Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Genocyber posted:

+ There may be hidden paths behind illusory walls. Hit walls if you think they don't fit in. If there is a message on the ground that says "illusory wall ahead" or "hidden path ahead", there's definitely an illusory wall there. Attack as many times as needed to make it disappear.

You magnificent bastard.

Leaving the image in there because it is awesome as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Hello thread, I am in need of some advice.

For my first largely blind (and limping, tripping, stumbling) way through the game, I went with a quality build so I could have access to various types of weapons and see how they worked.

Then I found the claymore. I want to use other things, but it's just .. it's so good. I can't stop using it as my general purpose, go-to weapon. :negative:

Any recommendations for other weapons? I've been as far as the profane capital, but that just seems to loop back around to the dungeon. Also I stumbled upon the snowfield. Point being, I have access to a really large variety of stuff, I'm just not sure what to use.

Edit:

Edmond Dantes posted:

Oh, question while we're at it. What are some good attribute breakpoints to aim for if I'm doing dex/str?

From what I've seen on build guides, 40 seems to be standard before scaling starts to break down.

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 26, 2017

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
^^^ Apparently dex/luck builds with warden twin blades are the real easy mode.

Edmond Dantes posted:

I was a longsword person for most of DeS (Blueblood sword with a high luck stat and Magical Weapon utterly destroys that game), but DS1 and 2 was Claymore all the way, and my first run through BB was Ludwig's, which is Longsword + Greatsword.

As I mentioned/whined about, I wanted to break away from that for DS3, but I found the Claymore and... oh boy, here I go killing again. It's currently at +3 (when do you start getting Large Shards? I think I've found 2 total) and just took me through all of the Cathedral.

Speaking of, is the Bedchamber bonfire the closest to the boss down here? 'cause it's a hell of a run if I need to retry this boss.

Tagged for minor spoiling, just in case:
The ashes you need for the merchant NPC to sell large shards is in the cathedral area.

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 27, 2017

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Buried alive posted:

Hello thread, I am in need of some advice.

For my first largely blind (and limping, tripping, stumbling) way through the game, I went with a quality build so I could have access to various types of weapons and see how they worked.

Then I found the claymore. I want to use other things, but it's just .. it's so good. I can't stop using it as my general purpose, go-to weapon. :negative:

Any recommendations for other weapons?

Quoting myself for relevance. Trip report: I am now using the cathedral greatsword which I swap out with the ceastus for dudes who have high health, but stagger easily enough (LOLthrick knights). Pinning a guy up against a wall and exhausting my stamina to do ~1300 damage with a flurry of punches is very satisfying.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

My big issue was the camera on the first half. I could not dodge that fire breathing attack because I couldn't tell if he was flying away or flying to breath deep.

And also I had like 50 embers to burn so yeah poped a couple got some summons and went at it. Still only got him on try 3 with 2 allies, one died immediately in the 2nd phase and I ran out of flasks and survived on like 20 hp.

Boss was intense. Got his cool spear though. Shame it sucks.

Edit: any advice for starting a pyromancer? I know the eventual goal is 40/40 faith/int for stats but am not sure where to go from there. I got a longsword with raw gem right away so I can hit things and fireball has helped cheese more most on the highway including the boss. I'm wearing lothric knight chess and gloves ATM as they dropped for me and they still keep me under 70% weight, should I go lighter?.

Less than 30% weight gives you more distance on your roll and jump attacks. According to fextralife equipment load has no other effects under 70%, so if your current load out is working then that's as good as it's going to get, game mechanics wise.

You should totally try playing around with an equip load at less than 30% at some point though. The roll distance difference isn't huge, but it feels amazing. Speckled stoneplate ring and ring of steel protection can help with damage mitigation.