Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The Throne duo isn't too bad. They're just a twist on Ornstein and Smough -- in lieu of whittling one down, you need to chew them both to low or else they'll heal their opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Watcher Defender is a first year game design student copying O&S while understanding absolutely none of the reasons why that fight was good.

No narrative buildup or backstory, no (meaningfully) different and complementary movesets, no terrain with tactical applications, no good music.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
Idk if I agree Watcher and Defender don't have meaningfully different movesets. Watcher is faster and will chase you pretty agressively, but also tends to sidestep or backflip away from you if you stick close to her. Defender is easier to kite, but will hammer away at you if you stay in place. The result is that both shield-tankers and mobile, shieldless players have a way to separate them, which I think is kinda neat! I wouldn't say they make an extremely good bossfight or anything, but I don't think they're as bad as you're making them out to be either.

(also I will never understand why people hold up the inclusion of pillars in the O&S boss room as some genius design idea. Here's me running a figure-eight around some impassable terrain and maybe getting Smough's dumbass AI stuck, whoop-de-do)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Throne Watcher and Throne Defender are great because if you don't do them early you get to fight four bosses in a row; them, then Nashandra, then Aldia.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Throne Watcher and Throne Defender are great because if you don't do them early you get to fight four bosses in a row; them, then Nashandra, then Aldia.

Yeah but if you die to one of them the ones you already beat stay dead.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah it's like the designers of AoA looked at that potential gauntlet and then went "hmm, this gives me an idea..."

also lol if you ever died to nashandra or aldia other than maybe once to some of aldia's gimmicky stuff

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shear Modulus posted:

Yeah but if you die to one of them the ones you already beat stay dead.

Yeah, that part sucks about it. It was really cool my first time through DS2 to beat them then have the red-eye boss cutscene for Nashandra focus on me instead though.

quote:

also lol if you ever died to nashandra or aldia other than maybe once to some of aldia's gimmicky stuff

I've died to Nashandra's aoe once I think.

Also Throne Watcher's armor looks cool as hell

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 18, 2017

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Sapozhnik posted:

Yeah there's an optional hidden guy who is basically Pontiff except slower and much more difficult.

There's another optional hidden guy who is harder than Pontiff and is also the best and most fun fight in the entire series.

Orphan of Kos is hidden in a different game, though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's amazing how easy Orphan of Kos gets when you realize you can stunlock him with the gatling gun. You can knock a huge chunk of his health bar off if you dump everything into him right before he transitions to phase 2, since he keeps trying until he stops getting knocked around.

Nicaden
Feb 17, 2012
I haven't played this since Ashes of Ariandel, and was planning on starting a new game. I was wondering if a Whip playstyle was viable since I want to do a Belmont build. I heard they weren't too good at launch, but apparently they've been buffed somewhat so I wanted to ask your opinions.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Nicaden posted:

I haven't played this since Ashes of Ariandel, and was planning on starting a new game. I was wondering if a Whip playstyle was viable since I want to do a Belmont build. I heard they weren't too good at launch, but apparently they've been buffed somewhat so I wanted to ask your opinions.

They're still pretty bad. You can make anything work in PvE though.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Nicaden posted:

Hollow Notched Whip is probably the best choice. I'd recommend an offhand Hollow item for extra damage. Something that has the Weapon Skill ability or a casting tool are good too since you won't have access to ripostes anyway. The amount of stagger you deal is heavily dependant on your spacing, most enemies can be stunlocked by catching them with the very end of the whip. Roll attack comes out faster then anything else, r2 is great AoE. Two handing changes your move set entirely and isn't as good, generally.

Pontiff eyes are incredible with the whip. As is the Knight Slayer Ring. 15 int for Frozen Weapon makes Dragonslayer Armor much less painful.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I'm playing the DLC for the first time. Seems like the bonfire runs in Ashes are kinda long

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Oops just found one on the near side of the rope bridge. The run from the first bonfire to there was also pretty long but I'm assuming I just missed another one

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

No they're just scarce as hell.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

And Tyler Too! posted:

Yeah, getting from the first one past the giant wolf things and many other horrors made getting to the rope bridge bonfire feel like real relief. It was like being back at the start of the first time I played the game.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

And Tyler Too! posted:

There are 6. Not counting boss bonfires.

That's not really scarce.

There are two paths from the first to the second bonfire. One of them is really short.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
speaking of which, there is a special place in hell reserved for people who summon for the ariandel boss fight and make people watch the cutscenes

loving do the fight by yourself, christ

i wrote this post waiting for one such rear end in a top hat.

otoh i did recently discover that the farron gs just utterly shuts that boss down.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
yeah faron gs is pretty good for humanoids who get stunned. just spin to win because the ai is too stupid to parry it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
maybe he's born with it

maybe it's maybeline

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The Farron GS dominates everything and also gets style points.

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014
just started playing again recently to do some super low lvl invasions (lvl 17) in the Undead Settlement and holy gently caress are the changes they made to the blue cops awful. Its impossible to get an actual 1v1 invasion now. 2 Blues get summoned INSTANTLY and even if you kill one another gets summoned. Its non stop. I had an invasion yesterday where I fought a total of 9 people (5 blues, the hosts friend who i killed 3x and the host). It's awful. I've had soo many invasions where I've had to fight 6-7 people. Feels like a huge loving slog.

Another thing I've noticed are lots of people who are part of an invasion covenant (the goal of the covenant is to kill the host and you get a reward for doing so) who attack fellow invaders seemingly at random.

g0t_hats fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 20, 2017

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
some hosts summon reds to take up the second invasion slot so they can only get one hostile invader at a time. of course purples kill everyone because they just need to kill summons instead of the host. some reds also jut kill everyone they can because they are there to kill everyone for funsies.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Sister fried is remarkably unfun so far. I assume I'll eventually figure out a better way than random rolling to avoid getting grabbed while she's invisible.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
If you get close enough to her she becomes visible. Whenever she goes invisible she'll usually try to get behind you, either by leaping over you or sidestepping. You can sorta tell which way she went by the snow spray from her movement and by sound. She has no poise so you can just whack her out of the grab windup at that point.

Extra tip: projectiles that stick in things, like throwing knives and arrows, will remain visible while she's invisible.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I always figure something out as soon as I complain about it the next stage is tough too. I like the fire and ice dynamic.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Farron GS would have been a cool Trick Weapon imo

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The Kingfish posted:

Sister fried is remarkably unfun so far. I assume I'll eventually figure out a better way than random rolling to avoid getting grabbed while she's invisible.
Friede owns in co-op, I have almost certainly beaten her over 100 times via summon. Once you get used to how to deal with her you barely ever die and it's fun massacring a "hard" boss for some hapless player.

(Gael too for that matter, really)

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Friede rules because her weapon rules and nobody ever sees the combo coming because at first glace it doesn't appear to be a dual-wield weapon so it's great for PvP.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

Linguica posted:

Friede owns in co-op, I have almost certainly beaten her over 100 times via summon. Once you get used to how to deal with her you barely ever die and it's fun massacring a "hard" boss for some hapless player.

(Gael too for that matter, really)

Friede is great in co-op. She has no poise so you just take her to the #6 dance.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Wow three loving health bars

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Friede sucks, she's an entire boss of binary gimmicks where if you don't do one very specific thing she'll just randomly take off half your health but once you learn it she's easy. She's like if you listened to a bad stereotype of what Dark Souls is like from someone who hates the game and made it real.

The third stage is better about this and more like a regular, good boss fight (although it still has that "gotcha" at the beginning where if you're anywhere near her when it starts you die, but if you're too far away to immediately get up in her grill after the explosion, she uses much nastier moves) but it also means going through the first two stages every time you lose to it. It's like someone decided the chicken fight before Nameless King wasn't bad enough.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

The Kingfish posted:

Wow three loving health bars

The ride never ends. :darksouls:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's like someone decided the chicken fight before Nameless King wasn't bad enough.

What are you referring to? The mounted dragon bit? It takes about four hits to stagger it and then it dies when you crit it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

JBP posted:

What are you referring to? The mounted dragon bit? It takes about four hits to stagger it and then it dies when you crit it.

Yes, exactly. It's make-work before you get to the real fight, which in turn is fairly difficult, so you'll be doing the meaningless fluff that you already mastered over and over and over.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Ah ok. I only did that fight 5 times I think and the dragon killed me twice.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It does suck that you have to fight the dragon each time but I think the idea behind it is that the bonfire is directly next to the boss fog, and without the dragon you could just throw yourself at the Nameless King until you win because there's literally nothing in your way. Whether that's a good design decision or not, I dunno, imo it's fine because the dragon's not that healthy.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

And Tyler Too! posted:

Friede rules because her weapon rules and nobody ever sees the combo coming because at first glace it doesn't appear to be a dual-wield weapon so it's great for PvP.

the weapon art? almost everyone sees it coming from a mile away because most people that use that weapon just mash l1+r1 nonfucking stop

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
I finally went through Ashes for the first time a few days back and I spent 4 hours dying to various Millwood knights.

Beat Friede my 3rd attempt, which was the first time clearing Phase 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

the weapon art? almost everyone sees it coming from a mile away because most people that use that weapon just mash l1+r1 nonfucking stop

Doesn't stop them from dying to it. Maybe I keep invading dummies.