Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I'M ACTUALLY EXTREMELY GOOD AT DARK SOULS

Nah I didn't get the impression they were saying git gud, anyway my complaint isn't so much that enemies are tough or impossible to beat, more that most of them have attacks that are too fast to read and are annoying to fight because they encourage a specific way of playing (shield/out-range)

Maybe I'm just getting older and my reflexes aren't what they used to be...

Speaking of reflexes, I really dislike that dodge roll activates when you release the button and not when you press it down. I wish there was a way to change it to dodge on button press

E; oh I just remembered something else that grinds my gears, attacks that look like they are going to be strong, heavy, slow attacks... but actually they were pretending and the attack comes out SUPER FAST. Lothric knights are aaaaassholes at doing this :argh:

Moola fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I have a question regarding one of the quests. Yuria asks you obliquely to kill Orbeck for her quest line. However, I'm doing a caster run for this particular playthrough. I don't have any doubts Orbeck will try to gut me the first chance he gets. So after I kill him, is there any way to get more spells or is the Lord of Hollows best suited for a non-caster run? Does any of this even matter because I'm playing Cinders and it does strange things to the quests?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

DoubleNegative posted:

I have a question regarding one of the quests. Yuria asks you obliquely to kill Orbeck for her quest line. However, I'm doing a caster run for this particular playthrough. I don't have any doubts Orbeck will try to gut me the first chance he gets. So after I kill him, is there any way to get more spells or is the Lord of Hollows best suited for a non-caster run? Does any of this even matter because I'm playing Cinders and it does strange things to the quests?

It doesn't matter no matter what, it's a completely optional side quest

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

DoubleNegative posted:

In vanilla, when you kill him you can give his ashes to the old lady and buy from her any spells that Orbeck hadn’t yet sold you. However, because you can’t give her sorcery scrolls, if you want to buy all Orbeck’s spells you need to first give him all four scrolls before you kill him, which means beating almost the whole game.

I have no idea how this works in Cinders though.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Moola posted:

I'M ACTUALLY EXTREMELY GOOD AT DARK SOULS

Nah I didn't get the impression they were saying git gud, anyway my complaint isn't so much that enemies are tough or impossible to beat, more that most of them have attacks that are too fast to read and are annoying to fight because they encourage a specific way of playing (shield/out-range)

Maybe I'm just getting older and my reflexes aren't what they used to be...

Speaking of reflexes, I really dislike that dodge roll activates when you release the button and not when you press it down. I wish there was a way to change it to dodge on button press

E; oh I just remembered something else that grinds my gears, attacks that look like they are going to be strong, heavy, slow attacks... but actually they were pretending and the attack comes out SUPER FAST. Lothric knights are aaaaassholes at doing this :argh:

I realize I typed what I typed and then I remembered the stupid outrider knights and the spiders and the dog monster on the bridge. So yeah there are some enemies that I think are a little silly, but they are relatively rare.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
When you get two dogs that are attacking in perfect sync so that when one of their attacks finishes the other hits you before you can punish, and then you panic roll into more enemies and the children are screaming and the houses are burning, sirens in the distance and I just want to leave please stop dogs!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've never gone down into the water reservoir for the covenant with the Ears of Aldrich or whatever. Because gently caress those dogs.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SHISHKABOB posted:

I've never gone down into the water reservoir for the covenant with the Ears of Aldrich or whatever. Because gently caress those dogs.

I actually meant just regular dogs but yeah that place is... It's just mean

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I'm bad at those dogs but I don't actually have a problem with their design, they telegraph their attacks and they're unlikely to one shot you, and if you're careful you can pull one at a time iirc

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hmm what's worse, climing into a reservoir to fight two pontiff beasts for a covenant or climbing into a well to fight two shark giabns for a sword

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

You can lure the beasts out 1 by 1. As long as you're beating on their face you'll get a stagger at which point the thing kills itself, big slow weapons help. Or if you wanna be really cheesy just keep tossing Chaos Bed Vestiges at them (Pyromancy is seriously ezmode for 100% of this game's content).

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

And Tyler Too! posted:

You can lure the beasts out 1 by 1. As long as you're beating on their face you'll get a stagger at which point the thing kills itself, big slow weapons help. Or if you wanna be really cheesy just keep tossing Chaos Bed Vestiges at them (Pyromancy is seriously ezmode for 100% of this game's content).

My fav bit to this strat is when you think you have one of them contained, and it's nearly dead... but then the other one Kramer's over and flattens you

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
I'm the red phantom so bad at pvp that I need to camp in the sea of arrows by the first ringed city bonfire and pray the archers make the kill for me.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I'm the white phantom that points down at the speed of light when I and my 3 other friends manage to gank a single red

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Moola posted:

I'm the white phantom that points down at the speed of light when I and my 3 other friends manage to gank a single red

Lmao, this forever.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

DoubleNegative posted:

You don't have to kill Orbek at all to do Yuria's questline though. In fact, in order to get her reward for it you don't even have to actively kill him. If you progress through the game normally and buy every single spell from him after giving him every scroll, and exhaust his dialogue, his corpse will appear in a chair in the Archives after the Twin princes fight. Give those ashes to Yuria before beating Cinder and she'll give you the reward.

Note: I have no idea how/if Cinders might effect this.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
I don't care for PVP, and I have a backlog of podcasts, so when I get invaded I just sit by the bonfire and wait to have a 1v1 duel.

I seem to have a 50/50 record of actually fighting the phantom, or just waiting 20 min until they peace out.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

feelix posted:

It doesn't matter no matter what, it's a completely optional side quest

Logan 5 posted:

You don't have to kill Orbek at all to do Yuria's questline though. In fact, in order to get her reward for it you don't even have to actively kill him. If you progress through the game normally and buy every single spell from him after giving him every scroll, and exhaust his dialogue, his corpse will appear in a chair in the Archives after the Twin princes fight. Give those ashes to Yuria before beating Cinder and she'll give you the reward.

Note: I have no idea how/if Cinders might effect this.

skasion posted:

In vanilla, when you kill him you can give his ashes to the old lady and buy from her any spells that Orbeck hadn’t yet sold you. However, because you can’t give her sorcery scrolls, if you want to buy all Orbeck’s spells you need to first give him all four scrolls before you kill him, which means beating almost the whole game.

I have no idea how this works in Cinders though.

Thanks y'all! I went and looked up the quests on the Cinders wiki and it looks like, similar to Greirat, they pulled out most of Orbeck's questline. So you just have to give him one of the sorcery scrolls like usual, and then he just remains in Firelink forevermore. You can also just buy the Morion blade from Yuria at any point, so it looks like I didn't need to worry after all. :ms:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Kind of disappointing that Orbeck is an assasin that never actually tries to kill you or anyone else.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Isn't his whole deal that he's extremely repentant and guilt-ridden that he had to become an assassin because he didn't have the chops for the more academic magic school?

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

YF-23 posted:

Isn't his whole deal that he's extremely repentant and guilt-ridden that he had to become an assassin because he didn't have the chops for the more academic magic school?

He did all the dirty work while they kept telling him "oh yeah we're gonna get around to teaching you the REAL sorcery any day now." After he turned undead he realized that was bullshit and they were never going to teach him anything so he just wants to learn new spells and forget about all that.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKZCrQZwNx8

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

YF-23 posted:

I think there’s just one magic school and the reason he ended up doing their dirty work is because he was too poor to get in otherwise. Then he realizes it was bullshit and they were never going to treat him as a real student anyway.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
I still haven't done a sword and board playthrough yet. Is Lothric Knight Sword still the best straight sword? I'll probably go sharp

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
more or less, yes. dark sword is better for str and basically any straight sword is fairly strong.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I find it difficult to not use Ithyrll straight sword on a s&b run because frostbite is just so broken

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

DS3 (on the Aussie PS store at least) is on sale at the moment, 75% off. I'm very tempted to get it... how active is DS3 on the PS4 in terms of multiplayer these days?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

neurotech posted:

DS3 (on the Aussie PS store at least) is on sale at the moment, 75% off. I'm very tempted to get it... how active is DS3 on the PS4 in terms of multiplayer these days?

:getin:

I played DS3 first, and it's dank and good.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

neurotech posted:

Not it's peak, but still very. So long as you're roughly matched or slightly overtuned to the area and level ranges expected for a section, you won't struggle to find people to play with.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
The Champions Ashes mod just got a huge update a few days ago, they added a load of new weapons, including most of the firearms from Bloodborne. Most of the trick weapons are now in the game with proper transformation functionality too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTiUmrYk1EQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtEfAcoMPXg

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

neurotech posted:

Change of plan. I'm going to re-play it on PC rather than re-buying it on PS4 etc.

With that said, what is a fun build to play for someone in my situation?

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

i only recently picked up the game and found it's pretty active during Australia times, though it gets less active at around 125 during ng++. been levelling a dex lucerne character to mess around with in pvp and i see a ton of activity in the appropriate zones during the evening.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

amenbrotep posted:

i only recently picked up the game and found it's pretty active during Australia times, though it gets less active at around 125 during ng++. been levelling a dex lucerne character to mess around with in pvp and i see a ton of activity in the appropriate zones during the evening.

PS4 or PC?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Yea my buddy and I get invaded all the time on Ps4 and its actually fun when you get out of twinktown aka high lothric wall.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

neurotech posted:

PS4 or PC?

PC. Still get the occasional issue with lag against polish pro dark souls players etc but I seem largely to run into aussies and asian players whom the netcode treats pretty well. summon signs for bosses seem pretty prevalent but i never really used them

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Super late to the party here. Just finished Ringed City yesterday and as much as I enjoyed Gael, I'm still salty about gating him behind some random summon elite-level pvp shittery :argh:

Great game overall though.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
You can set your game to offline mode and fight an NPC boss instead you know

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Is there a way to disable the big crossbow in the Smouldering Lake? I can't get any of the shinies without getting destroyed by it. Tried shooting at it but it always gets me. Thanks

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Moola posted:

You can set your game to offline mode and fight an NPC boss instead you know
also, it's a good and cool asymmetrical fight

BigHandsVince posted:

Is there a way to disable the big crossbow in the Smouldering Lake? I can't get any of the shinies without getting destroyed by it. Tried shooting at it but it always gets me. Thanks
You can't damage it and disabling it means going through a long route that starts in demon ruins. tbh it's better to just get used to timing the rolls and scooping up the items, once you learn the timing you can do it by the sound of the bolts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BigHandsVince posted:

e; nvm