Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

IronicDongz posted:

You should build quality or dex, probably quality unless you wanna play at a low level. Weapons to use along the way: basically any curved sword, especially pontiff knight curved sword because it also cannot be buffed or infused and scales similarly. Of course, the danger exists of being tempted to just use that instead, because it has better range, damage, and WA...

Nobody will be "resistant" to the sword seeing as it only does physical damage.

e: looking it up, if you go 25/50 str/dex, storm curved sword has the same damage as if you go 40/40, which saves you a few points. So probably a good idea to take a sharp dagger for crits and a sharp katana for chasedowns if you wanna pvp. Otherwise, doesn't matter much.

Dang, that's a very convincing argument against going for the storm sword.

So wait, there's no more difference between thrusting, slashing and strike attacks? It's all turned into 'physical' type?

Welp, now I have no idea what I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
There are different physical damage types, but you're not going to notice much of a damage difference vs. different enemies so it's not really worth having different weapons just to inflict slashing/thrusting/blunt.
The only exception is that leo ring only works with thrusting damage.

Though to be fair even in ds1 I only ever chose weapons based on moveset, and curved swords have a very good one.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 23, 2018

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
some enemies are weak to some damage types. skeletons get stunned by strike damage. damage types matter but you can also ignore them.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
You can pretty safely just ignore damage types in this game and just go for something you like. This isn't Dark Souls 2 where strike damage is the only type worth using. Leo Ring counter damage can get pretty hilarious with the bigger piercing damage weapons, like the Astora (ultra) Greatsword R2 or the Greatlance, though. Also daggers have a hidden critical damage multiplier beyond what it says on the description, and greatweapons have a hidden negative critical multiplier. Split damage is usually garbage, but scales really well on criticals, apparently.

Everything is weird, just get a weapon you enjoy using and don't worry about minmaxing too much besides not putting stats in stuff beyond soft-caps and getting at least 27 vigor, preferably reaching 20 before putting points into anything else.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
Curved swords are the best for pvp because they hit that goldilocks perfection of speed-range-dps that pvp leans towards and pontiff knight curved sword is the meta because it has the longest range. I've heard slash resistance being most important for pvp but that was only once long ago and might just be because curved swords are meta.

Pve you can make anything work. You'll be surprised how many mobs can be parried.

I think damage types do matter against bosses e.g. the dancer is covered in metal plate so a strike weapon will be better than slash. Low level bleed rushes of dancer are better off using the club with nails poking out of it than the sword with bits of twisted metal on the blade

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Does damage type resistance actually affect status effect buildup, though?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Status effect resistances are their own thing, I don’t think damage resistance factors into it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
You can get Darkdrift pretty early on too, provided you're willing to kill Yuria for it. :v:

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Hey folks, just got the game from the monthly. What kinda build would you suggest for someone who dislikes shields and might want to main that Storm Curved Sword if he ever gets that far?

e: I guess a better more specific question would be - what kinda weapon(s) should I start with while going towards the Storm eventually? And secondary end-goal weapons for when the opponent is resistant to the sword

Curved Swords are the strongest standalone weapon class in the game, though the Storm Curved Sword is an unusual choice.

Early game I'd buy a Falchion as soon as you can and slap a Raw gem on it, staying at minimum stats to wield and leveling vigor.

Mid game I'd switch to a Sharp Scimitar (or Carthus Curved Sword, if you're lucky enough to get one to drop). Or a Pontiff Knight CS (quality).

Nothing will be 'resistant' to a sword. Some bosses will be massively vulnerable to other damage types, sure. But really the only things you're missing is a ranged attack and a way to deal with greatshields. Get a bow/crossbow, and a straight or great sword with the 'stance/shield breaker' WA as backup and you're golden.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
Status effects are their own section in the armour sheet, yeh. You can min max fashion for the poison swamp.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
After brainstorming a bit i think i figured out my favorite build to torture hosts who try to beat the church spears. 50 str, 30 faith and using mornes hammer, sunlight straight sword and warmth. Basically i cast warmth and if they bum rush me i use the mornes hammers weapon art to nuke. Usually kills any of the summons if they were a bit hurt. Hosts sadly have too much hp for this but it doesent matter if you can just kill the summons. If they dont rush you then you basically have infinite healing thanks to a simple infused tool and just keeping warmth cast.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I've heard HP regen builds are unfairly good as a spear but I haven't tried it or looked into people that have

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014
my new goal is to kill a host as a spear with dung pies

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Sl90 luck/regen build unfair spear boss yes. Replenishment, heal aid, filianores chime, regen ring, anri ss with blessed weapon, blessed infusion offhand. Poise + straight sword r1's. I feel dirty.

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3PMIx8kCi8

rate/critique my lovely lil montage thing

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Wait, is it really possible to screw yourself out of the cast light spell? Because I think I managed to do just that.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

genericnick posted:

Wait, is it really possible to screw yourself out of the cast light spell? Because I think I managed to do just that.

If you've lost Orbeck, yeah, but then you've lost a whole bunch of other spells too. The golden scroll itself isn't missable, I don't think.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

genericnick posted:

orbeck can be killed because story reasons and he can leave if you dont give him a scroll after a few boss deaths.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Is there any way to change your character name once you've started the game? Mods or config files or anything? I named my character Chilbo Baggins but I just realized that Trillbo Baggins is even better and I am ashamed of my mistake.

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

DrNutt posted:

Is there any way to change your character name once you've started the game? Mods or config files or anything? I named my character Chilbo Baggins but I just realized that Trillbo Baggins is even better and I am ashamed of my mistake.

No. If you use cheat engine to change it you'll most likely be banned.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

g0t_hats posted:

Pretty much, though if your account got banned early on then unbanned by time you seem to get immunity.

Nuking the map is A-OK regardless though!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Wow, I know pyromancy is pve easy mode but Ringed City bosses sure are a hard stop on that. Had to respec just to take down Demon Prince since pyro is pretty worthless and my Chaos weapon wasn't doing the trick either. Midir is a similar situation. I imagine I can still handle Gael.

Also I forgot how many spots in this DLC are just loving bullshit and I kind of hate it but the bosses are so good and I just want to co-op Gael all day.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

g0t_hats posted:

Oh okay. I'm not going to risk that over something so silly.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Wow, I know pyromancy is pve easy mode but Ringed City bosses sure are a hard stop on that. Had to respec just to take down Demon Prince since pyro is pretty worthless and my Chaos weapon wasn't doing the trick either.

Pyros can use dark pyromancies and weapons, which are effective against demons.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Wow, I know pyromancy is pve easy mode but Ringed City bosses sure are a hard stop on that. Had to respec just to take down Demon Prince since pyro is pretty worthless and my Chaos weapon wasn't doing the trick either. Midir is a similar situation. I imagine I can still handle Gael.

Also I forgot how many spots in this DLC are just loving bullshit and I kind of hate it but the bosses are so good and I just want to co-op Gael all day.

demons and most things on fire are weak to dark which pyromancers are known to deal tons of on top of fire.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Wow, I'm dumb. Gonna go talk to Karla. :downs:

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Iretep posted:

demons and most things on fire are weak to dark which pyromancers are known to deal tons of on top of fire.

Are the Demon Princes weak to dark? I kind of got the impression they were strong to elemental damage across the board.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Sum Gai posted:

Are the Demon Princes weak to dark? I kind of got the impression they were strong to elemental damage across the board.

Huh, seems like they arent really weak to it but they arent resistant to it either. I assumed they were since all the other demons died to dark really easy. But yeah, they are highly resistant to fire, lightning and magic.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Iretep posted:

Huh, seems like they arent really weak to it but they arent resistant to it either. I assumed they were since all the other demons died to dark really easy. But yeah, they are highly resistant to fire, lightning and magic.

I've never done a sorceror run, but how do they handle a boss like this?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man, playing this game after taking a long break has been refreshing, especially since I just played through Demon's. I've gotten way better than I used to be at the combat and especially dodging. It felt pretty boss to kill that mimic that gave me so much trouble before and steamroll through dudes with the deep battle axe early game. This game owns and it really feels like culmination of everything From built with Demon's and DS1.

Having said that Iudex Gundyr is the motherfucking hardest tutorial boss of any of these games and beating him as a deprived was a huge pain in the rear end.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Spam GHSA. Resistances don't really matter that much if you are good at playing keepaway, sure your shots are only doing 2-300 damage but you can have arbitrarily many shots.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Dr. Clockwork posted:

sorcerers get dark spells. hell, they get a giant rear end dark spell right before the boss in the dlc.
edit: sorcerers have literally no problems with elemental resistances since they can perfectly fine cast pyromancies, sorceries and dark sorceries.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 25, 2018

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I think once I clear Spears and Gael and do some jolly co op for a bit I'm going to mess about with sorcery and maybe faith on my NG+ run since pyro set me up with 40 INT and 40 FTH.

And maybe someday I'll git gud at pvp but today is not that day. Some really shameful Aldrich invasions last night.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I think once I clear Spears and Gael and do some jolly co op for a bit I'm going to mess about with sorcery and maybe faith on my NG+ run since pyro set me up with 40 INT and 40 FTH.

And maybe someday I'll git gud at pvp but today is not that day. Some really shameful Aldrich invasions last night.

The thing I found is one build has to be three: pve, pvp and dueling. Depending on the situation almost the entire loadout will change. Same build but different situations. If I load a character thats been dueling in the arena I'll have to change the loadout to go farm souls, and change yet again if I'm dry fingering myself or invading. Even with physical builds, weapons and armour are different for mobs, group fights, or 1 on 1's. It's too difficult to try and make the one loadout work for everything (unless you're level 250+) because you get frustrated at losing against players who were smart about their loadout. Like, my sorceror loves her light roll, but gets three shot in pvp. Armour up and swap the spear for the sword and suddenly she's Queen of pontiff. I've even changed parry tools to make up for the latency in pvp that doesn't appear fighting against mobs. Same with the faith character, if I'm cooperating almost all miracles will be for group heals and buffs with filianores chime, but if I'm on my own I gotta be baiting out punish opportunities with the offensive miracles using the poise talisman, and the bident gets changed to a horizontal weapon.

Also, learn counters to:

Black knight shield; And,

Crossbows

Also practise playing unlocked, particularly throwables, and charged r2's (only hit lock on the moment before the attack connects)

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

asio posted:

...and change yet again if I'm dry fingering myself...

*Is 13 years old and sniggering*

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Soul Reaver posted:

*Is 13 years old and sniggering*

Try arm

And then

Don't give up!

*legion ettiqute"

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

asio posted:

The thing I found is one build has to be three: pve, pvp and dueling. Depending on the situation almost the entire loadout will change. Same build but different situations. If I load a character thats been dueling in the arena I'll have to change the loadout to go farm souls, and change yet again if I'm dry fingering myself or invading. Even with physical builds, weapons and armour are different for mobs, group fights, or 1 on 1's. It's too difficult to try and make the one loadout work for everything (unless you're level 250+) because you get frustrated at losing against players who were smart about their loadout. Like, my sorceror loves her light roll, but gets three shot in pvp. Armour up and swap the spear for the sword and suddenly she's Queen of pontiff. I've even changed parry tools to make up for the latency in pvp that doesn't appear fighting against mobs. Same with the faith character, if I'm cooperating almost all miracles will be for group heals and buffs with filianores chime, but if I'm on my own I gotta be baiting out punish opportunities with the offensive miracles using the poise talisman, and the bident gets changed to a horizontal weapon.

Also, learn counters to:

Black knight shield; And,

Crossbows

Also practise playing unlocked, particularly throwables, and charged r2's (only hit lock on the moment before the attack connects)

This is some solid advice. In invasions alone I find myself constantly switching weapons and rings based on the situation I'm in. Spacing is an important thing to work on. Never get in a situation where two people are hitting you at once because with unembered health you will die 99% of the time. Also never be afraid to retreat and heal. Hosts/phantoms always heal so it's fine for you to do the same. If you want to practice parrying, buy a bunch of fire bombs and spam them at people until they do a rolling attack. When they finish the roll hit the parry button, boom you've got an easy parry.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

asio posted:

Try arm

And then

Don't give up!

*legion ettiqute"

I laugh at and rate every single "but hole" message in everyone of these games

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I still get a chuckle about the 'amazing chest ahead' marker I saw outside Gwynevere's room the first time I killed O&S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Caestus invasions are the bomb once you master exploiting the super armor on perseverance. It's even better then having DS1 poise back.

Also, the overlap between fgc people and soulsborne people has lead to a lot of misappropriation of fighting game terminology and it drives me nuts sometimes. It's like how FFXI uses wrong terms for common mmo stuff. Every time someone says "hyperarmor frames" to refer to poise mechanics I die a little inside.

Beyond pvp, the Caestus obliterates pve with my current build. I've only got the Ringed City dlc content left on this play through, and every boss has been crushed under my fists. I haven't even needed more then one attempt on more then two bosses. Weirdly the King of Storms was the hardest boss for the build so far, requiring 3 attempts due to a mix of greed and frustration at my tiny arms. Nameless King went down like a chump right after.

Man mode boxing all the Pus of Man to death was cool, but nothing compares to the feeling of punching down THE CHAMP without dodging or parrying.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 26, 2018