Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
If you have 25 or more int Midir can be cheesed to death with pestilent mist. It's really his only weakness. His ultimate attack is just hilariously awesome so that might be worth dying to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

The best part of the souls series for me was getting to backstab someone with something called a "Mundane Ladle". No one saw that one coming.
Also just lol being a rat with traps. I would knock people off the bridge with a greatbow once they stopped to pick up the pile of dung I left them.

For all its failings I probably did end up having the most fun with DS2. But drat it's DLC was daunting. DS1 had the better add-on.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Promethium posted:

Dreg Heap I agree with, but for Ringed City something clicked on my last playthrough when I realized all the Harald Legion patrol paths just happen to pass underneath bridges and it was a fun exercise stabbing them one by one like it was a stealth game.

This is 100% accurate. But the swamp and like 85% of ring knights I just ran past. Heck, the invasion in the... Dungeon? Crypt?.. the circle place, I just kicked the dude off a ledge, and I don't even know how Lodo died. I think he fell too.

I loved those locust preachers though.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

And Tyler Too! posted:

Sadly the rusty iron ring isn't in DS3. Grab a dagger and spam the weapon art, it's the only way to make that part slightly tolerable.

Oh that's smart. I kept waiting to find the rusty iron ring, only for it to no-show.

Hmm.. would a spear charge work faster? Or the crossbow tackle?

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 4, 2019

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Is it worth using a bandit knife with a blood infusion for bleed procs if I have nothing invested in luck?

I would like an answer to this as well. I was going to use one on the final boss of the ringed city but just went with storyteller staff & snap freeze instead.

I also started blasting bosses with Dorhys Gnawing once I saw a sunbro destroying the dancer with it. Just seems like the easiest bleed attack.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 8, 2019

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

For Friede's boss fight I left a simple message.

"Try stabbing in the back,
Only stabbing in the back required"

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

bows1 posted:

No it’s when I get hit by those dudes in the water I get blood letting for 2-3 full hits over 3 min and no idea how to stop the blood build up

Look closely and you'll see you are covered in maggots that cause bleed buildup. I don't know any way to deal with it other than a blood moss clump.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

My connection is crap, but I still like to play online for the messages and bloodstains. So when I'm invaded I just pop one of those chameleon twigs and play hide and seek.

Invaders don't care to seek sometimes and so they end up wasting 20 min in my game just standing around. Whatever.. I got sudoku on my phone here.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

It's more about foot position than back position.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

I'm really having a hard time understanding why people are saying the twin princes were difficult.

All you have to do is roll around everywhere and use a lightning weapon then you win.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

I just want more rat covenant. Give me my den of fuckery!

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

If you can get the painting Guardian sword in DS2 then you can Parry anything without trying.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

I just finally started playing Bloodborne and I can really see how parts of it influence DS3. The similarity of beasts, the Cathedral sprawl, even the end of the world. It's all eerily similar.

A little off topic of the souls thread, but I really don't understand the chalice portion of bloodborne. They aren't entertaining and the rewards are kinda 'meh'.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

m.hache posted:

They are also great for getting specific end game weapons early in a playthrough. I managed to get the Scyth weapon on a fresh playthrough instead of NG+

I looked it up as well, but I'm pretty sure the chalice sigil that holds it is some hacked nonsense. It's the first root chalice you get but the creatures in it are dropping 5k echos a piece.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Midir was complete garbage for me. My character was generic and could do almost anything, just not well, I relied entirely on exploiting every weakness in the game. Lots of bosses bleed real bad if you hit them with bleed magic btw. Midir's only exploitable weakness is Critical and Pestilent Mist. So one very specific sorcery and an attack you'll only get to make once.

But the rest of the ringed city is hilarious. Killing an Angel just to see it respawn in less than a second is such a bullshit moment. You have to relearn your approach, then change it all over again for the second half. The first giant ghost archer army is crazy intimidating.

Then you figure out you can be invisible and muffled, and the whole difficulty of exploring falls through the floor.

And when it's all over at the literal end of the world, what is left?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Promethium posted:

Finished an SL1 run for the first time (with kb+m, for what it's worth). :toot:

Kinda the faster they are the worse off you are. How long does it take to chip away at Midir?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Am I the only one who actually enjoys the Cursed-Rotted Greatwood fight?

In retrospect it wasn't that bad of a fight. The whole battle evolves fluidly as it keeps going and boss itself changes over time. Admittedly it took me too long to figure out what I was doing in the first place, but I felt like I was making significant progress every time I came back to the fight. Which is contrast to some more "hit this brick wall until you win" type bosses.

Even though I didn't love the fight, I'd still put it above several other fights.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

If not, you can always grind for storyteller's staff for the weapon art(which is actually just better anyways, but usually takes forever to get)

It's worth it.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

The painting is from the first game. It is the Gods trash bin.

VictualSquid posted:

Lazy princes are in my top 5 ds3 bosses. And if I didn't hate lockon breaking moves so much, they would be in my top 5 souls bosses.

I must have gone into this fight with the perfect counter build the first time, because I never had a problem with them and found them pretty easy while also kinda fun. I then proceeded to help everyone else beat them as an super reliable summon.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 10, 2021

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

It’s weird because I habitually lock on to every enemy

Be careful about this. Sometimes is best to swing beside an enemy and not directly at them. I sucked at PvP until I stopped locking on.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

I'm giving this a replay. This time it's all strength and vigor! Plowed my way through everything with a big stick. Now I'm using Havel's shield and Yorhm's Great Machete and wrecking everything in 2 hits. Admittedly I've only fought maybe one boss solo, the dancer. I just have more fun praising the sun.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Holy gently caress. Aldrich Faithful covenant is broken as hell. Nothing but gank squad after gank squad. And they're clearly all in the same discord chat. It's not fair, I can't block these people from ruining the game, and I don't understand how they could be having any fun. Like how long can you spawn gank people and for zero benefits? Apparently forever. It's enough to make me put down the game and rate it 0/10.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Saul Kain posted:

Play offline until you’re through that area? Don’t use an ember and you can’t be invaded iirc.

Uh.. no? I'm trying to play as Aldrich Faithful. Other players have ruined the covenant by using it as a free ganking summon. Like the bell towers in DS2 didn't get ruined and suck rear end, so why did they let this happen? (Admittedly people hosed up the rat covenant alot)

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Edit: didn't read stuff well.

I beat the game with my stronk build. Happy enough to finally use Lodo's giant rear end hammer with Havel's armor. That hammer poise breaks everything. I only solo'd like 2 bosses because why not? And even then they melted to the sheer power of BIG STICK. My only issue is with no int, faith, and attun I had zero spells my whole run and so everything felt one-note, see an enemy, smash it. PvP was just baiting peeps into thinking they have an opening (walking away from them) and then doing a 180 smash when they charge in for the kill.

Getting annoyed by all the fight clubs. If I get blue cop summoned for an invader and the host isn't helping, I'm just gonna black crystal out. Don't have patience for your nonsense, use a red soapstone next time. :byewhore:

Also gonna say this game is much better on the ps5, if even just for the load times.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 21, 2021

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

I just kinda figured anyone can be immortal in the Souls universe, just they all lose their minds and hollow eventually, and stay dead after that. Andre is somehow special and able to avoid hollowing through the purpose of his craft and an iron will. Presumably people never stopped needing him.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

"Hang about the Firelink Shrine making small talk with adventurers", while a good survival strategy, would make a tedious game.

That's the crestfallen knights. They implicitly show how the tedium of survival isn't enough to stave off hollowing.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Mescal posted:

The guards above the spiral staircase/the big cathedreal boss are pretty challenging. I've got a suspicion that everybody plays until the pontiff and does pvp in that area forever? Am I supposed to duel there until I'm level a million? Nobody puts white summon signs by the bonfire in the sky there

You're supposed to duel there forever and spend all your souls on consumables.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

I've seen people using the Great Lance, and that's classified as a polearm, but that's it. I feel there's potential for the Winged Knight Halberd in PvP but I haven't put the effort in.

Tonight I learned Siegward actual can't solo the first demon encounter and he died and I'm super upset about that. I wasn't even putting it all on him, I just stopped for some estus.

Also I saw someone RP'ing as Iron Tarkus to this day all the way at Gael's boss fight. Truely the greatest undead.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Ugh.. Farron woods full of sl30 peeps using gear from the ringed city. People really need to chill the gently caress out. My dinky pyromancer is playing for fun, I just want a gank or two against someone picking on crabs. Meanwhile some twink speced perfect for PvP is using password connection to pass down gear from the end game. Calm the gently caress down, dood.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

giZm posted:

As one of those SL30 twinks the best tip I can give you is to not run at the first person you see and attack blindly. Wait a bit and observe first,
Are all of the enemies dead? Chances are it's a fight club, just BC out. Are the two Exiles at the ladder still alive? Good chance for a solo host coming down from Halfway Fortress.

Oh I know. And I'd be fine with people running around with weapons and armor from the first 70% of the game, but get out of here with that ringed knight poo poo and +3 rings. It's the first 20 minutes of the game. Go blow your load in NG+

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Does anyone else love the storyteller staff as much as I do? It's the staff the Corvian Seer uses.

You can use it to posion the Crystal Sage to death without him ever moving. It does thousands of damage to most bosses, and I just used it to kill the jailer patrols while hiding. I didn't want to get close to the demon in the catacombs so I just gave them the spores.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Char posted:

Let's greet the inhabitants of this beautiful snow-covered town...

If you found the golden scroll in the swamp and are smart enough to cast Hidden Body, I suggest you try it here.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Char posted:

I discovered I could upgrade my Estus Flask only after the Deacons fight.

The flask has 2 types of upgrades. Use estus shards with the blacksmith for more uses. Burn undead bone shards at the shrine bonfire for more powerful estus. There is no reason not to do these things.

Boss soul weapons often aren't as good as just infusing a claymore, but they're usually more flashy and fun. If you're a stronk build the mace/hammer you get from the second boss isn't half bad.

Also now that you beat Crieghton in your world, head back to the bridge to claim your prize.

Also Also the boss is a jerk, but there can be up to 3 NPC phantoms available for summon to help you out. He's the first fight where you're clearly meant to summon help.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

And Tyler Too! posted:

Often is the key word here. Some boss weapons are amazingly good and last well into endgame content. Vordt's Great Hammer hits like a truck and is practically an I WIN button against NPC invaders/PvP thanks to the frostbite proc. The Hollowslayer Greatsword is also extremely good not just for the damage bonus vs hollows but it also has a guard break which is good for shield-toting enemies.

I finally got to use the moonlight greatsword with my most recent build. Fun, Flashy, and the pretty much the only way a caster can engage in PvP. Still got retired once I got the onyx blade. But I did forget how much I loved the Hollow Slayer greatsword, but alot of that was residual love from DS2 where it was the Mirrah GS.

Also I forgot to mention in my previous post to the person going through the Snow City, there's alot of NPC quests that have key moments here. If you sent the thief to pillage here, he's going to need backup from another NPC before you beat the area boss. And if you go too far past the "distant manor" bonfire, then he's going to have a bad time.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

There's also DS2 callbacks, so if you want the max effectiveness I'd say do it all in order. But DS1 gets you to the softcap for sure.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Aidan_702 posted:

I was complaining about being a split int/faith apparently forgetting that pyromancy has genuine utility. Say hello to the great chaos fire orb with the witch’s ring, which apparently absolutely melts everything in the game. The three knights at the cathedral bonfire (aka the farming zone) only take two hits to be incinerated. Got like 400k souls very very quickly. I’m still wearing solaire’s armour and rocking the Astoria straight sword. I’m a holy man through and through except when I’m burning people to death

Pyromancer's also use the crystal chime and most dark casting tools very well. Plus being able to cast Hidden Body gets you where you need to go hassle free. Good luck with the DLC dragon boss though. Nothing you do will work.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Aidan_702 posted:

Does the pestilent mist trick still work with midir?

It's pretty much your only option. I just summoned someone who clearly knew what they were doing, used pestilent mist, and chucked +10 Raw follower javelins at his face. Javelins did around the same amount of damage as my spells for half the FP.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Smol posted:

When I did a pyromancer, I beelined for the Onyx Blade in Ashes of Ariandel.

Yeah, it's this. Onyx Blade and maybe the Moonlight GS if you pump more int than faith. The only other practical weapon is the longsword with an infusion.
I found myself not using weapons at all by mid game and just using the fast cast chime in my offhand while chucking either choas fireball or dark fireball. In PvP though you pretty much have to use a weapon since every spell but black serpent is so incredibly predictable.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

codo27 posted:

Is there a game with skeletons where they aren't one of the biggest poo poo cunts ever? I mean as far back as Golden Axe, they are just bull ding every time

They're push-overs in Diablo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

The interaction of Spell buff = cast stat x weapon lvl is so God drat esoteric for each casting tool that you essentially have to put them all to +10 to find what works for your current int/faith. I hate it. They need a in-game chart for this nonsense.

The spell buff listed on the crystal chime is actually an aggregate of two different spell buffs for miricles or sorceries, BUT the whole amount is applied to lightning spells (not lightning weapon cuz it's a buff). Meanwhile all dark themed cast tools only list the total spell buff for dark spells.