Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Why should I infuse a weapon with heavy, sharp, or quality gems? Because, similarly, when comparing the non-infused numbers to the numbers after infusion they often don’t change much. For instance (these numbers are just like hypotheticals) I want to make my astora greatsword a sharp one:

Before infusion it’s 189 base damage + 90 AR (and I assume this is based on my personal strength level and dexterity level, and the weapon’s own ratings for those two attributes being D/C respectively)

After infusion for sharp the weapons ratings for strength/dexterity become E/A, respectively. So, an upgrade from the infusion. But the actual damage numbers change like: 178 + 85.

The overall damage after infusing a greatsword that can reach A rank for strength with a heavy gen, or A rank for dexterity with sharp, or splitting it with a quality Infusion.. it just never really calculates out to seem worth it at all. Pardon my crappy hypothetical example (phone posting) but basically, am I totally missing something? Or is infusion just not really worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

So I'm trying out this game again but with a kb+mouse my camera drifts during combat for a cinematic view of fights which then makes it super lovely to have any control over the fight. Is there anyway to stop this without lock on?

How much does it drift? I don't think I ever found a solution for a very slight drift when dashing but that could easily be counteracted.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Why should I infuse a weapon with heavy, sharp, or quality gems? Because, similarly, when comparing the non-infused numbers to the numbers after infusion they often don’t change much. For instance (these numbers are just like hypotheticals) I want to make my astora greatsword a sharp one:

Before infusion it’s 189 base damage + 90 AR (and I assume this is based on my personal strength level and dexterity level, and the weapon’s own ratings for those two attributes being D/C respectively)

After infusion for sharp the weapons ratings for strength/dexterity become E/A, respectively. So, an upgrade from the infusion. But the actual damage numbers change like: 178 + 85.

The overall damage after infusing a greatsword that can reach A rank for strength with a heavy gen, or A rank for dexterity with sharp, or splitting it with a quality Infusion.. it just never really calculates out to seem worth it at all. Pardon my crappy hypothetical example (phone posting) but basically, am I totally missing something? Or is infusion just not really worth it.

Get more dexterity.
No, even more than you're thinking right now.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 1, 2021

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Infusions are a little annoying in DS3, because it's weapon specific how much they actually do, and they changed in a patch as well so it might be even more confusing, and you might find outdated info.

Basically, in general unless the weapon is weird, you decrease base damage a little but gain a lot more scaling in the type you infuse with, but if you're low-ish on the stat you increase scaling this, for the moment this will make the weapon worse.

The letter grade for scaling means very little, by the way - there's a pretty big range of stat-increases-damage-by-x for each letter.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
if you're leveling a damage stat you probably wanna hit 40, unless you're invading at a specific level and really want vig or something

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

yo can i ascend my blade now

shove it in your forehead

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Moola posted:

shove it in your forehead

how about your butt

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Guys guys the Elden Ring leaks have started

https://www.resetera.com/threads/vg....386687/page-11

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
Pretty into the idea of mounted combat in a souls game. Can your horse roll out of attacks too?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Got to admit I am still a little trepaditious about an open world Souls game, but if any studio has earnt my faith over the last few generations it's From

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Give it Breath of the Wild shrines but each shrine is a mini-Sen's Fortress.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
what's the difference in having a SL90 for PvP versus SL120? Im at the end of my NG cycle now at level 90. is there a difference? should I stay 90 or level up to 120?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Thanks to the tips from you all to learn how to parry pontiff knights, I just parried the everliving gently caress out of pontiff sulyvahn. I think someone mentioned the skill might help in an upcoming boss, he struck me as a very fast moving, aggressive boss and a tactic of roll dodging won’t work too well. So it took me maybe 10-12 runs to learn what his attacks are and how to parry them, and what his second phase was. My final run was parry->riposte, parry->riposte, by then over half his health was gone so he grew wings and immediately made his double, while making his double I just laid into him and killed the double before it was done spawning, also doing a ton of damage to him, by then I basically had to hit him twice to kill him. It was nuts as hell how fast it was over.

I don’t know where to get titanite scale. I picked the profaned greatsword (what a heck of an R2 attack holy poo poo), but I can’t figure out where I would farm that stuff to upgrade it. The thief guy came back from irithyl and has 3 pieces, but that’s 48,000 souls for all 3 lol. There has to be a better way.

Also, where did you all go next? The irithyl dungeon or continue past the pontiff fight?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

g-c posted:

what's the difference in having a SL90 for PvP versus SL120? Im at the end of my NG cycle now at level 90. is there a difference? should I stay 90 or level up to 120?
if you stay at SL90 you can actually invade players who are playing through the end of the game naturally, going up to 120 basically means you only can match against people who are looking for duels or ganks

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

SL120 limits your invasions to Ringed City, or start NG+ and murder people playing the story again.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Sulyvahn is the first boss in the game that feels a little overtuned to me. It's a bit annoying when half of his sword swings feel like they have some weight behind them and it takes him a bit to move them around, and other times he just flips it at you with zero windup like it's made out of styrofoam.

Luckily I'm using Sharp Sellsword Twinblades this playthrough which are insane when two-handed with 40DEX and wrecked the poo poo out of him despite playing pretty badly. Also wrecked Aldrich solo, something I've never done before.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

I don’t know where to get titanite scale.

The big blue crystal dog in the "secret" (not very hidden) annex in the very first area dropped one for me.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Absolutely the very first thing I did with this profained greatsword was walk out of the church and blast a pontiff knight straight up into the air and flat onto their rear end with that heavy R2 fire attack. loving amazing lol

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

Thanks to the tips from you all to learn how to parry pontiff knights, I just parried the everliving gently caress out of pontiff sulyvahn. I think someone mentioned the skill might help in an upcoming boss, he struck me as a very fast moving, aggressive boss and a tactic of roll dodging won’t work too well. So it took me maybe 10-12 runs to learn what his attacks are and how to parry them, and what his second phase was. My final run was parry->riposte, parry->riposte, by then over half his health was gone so he grew wings and immediately made his double, while making his double I just laid into him and killed the double before it was done spawning, also doing a ton of damage to him, by then I basically had to hit him twice to kill him. It was nuts as hell how fast it was over.

I don’t know where to get titanite scale. I picked the profaned greatsword (what a heck of an R2 attack holy poo poo), but I can’t figure out where I would farm that stuff to upgrade it. The thief guy came back from irithyl and has 3 pieces, but that’s 48,000 souls for all 3 lol. There has to be a better way.

Also, where did you all go next? The irithyl dungeon or continue past the pontiff fight?
For Titanite Scales you can defeat the large crystal lizards. They're dumb and easily killed. You can also buy them for 20k souls a piece after you find the Dragonchaser Ashes in Archdragon Peak.

As for after Pontiff, it's really up to you. You'll need to visit both locations anyways. The path up past pontiff will let you sharpen your newfound parrying skills, and is a PvP hotspot if you're into that. The dungeon path is less so, but pretty easy if you're playing cautiously.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Is there a gizmo online that lets you play with your character stats and see what damge the weapons would do?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Yeah are you suggesting that parrying is the way to handle these black knights standing up on these tiny rear end suspended walkways? Good god lol. From never fails to surprise. My usual shield/roll evade and sword method doesn’t work on an open balcony. I’m starting to wonder how many enemies I’ve fought blocking their attacks with a standard shield when I could’ve been parrying them the whole time?

I swear every level is some new challenge that has me asking how masochistic these devs are.
I just got done fighting through streets crowded with enemies so frustrating I nearly quit playing, fought through an actual entire pitch black storehouse filled to the brim with literally invisible enemies, fought three of these black knights in the same room.. and now they want me to fight two of the black knights on the edge of an open balcony suspended hundreds of feet off the ground...

And I’m literally scarred to the point where I attack every chest I come across now.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

That area after pontiff is a love letter to Dark Souls 1's archer gauntlet in Anor Londo. Parries are your friend here. My strategy is to run past the first ones and work on the guys shooting down. Once you have the high ground go back and pick off the others. Also there's an easy way to identify mimics from actual chests: one way is to look at the chain. If it's curled up next to the chest there's treasure, if it's pointing at you it's a mimic. The second way is to watch the lid closely, treasure chests don't breathe.

Mescal posted:

Is there a gizmo online that lets you play with your character stats and see what damge the weapons would do?

https://soulsplanner.com/darksouls3/weaponatk

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 2, 2021

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

how about your butt

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
The third way to identify a mimic and even have a chance of grabbing the item without a fight, is throwing a Undead Hunter Charm at them.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

And Tyler Too! posted:

Also there's an easy way to identify mimics from actual chests: one way is to look at the chain. If it's curled up next to the chest there's treasure, if it's pointing at you it's a mimic.
This is embarrassing but it’s how I remember:

If the chain’s in a circle, it’s O-Kircle
If it’s a line, it’s mimic time

I’m not a poet

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They often deliberately obscure the chain though so you can't tell

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

They often deliberately obscure the chain though so you can't tell
If you can’t quite see, big chomps await thee

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

It was trickier in DS2 where you destroy the treasure if you hit a non-mimic cheast with a weapon. No pokes just to be safe there!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

axolotl farmer posted:

It was trickier in DS2 where you destroy the treasure if you hit a non-mimic cheast with a weapon. No pokes just to be safe there!
You had to really beat the poo poo out of it to destroy it. One sword swing wouldn't break it. Maybe if you're using a huge 2H weapon or something I guess.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Volte posted:

You had to really beat the poo poo out of it to destroy it. One sword swing wouldn't break it. Maybe if you're using a huge 2H weapon or something I guess.

it's 3 hits, not "really beat the poo poo out of it"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If you hit it once and a mimic doesn't pop out I don't know what would compel you to hit it twice more

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

multijoe posted:

If you hit it once and a mimic doesn't pop out I don't know what would compel you to hit it twice more

ds2's chest placement is often right next to enemies, it's entirely possible to destroy a wood chest by accident

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Enemies can also destroy the chests, because gently caress you

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
It is totally possible for the chests to be destroyed by accident, but I've never accidentally destroyed one while checking if it's a mimic

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I have played DS2 for probably at least two dozen NG cycles and have only gotten that hidden chest after the Ruin Sentinels once thanks to that drat exploding mummy.

Thankfully it's only a consumable.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

f#a# posted:

I have played DS2 for probably at least two dozen NG cycles and have only gotten that hidden chest after the Ruin Sentinels once thanks to that drat exploding mummy.

yeah, the important stuff is in metal chests.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Someone mentioned something about a program to edit character stats on PC? I’d like to know more about that.

Rosarita glitch is closing the program after applying changes but before leaving her menu, right?

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Saul Kain posted:

Rosarita glitch is closing the program after applying changes but before leaving her menu, right?

yes, that's the rosaria glitch

Saul Kain posted:

Someone mentioned something about a program to edit character stats on PC? I’d like to know more about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziMS_I58f1U

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

f#a# posted:

Wait, what? There’s a chest in that little hallway?

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Thanks. I’m familiar with Cheat Engine. That makes sense. That doesn’t get you banned from online services? I don’t really want to use Cheat Engine until I’ve finished a run normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

skasion posted:

Enemies can also destroy the chests, because gently caress you

I'd forgotten that part, yeah that is pretty rude