Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

spaceblancmange posted:

now go on sale again

This isn't an emptyquote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I'm doing a few extremly low effort challenge runs: Only equip the starting gear for the class. Weapons can be upgraded, rings and consumables are allowed, just don't swap out the starting gear ever.

My first character was a Knight, and everything went smoothly until I was fighting Yhorm and I didn't draw enough aggro, so Siegward died. Forget about fighting Yhorm straight up with a regular weapon, so I broke the challenge and used the Storm ruler. Other than that, the long sword can really carry you through the whole game.

Second character is a Pyromancer. It got trickier right away. For the Knight, I just levelled STR to 40, and then dumped everything into VIG and END. For a Pyro, VIG, ATT, END are all important, as are INT and FTH for actually making some damage. The hand axe is kind of terrible, turned it raw, but all titanite goes towards the pyro flame.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Winblades still the way to go for PVE?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

virinvictus posted:

Winblades still the way to go for PVE?

I never got how the Sellsword twinblades are so great. :saddowns:

I like the Zweihander or Claymore for a STR build, and Lothric Sword or Astora Greatsword for DEX or quality builds.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

axolotl farmer posted:

I never got how the Sellsword twinblades are so great. :saddowns:

I like the Zweihander or Claymore for a STR build, and Lothric Sword or Astora Greatsword for DEX or quality builds.

I never used them but from what I can infer by googling they scale frighteningly well with the buff items since it’s a flat +X damage per hit and not +X*%*, and the Winblades let you attack a lot, plus they scale well with Keen infusions so after a while even the base damage is great. Or at least, that’s how I understand it, even as a mage I prefer making an axe or giant sword scale off magic instead of using slender sticks. :v:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Winblades are great for a playstyle where you have no issues getting super up close and personal with the bosses, just L1ing away at their asses, to poo poo out insane amounts of damage in as short a time as possible.

In order for that to work, you already need to know your attack windows, the best buffs for each boss, you want to upgrade them to max asap, etc. - it's not a "just use them on a random playthrough and they'll be op" weapon, they become op when you build for them and have a good plan

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Meh, I respecced my pyromancer into full dex with the winblades on my first playthrough and they were plenty OP even without knowing every boss's detail.
You basically get to sneak in cheeky attacks during small openings, same as fast swords can, but you get to do it with 2x damage with an L1

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Ok, never tried the twinblades with resin buffs. :hmmyes:

Electromax
May 6, 2007
If you've ever wondered. Yhorm is actually not so giant compared to the Giants in the cathedral of the deep. Wolnir's torso is actually at scale with the larger one, though.
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1570737313705230341
Fire Giant is even bigger than skeletor here, will make an updated one with the other Souls giants once I get through them. Kind of interesting, maybe for game mechanic purposes?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
That's very cool. The curse-rotted great wood is a lot smaller than I expected. Or maybe Wolnir is just surprising large.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I've been thinking about doing a SL19 +2 watchdogs of Farron pvp build again, it was one of my favorite souls experiences. Maybe this time I'll do the dancer skip with it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Electromax posted:

If you've ever wondered. Yhorm is actually not so giant compared to the Giants in the cathedral of the deep. Wolnir's torso is actually at scale with the larger one, though.
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1570737313705230341
Fire Giant is even bigger than skeletor here, will make an updated one with the other Souls giants once I get through them. Kind of interesting, maybe for game mechanic purposes?

Hey dude have you hosed with Elden Ring at all yet? My best friend and I were wondering if you could fit every Dark Souls map inside of Elden Ring at the same, like Elden Ring is the size of every DS game combined. Would you have happened to figure that out by now?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey dude have you hosed with Elden Ring at all yet? My best friend and I were wondering if you could fit every Dark Souls map inside of Elden Ring at the same, like Elden Ring is the size of every DS game combined. Would you have happened to figure that out by now?

Yeah I extracted a bunch of ER stuff I'm going through, it's way bigger. Most of DS3 could fit onto the little southern Weeping Island or whatever, DS1 and 2 wouldn't fill Limgrave and Caelid. It's hard to compare because they don't have big open areas like ER does... I think if you only considered the Legacy Dungeon areas of ER like Stormveil, Volcano, Capital City, Haligtree, they are comparable in size to DS3. ER just adds a ton of countryside on top of it. The dungeons/catacombs are pretty copy/pasted when you look at them all together for sure.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Electromax posted:

Yeah I extracted a bunch of ER stuff I'm going through, it's way bigger. Most of DS3 could fit onto the little southern Weeping Island or whatever, DS1 and 2 wouldn't fill Limgrave and Caelid. It's hard to compare because they don't have big open areas like ER does... I think if you only considered the Legacy Dungeon areas of ER like Stormveil, Volcano, Capital City, Haligtree, they are comparable in size to DS3. ER just adds a ton of countryside on top of it. The dungeons/catacombs are pretty copy/pasted when you look at them all together for sure.

Awesome, posting pics or stats of your work would be instantly appreciated

The older games are constructed more like tromp l'oeil dollhouses though with lots of vertical doublebacks and easy-to-miss physical secrets, so maybe the total player exploration distance is less tiny in comparison. Illusory Wal on youtube does a lot of in-depth research on this with visual overlays and debug stuff

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Electromax posted:

this is very cool. i'd love to know how the biggest legacy dungeon in ER (stormveil, i think?) compares in size to the entirety of DS1

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

a.p. dent posted:

this is very cool. i'd love to know how the biggest legacy dungeon in ER (stormveil, i think?) compares in size to the entirety of DS1

Where does the Haligtree fit on the scale of things? Idk if that stretch from the warp gate till Loretta counts as it’s own thing or part of the whole dungeon but even the second half felt pretty massive.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'd Dark Hand that dump truck rear end

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Are folks diggin DS 3 over ER?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I consider DS3 a tighter experience than ER but that's like, a consequence of the fundamental design. They're both absolute gaming titans, tho

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Can't wait for portable dark souls 2 and 3 as soon as my Deck comes in!!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I prefer Elden Ring because the minor improvements to the combat and I feel most of the bosses are a lot more fun in ER. It also a lot less grey than 3.

The downside is that the game is huuuuge.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Going back to older games and being unable to jump is super disorienting.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think Dark Souls 3 is one of the weakest From games and Elden Ring is one of the strongest. I've always been a sorcery-first kind of person and DS3 took nearly every possible decision to make magic worse because..??? Fortunately they seemed to have corrected course with ER where you're allowed to have fun again doing anything besides melee.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Electromax posted:

Yhorm The Fairly Large just doesn't have the same ring to it.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Pope Guilty posted:

being unable to jump
:eng101:
https://i.imgur.com/852sTOi.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/PvwWZ0u.mp4
:colbert:

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Can I pre-emptively ask for any specific ER details (boss names, locations, etc.) to be put in spoiler tags itt cause I haven't played it yet on account of my very old computer and I've been trying hard to dodge spoilers. But at the same time I'd also like to continue reading DS3 chat. :) I know it's been out for a few months now but that's still relatively new and this technically isn't the ER thread so hopefully I'm not being too fussy.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

Going back to older games and being unable to jump is super disorienting.

I just replayed DS1 and I had to stop myself from trying to hit the crouch button during sprints to restore my stamina :v:
Also had a couple of sticky situations because I thought I could just roll out of my sprint

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

I just replayed DS1 and I had to stop myself from trying to hit the crouch button during sprints to restore my stamina :v:
Also had a couple of sticky situations because I thought I could just roll out of my sprint

1. You can map jump to L3 instead of circle in DS3
2. WTF, didn't know the crouch trick for maintaining running stamina thanks

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
ER is boring, bloated, and horribly unbalanced and DS3 is one of the best games in the series next to Old Hunters BB

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Perfect Potato posted:

ER is boring, bloated, and horribly unbalanced and DS3 is one of the best games in the series next to Old Hunters BB

:same:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Ah yes DS3, a game that cares about balance at all.

Hell I don’t think any FROM game cares about balance really

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ah yes DS3, a game that cares about balance at all.

Hell I don’t think any FROM game cares about balance really

I wouldn’t say it’s balanced but Elden Ring cares or they wouldn’t have patched in buffs to stuff like colossal weapon stability to make them on par with medium shields and spell casting speed along with the nerfs to OP stuff.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Elden Ring is the best game ever. DS3 is probably top 25 or so.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I replayed DS3 despite not liking it very much but I can't imagine ever replaying ER so thats my voting methodology and Im sticking to it

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Feel like I'm going crazy, DS3 has awful weapon selection and is very linear so replaying it is not very fun, while ER has insane weapon variety and is almost disgustingly open, so you can actually reach a WHOLE lot of those weapons right out the gate. It's extremely replayable because you can beeline to your build and go "oh this time I'll do Altus before all of Liurnia" or "Volcano manor basement as my first dungeon? Don't mind if I do"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DS3 has a better boss roster and you can complete it inside the time it'd take to clear the first two regions of Elden Ring of youre not rushing past everything. I wouldn't say its better but theres pros and cons for each imo

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
ER has more weapons except I feel like I engage way less with their movesets because certain things are just way stronger, so you almost always wind up with a moveset that's hyperfocused on one thing in practice. spamming the OP move, whether that's weapon art or jump attack or whatever, compared to learning good al-around fundamentals.

the only move in ds3 that is normally markedly underpowered compared to the rest is charged heavy attack. and while it's good that they buffed it via stance damage, jumping heavy attacks are usually both safer and also faster at stance breaking(and that's without accounting for stuff like flame of the redmanes or lion's claw) so it still gets left behind.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 6, 2022

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Personally, the only part of a Souls moveset I ever engaged with was the roll attack. Otherwise it's R1s (or L1s with the winblades :smug:) all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
in ds3 you press r1 for light attack, r1 after pressing/while holding B for rolling attack and sprinting attack, maybe sometimes an r2 because it oneshots a specific enemy or has more range, plus situationally weapon art on many weapons

that all usually feels relevant and useful, and then in ER with many setups you basically only give a poo poo about your weapon art or jumping heavy that does thousands of damage.