Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Toast King posted:

I played a ton of this at launch, but got busy with life right after getting to the Grand Archives and dropped off playing. I don't think I realised that I was pretty close to the end. Eventually it'd been long enough that I'd forgotten everything I was doing and decided to shelve it for a while.

Elden Ring coming out soon gave me the motivation to come back and man I forgot how much I love the combat and visuals of this game. I've forgotten all the item locations and plenty of small details so it's a small taste of playing for the first time again.

I know for sure there's a couple optional areas I never got to, plus I've picked up the DLC so I'm excited to get to that eventually. Time to power ahead and use the biggest and most ridiculous weapons I can find.

lol exact same thing happened to me, interest kind of petered out cause I was playing other games, and it turns out I stopped like one doorway before the three NPC phantoms in Grand Archives
I recommend the Vordt Hammer, it bonks good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008
This space intentionally left blank.

Most of my previous builds in DS1 have been STR, or big DEX weapons, so I'm playing pure DEX this time for the first time.

Anyway, I've made it to Anor Londo, I have a +7 Sharp Sellsword Twinblades (one chunk from Demon Ruins lizard, one chunk from Snuggly), my stats are 27 VIG 24 END 40 DEX. Aka I'm slightly overgeared for the area. But what should I focus on next? Should I fous on filling in the rest of my points in VIG and END until I reach a higher softcap? Or should I start building up my ATT and FAI/INT, so I can use nice buffs like Tears or Darkblade?

Or should I simply do the former, spend excess souls on weapon resins, and later on respec those excess points into ATT and FAI/INT so I can immediately hit spell requirements?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

Buff builds get great damage but they mostly shine in pvp or boss fights where you can buff up and just fight for a brief period before winning or losing.
They're kind of a pain to actually pve through the rest of the game with though, due to the whole limited buff duration / limited FP thing. Also it will take a pretty significant FTH investment before your buff spells get noticeably better than just using lightning resin, so it's probably better to just respec into it once you have enough points to instantly hit 40 or 60 or whatever.

It could be worth just picking up the minimum FTH/ATT for Tears of Denial though since it's more of a low maintenance set-it-and-forget-it thing.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.

Nap Ghost

Is there any chance somebody could carry a weapon from one of my my builds to another? Is that even a thing. I hosed up transforming the demon prince's soul and want to try the demon's scar for my pyromancer. I'm playing PS4 and in Wisconsin if that matters for server regions. I can give you anything I've got as payment.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

Dancer was an actual roadblock, wow she was legit more difficult than everything up to that point.

I suspect it's because I was fighting her locked on, I should know better (I typically fight cleric beast sized enemies unlocked). Oh well, I farmed some Lothric Knights for chunks, I have Siegward's slab, so now I'm the proud owner of a +10 Twinblade. That I'll try out next time I load in.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006

Young Orc

been playing again since the elden ring trailer came out and its been super active on ps4. near constant aldrich invasions and coop summons at most bosses.

finally got through all of ariandel and am working on finishing ringed city for the first time. that twin demon fight is something else and the rest doesnt sound much easier.

And Tyler Too!
Aug 15, 2007
ROCKET JOCKEY OWNS

Stichelin it is, thank you!

Phobophilia posted:

Dancer was an actual roadblock, wow she was legit more difficult than everything up to that point.

I suspect it's because I was fighting her locked on, I should know better (I typically fight cleric beast sized enemies unlocked). Oh well, I farmed some Lothric Knights for chunks, I have Siegward's slab, so now I'm the proud owner of a +10 Twinblade. That I'll try out next time I load in.

Throw some human resin on your weapon, or if you're a pyromancer, use dark fire orb. Dancer melts to dark damage, she literally has negative resistance to it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006

Young Orc

deoju posted:

Is there any chance somebody could carry a weapon from one of my my builds to another? Is that even a thing. I hosed up transforming the demon prince's soul and want to try the demon's scar for my pyromancer. I'm playing PS4 and in Wisconsin if that matters for server regions. I can give you anything I've got as payment.

sure i can help out. region shouldnt matter as long as youre using passwords.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

And Tyler Too! posted:

Throw some human resin on your weapon, or if you're a pyromancer, use dark fire orb. Dancer melts to dark damage, she literally has negative resistance to it.

Yeah I didn't realize that until after I'd killed her. Maybe next game.

Anyway I'm absolutely flush with large shards, so I decided to +6 this Lothric Knight Sword, and I can see why people like it so much. But the actual enemies themselves are terrifying. Black and Silver Knights have nothing on the range and aggression of Lothric Knights. The way I see it, the best way to kill them is to either learn all their parry timings, or use weapon skill shields so you can WA-R1 with your straight sword and knock aside their shields.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.

Nap Ghost

Sir Tonk posted:

sure i can help out. region shouldnt matter as long as youre using passwords.

Hey, thanks. I decided I was wasting too much time on the game and should stop playing. I do appreciate the offer though.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Sir Tonk posted:

been playing again since the elden ring trailer came out and its been super active on ps4. near constant aldrich invasions and coop summons at most bosses.

finally got through all of ariandel and am working on finishing ringed city for the first time. that twin demon fight is something else and the rest doesnt sound much easier.

I just beat the twin demon fight last night, it was easily the hardest boss in the game so far and a real blast. Found killing the demon from below first made the prince form the much easier of the two. Which do you all prefer to fight?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

poo poo. I didnít know there was a difference before I gave up, it just seemed like they both did the same moves.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

IIRC they alternate roles. One demon at a time will get up in your face to do melee stuff while the other will throw long-ranged pyromancies, but they can swap which is which mid-fight.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

Well, maybe a few times

Last Celebration posted:

poo poo. I didnít know there was a difference before I gave up, it just seemed like they both did the same moves.

They kinda do when both are up, but the kill order changes the super move the Demon Prince has. One form has a huge hyper beam attack, while the other summons a giant fireball that explodes into tons of falling meteors. I personally found the beam easier to deal with since when/if it misses you, there's a pretty big opening to lay into him.

multijoe
Oct 15, 2007

NYO~HO

It's fun to mix up which one you kill first, they're both very cool super moves

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

GodFish posted:

Which do you all prefer to fight?
Laserbeamguy is way easier to fight, his Super goes in one direction. The Fuckoffmeteorguy is all over the place with his Super. Although I can never remember which to kill first to get Laserguy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Laser guys cooldown was harder for me to use and his other moves kept catching me out, but fireball guy charges the meteor up for ages and I could just run away as soon as he started glowing to call them down and they would all miss.