Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

No Dignity posted:

Every boss just being a mix of bosses from other games is a pretty big downer too imo. I was flicking through a stream of them and one guy was just Radagon in the first phase and then just Artorias in the second, cool

You know, I wanna say "so what, I don't even know what those attacks would look like" then I remember being so goddamn pissed off at like 3-4 Taurus demon fights in vanilla DS3's first half, so yea fair cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

No Dignity posted:

Every boss just being a mix of bosses from other games is a pretty big downer too imo. I was flicking through a stream of them and one guy was just Radagon in the first phase and then just Artorias in the second, cool

That's rad. Consider developing better opinions.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Captain France posted:

So is this a "just the first couple areas" demo, a "we need more testing" demo, or a "there's no good reason to call this a demo" demo?

I'm definitely interested but I've also got enough other games to play to wait for a full release pretty easily.
It's huge demo with loads of areas and content, but it definitely needs more testing and balancing. As others have said, the enemies are extremely spongy right now, so it's best to just wait until release.

Vintersorg posted:

one of the areas will blow you away once you step out the tunnel
I know exactly which tunnel you mean. Just wow, really. Did not see that one coming at all.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So ever since I read the wiki and respecc'd I've been having a grand time roleplaying as Smough. I'm using his hammer, finally got enough stuff to use his atrocious armour, and have been fat-manning my way through everything. The perseverance skill is amazing, I cannot believe how powerful and efficient it is compared to the lovely sword stance stuff from before. Anyways, am wrapping up archdragon peak (what a mean way to hide a lategame area) and have finally 'finished' my stats, which is basically 40's across all the dumb bonk stuff once you take into account the prisoner ring bonuses.

Then the penny dropped that I don't have to be using Smough's stuff anymore, Havel's gear just dropped and Gundyr's armour looks plenty efficient. Any recommendations on dumb heavy playstyles that's not just facetanking bosses as I abuse perseverance with a 2h hammer? Looking for ideas like putting a pt in intel to use magic shield with the greatshields, or maybe some weird poise trick I've not cottoned onto yet.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Go to 66 STR? When you 2hand a weapon your STR is increased by 50% so it's the same has having 99 STR. Also Ledo's Great Hammer is even more cartoonishly oversized than Smough's hammer if your goal is to flatten stuff.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Serephina posted:

Any recommendations on dumb heavy playstyles that's not just facetanking bosses as I abuse perseverance with a 2h hammer?

There's other playstyles? :confused:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Serephina posted:

So ever since I read the wiki and respecc'd I've been having a grand time roleplaying as Smough. I'm using his hammer, finally got enough stuff to use his atrocious armour, and have been fat-manning my way through everything. The perseverance skill is amazing, I cannot believe how powerful and efficient it is compared to the lovely sword stance stuff from before. Anyways, am wrapping up archdragon peak (what a mean way to hide a lategame area) and have finally 'finished' my stats, which is basically 40's across all the dumb bonk stuff once you take into account the prisoner ring bonuses.

Then the penny dropped that I don't have to be using Smough's stuff anymore, Havel's gear just dropped and Gundyr's armour looks plenty efficient. Any recommendations on dumb heavy playstyles that's not just facetanking bosses as I abuse perseverance with a 2h hammer? Looking for ideas like putting a pt in intel to use magic shield with the greatshields, or maybe some weird poise trick I've not cottoned onto yet.

How does one pronounce "Smough," anyway?

"Smuff?" "Smaow?"

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

"Smuff?" "Smaow?"

Smough

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It's pronounced "sword"

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

"Smuff?" "Smaow?"
"Smo". It's a pun on Sumo

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It's pronounced "sword"

That's "s words", Mr. Thunderbeast.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Why is it when you equip a ring or use an item that raises resistance, the bar for that specific status pops up as if you've accumulated it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Because for some strange Fromsoft reason you start at the previous floor for that status type and then have to burn off the difference.

If your first thought is "doesn't this make items that improve status resistance way less good" then welcome to the club.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
look man, any excuse to avoid floating point math in a multiplayer game is a good excuse

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't see how that's related to status resist boosts giving you full status meter instead of empty. it's not like it's hard to round to integers

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it worked how you wanted it to you could just toggle the ring on and off to gain free status curing. You can do something similar with regen.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

John Murdoch posted:

Because for some strange Fromsoft reason you start at the previous floor for that status type and then have to burn off the difference.

If your first thought is "doesn't this make items that improve status resistance way less good" then welcome to the club.
It makes more sense if you think of status buildup being like a health bar that depletes as you get more of the status, and regenerates on its own when not being inflicted. When it hits 0, you get the status effect. It's basically like getting a boost to your max stamina and having to wait for your stamina to regen to the new maximum.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, but unlike when you raise stamina which unlocks qualitative changes like being able to swing another time, extra resistance to foo is really questionable in DS games. Not like, elemental resistance such as fire or dark, but the buildup bars. The opportunities where the resists foo rings are good picks are few and far between; Poison swamp? Yea no the poison resist ring and stats are worthless. Boss that does status effect X? It probably 3-shots you for it, better to not get hit and pick a ring that lets you roll another time. Did that same boss proc the effect since your bar was so full from an attack from ages ago? Yea, maybe if rings accelerated the speed that the status dissipates it'd be nice, wouldn't it?. The rings only really hold a use for when you have terrible foo resist (early game?) but need the capacity to fight a normal enemy without it proccing before they die, such as the bleed manakins in DS2. Super niche.

The status buildup things, specifically how they are resisted, feel dumb and bad and only exist as such in Fromsoft games for a reason. The weird UI on equipping a ring is just a symptom of it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

John Murdoch posted:

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it worked how you wanted it to you could just toggle the ring on and off to gain free status curing. You can do something similar with regen.
I mean, there's very simply no reason it couldn't raise the max without adding status infliction. There are plenty of times when gamers online make gamedev stuff out to be easy when it's not, but this isn't one of them. Just kind of fundamentally with the sort of system this is... a variable that ranges from 0 to some arbitrary maximum, changing the maximum without changing the current number of the variable should be completely trivial.

We just have to assume that for some obscure reason, fromsoft wants it to be like that.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
One benefit is that it makes it obvious that it did something, and you can see it immediately in the most important way it can be seen. Take the thing off and on back and forth and you can see how big the effect is.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm sure that's the deliberate reason I get six status bars every time I load up the game with prisoner's ring on.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

LazyMaybe posted:

I mean, there's very simply no reason it couldn't raise the max without adding status infliction. There are plenty of times when gamers online make gamedev stuff out to be easy when it's not, but this isn't one of them. Just kind of fundamentally with the sort of system this is... a variable that ranges from 0 to some arbitrary maximum, changing the maximum without changing the current number of the variable should be completely trivial.
It is changing the maximum without changing the value of the variable: that's your entire issue with it. "Build-up" is effectively a subtractive thing. Walking in poison decreases the poison build-up meter over time until it hits zero, at which point you are poisoned. If you have 10 base points of poison buildup resistance and you put on a ring that adds another 10 points, then you end up with a value of 10 out of 20 poison build-up "health", i.e. your bar becomes 50% full and it shows on screen while those new 10 points regenerate. It's just a quirk of how build-up bars work.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Right, but there's no reason for it to be subtractive instead of additive when it leads to that unintuitive behavior and makes items like mossfruit markedly worse.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
They did it that way as a test of skill

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

No Dignity posted:

Every boss just being a mix of bosses from other games

Welcome... to dark souls three

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

I'm sure that's the deliberate reason I get six status bars every time I load up the game with prisoner's ring on.

lol calm down

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

It's not like you'll suddenly come down with said status just for putting the ring so you're getting mad at nothing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The discussion is 'why on earth wouldn't it just work the way any sane person would implement it'. Its not the end of the world, its just a baffling annoyance.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

It does make mossfruit and profuse sweat marginally less useful, as about ten seconds of the buff's duration is expended waiting for the bars to drain.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I have never minmaxed resistances in DS3 except for getting the items swimming in lava down in Demon's Ruins.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Party Boat posted:

It does make mossfruit and profuse sweat marginally less useful, as about ten seconds of the buff's duration is expended waiting for the bars to drain.

It'd also be one thing if it was just an old quirk of DS3, but it carried right into Elden Ring. Which already has problems justifying its bloated list of consumables without making a bunch of them worse due to wacky programming.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
I've been running through NG+ with a pure strength build whacking everything with FUGS and having a great time.

Kinda want to switch to dex to mess with some of the other weapons but I'd like to maintain my current level of wrecking everyone's poo poo. Any reason not to just swap the 66 str for 66 dex?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

axolotl farmer posted:

I have never minmaxed resistances in DS3 except for getting the items swimming in lava down in Demon's Ruins.

This is gonna sound like a joke but you can just use a shield to block the lava damage.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

goblin week posted:

This is gonna sound like a joke but you can just use a shield to block the lava damage.

:laffo: That is incredibly stupid! Love that janky FROMsoft logic.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Only on the way in, though, because it hits from one direction only. :psyduck:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

McKracken posted:

I've been running through NG+ with a pure strength build whacking everything with FUGS and having a great time.

Kinda want to switch to dex to mess with some of the other weapons but I'd like to maintain my current level of wrecking everyone's poo poo. Any reason not to just swap the 66 str for 66 dex?

I'm no DS3 expert but you might find that your equip load goes down a bit switching to dex gear and you have a few free points to play with. Enjoy going spin2win with the sellsword twinblades

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

goblin week posted:

No way.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

goblin week posted:

goblin week posted:

Only on the way in, though, because it hits from one direction only. :psyduck:

Well, it must be intentional...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Blocking lava has been in these games since the beginning, using purple flame shield in the lava river in 2-2 is the best way to get a quick pure dragonstone iirc.

Honestly though lava is such a crapshoot across the series. Might kill you instantly, might kill you unless you have a key item, might just be a mildly irritating orange swamp. Oh yeah and there is never any way to find out which except jumping in to see for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

skasion posted:

Oh yeah and there is never any way to find out which except jumping in to see for yourself.

It's just like life, mannnnn.