Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Finally finished grinding out all the Covenant items offline, the longest by far was the Proofs of Concordance followed closely by the Vertebrae Shackles. Got all the achievements so far except for collecting all the rings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

IronicDongz posted:

maybe he's born with it

maybe it's maybeline

That's gross.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's good that DS3 lets you save avatars for future use. It's bad that every avatar in DS3 has a long-rear end nose and a giraffe-like neck.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Happy sun-looks-like-the-darksign day, US players.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Ah, yes... Kentucky, where transient lands converge...

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Praise the Dark Sun! (Seeing the eclipse totality was a complete trip!)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Friede sucks, she's an entire boss of binary gimmicks where if you don't do one very specific thing she'll just randomly take off half your health but once you learn it she's easy. She's like if you listened to a bad stereotype of what Dark Souls is like from someone who hates the game and made it real.

The third stage is better about this and more like a regular, good boss fight (although it still has that "gotcha" at the beginning where if you're anywhere near her when it starts you die, but if you're too far away to immediately get up in her grill after the explosion, she uses much nastier moves) but it also means going through the first two stages every time you lose to it. It's like someone decided the chicken fight before Nameless King wasn't bad enough.

Honestly, the thing I hate the most about Friede out of anything else is the random hop she sometimes does when you go to swing. If I wanted a game with RNG evasion, I'd go play goddamn Draque!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

My "#eclipse" Instagram post that's just a screenshotted Darksign is getting a lot of likes.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bogart posted:

The Throne duo isn't too bad. They're just a twist on Ornstein and Smough -- in lieu of whittling one down, you need to chew them both to low or else they'll heal their opposite.

Soloing them isn't strictly impossible, but it sure is tedious.

Friede is bad for the same reason, it's just an absurd slog. Particularly since it takes two full boss fights before she gets "hard" which is even more obnoxious.

The only other boss I genuinely dislike is Twin Princes -- it's a fine enough gimmick and all that, but having an enemy who can teleport spam, break your lock-on whenever he wants, appear at you from any direction, and even warp across the room...all of that wouldn't be so bad if he didn't also have a big instant-draw fire wave blast that staggers and knocks you around unless you dodge towards him at precisely the right angle...

Like, there's a certain way you can cheese him, by sort of trying to keep him at the stairs and bashing him until he is staggered, but he's too mobile to do that consistently and his second phase maintains all the same moves and adds several rather annoying magic attacks on top of it.

Overall, I just feel like most of DS3's best bosses are done better in Bloodborne. Lady Maria is a vastly, vastly superior fight to Friede, for instance.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The good bosses in Dark Souls 3 are the purest ones. Champion Gundyr is easily the single best fight in the game, and he's literally just "the tutorial boss, but you have to react faster and watch for feints."

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The only other boss I genuinely dislike is Twin Princes -- it's a fine enough gimmick and all that, but having an enemy who can teleport spam, break your lock-on whenever he wants, appear at you from any direction, and even warp across the room...all of that wouldn't be so bad if he didn't also have a big instant-draw fire wave blast that staggers and knocks you around unless you dodge towards him at precisely the right angle...
What attack are you talking about here? I can only think of the white blast that he charges up, and the fire he sends across the ground, but the first you can just dodge sideways and it's not too particular about it, and the second you can dodge in any direction as long as you time it right

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think the only two big bullshit things about Twin Princes are the air teleport (which has an absurdly short telegraph) and the fact that Sacred Lothric Light has almost no recovery frames if you run up next to Lorian and do a swing as he's finishing casting it. They're one of the game's better fights.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I loved murdering prince lorian with like 4 shots of crystal soul spear repeatedly this last game of mine

sorceries are really good at PvE but such hotass trash at PvP. except for like 3 spells everything is either way(way) too slow to use against players or weak as poo poo. and one of those spells is homing soul mass, which is honestly just really annoying to use properly. (another is farron flash sword, which is good just because it's a slightly worse straight sword r1)
you can make spells fast from. it's ok.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I have been seeing way fewer summon signs since the Dancer of the Boreal Valley. There were constantly at least five outside of her room but then I only saw a handful outside of Oceiros' room and I finished Untended Graves only ever seeing one outside of Gundyr's arena and all of Archdragon Peak except beating the boss without seeing any at all. Did I drift out of the level everyone else is at for these areas somehow? I'm level 71 and my highest weapon is +8.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think people are just not doing random coop that much anymore right now outside of common pvp areas

I saw basically no signs through basically all my last game, even for bosses people normally would summon for a bit back
granted I also might have been a bit high but I doubt it, no summon signs even for darkeater midir at level ~105

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Going to start a new game to check out the last DLC. Do faith builds get some especially cool toys there? Just wondering if I want to make a beeline to the DLC area in the early game (if it's even possible... I've no idea).

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord

Smol posted:

Going to start a new game to check out the last DLC. Do faith builds get some especially cool toys there? Just wondering if I want to make a beeline to the DLC area in the early game (if it's even possible... I've no idea).

You get a good long range damage miracle by the latter part of the DLC. There's also a weird looking halberd that seems to be tailored for faith builds but I haven't tried it out yet. The fastest way to get to the last DLC would be to complete the first DLC I think.

on another note: I got paired against someone with a Gael's greatsword who could R1 6 or 7 times in a row. Each time I got caught by a hit it was a 3 hit combo because the stagger did not allow me to dodge away. Is it at all possible to dodge away once staggered? I thought it was a pretty lame way to lose.

torsoboy fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Aug 22, 2017

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

IronicDongz posted:

I think people are just not doing random coop that much anymore right now outside of common pvp areas

I saw basically no signs through basically all my last game, even for bosses people normally would summon for a bit back
granted I also might have been a bit high but I doubt it, no summon signs even for darkeater midir at level ~105

Honestly I feel like 105 is low for Midir if anything. I've done him at SL90, SL100, SL125 and SL160 (NG+) recently, and probably saw the most signs at 160.

90 was a loving slog, tbh I ended up pestilent mercury cheesing him as I couldn't always get even one phantom, and even 3 would often die on me.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
rip the days when you could put down a summon sign and get summoned before the animation even finished

those days are gone and we will never get them back :smith:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Sapozhnik posted:

rip the days when you could put down a summon sign and get summoned before the animation even finished

those days are gone and we will never get them back :smith:

I've been desperate for bloodborne coop since I'm late to the party and haven't been summoned once.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Intresting, if you never learn the darkmoon loyalty gesture, Yorshka tells you to gently caress off and doesent allow you to join her covenant. This failed experiment run is suprisingly punishing since it cauesed me to never meet Sirris. Its kind of funny how the devs put all these weird things into the game that would never happen unless you were intentionally trying to break the game. Its pretty hard to not get the gesture since itd require you to somehow join the reds before gaining the gesture.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Smol posted:

lightning arrow is in the dlc and is good in pve, very good in pvp(fast, can be held, decent damage, really hard to punish, can use with talismans weapon art to have poise while holding arrow)

and also way of white corona is in the dlc and manages to be the single most useless miracle of all time?? :iiam:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
just killed soul of cinder, nameless king, slave knight gael and sister friede all in a row without dying once

sorceries at 60 int with stacked sorcery boosters and court sorcerer staff are... kind of nuts. all these guys you can just back up from and cast crystal soul spear until they die. friede was the only kinda dangerous one but you can just use crystal homing soul mass repeatedly and she can't really do anything about it

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah but otoh you have to wear a stupid hat with bat ears on it

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yeah... armor with special effects was a mistake

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Sapozhnik posted:

yeah but otoh you have to wear a stupid hat with bat ears on it

They're angel wings, for your pretty little video game princess, and there is no shame in dark souls

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

if one of the five different armor sets you continually swap between in the dress-up portion of the game isnt a pretty princess theme with some combination of dancer's, fire witch, and pontiff knight then :frogout:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you can have a better princess headgear than a crown with asymmetrical wings on the sides and nothing on top

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
Dark Souls 2 is unequivocally an improvement on 1 in almost every way.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

I forgot to reply to your post but that's a big bummer if true. I just played 1 and 2 earlier this year and was looking forward to a game where I could have a high population of other players.

Invading has been pretty decently populated, with only a handful of times where I invaded 5 or so times in a row then couldn't do it any more for a while because I'd assumedly reset everyone's timers in the area.

Haven't had a team invasion outside of Aldrich sunmoning though.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Rysithusiku posted:

Poise_circlejerk.exe

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I don't know what platform that dude is on but I finished a playthrough on PS4 last week that had plenty of signs for most bosses and a poo poo ton for the DLC bosses.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Rysithusiku posted:

Yes, except level design is worse and that's a pretty major deal.

But it still has way more bosses that I really enjoy fighting so I replay it more than ds1.

like if I'm gonna split bosses into dislike/like ok/really like(based on my personal opinions of what it's like to fight them, especially as someone who has played all the ds games multiple times), ds1 looks something like
dislike:
asylum demon
taurus demon
capra demon
moonlight butterfly
iron golem
ceaseless discharge
demon firesage
stray demon
centipede demon
gwyndolin
seath
bed of chaos
pinwheel

like ok:
bell gargoyles
gaping dragon
sif
quelaag
nito
sanctuary guardian
kalameet

really like:
ornstein & smough
artorias(superfav)
manus
gwyn

and then dark souls 2 looks something like
dislike:
the last giant
flexile sentry
royal rat vanguard
old dragonslayer
covetous demon
magus and congregation
giant lord
ancient dragon
nashandra
aldia
cave of the dead gank squad
smelter demon blue edition
king's pet 2x edition

like ok:
the pursuer
executioner's chariot
looking glass knight
skeleton lords
lost sinner
belfry gargoyles
royal rat authority
scorpion lady
duke's dear freja
mytha
the rotten
smelter demon
old iron king
guardian dragon
demon of song
darklurker
dragonrider
twin dragonrider
king's pet aava

really like:
ruin sentinels
velstadt
throne watcher and defender
elana
sinh
fume knight(superfav)
sir allone
burnt ivory king(superfav)

there's just a lot more bosses, and a lower proportion that I dislike. the dlcs each have 1 bad boss with recycled assets and then 2 good or great ones, which gives it a big edge.

skasion posted:

I don't know what platform that dude is on but I finished a playthrough on PS4 last week that had plenty of signs for most bosses and a poo poo ton for the DLC bosses.
PC. It is possible that other people happened not to be doing bosses when I was, but it was in the evening and none at all for princes or midir seems weird for me. back around the last big sale people were constantly co-oping those.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Throne Watcher and Defender suck, you either stomp them with summons or you have the most longest most tedious solo fight ever.

The biggest problem with DS2 isn't its bosses (though so many guys in armor doesn't help) but it's really the lacking level design and bad plot that make the game so subpar.

Also the tracking. And the hit boxes. And basically everything else. Even the Undead curse looks worse.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
nah, that's midir without pestilent mercury. throne watcher and defender fight is only a little long.

what's wrong with ds2 tracking? I've seen several people make this complaint, usually about the big guys in heide's tower and I don't really get it.
I don't like the plot too much but I don't play dark souls for the plot and I don't think most people do

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Also the tracking. And the hit boxes. And basically everything else. Even the Undead curse looks worse.

Just lol if you think DS2 hitboxes are worse than DS1

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

fool_of_sound posted:

Just lol if you think DS2 hitboxes are worse than DS1

They very much are.

teleporting_into_pursuer_grab.gif.webm.gifv

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think they're worse but not actually by much.

mostly it's just mimics getting up which is bad. the pursuer thing I have not seen happen to anyone in a long time and I have a sneaking suspicion they touched that one up at some point(maybe at SotFS, when they put more pursuer encounters in?)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The dogs in the Gutter are crazy broken. Their attack hitbox doesn't even correspond to the animation starting and ending, let alone the actual part of the dog that attacks you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The dying attack of the spider men in Tseldora is also complete rubbish.