene specifically. and while yeah there's some dialogue with the painter, there wasn't a cutscene

i was just hoping for something similar to DS2 where scholar of the first sin introduced a new ending option.

not a big deal, but still seems a little weird to me given the apparent finality of everything

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

whatis posted:

i meant concluding cutscene specifically. and while yeah there's some dialogue with the painter, there wasn't a cutscene

i was just hoping for something similar to DS2 where scholar of the first sin introduced a new ending option.

not a big deal, but still seems a little weird to me given the apparent finality of everything

I think the Lapp cutscene is a good ending cutscene personally

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
another patch coming wednesday that broadens the level range for covenant summons, stops hosts from being able to resummon friendly phantoms when invaded, up to 2 blues can now be summoned to the same place (hell yes!!!), greatly reduced duration of Seed of a Giant Tree, and fixes various weapon bugs

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

another patch coming wednesday that broadens the level range for covenant summons, stops hosts from being able to resummon friendly phantoms when invaded, up to 2 blues can now be summoned to the same place (hell yes!!!), greatly reduced duration of Seed of a Giant Tree, and fixes various weapon bugs

i hope they also nerf the poo poo out of the twin greatswords but this alll sounds very good

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

extremebuff posted:

i hope they also nerf the poo poo out of the twin greatswords but this alll sounds very good

i think they nerfed em a few days after the dlc came out. i dunno, i havent used em in pvp yet due to persona

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've decided that i'm going to jump into this with a new character in june, but have too much other poo poo going on until then

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

It's becoming very clear to me that I'm never going to beat Midir and that's ok.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Guw posted:

It's becoming very clear to me that I'm never going to beat Midir and that's ok.

its a long fight and arguably harder than the final dude. stay strong and pay attention to its tells

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

It's weird cos I beat the final dude only after a couple tries. Midir just has so much hp. I will persevere.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the flying flame breath is scary but he has a bad neck or something and only sprays it to his left, run to his right and you'll be 100% safe

youre right ty .. i did it for a 2nd time and you can dodge most of his flame attacks by running right or right + forward

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

HolePisser1982 posted:

hell yes pvp is real

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Slowly working through the Ringed City DLC, beat the first boss and got to the city proper last night then took two steps past the bonfire and had every cell in my body replaced with arrows

I love Dark Souls

e: I do not love fighting two ringed knights at once, especially since I haven't found the shortcut to the inner wall bonfire/next bonfire yet

Illuyankas fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

https://gfycat.com/AnimatedEllipticalCod

• Locked thread