Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Roland Jones posted:

I think it would have benefited from being thirteen episodes rather than twelve; this last episode felt like it was trying to wrap everything up ASAP. Even skipping the opening entirely, if felt cramped, skipped over some things (like Nanko and Valkana kicking rear end apparently), and then kind of just ended. It was still entertaining, but, yeah.

It is going to have a thirteenth episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
please stop giving mari okada work japan

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Relin posted:

Do not do this

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
My favorite part of this show was that the "different colored shoes" theory was probably just an animation error.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Pavlov posted:

My favorite part of this show was that the "different colored shoes" theory was probably just an animation error.

It seemed so significant though!

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

That episode was basically 20 minutes of denouement except nothing really felt settled and few loose ends were actually addressed. I loved it.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I liked the part where a big revelation for the characters is how people end up punishing themselves harder because they assume everyone else has it all together and that only they are suffering/coming up short. This point is especially important considering that Japan has been very slow to acknowledge mental health issues, and that many people who fear the stigma of being "crazy" end up coming up with really bad coping mechanisms.

I wish we had more episodes to flesh out the cast, though. I was surprised that the nurse and the basically sensible guy ended up staying behind, but it made sense in terms of character to try and care for those who can't leave yet.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
This was a lovely and short show.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Neeksy posted:

I wish we had more episodes to flesh out the cast, though. I was surprised that the nurse and the basically sensible guy ended up staying behind, but it made sense in terms of character to try and care for those who can't leave yet.

Maybe Soy Latte will find romance? Hopeful end!

(Although a lot of the knuckleheads on reddit at this late juncture STILL haven't figured out that the humor's intentional. Kind of annoying.)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

nor has the highest rated MAL review. people are stupid

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
As much as I'm confused by how many people think Mayoiga's humor is accidental or nonexistent, I think what I find even stranger is when they go on to also say it's a compelling serious story with effective dramatic direction. :psyduck:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

esselfortium posted:

As much as I'm confused by how many people think Mayoiga's humor is accidental or nonexistent, I think what I find even stranger is when they go on to also say it's a compelling serious story with effective dramatic direction. :psyduck:

It occasionally gets serious, like with the bus driver's daughter, because it would be kind of dickish to play that for laughs even by this show's standards. Just not very often.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I think this ended on an okay note overall, it just felt very rushed. Feels like it having one or even two more episodes would of helped it a lot.

Mostly I thought far more of them were going to stay so was rather confused by the bus being so full.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
they should've made the manga be a completely different plot that happens to also take place in nanaki village, starring wankoro, the three yuunas, and toriyasu as the main characters. mitsumune dies day 1 and masaki is completely unimportant and probably has a completely different backstory. just make every adaptation star different members of this show's ridiculously large cast

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Relin posted:

Do the opposite of this, actually.

Talvos
Mar 21, 2005
That episode felt like the director thought he was doing a 24 episode series and wasn't corrected until he finished episode 11. It was jarring with the shifts in tone and the back-to-back character resolutions.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

we spent a lot of time in this show with nanko and lion to not learn what their backstories are.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

we saw lion's past though, she was a miko

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

we spent a lot of time in this show with nanko and lion to not learn what their backstories are.
I think we were given a bit of Lion's backstory to find out she worked at a shrine where her mom was exploiting her for the ability to see people who are doomed to die? Or that she was just being exploited for her supposed power; it was a bit ambiguous? But yeah, nothing is revealed with Nanko....I assumed they were going somewhere with how she'd squeeze her love handles but then again she never really had a nanaki, so she probably knew how to deal with her trauma or something.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

right, i totally forgot about lion's thing. didn't stick with me like the others, i guess.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, Lion either had some power or thought she did, and others thought so too, and her mother used that to sell things to supposedly help the people who were going to die to make money. Which apparently was working well, given how nice her place looked in Lion's flashback.

It's also why Lion doesn't want to go back in the end, I imagine; she's still a kid and has nothing to go back to except being used as a tool by her mother, so, her problem is a present one (beyond its effects on her psyche) as much as it is a past one. It's a bit of a downer, really; there's no happy ending for her either way, so the best she can do is not go back.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Davincie posted:

we saw lion's past though, she was a miko

Niggurath posted:

I think we were given a bit of Lion's backstory to find out she worked at a shrine[...]

It looked more like a weird cult to me rather than an actual shintoist miko.

Also, Blondie McHat felt really out of place, I mean, he joined the tour to run from loan sharks, right? We can assume everyone there has some sort of psychological scar but he's the only one with a more mundane reason that is never challenged, not even in the final episode when he reiterates it. He never describes or claims to have seen his nanaki, right?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

I want a Nanko/Lion buddy cop spinoff. It'll be awesome.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

MJP posted:

I want a Nanko/Lion buddy cop spinoff. It'll be awesome.

Yeah, if Mayoiga was an anime version of a crappy indie horror movie, I'd totally want a sequel/spinoff to be a crappy indie cop movie or some other genre.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Yeah, if Mayoiga was an anime version of a crappy indie horror movie, I'd totally want a sequel/spinoff to be a crappy indie cop movie or some other genre.

*rubs belly fat*

Yes, yes that could work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Agronox posted:

*rubs belly fat*

Yes, yes that could work.

Nanko Blart: Mall Detective