Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Honestly, dark souls 3 is really good and with the 1.03 patch, pretty much everything is viable. Can't want to start 100%ing this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Without saying anything spoiler wise, dark souls 3 really feels like they put together all of their lessons they learned from all of the last souls borne games and put in just about every quality of life improvement. Including new ones just for this game.

I hope they at least use this engine and formula for a new sci-fi series or something. They've got it so drat right with this game, it makes all the previous ones look pretty inferior.

Basically get hyped as gently caress.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

limited posted:

After shamelessly spoiling myself on the bosses ( gently caress it, I need all the help I can get ) some of the size scaling and gimmicks of certain bosses has me pretty hype for when Bloodborne 2 inevitably gets made.

Looks like the guide has been delayed like last time though, it was supposed to release at the same time and I'm getting a 'we've got no bloody idea when we'll actually have this' from Amazon.

Where? UK? Amazon has already shipped the guide to me and it'll be here tomorrow with my collector's edition. This is US.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

This will be mostly gameplay mechanic spoilers for getting a platinum. I have questions and want to be clarified.

is the easiest way to get the platinum to do as much as possible in the first playthrough (I know there are rings in ng+-) and do the hollow quest? I'm assuming you could save before the final boss, do the hollow ending, then reload, and cure it then you can do the other two endings. At that point, you have a ng+ to do any NPC quests you missed but otherwise the goal is to get all the unique ng+ and ng++ rings. So you're better off running every zone and then summon for bosses basically. Now here's a good question. Can you just drop rings? Because I imagine a goon could drop any rings you're missing (you can probably summon across ng+ with passwords) and you can pick it up and hold it for 5 seconds for trophy then give it back.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Can't you duplicate proof of Concord items? It's a droppable item so you drop it for a friend, reload your save off a USB and repeat until you both have 30.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

That would depend on how willing you are to risk From thinking your save data is, ahem, invalid.

Only if you go crazy with duping everything. Getting up to 30 proofs of Concord would be relatively safe. I'm willing to try with someone else who would have some to try and dupe.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I thought you have to find every version of each ring for the ring trophy. The +1s and +2s.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Okay seriously so getting ears is just hosed right now right? I've maxed put every covenant but I still need ears. And doing Knights does not sound fun.

I really hope the patch does something about it. Like allow darkmoon to protect anyone invaded by Aldrich. Doesn't matter if they're in way of blue or not.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

PSA: the easiest way to level up sunbros, mound makers or even regular invaders, just invade in the Aldrich area. People get nonstop invaded by Aldrich and you have a fair chance of winning. You can even be a baby and wait for 1 or 2 Aldrich faithful to show up.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Cyberventurer posted:

I don't know why I find this so amusing, but trying to infuse a dark sword with a dark gem gives it the prefix reinforced, instead of adding another dark to it.

The dark dark sword of ultimate darkness.

Can you apply dark resin to it?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

So is the dancer glitch that you can summon the NPC phantom and he beats the boss for you? Does this work in ng+ too?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

So anyone have some fun early game builds? I want to make a character for farron watchdogs and another for Aldrich. So I guess I'm looking for fun sl 30 and 60 builds.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

This game is so great. But two major things I think most people can agree with.

We've got some serious series fatigue on this now. This is technically the fifth game in the same style that from software has done. This entry in the series has some great bosses and areas but still feels like an expansion pack to the other games. Bloodborne feels like a close spinoff and not something incredibly different and unique. I mean we've got an entire season of dlc to go through but I think after that, they need to remaster demon's and dark souls 1 so the entire series can be on ps4 and then try something much different after that.

And my second thing. I thought people were overreacting but yes I think straight swords are just a little too favored in this game. Seriously, start a new character and pick something non traditional like the shotel and check out how much your win ratio suffers from against straight sword users.

I'm not complaining and I can still win by playing smart, but the game engine seems to be... More tuned for long swords?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Fact: any area that sucked to play through is actually really fun to invade people in. I'm happy that Valley of Defilement, farron swamp and Blighttown all exist. I don't think you've truly experienced every levels potential until you've done some invasions as well as play through it.

It's suspenseful being invaded or invading in the gutter.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Boomstick Quaid posted:

They also put a key directly in front of the locked door it goes to

That key doesn't spawn unless you kill the other three Lords of ember. So that's kind of the reason. I mean I guess they could pull a dark souls 1/2 and it doesn't open unless you have the other Lord souls.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I almost completely missed that one. It's good for running to the Crystal Sages, assuming it takes you more than one go.

Even that one saves you only like a whole fifteen seconds and all the other summons are at the other bonfire.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Re:bonfire chat. Does anyone agree that the longest stretch without seeing another bonfire is ithyrall dungeon? When you really think about it though if you take the shortest path between each bonfire, UT could take you like 30 seconds of running between each bonfire (assume any doors are open or bosses are defeated.)

Maybe ithyrall or grand archive have the longest before you see a new bonfire (and they double back to the original bonfire twice)

Weird bonfire placement is the new lava elevator.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

If nothing else, I love dark souls 3 for bringing us dragon peak, the most bluest sky in the entire series.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Einwand posted:

What are the more interesting zones to PvP in at lower levels anyways, I'm nearly ready to finish up my first run and try out a dramatically different setup. Any good level ranges/zones to keep in mind?

Be level 25 to 40 and join farron watchdogs.

Or level 60 to 80 and join Aldrich.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

By the way it's insane how many embers you get by co-oping even a little. I just started selling them by the dozen for some fast cash or to top up another level up.

I think you get embers for winning as mound maker and Aldrich too?and invading in general?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Ixjuvin posted:

ive lost about 30 invasions in a row now on account of trying to use pyromancy and a weapon that is not a straight sword and i just want A SINGLE loving PALE TONGUE so i can respec out of these dex points i grabbed trying to use weapons that aren't straight swords and i swear to god im going to strangle someone

I think there's two or three pale tongues that are in the game world. Otherwise why don't you go invade in the Aldrich area? You'll always outnumber the invadees if you wait for Aldrich backup

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Szcwczuk posted:

Just got the "kids like you shouldn't be allowed in these games" line.

PVP is the best.

In the long term I play more time in pvp and invading than I will in the pve.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Does anyone call ludleth little Lord? It feels so right.

Little Lord Ludleth.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Estus orange is made from sun people!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah (re dark souls 2 invasions) unfortunately because you don't have an item that's infinite invasions, you rarely see a random invasion in a non pvp level.

I think yes, less than ten times I've been invaded in a non bell or rat area.

It's even worse in scholar because you can summon 3 helpers without any drawback (and bosses scale up to two but not three helpers for hp) so it's so easy to stomp the game like that and nobody wants to invade against 4 people and they're highly unlikely to get back up.

I try to stay embered all the time in ds3. Appreciate it while it lasts.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm playing through embered all the time (PS4) and I'm kind of missing DS2's PvP. Invaders seemed to be a lot more frequent in that game, and there were more options - the bell keepers and rat king arenas in particular I spent hours and hours in. In this one, I spent some time running as a watchdog, but I seem to have hit a certain level threashold and I can't get summoned for it anymore. Other than that, I rarely get invaded (maybe happened once or twice), and I've been summoned as a blue phantom all of 3 times despite always having it on - which, admittedly, is better than in DS2, where it never worked for me at all.

Do I have to hit the ~120 sweet spot to start running into more invaders? Maybe it's because I haven't gotten to the levels where people finally get the uncracked red eye orb? I dunno. I want more PvP mixed in with my solo playthrough.

I don't understand how you're having issues.

You can yet uncracked as low as level 1 if you want. It's not hard to get and it's literally in the first level (you get a key later)

Are you summoning people? One of the things that is agreed on is that invasions prioritize people with cooperators.

And yes you likely out leveled areas. Unlike previous souls games, invaders only cap out at 20 levels above their level for potential targets. Watchdogs is great around 30 and Aldrich is great around 60.
I get summoned every 15 seconds if I join Aldrich to gently caress up people and I have a character who stays at 60.

Staying at level is easier than staying at soul memory from ds2 which was impossible for months.

I don't understand how you can say more options when Aldrich and watchdogs are like bell and rats. And you get mound makers for more pvp.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I haven't quite hit Aldrich yet so glad to hear that's coming. And I liked watchdogs, but I was lamenting how unique rats and bell keepers were. Especially rats, I loved being the trapmaster in my own little dungeon.

Rats I'll give you is unique but watchdogs is way better than bell bros. Bigger area, enemies can be a threat and people have to mandatory go through it. Twice.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'll host a fight Club for ps4. I got a character that's around level 60 with a boss weapon at +3. We can use the irc chat to set up or something.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

If you get the Path of the Dragon in NG, does that mean you can go right to Archdragon Peak as soon as you get to Irithyll Dungeon in NG+? If that's the case then that's awesome.

The blue skies were a refreshing change of pace for me, after having played through three games with red or gray skies. But what do you mean by "blacked out?" I haven't seen this before and I haven't been able to find anything that mentions this.

I didn't see anyone answer this but yes you can go straight to archdragon peak as soon as you get to dungeon if you have the gesture in ng+.

You can also do it just by cheesing dancer and getting someone to help kill ocerios which isn't that hard. It's how I get enough twinkling titanite for my low level invaders using boss weapons.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Just FYI, you only need one fp to cast weapon arts, so shields with simple infusion are pretty good.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Mazerunner posted:

Probably you should have waited until NG+ or even NG++ to grind out the ears, since there's two free ones as loot per cycle, and you can get the Gold Serpent Ring +1/2 which I guess would make it ever slightly less painful. Also more rusted gold coins.

But I only had to go into ng+ halfway since I got copies of all the other rings from other people. Got my platinum anyway, hopefully dlc doesn't add trophies.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

That would be fun if they could do scaled pvp areas where of you go through it with a buddy, it queues two red invaders for you at the second time.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I can't stop invading. Help, I have a problem.

I like to collect videos whenever I win a 2vs1 or a 3vs1 (haven't done a 4vs1), like some kind of sick serial killer.

Does anyone know if you black crystal out when a blue sentinel is around, they don't get the concord? I do this often, if I already know there's a host and a phantom as well as two blues, and they're pretty close to the boss. I really want to believe it sends the blues home with absolutely nothing, which is the goal, if I can't kill and piss off the host, the next best thing is to piss off those blues.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Alabaster White posted:

I want to know this too cause gently caress blues. If I can't win NOBODY wins :unsmigghh:

It's still fun to black crystal out of ganksquads or after giving the host the runaround for 15 minutes, just to deny them the catharsis of actually getting to kill you. Or to make them waste a seed if they try and get clever and use the enemies to finish you off.

e: on the same note, is there anything sweeter than fighting the host to a standstill, black crystal-ing out, and then warping back in to the same world fully restocked with them still injured/out of estus?

I'm gonna ask around. I want to say yes but only because of hatred for them.

Seriously if there's a host/phantom and then a blue sentinel comes in, and I don't have a lot of traps or mobs to use on them then yes I'm gonna take the cheap rear end in a top hat victory on the blue phantom than risk trying to fight possibly all of them at once.

Will report back soon on what situations that a blue will or will not get their Concord.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Double posting with an update. Seems like if you disconnect, the blue will not get an Concord. Confirmed by a friend. Now trying to see if anyone even got a Concord if the invader black crystals out.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

GulagDolls posted:

i don't approve of pulling the plug in order to prevent blues from getting their ears, but i do think that hosts should not help them ever. Earn Your Ear

I don't condone pulling the plug, ever. Just sharing what I find. Black crystal out is legal so I'm gonna do it anyway.

But yes it's spite now (partly after farming 28 proofs of Concord and partly because gently caress it if the blue turns it into a 3 or 4 versus one)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Alabaster White posted:

Thanks for the details, cause that's exactly what I want to do :3:
It's your fault for being a blue in the first place. YOU DESERVE THIS

Yeah I'm doing this any time I know I'm gonna lose, like if there's two blues or if it's already a 3vs1 and I don't have any good mobs or traps to use on them. I'd rather crystal out than give two blues a Concord.

That's my guaranteed way to win by pissing off someone. I consider it some moral victory in a way.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

I can confirm that you don't get an ear if the red crystals out.

You know what's great? Fighting off the red at the start of a level and having them run all the way too the end. Then after you escort the host's stupid rear end through the entire loving stage, the red crystals out in your face. Real fun.

Look I'm just telling you buddy, reds like to feed off tears and salt. This is a beautiful victory for the red. I will be annoying as possible. It's part of being a dick wraith.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Alabaster White posted:

How the hell do two blues appear, anyway? Two invaders? Or cheating?

Fire Orb, Great Combustion, Chaos Fireball. They all have really low requirements too.

It's quite possible for blue sentinels to appear at the same time. Two blues can even appear, a minute or two apart, for one invader. You need to have free summon slots though, so it'll only happen if the host used a dried finger and only has one summon (so they have two slots free) almost fairly certain that three could happen if the host never summons anyone.

That's why usually if that happens, gently caress it, crystal out. It's not worth the risk and you just got a victory of pissing off two blues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Flubby posted:

I don't think they can fight bosses, can they?

You're right on this though, they can't fight bosses.