Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Xile77 posted:

I wanna play and get invaded and whine about it, but poo poo, I can't even beat the first boss...

Try parry

Monstrosity ahead
Try firebombs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Wow, turns out Crystal Sages are very weak to poison spores and getting rocks vomited on their head. He only lasted 1 teleport, I think it's the fastest I've ever killed him.
edit: those two things were pretty useful to get Snap Freeze, too.

Maleh-Vor fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 20, 2018

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Does the covenant items still have crazy low drop rates ? I really don't want to spend hours grinding those :negative: (or continuously invade others)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ZZZorcerer posted:

Does the covenant items still have crazy low drop rates ? I really don't want to spend hours grinding those :negative: (or continuously invade others)

I saw the ghost of some poor fool farming up sword grass with the mimic head and everything while I was rushing through the swamp. I got like five drops just putting out the 3 fires. If you're on PC; just cheat. It's the sane thing to do.

Watchdogs is super active for some reason though. I didn't see a single one in the actual swamp, but in crabtown I could barely go a minute without getting hit by one or two. Fun times.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Nuebot posted:

I saw the ghost of some poor fool farming up sword grass with the mimic head and everything while I was rushing through the swamp. I got like five drops just putting out the 3 fires. If you're on PC; just cheat. It's the sane thing to do.

Watchdogs is super active for some reason though. I didn't see a single one in the actual swamp, but in crabtown I could barely go a minute without getting hit by one or two. Fun times.

Last time I played I would get 2 invasions per hour doing Watchdogs, I'm on PC so... cheat it is then. Gotta waste some time until the DS remaster

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I just bumped into some roleplayers or something. The host's name was Lady Alphonse or something like that, and she fully dressed like Lucatiel, and had another person dressed like a knight sitting next to her on the farron watchdogs steps, and another knight in Black Knight armor and an Elite Knight helmet standing on the steps themselves. After I killed their "champion" on the second try, they both got up and chased me down. Strangely enough, I never saw a watchdog invade.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Captainicus posted:

I always found it impossible to actually win any battles in invasions because I always used small weapons like fists and daggers or slow, non-sweeping weapons like spears or scythes. With that plus the lag from Australia, it was nigh impossible to actually hit anyone. More power to anyone who actually got enjoyment out of them, I might have done better if I liked using a sword and shield.

My current build uses a pair of caesti. I spend most of my invasion time on my main fighting with a notched whip. Aim where they're going to be, not where they are.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
while I'm bitching and everyone is already fed up with my opinions

Magic sucks too. poo poo has never felt as satisfying as swinging a big sword, people always laud and applaud dark souls for the chunky and deliberate way weapons are handled and what-not but nobody has ever thought 'man that was awesome' after throwing a soul arrow. Even the real croud pleasers like soul stream or chaos bed vestiges which should be beefy as gently caress feel like aggressively pointing a laser pointer and casually tossing a yoga ball.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Cuchulain posted:

My current build uses a pair of caesti. I spend most of my invasion time on my main fighting with a notched whip. Aim where they're going to be, not where they are.

That's pretty impressive, I didn't bother practicing a lot so it may very well be doable. I haven't come back to DS3 in awhile, maybe I'll give it a go next time.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Motherfucker posted:

Magic sucks too. poo poo has never felt as satisfying as swinging a big sword, people always laud and applaud dark souls for the chunky and deliberate way weapons are handled and what-not but nobody has ever thought 'man that was awesome' after throwing a soul arrow. Even the real croud pleasers like soul stream or chaos bed vestiges which should be beefy as gently caress feel like aggressively pointing a laser pointer and casually tossing a yoga ball.

Boulder heave is the best attack in the game, so wrong again.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

Magic sucks too... Even the real croud pleasers like soul stream or chaos bed vestiges... feel like aggressively pointing a laser pointer and casually tossing a yoga ball.

Look man this might seem like a dumb question, but before we all try to give you any more advice, can you check that you are actually playing Dark Souls III and not some other, unrelated game?

I haven't seen stuff like this since Chibisoma got ran out of the first Dark Souls thread.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Xile77 posted:

I wanna play and get invaded and whine about it, but poo poo, I can't even beat the first boss...

Start as a Pyromancer, make sure you get the firebombs from the cliff, and don't miss once he freaks out halfway through the fight. He's super weak to fire, you can end it quickly once you get his health low enough for the bombs and your fire spell to do their thing.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Maleh-Vor posted:

Boulder heave is the best attack in the game, so wrong again.

actually that is pretty legit, I loving love boulder heave.

Cuchulain posted:

Look man this might seem like a dumb question, but before we all try to give you any more advice, can you check that you are actually playing Dark Souls III and not some other, unrelated game?

I haven't seen stuff like this since Chibisoma got ran out of the first Dark Souls thread.

come the gently caress on though, chaos bed vestiges just kinda hovers out, its a really impressive looking projectile but it just flies out like a soul arrow and kinda pops on a surface. The massive projectile is so loving jarring to watch vanish into a tiny little bang and it dosn't even disrupt people much instead just doing big damage.

Like, you'd think if you were gonna throw a loving sun at a guy your character would shot-put the loving thing and it would blow up and send them flying and leave lava and poo poo but nah you kinda just airjerk and it shoots out like a soul arrow and pops like a soap bubble.

Don't even get me started on 'basic' spells, like the regular fireball which is literally 'half heatedly underhand a flaming tennis ball'

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 20, 2018

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

It's an overhand throw that explodes people. You come the gently caress on. :colbert:

And Soul Stream tosses you on your rear end and shoves you like twenty feet backwards, it even does the special "too stronk, must do a backflip" animation if you block it, which is normally reserved for big hits from giant bosses.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Chaos bed vestiges looks and behaves like throwing a fire shuriken and was probably made from left over animations.

The spells that are really cool are soul greatsword and flashsword... because, weirdly enough, they involve swinging a fuckin' sword.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

Chaos bed vestiges looks and behaves like throwing a fire shuriken and was probably made from left over animations.

I mean, actually it's just Forbidden Sun from DS2 copypasted over

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Amppelix posted:

I mean, actually it's just Forbidden Sun from DS2 copypasted over

Yeah well in dark souls 2 it left fuckin' cosmetic flames everywhere when it went off and looked much cooler. Dark souls 3 version looks like its supposed to function like soul vortex from ds2 but they wound up just using the giant rear end projectile to remake forbidden sun

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 20, 2018

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
casting animations are indeed bad and way too many use the same animations

gimmie a spell that you detonate in the air like martyr logarius in bloodborne so I can actually do anything against people who know where their roll button is at range

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I'm having a lot more trouble with DS3 than the last two games for some reason. Level design seems super linear with zero options to tackle a different area, enemies don't seem like distinct types with telegraphed/identifiable attacks, it feels like your character is made of glass and takes way too much damage, etc...just feels off for some reason. Like everything is too loose. Also, screw those black ooze guys who are effectively just a huge random hurtbox.

If I'm shooting for a sword & board heavy knight, what should I be focusing on first? Levels (and if so, which stats first), environment access (that $20k key), etc...? Where can I grab a sword comparable to the DS1 Black Knight Sword or DS2 Mastodon Greatsword?

The real answer is that Witcher 3's probably just made me super lazy/rusty.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Im pretty sure you literally run into greatsword wielding black knight in a swamp type area.

So try to farm that

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
You can get a claymore in High Wall of Lothric, where the dragon spews fire. The Black Knight Sword(greatsword) itself is found pretty far into the game, while the Black Knight Greatsword(ultra greatsword) is found pretty early, as WaltherFeng mentioned, by farming it off a Black Knight using it. You can get a Zweihander pretty early, during Undead Settlement, from a vendor after you send him on a mission, too, which is the earliest ultra greatsword you can get. The actual Greatsword you get in the second swamp, and you can rush to it as soon as you reach the first one, and another is found after the boss of the first swamp.

If you just want a really big weapon, the Large Club is found in the Undead Settlement as well, and you can make a fantastic greathammer from the High Wall of Lothric boss soul.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I had a lot of fun trying the Bastard Sword yesterday, which you can buy off Greirat immediately. It feels "smashier" than the Claymore, maybe try both?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I’m really bad at pvp but I just want the wolf sword :negative:

Did some swamp dogs yesterday and caught a few newbies but had a really embarrassing loss to a guy with a whip that took about 8 minutes.

Then ran into multiple people who were mostly naked with dual daggers that would parry and wipe out my entire health bar on the riposte. Three different guys and they all had phantoms just hanging out watching. Got the same guy twice and the spectators just stood on the side and taunted me by parrying the air.

So I decided to progress and got up to SL40. Is this going to disqualify me from getting hits for swamp dogs?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Motherfucker posted:

Yeah well in dark souls 2 it left fuckin' cosmetic flames everywhere when it went off and looked much cooler. Dark souls 3 version looks like its supposed to function like soul vortex from ds2 but they wound up just using the giant rear end projectile to remake forbidden sun

Honestly, every Dark Souls game only has two or three really good casting animations. Force is always a classic.

There's a reason I basically only chose about three casting animations for my spell sets per game.

DS3 arguably has the highest number of good animations if you include Farron Flashsword and Old Moonlight, but they're the most inflexible of all three games. I would have had a lot of fun with the Divine Pillars of Light animation in DS2.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 20, 2018

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

My old harddrive died and ds3 doesn't have cloud saves in TYOOL 2018, and I'm interested in another playthrough but I want to gently caress with valorheart real bad

Any kind goons willing to drop trade one to a low level character for me?? I can return the favor at some point, somehow...

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I’m really bad at pvp but I just want the wolf sword :negative:

Did some swamp dogs yesterday and caught a few newbies but had a really embarrassing loss to a guy with a whip that took about 8 minutes.

Then ran into multiple people who were mostly naked with dual daggers that would parry and wipe out my entire health bar on the riposte. Three different guys and they all had phantoms just hanging out watching. Got the same guy twice and the spectators just stood on the side and taunted me by parrying the air.

So I decided to progress and got up to SL40. Is this going to disqualify me from getting hits for swamp dogs?

No. The covenant item (Wolf's Blood Swordgrass or something) can be farmed from the Ghru (those half-human, half-monstry things) so you can level up the convenant even in single player.

Drop rate is low, so use items that improve your item discovery:
- Gold Serpent Ring (found in a somewhat hidden area further in the game)
- Crystal Sage's Rapier (create from Crystal Sage's soul - doesn't matter if you don't meet the stat requirements)
- Symbol of Avarice (rare drop from Mimics - you can sort of farm it by using the Undead Hunter Charm on them, looting them, then coming back later and trying again)
- Using a Rusted Coin (you can buy these super cheap off a merchant you may encounter later)
Unfortunately a lot of these items are later in the game, so you may need to come back for the farming or be very patient

Your best bet is the Keep Ruins bonfire. There are 3 Ghrus standing facing away from you on a bridge just next to that bonfire, making it super easy to kill them then rest at the bonfire and repeat. If you're like me and playing a sorcerer it gets even easier as I just one-shot them at range. Pyromancy works well too.

There is another farming location at the Farron Keep Perimeter - it's slower/harder but can simultaneously be used to farm Pale Tongues from the Darkwraith enemies in that area, which you need for the Rosaria's Finger convenant (another PVP covenant).

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Motherfucker posted:

Run before this one I'd cast a single spell and get to have fun watching people run and roll away from a big slow moving ball. If they didn't, it'd hit them and they'd die instantly. It's very fun being an immovable magic death machine.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I don’t understand why you guys love Boulder Heave so much. I got excited to try it when the Stray Demon was pelting me from 30 yards away but it...slowly shoots a rock onto the ground five feet in front of you. How could you ever hit anyone with this in pvp?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I don’t understand why you guys love Boulder Heave so much. I got excited to try it when the Stray Demon was pelting me from 30 yards away but it...slowly shoots a rock onto the ground five feet in front of you. How could you ever hit anyone with this in pvp?

It's a good wake up.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I was watching Vaati's video on the DkS1 remastered edition and holy poo poo, someone already made a mod that moves enemies, items and BONFIRES around?????? Amazing

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
By the way, does it bother anyone that one of the items is a 'rusted gold coin'?

Gold doesn't rust!

I find this aspect of the game very unrealistic. It ruins my immersion!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
adulterated coinage is a very serious problem in Lothric

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
drat I should really play some modded DS1...

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Because you vomit a huge boulder on people and they get flattened like a pancake.

Sometimes people don't understand what you're doing, since the animation is the same as poison/toxic mist, and they get a boulder in the face and get knocked flat on their backs for not caring. It also tosses some smaller boulder fragments that deal delayed, reduced damage, so even if you don't land it, there's still almost a full second after the first boulder lands where it's still not safe to enter the immediate vicinity without taking some damage, which is great for roll-catching. It's also fantastic to cast when people are getting up after a backstab/riposte, since the timing is so weird, and they will generally take at least some damage from it even if they roll away immediately. It also does ridiculous poise damage and shield stamina damage, and will knock some large shields right out, giving you a great chance for a front-stab, which you can follow up with Boulder Heave. You can also follow up a Boulder Heave with another Boulder Heave, and if they're not careful, they'll get stuck being knocked down over and over again. Even though it's really slow, if you can get into chain-casting them, they chain surprisingly quickly.

In PvE, I threw a boulder at one of those tree ladies in Ashes of Ariandel while at level 26, with less than 20 int and faith and using a +2 pyromancy flame. She got hit by both the initial boulder and a splash boulder, and took over 700 damage from it, which was fun. Crystal Sages also took a double-hit from a boulder, and lost about 25% of his health in one cast. I didn't even understand how he died when he was still at that much health, until a few hours later, when I realized it had a secondary damage area. You can't really double-hit players, though, since they get invulnerable as soon as they get knocked down.

But really, it's because you vomit a huge boulder on someone and they get flattened like a pancake.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I'm at the cathedral of the deep and I feel like I already broke the game with +3 Heavy Great Club

The poise dmg is ridiculous

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Cuchulain posted:

It's an overhand throw that explodes people. You come the gently caress on. :colbert:

And Soul Stream tosses you on your rear end and shoves you like twenty feet backwards, it even does the special "too stronk, must do a backflip" animation if you block it, which is normally reserved for big hits from giant bosses.

Hard to defend the feel and risk/reward ratio of Souls spells after playing something like Dragon's Dogma.

Obviously the best way to play magic is to play a hybrid though, you get fun melee combat and you can restrict your magic to only the most impactful spells instead of plinking away with great heavy soul arrow. Got a bit screwed on weapon buffs this time around but buffs are tedious anyway so win/win.

WaltherFeng posted:

I'm at the cathedral of the deep and I feel like I already broke the game with +3 Heavy Great Club

Catacombs with any strike weapon is pretty hilarious too.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Hey thread,

Playing a sorcerer but didn't realize Orbeck left if you didn't get him any scrolls. Got Logan's scroll from the profaned capital but now that rear end in a top hat is gone.

Am I boned and should I restart, or do I just keep trucking with pyromancies, great heavy soul arrow, and karla's stuff?

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
If you want to use blue magic or utility magic you're pretty much boned, or at least, you're gonna miss out on most of the fun stuff. Pyro is even stronger than magic so that's always an option if you like the idea of it, or you'll still have access to the damaging dark sorceries (there are only a handful of these though).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Soul Reaver posted:

By the way, does it bother anyone that one of the items is a 'rusted gold coin'?

Gold doesn't rust!

I find this aspect of the game very unrealistic. It ruins my immersion!

The player character just doesn't know the difference between rust and tarnish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

hampig posted:

Hard to defend the feel and risk/reward ratio of Souls spells after playing something like Dragon's Dogma.

The best part of Dragon's Dogma was slotting your pawns with only the hugest spells, so you would be constantly fighting in the middle of a natural disaster movie. Hurricanes within hallways just smashing enemies into the roof for a full minute until they died were always hilarious.