Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Schedule for today:

Put the kid to sleep, wait till girlfriend goes to sleep then Dark Souls all night long. I'm the worst :v:

Put the girlfriend to sleep at the same time as the kid. You've waited long enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Kiggles posted:

Can someone help me parse this.

Is this where you can match with people +/- 10 soul levels, and weapon enhancement effectively adds to your soul level (bumping you up a bracket)
or
Is this where you can match with people +/- 10 soul levels, and are further filtered to only match with people who are +/- 2 levels on their weapon?

match with people +/- 10 slvls and then filtered by weapon upgrade +/-2

lvl 50 with +5 weapon

40-60 slvl
+3 / +7 weapon upgrade

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm probably going to beeline for it, how do I get in the purple pals covenant? Also how quickly can I get a zweihander? I know the greatsword is pretty early on.

Also is Bloodborne's password system back?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

GMG came through! Now to tease myself with a preload and GB's quicklook.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-dark-souls-iii/2300-11109/

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

ZZZorcerer posted:

match with people +/- 10 slvls and then filtered by weapon upgrade +/-2

lvl 50 with +5 weapon

40-60 slvl
+3 / +7 weapon upgrade

Neat, thanks. Not sure how I feel about it, but seems legit.

How does the password system work? Anyone with the password can see and summon/invade regardless of SL/weapon enhancement?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Also I forgot to ask but for the password system will it pull from anyone with the password anywhere like in the Chalice Dungeons or do they have to have the sign in the area?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Does the DS3 fast travel screen still have some kind of orange outline around areas where you can easily get matchmaking summons?

Neato
Mar 2, 2016

Just retrieved my GMG code check your emails.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Any word on the port forwarding in DSIII?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

White Phosphorus posted:

Any word on the port forwarding in DSIII?

Should use Steamworks, and a similar server structure to DS2, so if you didn't have to fiddle with anything there I don't imagine you should have need to fiddle with anything here.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Regarding weapon level matchmaking, if you do not get summoned / if you do not see summonsigns / if you get no PvP hits, or barely any of those, upgrade your weapon a notch and try again. Some weapons only go to +5 so each step is a +2.

Another pro-tip: Listen to all the NPC talk and talk with them a lot. Story deeper than the combined wallets of the Panama list members.

Minrad posted:

if you can live with this

(that's 30 fps vs 60 fps)

you'll be fine, probably

That's an artificially made 30fps and really, fake as a motherfucker of a comparison. The real 30fps game is the "60fps" one and not giving headaches. Game doesn't shitchunk like that on my monitor or through my 1080p60 video capture equipment. People can live with the console version's 30fps.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 11, 2016

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Minrad posted:

if you can live with this

(that's 30 fps vs 60 fps)

you'll be fine, probably

That 30fps gives me motion sickness or something.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

MrLonghair posted:

People can live with the console version's 30fps.

Sure but it's still lovely to play at such low FPS.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Green man sent me my key

I'm preloading good night goons

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's out!

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Szcwczuk posted:

This game doesn't need 60 to make its fundamentals work, at all, even in PvP. It's just that it looks like the hottest sexiest thing ever when it runs at 60 and there's no going back to 30 afterwards.

Racing games need 60. Goodbye Evolution Studios.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Last question I have otherwise I'm going in blind; after getting an ending, can you reload and try for the others (that are available to you) or do you need to beat the game multiple times to see it all? In Dark Souls 2 you could just keep going afterward for more stuff.

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

I've been playing the PS4 version since saturday (yeah I got it early :hellyeah:), and the framerate is very smooth. No headaches, and I haven't reached an area where it has dropped at all. This is version 1.03. I was expecting some drops based on the reviews but I guess it was patched. I really don't think that gif does it justice.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Last question I have otherwise I'm going in blind; after getting an ending, can you reload and try for the others (that are available to you) or do you need to beat the game multiple times to see it all? In Dark Souls 2 you could just keep going afterward for more stuff.

You do not go straight to NG+ after the credits unless you choose to, but you can't fight the final boss again for a different ending. You should be able to "save scum" for them all, though, by copying your save pre-final boss. That said (very minor spoiler) one of the endings requires that you meet certain requirements earlier in the game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Funstock key is here. time for soles

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

You do not go straight to NG+ after the credits unless you choose to, but you can't fight the final boss again for a different ending. You should be able to "save scum" for them all, though, by copying your save pre-final boss. That said (very minor spoiler) one of the endings requires that you meet certain requirements earlier in the game.

Thanks! I'm prepared to die now.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Szcwczuk posted:

Not really. You only need 60 FPS for fast-paced twitchy games. It's always nice to have but hardly necessary here.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The pain I will feel in my soul (no pun intended) when I get the game tomorrow (in theory, you'd better loving deliver, Amazon Release Day shipping) and won't be able to play till Wednesday.

Between work and then my weekly board gaming night that I could cancel, but won't (my GF likes having a night to herself and gets "ornery" when I don't go) I won't have a chance until Wednesday...or maybe late Tuesday night if I play after I get back from gaming.

Either way I plan to be "sick" on Wednesday to have the whole day to play.

Is it lame to take a sick day for video games? I dunno, maybe, but their my sick days, I rarely use them, and as far as I'm concerned it'll be a "mental health day."

I've been keeping myself mostly blind, only seen a few clips and reviews. It's also the first time I didn't also get the guide book, figuring I can just save money and use wikis and this thread.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Look at all these people posting about PvP while also taking about buying the PC version, like it won't be full of hackers and cheaters within the first 48 hours*.

* - Console versions will turn into the same thing, mind you, it just might take an extra few days.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is it lame to take a sick day for video games? I dunno, maybe, but their my sick days, I rarely use them, and as far as I'm concerned it'll be a "mental health day."

I'm taking a vacation day tomorrow to play all day, so it's probably no more lame than that.

(Incidentally I'm also legitimately sick today but I couldn't force myself to take two days off in a row when one of them is for a relatively frivolous reason, so here I am at work coughing my lungs out onto my keyboard.)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Harrow posted:

I'm taking a vacation day tomorrow to play all day, so it's probably no more lame than that.

(Incidentally I'm also legitimately sick today but I couldn't force myself to take two days off in a row when one of them is for a relatively frivolous reason, so here I am at work coughing my lungs out onto my keyboard.)

I love that when it came to choosing video games vs spreading your pestilence to everyone you work with, you chose video games.

:patriot:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I went PC for this since I actually have the kind of hardware that should run this maxed at 60fps for a change. Now I'm torn between Knight and Pyro for my first playthrough. So many upgrade paths I want to try, so many weapons...

I mean Pyromancer with a Raw Astora Straight Sword sounds like a good time, and will let me pump INT/FTH as opposed to STR/DEX to play around with all the spells as well, right?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Harrow posted:

You're setting the stage for tomorrow when you "get worse." Good work coming to work sick and coughing, it's the True American Way!

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Yet another pro-tip: Let go off of the left stick when you jump, this way you won't roll forwards to your inevitable doom

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Women get beards. GOTY

GOTY every year

Weremacht
Nov 4, 2002

THE ONLY THING THAT TURNS ME ON MORE THAN A MONKEY IN A FURRY SUIT IS SPOILING PLOTS

Fuzz posted:

Look at all these people posting about PvP while also taking about buying the PC version, like it won't be full of hackers and cheaters within the first 48 hours*.

* - Console versions will turn into the same thing, mind you, it just might take an extra few days.

you know i'm gonna call bullshit on this. i have hundreds of hours in dark souls 2, the vast majority of which were pvp, and i could count the number of hackers on both hands. ten instances, in like, three hundred hours. truly a vile cesspit of cheaters.

either i'm incredibly lucky (and was in dark souls 1 as well) or this line of thinking doesn't bear out at all

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fuzz posted:

I love that when it came to choosing video games vs spreading your pestilence to everyone you work with, you chose video games.

:patriot:

At least I have an office and no meetings today, so my plague spreading will be limited.

I don't make great decisions.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Just to confirm, the xbox version and their servers go live at 6pm EDT? I got the japanese version so I've been playing. I wanna grind for covenant supplies now.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

You're setting the stage for tomorrow when you "get worse." Good work coming to work sick and coughing, it's the True American Way!
yeah, come on, I thought this was just what everyone did

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fhqwhgads posted:

I went PC for this since I actually have the kind of hardware that should run this maxed at 60fps for a change. Now I'm torn between Knight and Pyro for my first playthrough. So many upgrade paths I want to try, so many weapons...

I mean Pyromancer with a Raw Astora Straight Sword sounds like a good time, and will let me pump INT/FTH as opposed to STR/DEX to play around with all the spells as well, right?

I've heard magic's pretty underwhelming this time (don't know about pyromancy) so I think I'm going to start as a knight, grab a big sword, then level up into using something or other as a supplement.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Fuzz posted:

Killing hackers is the pinnacle of Dark Soul PVP. The kick is back so it should be easy peasy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

Pyromancy is good. Actually all the magic is good, it just requires a ton of investment and 30 Intelligence/30 Faith is just a little more accessible than 60 in either Intelligence or Faith.

Chaos-infused weapons are extremely strong (apparently Chaos Estoc is one of the PvP god-weapons right now) so going full pyro is a good choice. Just keep a Deep or Dark weapon around for whenever you run into something that resists fire.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Is anyone going to be using a Steam Link to stream this to a TV? Would you mind posting about it if you do, I'm on the fence about buying one.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Is anyone going to be using a Steam Link to stream this to a TV? Would you mind posting about it if you do, I'm on the fence about buying one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

yeah, come on, I thought this was just what everyone did

Yep. Gotta be the tough guy who brings down the entire office.