Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Whew, dark soul cheev done. For some reason I thought the master of rings just required the base versions, not all the various +'s. Probably wouldn't have gone for it if I wasn't mistaken about that but by the time I finished all the covenants I was into full sunk cost mode. That NG++ Nameless King is a mean bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Gobblecoque posted:

Whew, dark soul cheev done. For some reason I thought the master of rings just required the base versions, not all the various +'s. Probably wouldn't have gone for it if I wasn't mistaken about that but by the time I finished all the covenants I was into full sunk cost mode. That NG++ Nameless King is a mean bastard.

On my ++ playthrough right now. Not looking forward to NK.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

You probably mixed it up with "it doesn't require the +3 rings from the ringed city"

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

codo27 posted:

He's still gotta hit you doesn't he? Out maneuver him.

Playing again now I'm shocked at how much PvP I used to play at launch when its such a laggy crapshoot even at the best of times

the concept of dark souls pvp is really enticing. It's just a shame the netcode and P2P hosting sucks rear end

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I have been doing a lot of the Spears of the Church today and I have denied so many people I almost feel guilty, I killed the same player 3 times in a row and at our 4th encounter they yanked their router. Vordt's hammer and 60 STR will 3-shot drat near everyone and you can abuse the hell out of the hyperarmor for some easy trades.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
until you run into someone who has a weapon that is fast enough that they can attack and then roll out of the end of their own attack animation before yours connects, and so they can easily harass you to death with their spear or estoc or whatever

of course, you will almost never run into that player which is also why I was able to farm all the way up to the final spear of the church reward by exclusively poisecasting sunlight spear point blank because people just trade with you and die instead of rolling

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Yeah spearbroing made me feel like a real jerk sometimes. I weep for all those poor fallen knights that summoned Patches and weren't able to kill the first painting guardian before I got there. What a massacre.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

until you run into someone who has a weapon that is fast enough that they can attack and then roll out of the end of their own attack animation before yours connects, and so they can easily harass you to death with their spear or estoc or whatever

of course, you will almost never run into that player which is also why I was able to farm all the way up to the final spear of the church reward by exclusively poisecasting sunlight spear point blank because people just trade with you and die instead of rolling

Does dunking halberd nerds count? Cuz I am currently undefeated wrt Spearchurching.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
halberds are way slower than spears and can't do what I'm talking about, but to be totally accurate purely from a frame data perspective spears can't quite either-but they're much closer, so if the spear is attacking even slightly before the greatclub user the greatclub will be too slow to trade. so a spear user who is harassing a greatclub user from the edge of their reach becomes extremely hard to do anything to, because basically the only way the spear user gets hit is if they just attack into the greatclub instead of being patient

if you use a greatclub class weapon and fight someone who's using something like a rotten ghru dagger or curved sword and who is experienced in pvp 1v1 you can experience the true suffering of a). the opponent's attacks being fast enough that they can hit you and roll before you hit them back even if you both started attacking at literally the exact same time, and b). the opponent being able to roll your attacks and hit you before you can act if their timing is good enough because your recovery is so goddamn long(this is true of a larger number of weapons, including the aforementioned spears). this and many other things are good reasons why no one should take ds3 dueling too seriously

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
iirc halberds deal so little blockstun that straightswords get to attack first after blocking a halberd attack by such a large margin that the halberd will always lose the trade if they press r1 again :pwn:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I enjoy panning the camera all dramatic like and taking screenshots about as much as playing the game proper

I had been looking forward to this fight in my first playthrough since launch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvs9sdpSLZA

codo27 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 25, 2020

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
Holy poo poo miracles are good in Cinders. I just sprint around melting things with lightning arrows, this rules.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Just beat Friede on my NG+ character. Such a good boss fight!

When tank instead of fastrolling hobo with Lapp gear and a Black Knight greatsword.

Thanks, Gael. Thael.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Morality_Police posted:

Holy poo poo miracles are good in Cinders. I just sprint around melting things with lightning arrows, this rules.

The gnawing/bleed miracles are great too! A lot more things are weak to bleed than I had expected.

Bomb-omb Texting
Sep 24, 2009
Is there a better download link for Cinders other than nexus. Somehow it's so slow to download from there.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

axolotl farmer posted:

Just beat Friede on my NG+ character. Such a good boss fight!

When tank instead of fastrolling hobo with Lapp gear and a Black Knight greatsword.

Thanks, Gael. Thael.

I'm going to do a beeftank run for my next character and worry less about rolling and more about facetanking with greatshields. A lot of the good armor is so drat heavy.

I've never gotten so much crap from a single Darkwraith, and it had to be on my sorcerer. I would have loved this sword on my melee guys. I know tongues are super common (because invading is fun) but they are technically a really lovely droprate from mobs.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

okku posted:

Is there a better download link for Cinders other than nexus. Somehow it's so slow to download from there.

https://github.com/vawser/Cinders-DS3

Bomb-omb Texting
Sep 24, 2009

Thanks! With FP regen, and miracles, somehow this feels way easier than normal. Still pretty cool tho.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Some people in the discord say that Cinders doesn't really start until NG+++.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

If there's one thing I've learned about PvP these past few days is that if you don't have a bigass 2hander just don't even waste your time. Everyone is packing a bigass 2hander, just hyperarmor your way to an easy win!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
would sincerely love to fall through a portal to whatever opposite world you've been playing in

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

And Tyler Too! posted:

If there's one thing I've learned about PvP these past few days is that if you don't have a bigass 2hander just don't even waste your time. Everyone is packing a bigass 2hander, just hyperarmor your way to an easy win!
Scimitar will run in, hit you, and get out of reach again between 2h swings, while spamming LB to wiggle and taunt.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

And Tyler Too! posted:

Stop trying to trade damage with great/ultra weapons. Dodge and then punish when they whiff. Great/ultra attacks are well telegraphed and leave the user wide open if the hit doesn't connect. With some luck you can sometimes just roll through their attack and backstab.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

That sounds nice and easy but its too unpredictable with the lag. Almost as bad as old cs on dialup when my friend thought he was shooting me but on my screen I'm shooting him in the back

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I loved DeS and DS, was disappointed by DS2 and am currently being pretty blown away by BB. How did this game go?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I loved DeS and DS, was disappointed by DS2 and am currently being pretty blown away by BB. How did this game go?
Do you mean "based on your previous experiences, can we predict if you'll like DS3"? If so, yes, you'll love it.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Sped up DS1 combat, enemies are MUCH faster than DS1. It feels more like a sequel to 1 than 2 does. That being said - if your favorite thing about DS1 was how interconnected the world is and the sheer number of options you have for routes to take - you're going to be disappointed. DS3 is the most linear of the games. You have basically 2 choices, and 1 of them involves beating a late-game boss early.

Still a great game, but very very linear.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
DS3 favours Bloodborne-style builds, so if you're coming from BB, it'll be a smooth transition.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

And Tyler Too! posted:

Faith is pretty solid in both PvE and PvP but I wouldn't recommend a pure faith build until you've really packed on some levels. I would go STR/FTH or DEX/FTH to get the ball rolling and give you some extra weapon options.

Equipment you may want:

Sunlight Straight Sword - This weapon is drat-near mandatory for faith builds. it's a Straight Sword, which means it clowns content on principle, but it gets a baked-in Sacred Oath, saving you 2 attunement slots!
Wolnir's Holy Sword - Greatsword with absurdly low stat requirements, and it has a baked-in miracle as well! Its weapon art is great for pushing mobs/invaders off of ledges.
Saint Bident - A spear with a strong bias towards Faith. Pretty cut & dry.
Lothric Knight Greatsword - A greatsword with innate lightning damage than can be infused/buffed (this is almost never the case). The stat requirements are pretty steep however.
Rose of Ariandel - Whips suck rear end. This thing is only good for its weapon art, in which you whip yourself for a small loss in HP but a boost to miracle strength.
Crucifix of the Mad King - Swing a corpse around! :black101: The weapon art has 3 randomly chosen possibilities. Pairs nicely with Dark Blade and really shines as a PvP weapon.
Canvas Talisman - The best talisman for PvP poisecasting. If you plan to fight other players, pick this up.
Yorshka's Chime - The best chime for faith minmaxing. Can only be acquired by killing Company Captain Yorshka, so unless you have absolutely zero interest in leveling up the Darkmoon Covenant, you may want to reach rank 2 before offing her.
Morne's Ring - Boosts miracles.
Ring of the Sun's First Born - Boosts miracles even more, stacks with Morne's.

Infusions (for misc weapons):

Heavy if you're going STR
Sharp if you're going DEX
Raw if you're going all-in on FTH and need something to buff with miracles.
Lightning (scales with FTH) vs stuff weak to lighting. Remember that split damage can backfire if the enemy is resistant to it.

Good-rear end miracles:

Tears of Denial - An attack that would have otherwise killed you will leave you at 1hp.
Sacred Oath - Inflict 10% more damage, receive 10% less. Requires rank 1 in Sunlight Warriors.
Deep Protection - The poor man's Sacred Oath. The damage boost/mitigation isn't as significant but it boosts your resistances and stamina regen to compensate.
Lightning Stake - Drive a big lightning bolt directly into the ground in front of you. Very strong against roll-attacks/parry spam in PvP. This skill is excellent for poisecasting.
Lightning Arrow - Amazing PvP finisher, you can hold the cast to catch someone coming out of a roll.
Blessed Weapon - Increases the physical damage of your melee weapon and adds HP regen. Also makes skeletons *stay* dead.
Lightning Blade - Pretty self-explanatory. Puts lightning on your weapon.
Darkmoon Blade - Lightning blade, but with magic. Requires rank 2 in Darkmoon Blades.
Dark Blade - Faith is just lousy with weapon infusions. Adds dark to your weapon.
Dorhy's Gnawing - For cheesing poo poo with bleed procs. Works very nicely against Nameless King/Friede.

Logan 5 posted:

There are some good recommends here, but from experience running some Faith builds at SL60 to 90 in PVP, I got some thoughts to add that might be helpful (yes I've played way too much of this game while in covid-time):
    Weapons/Equips
  • Saint Bident is a ostensibly Faith weapon, but its scaling isn't near as good as it should be. For elemental infusion, Dark gems actually outperforms Lightning gems on it on most Faith builds until you get to about the 40 FTH softcap and +6 upgrade before Lightning overtakes it. Otherwise the best thing it has going for it is its absurd range, mostly it has a very boring poke-y spear moveset
  • Lothric Knight Greatsword - I assume you meant that it is always the case that it is either infused or buffed? Anyway, this giant hunk of metal can slay if you can wield it and convince your opponents to run into it. At high levels it is actually one of the only weapons that a Blessed infusion can actually be ideal on
  • Rose of Ariandel is mostly only good for its buff that whips you and gives you about a 25% bonus to offensive miracles for 2 minutes. The self-damage buff takes a long rear end time to do though and does some decent damage to yourself, but when you combine this + a cast of Oath of Sunlight from the Sunlight SS + wearing both Ring of the Sun's 1st Born + Morne's Ring, then poisecasting trading Lightning Stake (or Lightning Storm if you can get it off) with the Canvas Talisman, you can nearly 1-shot most phantoms/Hosts. Although I won't defend the Rose as a good weapon (it isn't), I will point out that it does have a few underrated things about it - 1) it has a hammer moveset even though it is a whip so its attacks come out pretty fast even though it gets no hyperarmor when 2-handed, 2) it has deceptively great range if you can space well, 3) offhanding it adds to mix up potential and although it doesn't have poisecasting or as good a Spell Buff, you can still cast with it, and 4) as a whip, it is unparriable
  • Saint-tree Bellvine - since you can get this fairly early game compared to the other good Faith stuff, it really deserves a mention. Having this actively in your character's hand automatically gives you the max "virtual" dexterity for casting speed
  • Sage Ring - increases casting speed. With the normal version you need the Sage Ring equipped + at least 20 Dex to reach the max cast speed cap, which is frankly a massive investment for a Faith build, especially in early/mid game or if you aren't doing a FTH/DEX build. The Sage Ring+2 though only requires 10 Dex to reach the casting speed cap, but obviously requires either going all the way to NG+2 to get it or having someone drop it for you. This is why having the Saint-tree Bellvine in hand, even if you are using something else to cast, can be super useful

Seems like they have just started playing a new run and are going Faith, so here are a few early weapons that are good to use with low stat requirements if you are doing most Faith investment, and can still be great to use when infused with Lightning once you get to mid- and late game:
  • Long Sword - Its the most basic of basic, but that doesn't mean its not good
  • Mace - Never sleep on the Mace. Low stat requirements at 12 STR 7 DEX, some hyperarmor when 2-handed and for a cheaper weight than Greatswords, deceptive range and can roll catch well in PVP, does great damage on a lot of infusions, makes the Catacombs skeletons laughably easy, and the WA is goddamn Perseverance. The Mace is pretty top-tier in my book
  • Bastard Sword - It's the shortest Greatsword, but it does have lower stat requirements and higher base damage. Its WA being the stomp is silly for this weapon and slow/easy to see coming, but in PVP since you don't see this weapon often people will fall for it
  • Claymore - It's the Claymore
  • Flamberge - Super similar to the Claymore, with a less good R2 and you have to get really lucky to get it as a rare drop in the Undead Settlement from either of the 2 thralls wielding it. It's rolling attack comes out faster though and the Stance WA to R2 is bugged in that it does the damage it should have done if it was a Stomp upsweep, so it does way more damage than the Claymore's WA R2
  • Lucerne - Picked up outside of Emma's room in High Wall. Although it feels slow, this thing can be great once you get used to it. In PVP landing a R1 to WA to another R1 is a true combo too
  • Partizan - Won't be as good as either the Saint Bident or 4-Pronged Plow when infused Lightning later on, and doesn't have the range those 2 have either. B-u-t, in terms of PVP it has a horizontal sweep R2, making it one of the best spears for mix ups and to avoid getting parried by parry spammers. Found early game hanging on a body you have to shoot down in the Undead Settlement, I missed this my first playthrough
  • Falchion - Drops from certain skeletons on the way into Smouldering Lake. It is kind of like the Broadsword - its moveset is basic but makes up for it with higher damage, and it is still a fast curved sword and a better option than the scimitar if you want a light curved sword with little stat investment. Pretty much does the best of all the curved swords when Lightning infused later too
  • Dragonslayer's Axe - More mid-game-ish and you have to make sure you follow Sirris' questline for it, but in terms of damage... well it already has innate lightning, so if you slap Lightning Blade on this with a good spell buff you'll probably just melt stuff
  • Millwood Battle Axe - Ok so this is technically available early game since you can access the Painted World of Ariandel and the Snowfield as soon as you get to the Cleansing Chapel, but it will basically require you to do a run past a lot of dogs and dodging some Millwood Knights to go up a tower to get it (bonus that you get the Ethereal Oak Shield and the Captain's Ashes for buying the Millwood set too). I'd recommend this though if you've played before and know where to go
  • Dark Hand - It's the Dark Hand. Get it if you want to do Dancer early basically and want to make it easier. Killing Dancer early will also give you early access to the Sunlight SS if you know where to get it in Lothric Castle

Miracles
  • Tears is good for obvious reasons, but if you are a caster build at all it takes up 2 spell slots, which is pretty valuable in early/mid game. Save Tears for end-game or meta PVP imho
  • Lightning Arrow is just objectively great, and super annoying to fight against especially if you don't have a Lothric Knight Shield on you. But it is the ultimate twink miracle at lower levels, considering it is end-game content from the Ringed City. If OP is just doing a regular Faith based run this really won't help them much. Side note: one fun thing it can do is clown Yhorm without using the Storm Ruler, since you can hit his head repeatedly with it to stagger him and get ripostes
  • Dark Blade buff doesn't get as much of a multiplicative modifier to Spell Buff as either Lightning Blade or Darkmoon Blade (adds dark damage equal to 85% of your SB versus lightning/magic damage equal to 95% of your SB). So even though it is dark damage it can be less than optimal to use most of the time. With the exception of the Crucifix of the Mad King, another super late-game Ringed City item but dark buffing its innate dark damage can absolutely wreck (make sure to pair with a Lingering Dragoncrest Ring to extend buff length as well, and the +2 version if you can get it)
  • Darkmoon Blade requires 30 proofs. This is absolutely one of the most annoying things to get in the game, if you want this plan ahead on how to get it - either be a blue early/mid game and hope and pray for lots of blue summons, or go through the game to get all item discovery stuff and prepare podcasts for mind-numbing Silver Knight farming, or honestly just cheat it in
  • Sunlight Spear is also late game since it is transposed from the base game's final boss, but if you want a lightning miracle with range that isn't Lightning Arrow, this is your only option instead of the severely underwhelming Lightning Spear or Great Lightning Spear. Even so, in terms of ranged casts, CBV or CSS will pretty much always beat this out, and Sunlight Spear does a secondary hitbox with more damage at point blank range anyway
  • Replenishment is a good bang-for-your-FP-buck if you want to use a spell slot for some healing. Don't use it if you have Lingering Dragoncrest Ring equipped though, it heals the same total amount but takes longer. Another late-game item that can be good for Faith builds to carry is a Sacred Charm of Filianore, since its WA that gives you some HP regen for a bit stays active even if you unequip it completely, unlike any other Chime with Gentle Prayer which requires you to keep it in hand for the HP regen to be active
well anyway that's a lot of unnecessary words about dark souls 3, hope it helps though

Thanks for the very detailed responses, those were really helpful and I'm quoting them here in full again because they deserve more attention! In the end, I decided leveling INT/FTH and playing as more of a pyromancer though (at least until I get my hands on Sunlight Spear) with the mace as the main weapon (also tried out the Wolnir holy sword which is quite fun and looks rad, though probably better if I respecced into STR/FTH). Pyromancy is disgustingly OP and you can still use miracles with it!

In other news, I got my first (sorta) friendly invader in the catacombs of Carthus. He was clearly much better at PVP than me and toyed with me for a bit until I was almost dead, then killed himself on one of those rolling skeleton boulders. Maybe he had pity because I managed to parry him exactly once (the damage wasn't nearly enough though) and could tell I clearly wasn't equipped for PVP. I had fun though, so thanks random invader!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I’m in NG+ and got an invader that hit me once (while blocking with a 100 Phys shield, +9 Knight Shield). Hit went right through the block, staggered me and took away most of my hp, then finished me off with a poke while I was still staggered. That same bulid could take a hit or two from Havel in the Ringed City swamp without flinching.

Was that some kind of gimmick build? How do you even get that kind of damage?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

What weapon were they using? Pure STR musclebeasts laugh at shields if they're using Ledo's Hammer or the Dragon Tooth. I've flattened players with fully charged R2's.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Some kind of pointy thing. Could be a swordspear or spear.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I still much prefer Souls to Sekiro but I'm left wishing the combat was a little more like the latter. I just want to be able to move as fast as I can press the buttons. Basically I want to have my cake and eat it too, I want to have my giant gently caress off axe but be able to swing it as fast as you could a dagger

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

axolotl farmer posted:

Some kind of pointy thing. Could be a swordspear or spear.

I mean that seems a bit suspect, although not entirely outside the realm of possibility. Were they naked or wearing super light armor, or already had low HP? If it was the Dragonslayer Swordspear, or something else maybe infused with a lightning gem, then the Knight shield doesn't block lightning damage that much so you would have taken some damage even when blocking. Although in most cases even that really shouldn't have taken away that much HP from the hit that broke your block.

Was it their opening attack or had you been already fighting and/or rolling? If it was mid-fight then yeah, you probably did not have nearly enough stamina to block them and got instantly guard broken, and then got hit with an instability attack, which could wreck you if they had the Leo ring or a gimmicky damage build.

NG+ level doesn't matter for matchmaking, just SL and weapon upgrade level. What level was this and what was your VIG at? Also there is no Havel in the Ringed City swamp, did you mean Ledo or something?

KonvexKonkav posted:

Thanks for the very detailed responses, those were really helpful and I'm quoting them here in full again because they deserve more attention! In the end, I decided leveling INT/FTH and playing as more of a pyromancer though (at least until I get my hands on Sunlight Spear) with the mace as the main weapon (also tried out the Wolnir holy sword which is quite fun and looks rad, though probably better if I respecced into STR/FTH). Pyromancy is disgustingly OP and you can still use miracles with it!

In other news, I got my first (sorta) friendly invader in the catacombs of Carthus. He was clearly much better at PVP than me and toyed with me for a bit until I was almost dead, then killed himself on one of those rolling skeleton boulders. Maybe he had pity because I managed to parry him exactly once (the damage wasn't nearly enough though) and could tell I clearly wasn't equipped for PVP. I had fun though, so thanks random invader!

Happy to help, I'm not the best, but I'm one of those unfortunate people that still likes PVP in this game so always ready to share if it keeps others playing too. If you've gone into a pyromancy build instead I can give a similar breakdown of what can be helpful PVP-wise. Although both Faith and Pyro casting builds can be fun, imho pyros mostly work better in PVP, although both are very stat hungry and can be difficult to make work at SLs lower than like 80.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

The guy was wearing one of the knight armor sets, not Lapps, but full helmet, platemail and shield. I was wearing the Lapp set, and carrying a Knight Shield. I'm at level 137 or something ridiculous. First attack, I was just walking towards them with my shield up. Not really interested in PvP.

s/Havel/Iron Dragonslayer/

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Without knowing any more about what exactly they were using or seeing footage, yeah that might have been cheating of some kind, although not anything I'm familiar with. The highest possible level that could even invade you is like about ~SL150, more likely you get invaded by meta level players from SL120 - 133 mostly.

Although you aren't interested in PVP, if you are playing online on PC it can be a good idea to use one of the anti-cheat mods. They certainly aren't foolproof, but they can prevent a lot of the nonsense or at least give you a heads up that the person is cheating. Blocking their steam profile(s) also prevents them from ever connecting to you again.

Even so, in general blocking repeated hits with a medium shield is... not a great idea. Knight shield is probably fine for most PVE, but if you get invaded and you want to be able to block some hits a fully upgraded Black Knight shield is probably a better idea for the stability on a medium shield, or at that level if you can spare the weight a greatshield of some kind. There are lots of tools that can be used to break your block though, even on the greatshields. If I invade at any level and the first thing I see is that the Host or phantoms immediately blocks with a medium shield and keeps it up while locked onto me, I'm usually not going to have too difficult a time taking them out.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Logan 5 posted:

If I invade at any level and the first thing I see is that the Host or phantoms immediately blocks with a medium shield and keeps it up while locked onto me, I'm usually not going to have too difficult a time taking them out.

It's amazing how few people are aware that Stance+R1 (straight swords, some greatswords) is literally designed to guard break, it's a free gut-stab! Anyone keeping their shields up is volunteering to get dunked. (This is also super helpful against mobs with shields.)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vFgVQAGZFI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4P82TRY_oY

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I love limit breakers and I'm glad they're still making videos after all these years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So in an attempt to distract me from the Demon's Souls remake (among other things), I booted up Dark Souls 3 after having not played it for quite a few months. The last thing I remember doing in game was fighting a big demon with Siegward, and making friends with the giant who shoots the arrows from the top of the tower. Can't remember where I was going, or what I was supposed to be doing. I don't think I've made a huge amount of progress.

My current stats:

quote:

LVL: 26

VGR: 14
ATT: 10
END: 16
VIT: 18
STR: 18
DEX: 14
INT: 9
FTH: 9
LCK: 7

Apart from being lost on where to go and what to do, I'm also not sure how to build my character. Right now, I'm wielding the Halberd, which was my mainstay for DS1 (it also functions like it did in DS1, unlike DS2). However, I think about trying something different. At the moment, I thought about going for a greatsword or ultra-greatsword, since those look pretty cool. However, I'm also skeptical about doing that. It's an issue I've had with the other Soulsborne ganes, where I'm always hesitant to experiment with other weapons, because it seems better to stay with one dedicated weapon, and experimentation seems risky (in terms of spending upgrade materials).