Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
I think the logic they're using is something like, from a gameplay perspective, if there's nothing interesting between locations, is there actually a gameplay reason not to put bonfires in them? Which ignores world cohesion, certainly, but from a convenience perspective makes sense.

And in the case of the dragonslayer armor bonfire, it seems like it was supposed to be used to get to the shortcut to the twin princes... except that it really should be at the opposite end of the arena for that to make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
I dunno man, after playing DS1, you realize how much many bonfires there are in DS3. I think there's something like >50 bonfires total in DS3, which is a lot if you think about it.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Laminator posted:

I dunno man, after playing DS1, you realize how much many bonfires there are in DS3. I think there's something like >50 bonfires total in DS3, which is a lot if you think about it.

A lot more than that. Including all the DLC and weird sequential ones near the very end, DS3 has 77 total bonfires. For comparison, DS2 also has 77 usable bonfires and DS1 has 42. I think those numbers are accurate.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
when does the DLC come into play, anyway? I just got to the Road of Sacrifice or whatever it's called

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
You're not that far from the start of the first DLC. It's gonna be kind of obvious when it happens.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I finally went back and finished the ringed city. I didn't know how much was left so it turned out to just be the slave knight gael fight. After all the other DLC fights were downers it was surprisingly fun. The fact that there was no second health bar fakeout made a difference. Also, I killed him in high heels.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

You're not that far from the start of the first DLC. It's gonna be kind of obvious when it happens.

Yeah, you're really close, but most likely you won't be strong enough to tackle the DLC enemies right away. I think people recommended going into the DLC around level 80, which might be a bit overkill for the first bits but probably accurate for the later, harder parts.

I pushed through it at a lower level and those loving enemies made me so angry...

Rubbish but hole ahead.

Once, I also put down my summon sign at the chapel bonfire thinking I'd explore around with a friend, but it turned out that the final boss is right in there? Legit mistake, but I ended up being creamed in half a second. Sorry dude who thought I was up for that!

It's kind of the opposite of all those times I put my sign down right in front of Vordt and I keep being summoned for Dancer. I mean, sure dude, I'll give it a shot, but you're really making it harder on yourself 'cause I'm not worth that extra boss HP.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

CordlessPen posted:

Once, I also put down my summon sign at the chapel bonfire thinking I'd explore around with a friend, but it turned out that the final boss is right in there? Legit mistake, but I ended up being creamed in half a second. Sorry dude who thought I was up for that!
The Cathedral of the Deep is a neat area in that it doesn't have bonfires as progress markers. Instead you unlock several shortcuts that loop back to the Cleansing Chapel Bonfire. So you could have been summoned by someone who just entered the area, or by someone who cleaned the place out and is ready to kill the Deacons.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

In general I don't see the point of summoning for the Dancer. She's so much more unpredictable and given the wide arcs that all of her attacks possess, it's a recipe for getting hit with attacks that aren't meant for you.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

CordlessPen posted:

Yeah, you're really close, but most likely you won't be strong enough to tackle the DLC enemies right away. I think people recommended going into the DLC around level 80, which might be a bit overkill for the first bits but probably accurate for the later, harder parts.
The game itself, with an easily missed dev message, recommends that you wait until you've entered lothric castle before going forward. Which is a pretty good benchmark I think. Those two areas are somewhat close in difficulty.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Raygereio posted:

The Cathedral of the Deep is a neat area in that it doesn't have bonfires as progress markers. Instead you unlock several shortcuts that loop back to the Cleansing Chapel Bonfire. So you could have been summoned by someone who just entered the area, or by someone who cleaned the place out and is ready to kill the Deacons.

I meant the chapel/church in the Painted World. I haven't reached that part yet, but apparently something opens up where Friede is sitting and that leads you to the final boss of the DLC (I think), but to me it was just a neat bonfire from which to start exploring, I had no idea about that other part. That guy must have been disappointed to summon a level 35 dude with a +4/5 katana...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CordlessPen posted:

It's kind of the opposite of all those times I put my sign down right in front of Vordt and I keep being summoned for Dancer. I mean, sure dude, I'll give it a shot, but you're really making it harder on yourself 'cause I'm not worth that extra boss HP.

Just black crystal out if they try to drag you over to the other door. People trying to get you to fight the dancer instead is a waste of your time and theirs, and frankly pretty rude on top of that since there’s no question what the level 14 players dropping their sign right in front of vordt’s door want.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Digirat posted:

I finally went back and finished the ringed city. I didn't know how much was left so it turned out to just be the slave knight gael fight. After all the other DLC fights were downers it was surprisingly fun. The fact that there was no second health bar fakeout made a difference. Also, I killed him in high heels.

Gaels arena isn't just a pretty waste backdrop. There are two titanite chunks: a turbo powered ringed knight and a hostile npc that invades when you enter a certain set of ruins.

double nine posted:

In general I don't see the point of summoning for the Dancer. She's so much more unpredictable and given the wide arcs that all of her attacks possess, it's a recipe for getting hit with attacks that aren't meant for you.

I agree dancer is way more fun solo. Somehow that boss is "just right" for the kind of delayed-roll-spam-tempo, unlocked play that the game wants you to use, and the music is cool. Plus running around the arena with a torch after never gets old. The one boss I wish ds3 had ascetics for.

asio fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 21, 2018

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the cathedral of the deep was just a really fun area and i appreciated it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kinda shocked at what from thinks is acceptable camera in this midir fight. Over half of its tells are not actually visible onscreen. I wish I hadn't heard about this rancid garbage of a fight so I wouldn't have wasted my time on it since I was feeling way more positive about ringed city before it. I just went and killed the last boss instead, which is a better fight by just about every metric I can think of.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Digirat posted:

Kinda shocked at what from thinks is acceptable camera in this midir fight. Over half of its tells are not actually visible onscreen.
They should be, unless you're trying to get underneath the boss, which the boss is designed to punish because everything besides his head takes way way less damage

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Johnny Joestar posted:

the cathedral of the deep was just a really fun area and i appreciated it

It's my favorite Dark Souls level, Creepy cathedrals and messed up Catholic iconography are always right up my alley.

I also like the Deacons of the Deep, I know a lot of people consider them underwhelming but I think it was a cool boss concept and the atmosphere was great.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Digirat posted:

Kinda shocked at what from thinks is acceptable camera in this midir fight. Over half of its tells are not actually visible onscreen. I wish I hadn't heard about this rancid garbage of a fight so I wouldn't have wasted my time on it since I was feeling way more positive about ringed city before it. I just went and killed the last boss instead, which is a better fight by just about every metric I can think of.

I've beat that guy twice, neither time with too much cursing, and also without much camera problems, so you must be doing something wrong.

Staying way out in front while you're trying to learn tells could also be helpful. When you know exactly what way he raises his head for each attack you can stick closer to it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Midair is one of the only times in the franchise where you shouldn't circle left and stab the bum, so I can see why he'd be a frustrating fight to new players

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Its attacks carry it huge distances forward and fling lots of its body out of the visible camera no matter what you do, but especially if you're anywhere near the head. Locking on doesn't help since then the camera is just spacking every which way with how much its head flails around. The only way to consistently see it seemed to be standing away and plinking at it with lightning arrows, which did a whole 230 damage each on headshots with 60 faith and the highest spell buff chime in the game, so that would have taken ten minutes. I'd sooner do NG+ shrine of amana again than suffer through that.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
On the topic of weird bonfire placement, what the hell is going on at the end with the finale. You get all the thrones filled and then you warp to the same place you're at but empty, so you can immediately warp to the dreg heap but not the DLC one so you can warp to the boss fight. I feel like there has to be some kind of cut content thing because it feels like they were thinking they could insert the Ringed City DLC into the sequence but couldn't work out the kinks so theres just this point where it feels like theres a big flashing "Insert DLC Here" sign. Kind of like how in Fallout: New Vegas theres a big empty area where the last DLC takes place on the world map but they had to end up making it a separate world-zone.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

galagazombie posted:

On the topic of weird bonfire placement, what the hell is going on at the end with the finale. You get all the thrones filled and then you warp to the same place you're at but empty, so you can immediately warp to the dreg heap but not the DLC one so you can warp to the boss fight. I feel like there has to be some kind of cut content thing because it feels like they were thinking they could insert the Ringed City DLC into the sequence but couldn't work out the kinks so theres just this point where it feels like theres a big flashing "Insert DLC Here" sign. Kind of like how in Fallout: New Vegas theres a big empty area where the last DLC takes place on the world map but they had to end up making it a separate world-zone.

From usually turns unfinished content into DLC yes. Painted world was definetly unfinished content turned dlc. Probably ringed city too.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Iretep posted:

From usually turns unfinished content into DLC yes. Painted world was definetly unfinished content turned dlc. Probably ringed city too.

I wasn't so much saying that, as I wondered if they were planning to literally insert the DLC there later and couldn't get it to work. Like how Assassins Creed 2's DLC is literally inserted into a blank spot in the main story. The theoretical conversation would be someone at from saying "Since we always use cut content to make our DLC's, why don't we leave this blank spot here in the world that we can put it in." And then when they make the DLC they can't insert it without crashing the game and so just give up and put another bonfire warp to it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
man, I was getting so mad at the Crystal Sage until I realised I had like 30 throwing knives for the clones. that and my dagger made short work of him in the second stage

e: and I just took out the giant tree with like one sliver of health left at the end. that's how it seems to go for me in these games. I get stonewalled for a while somewhere, and then I take out a couple bosses. then I get stuck in the next area.

also, is there some disadvantage to being Hollowed?

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 22, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

morallyobjected posted:

It makes you gently caress ugly. thats it

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

skasion posted:

It makes you gently caress ugly. thats it

in fact it makes you more powerful. sadly the way it makes you more powerful is giving you luck based on your hollowed state if you have a hollow infused weapon on hand. so basically useless most of the time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

morallyobjected posted:

Heavy penalty to your barbie stat, but only with certain armor pieces

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
It makes your Pyro tube top empty hollow.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Ain't nothing wrong with living the jerky life. It's a good motivation to keep up with your fashion souls.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Laminator posted:

Ain't nothing wrong with living the jerky life. It's a good motivation to keep up with your fashion souls.

Unless you're going for the extreme anime fetish fashion souls of vilhelms chest piece with gaels leggings

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
holy poo poo, gently caress whatever those creatures are in the outside area of the cathedral that hit you once and cause blood loss to build up like three times

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

holy poo poo, gently caress whatever those creatures are in the outside area of the cathedral that hit you once and cause blood loss to build up like three times

Getting hit infects you with worms which are what actually cause the bleed build up, if you equip a torch the worms go away.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The pawns in Dragon’s Dogma get a bad rep, but they definitely helped a lot of people.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

Getting hit infects you with worms which are what actually cause the bleed build up, if you equip a torch the worms go away.

this is super helpful to know! thanks! I accidentally ran into the frost demon or whatever too while all of this was happening, so I ended up running for a corner and using a bone to escape. I barely made it out alive

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah I'm pretty sure the game doesn't in any way communicate that to you so :v:

Good luck! The Cathedral is honestly one of my favorite zones in DS3, I hope you enjoy it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I like the aesthetic of the cathedral a lot but it feels like there are always just groups of enemies everywhere ready to mob and kill you. thankfully, I've found the shortcuts from the chapel, so that makes exploring a little less arduous

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

this is super helpful to know! thanks! I accidentally ran into the frost demon or whatever too while all of this was happening, so I ended up running for a corner and using a bone to escape. I barely made it out alive

I'm trying to figure out what the "frost demon" is

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm trying to figure out what the "frost demon" is

Large Crystal Lizard is my guess.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

morallyobjected posted:

+10 torch most op weapon in the game, what do u guys think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Red moss will also get rid of the worms.