Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Flying Witch

This is a surreal daily life anime about the everyday life of one Makoto Kowata, a 15 year old teenage witch who's moved in with her second cousin's family in Northern Japan. Being a witch, she can fly on a broom and do magic spells, but mostly takes things easy, living life one day at a time! She's also something of a space cadet.

Here are some of her friends and relatives:

Chito, a cat. Unlike a certain other black cat familiar, not voiced by Phil Hartman.

Chinatsu Kuramoto, her adorable, perky, energetic little cousin.

Kei Kuramoto, Chinatsu's older brother. Pretty laid-back, just like basically everyone and everything else in this show.

Akane Kowata, Makoto's older sister. In the manga, makes her first appearance in a :krad: Vietnamese ao dai. Quite well-traveled!

And the normal friend girl. Oh her name is Nao Ishiwatari. Okay! Now I know!

This show is directed by Katsushi Sakurabi, known for works such as Gunparade March and Lunar Legend Tsukihime.

Stream episode 1 on Crunchyroll!!!

I love the low-key approach to magic in this show, and the way the fantastical interjects itself into the mundane world so seamlessly. It's just a heartwarming and relaxing thing to watch!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
MANGA

If you want to check out the manga, we've been reading it and enjoying it quite immensely (when translations have been arsed to come out) in the Surreal Daily Life Manga thread. You should! It's pretty magical. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
KITTEN'S GIF CORNER

a kitten posted:

This show is great!

VVVVVVVV

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This show is great!

The manga has been a lot of mellow fun and the anime is off to a fine start. Lots of fun character moments and interactions and it's barely begun. :3:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I like this show a lot so far!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

a kitten posted:

This show is great!

Yeah! I haven't read the manga but really enjoyed the first episode :)

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

This show was everything it was promised to be. It's pretty great.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This is a drat cute show. I'll be catching this weekly. Needs more witch hats though to reach peak cute witches being cute.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Unlike previous high school witch anime Witch Craft Works, this one has no big hats, and only one (human) character has animal ears.

Big silly hats are out. I don't remember them having any in Maria or Yamada-kun either. (Except for the Yamada-kun OP, but that was just the OP.)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

We all have our flaws.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

nielsm posted:

Unlike previous high school witch anime Witch Craft Works, this one has no big hats, and only one (human) character has animal ears.

Big silly hats are out. I don't remember them having any in Maria or Yamada-kun either. (Except for the Yamada-kun OP, but that was just the OP.)

Nah.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"I have to move out because I'm an adult, but I have to finish school because the witch job market is poo poo."

Magical Millennials.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

"I have to move out because I'm an adult, but I have to finish school because the witch job market is poo poo."

Magical Millennials.

Flying Witch Anime Thread: Magical Millennials

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This show is really good!

Also, holy poo poo Kei is an rear end in a top hat.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Watched the first ep because I like the kind of haircuts the MC has, stayed for creepy mandrakes.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

WitchFetish posted:

Watched the first ep because I like the kind of haircuts the MC has, stayed for creepy mandrakes.

Nice username/thread combo.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
This is a good show.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Waffleman_ posted:

Magical Millennials.

holy poo poo :lol:

this show is good so far.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
I'm loving this show so far, it just oozes charm. My only disappointment with the anime was that Makoto was a hell of a lot more of a badass when she's testing brooms in the manga.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I vote Mandrake scene for best scene of the year.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Haha, in my memory, i thought they were both grinning.

:3::sweatdrop:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Looks cute and followed. The mandrake's arms freaked me out a bit and I look forward to more magical creatures popping up soon.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Flying Witch manga is a joy to read and I'm glad this one gets an anime.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Flying Witch is really good!!!

I mean, I knew it would be, but they nailed the transition to anime. Good comedic timing, good chill timing, and holy lol the mandrake scene.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

:agreed:

:3:

I like the way this weird girl reacts to things :)

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This is going to be a supremely giffable show.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I couldn't help myself and just read what's available for the manga.

:3:

Can't wait to see more of the characters now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

When your friend just woke up and logged on.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

My only minor point of contention is the way they did the little shiny mark/shadow thingy on their noses. It kind of looks like it's floating over them, and it's sort of weird and distracting at times. You can sorta see it in this gif.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://a.pomf.cat/csojzu.webm

:kimchi: also, lol I like Kei

https://a.pomf.cat/hcqxnd.webm

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I think they picked a good VA for him! He always sounds so chill. Also, yes, Chinatsu is a super adorable kid! I wish they could've gotten an actual 11 year old kid to play her, the way they got an actual 6 year old to play the kid in Bunny Drop, because her voice sounds just a tad odd. Oh well!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

DrSunshine posted:

I think they picked a good VA for him! He always sounds so chill. Also, yes, Chinatsu is a super adorable kid! I wish they could've gotten an actual 11 year old kid to play her, the way they got an actual 6 year old to play the kid in Bunny Drop, because her voice sounds just a tad odd. Oh well!

I hadn't really noticed anything myself but yeah, that would have been cool. Barakamon had really good child voice actors too I think

:agreed: about Kei's VA, I think its his first role too. Or at least MAL didn't have any other things listed when I immediately had to know who this incredibly calming voice belonged to :)

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
:banjo: :dance:
I think Jojo may have some competition for catchiest OP of the season.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
did they really animate the mandrake in ones just to make it freakier

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Phobophilia posted:

:yeah:

I love when it crosses its little arms. :buddy:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Perhaps you just have a thing for vegetables of unusual size. :colbert:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It looks so disappointed at that point.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'll be sad if Mandrake-chan doesn't show up again at some point

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Someone showed me a clip of the Mandrake and I'm hooked. They played that scene out perfectly, with all the horror and awkwardness they could milk out of it.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

Yeah, I think it was composite cg but it looked cool

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i'll be sad if Mandrake-chan doesn't show up again at some point

He's getting butchered to make medicine, so probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
The mandrake scene was one of my favorite scenes from a manga and they loving nailed it so kudos to them.

• Locked thread