Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Cause it manipulates the essence of the universe directly, probably.

If I were to weave primal magicks to make the universe fit my desires, I'd simply make the boss I'm fighting disappear, rather than chucking a soul dart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I like Dark Souls' interpretation of magic users as just kind of stupid dumbfucks who either can only think of magic in terms of "use big magic, hit big hard" or self-absorbed assholes who put themselves on a self-destructive path of esoteric knowledge.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

goblin week posted:

If I were to weave primal magicks to make the universe fit my desires, I'd simply make the boss I'm fighting disappear, rather than chucking a soul dart

The bosses disappear if you chuck enough darts at them though

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

goblin week posted:

Excuse me, it's a soul SPEAR.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

goblin week posted:

you can cast ultimate magicks such as Multiple Soul Dart and Rapid Soul Dart

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
soul fart

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

aka pestilent mercury mist :yosbutt:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

The lost ancient magic of blight Town

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Consider this, magic nerds *swings my zweihander in a big circle, creating a huge cloud of dust. when the cloud dissipates, I'm lying completely hollowed on the pavement*

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Crowetron posted:

Consider this, magic nerds *swings my zweihander in a big circle, creating a huge cloud of dust. when the cloud dissipates, I'm lying completely hollowed on the pavement*

lol

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Moola posted:

innate FP regen is so good, I've been playing vanilla DS3 for a few weeks now and I still miss the FP regen from Cinders. It just feels right

I think it's the ideal option if there were a way to somehow keep healing Miracles from being infinite. One possibility I bounced around in my head was to make it so that they can never bring you above a % of your max HP (say, 40-50%). That would keep them in a niche where they're useful without overly breaking the Estus economy, as running around with only 50% of your max HP would put you in serious danger and still encourage you to use your Estus when possible to top yourself up.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
There is no Estus economy in DS3

Anyone who has finished the game and is thus interested in a mod (I suspect that there's very few people who play the game modded first, this is not Skyrim) is good enough to never run out between Bonfires. Bosses can still drain you (hello Gael), but good luck miracle-healing in a fight hard enough to regularly take all your Estus.

In fact, as Cinders has bigger walks between Bonfires, things are finally a little more interesting!

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Man the stairs with all the big harald knights is loving me up in The Ringed City. The knights themselves would be manageable if it was just them, landing an insta-kill falling blow from the top of the bridge isn't too tough, but the sheer amount of enemies running around is tough to manage.

As a side note I'm glad I happened to max out the Demon's Fists caestus earlier in the game just because they are a fun weapon to mess around with; they take out the sword and shield Ringed Knights very quickly.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Once I finally get done with Sekiro in the next week or two I'm gonna begin my Souls replay and I feel like after that, I'm going to absolutely steamroll everything. I need to learn to parry this time. Do you need a shield for that?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Vermain posted:

I think it's the ideal option if there were a way to somehow keep healing Miracles from being infinite. One possibility I bounced around in my head was to make it so that they can never bring you above a % of your max HP (say, 40-50%). That would keep them in a niche where they're useful without overly breaking the Estus economy, as running around with only 50% of your max HP would put you in serious danger and still encourage you to use your Estus when possible to top yourself up.

I think it's fine, because healing in combat via miracles usually ends with you getting hit for all the health you just healed with that miracle

Estus remains the goto combat heal

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

codo27 posted:

Once I finally get done with Sekiro in the next week or two I'm gonna begin my Souls replay and I feel like after that, I'm going to absolutely steamroll everything. I need to learn to parry this time. Do you need a shield for that?

No, a surprising number of weapons can parry in the off-hand including most curved swords and fist weapons.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
all y'all saying you can't heal in combat should try out heal aid sometime. it's quite fast(esp. with sage ring) and consumes the least stamina of all the healing miracles, you can get away with it during most fights if you know your openings. it doesn't even have the kneeling animation, which is part of why it's faster to use. it's not just a " use this if you have low faith" miracle.

also projected heal, but that spell obviously only becomes available lategame. I feel like it was made to heal allies from farther away, but without being able to lock on to allies(unless you are a red) it winds up being mostly "shoot your feet with this to heal".

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Is this the thread to ask for stuff? I'm interested in getting Anri's Straight Sword.

It's pretty good, right?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

lite_sleepr posted:

Is this the thread to ask for stuff? I'm interested in getting Anri's Straight Sword.

It's pretty good, right?

Are you doing a luck build?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I guess since rear end scales with luck. I don't think I ever used it because I could never kill Anri :shobon:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

lite_sleepr posted:

I guess since rear end scales with luck. I don't think I ever used it because I could never kill Anri :shobon:

your chance of getting rear end certainly improves with luck

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Flying Zamboni posted:

Man the stairs with all the big harald knights is loving me up in The Ringed City.

And of course after posting about it I then cleared the area and made it to the next bonfire with relative ease.

I now finally understand what the thread title is in reference to and it weirded me out when it first popped up. Not used to enemies talking to me in this game.

I've been really enjoying the DLC areas so far and I'm surprised when looking at guides for these that people seemed upset with the length of the Painted World. I thought it was just about the right amount of places to explore and the boss fight at the end was one of the best in the series. I also really liked that it tells it own story that acts as a mirror to overall Souls plot.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Just being playing with the anri's straight sword and I kinda hate it. It's so short, I keep whiffing hits with it

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
How am I being invaded if I am playing offline? I am embered, but I'm not logged into the game server so I shouldn't be able to be invaded, yet in the Grand archives I keep getting invaded by sexual chocolate which I don't believe is an NPC...

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Actually if you read the item descriptions then sexual chocolate comes up in the lore quite a lot

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

lite_sleepr posted:

How am I being invaded if I am playing offline?
Either:

a) Magic; or

b)

quote:

I'm not logged into the game server
is not actually correct.

Try cutting your connection to the internet entirely, and if you're still getting invaded that's :bignews: and you may wish to contact an exorcist.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
you've found it, in 2020, the last most secret NPC Miyazaki-sensei added to DS3

the man behind everything in all 3 games, that ties every piece of lore together and has it all make complete sense

sexual chocolate

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I know there a way to force invasions, but surely that would only target random players. And of those randoms, only those set to online mode

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Midir is a stupid boss. How is a dragon that size so easy to miss? So many whiffs when trying to score hits just makes the fight longer and more tedious than it needs to be

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 27, 2020

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Spear of the Church is a stupid boss, especially when it's me.

This just happened a bit ago on what I decided would be my last of the night and I had to share

AITA?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I haven't played DS3 much since I finished the PS4 plat on release but it was on sale on Steam so I'm playing through again, I'm currently at the Profane Capital but decided to pause and do the covenant stuff. I did a ton of co-op early game so I am stocked on Sunlight Medals, and I've done the Pale Tongues and Wolf Swordgrass already. If I am going for the eventual plat again I think that leaves the Human Dregs, Proof of a Concord Kept, and Vertebre Shackles. The Dregs seem to have a decent drop rate on the fireball guys and farming the ears is boring but not too tough at the start of Anor Londo... the one that is frustrating me are the Shackles. Are there really no ways to farm them besides the red eye skeletons in the catacombs? The drop rate seems to be atrocious, and nobody ever summons me when my sign is purple because they probably assume I'm going to gently caress them over during a boss fight, and I don't like invading because I seem to always go up against a squad.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Find a friend that’ll let you kill him a bunch of times with summon signs and a password

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

goblin week posted:

Find a friend that’ll let you kill him a bunch of times with summon signs and a password

This is by FAR the easiest way, unfortunately.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

That is a good idea. Uhh, if anyone is around level 70 and wants to do that, and hasn't killed the boss of Profane Capital, let me know, send me a PM or whatever. :v:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Can I ask your method for capturing/editing these? I'm using shadowplay to capture and shotcut to output, but I don't know much about video formatting and these clips look really good.

Testing-

https://i.imgur.com/ai1dghT.mp4

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Looks like a little bit of a comparative frame rate hitch during the action, but nothing drastic.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

Looks like a little bit of a comparative frame rate hitch during the action, but nothing drastic.

Wot

Just for context, capturing is set at in-game rez, 60fps, 50Mbps. For Shotcut I have no idea what I should be outputting/exporting, I wanted to know what those clips I quoted were done at. Is there a thread dedicated to this topic?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I started using a program recommended in another thread called Da Vinci resolve. Free and easy. I'm an IT guy by trade but never have been any good at anything visual design wise and I have a lot of fun making my warzone highlight reels and stuff with it

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/VFTClbA.mp4

idgi, it's sharp watching it on my HD and then the imgur upload is really blurry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
IMGUR is compressing the poo poo out of it