Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

+ Pyromancies have intelligence AND faith requirements to cast. They also scale with these stats, having a soft-cap of 40/40.

Oh gross :(

Always liked pyromancy because it didn't require a stat investment beyond attunement to use. I've used it in every single game but having to level up sorcery and faith this time sounds painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Genocyber posted:

You don't need to. It's still really good even with minimal of those stats.

So what, is it a case where only the most powerful pyromancies have high stat requirements to equip? That's fine by me since I rarely used them anyways since they weren't terribly useful in PvE.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Section Z posted:

Basic Combustion is now built into the pyro flame itself, weapon skill style. So sounds like just having a Pyro Flame is basically 80% of the casual pyromancy experience.

The most important pyromancy spell is lingering flame though.

I'm not actually aware if its in the game or not but I can dream.

Tetracube posted:

I hope that doesn't bode poorly for fashion souls

Fashion comes before everything else, no matter what.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

3Romeo posted:

Please don't think I'm intentionally making GBS threads up the thread or anything, but I'm trying to get into the series and I'm just not digging it. I recently picked up DS 1 (PC) and went into a game with a monumentally lovely control scheme, unintuitive play, and a laundry list of some relatively basic questions I had to consult a wiki for.

I really want to get into the game - I love the try-until-success concept, the art, and the oh-poo poo terror of seeing a new boss - but so far it's just flaccid rear end. What am I doing wrong?

Are you playing with a keyboard+mouse? The default controls are infamously lovely and can easily ruin the game. I found a setup that worked for me but it took like 2 hours of tinkering, and most people call it crazy. If you really want to play these games you should probably just get a controller.

As for the wiki consulting, these games can be obtuse at times. Its fun to figure stuff out on your own but sometimes that simply isn't possible. The best way to handle that is to just ask in one of the threads. There are more than enough people that know every last stupid detail about this series.

Lovely Senorita posted:

edit: on that note, it's worth mentioning that there are shields out there with WEAPON SKILL as their ability. instead of a parry, you use the weapon skill in your right/left hand, depending on the hand the shield is in. there's a lot you can do with this, so don't feel inclined to always go with a parry shield!

I don't get this. Does it activate the weapon skill of a weapon you have equipped in the same slot as the shield but aren't swapped too? Cause if it just activates the skill of the weapon in your other hand I don't get what its doing that you couldn't just do by hitting the skill button.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 11, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

3Romeo posted:

Yeah, KB+M. I don't mind a challenge, but I hate having to fight against the interface. It's aggravating in all the wrong ways.

About the "figure stuff out on your own" bit - I think that's the thing that bothers me the most. The game should work inside it's own universe without me having to watch a Let's Play or read a walkthrough.

I've never heard of anyone actually beating the game with the default control scheme. Either rebind some stuff til you find a setup that's comfortable, or just get a controller. The default is trash.

And for the most part you can figure out stuff on your own, its just easy to miss a lot of small details. Most of these don't matter in the long run; missing one item in an area won't end your game. Don't feel like you need to do everything perfectly, there's no point in that. What exactly is giving you trouble?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yes but now they are parasites that grow out of undead like adorable cordyceps fungus.

May or may not be true.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Being able to restore FP over time would completely defeat the point of tying it to a limited resource. That'd be like if a ring restored your health over time. Of course you'd have to be a real loser to sit still slooooooooooowly letting a ring refill your health bar rather than pressing forward, right? :v:

HellCopter posted:

Discounting the off chance that it's not in the game, how is the Moonlight Great Sword this time around? My second run is always a mad dash straight to it.

There's a 0% chance that it is not in the game. From puts it in every game they make nowadays.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I honestly don't get how you can play with a mouse since my problem with it was that there aren't enough buttons on it. If you have one of those fancy mouses with more than 3 buttons that's not an issue but with a regular one it seemed impossible.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Everyone's freaking out about their computers not being good enough while I'm too stupid to understand computer spec talk, which prevents me from getting worried. Ignorance is bliss! :downs:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zaphod42 posted:

(DS3 is pretty hard)

Pft, DS3 is actually really easy scrub

*rolls off the first cliff*

b0red posted:

Since you still have time to make it to the beer store. What is everyone's choice of drink tonight? Got a growler of dead guy ale for such an occasion :cheers:

Bitter dark coffee.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Basebf555 posted:

Can't wait to be all hyped up to play all-night, only to get completely stonewalled by the first boss. Its a Souls tradition in my house!

You got stonewalled by the Last Giant?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm gonna miss Majula. It had a comfy, if a bit melancholic, vibe to it once it got filled with more misfits. Also it had a nice orange color scheme.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've been using a keyboard to play Souls games for so long I do worse with a controller :frog:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Doing low SM runs of Iron Keep was actually pretty fun. Just running past a bunch of angry knights and barely making jumps over the platforms while they charge behind you. Good times.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Walrus posted:

look I'm sorry you can't tell me that finally getting to a bonfire, dropping down a foot and a half only to find you can't get back up and you need to run through an invasion zone is good design. its moronic.

Its so you can't easily skip the Smelter Demon fight, which is good cause he's one of the best bosses. Go kill him.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Walrus posted:

since one of my issues with iron keep has been dispelled, was I also being an idiot with those lava buckets that tip over in the big room with the suspended catwalks and fat club dudes/alonnes? its the stone ledge to your left when you come into the room, there's a bow knight at the end of it. when you get to the end some lava buckets tip over and start lava streaming across the platform into the main pool. my vit wasn't high enough to roll through without dying and I didn't have any fire resist. I also didn't see any pressure plates. on future times through the level the buckets don't reset. what am I missing here

There are pressure plates, you triggered them. They don't reset. You can jump over the lava spills though.

I don't think there's even anything over there other than a firestorm pyromancy in a chest which you need to douse yourself in water to reach.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

net cafe scandal posted:

Change the thread title

Wait about a week and it will be correct.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Please unlock already I want to die

In Dark Souls 3

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

:cripes:

EDIT: It went up to 3 hours and is now rapidly dropping back down

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm going hollow watching this download :qq:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
unlocking music; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ESqvGzdnvs

Seriously LET ME IN

TopHatGenius posted:

FEEBLE CURSED ONE!

Aw I miss him already :(

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
When the game is downloaded but it won't loving unlock for you;

EDIT: HAHA BITCHING WORKED TIME TO DIE!!! :shepicide:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Anyone else having the sound glitching out on them right at the starting area?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wow that king crystal gekko takes forever to kill.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
lmao of course the crystal lizard wasn't the obligatory hard tutorial boss. Obviously its this knight guy!

...oh, you have to kill him :negative:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is it normal to have the sound constantly glitching out? It seems like half the time when I open a menu or something the ambient wind cuts out and loops back to the beginning. Its really noticeable.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Katanna guy is supposed to be hard? I killed him without taking damage. I was super paranoid about his weird stance being a parry though so I threw fireballs in his face a lot.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Alright I feel dumb asking but; where do I go after reaching Firelink? I can't find a way forward. I killed the master but the gate behind him is locked. Explored upstairs, found another locked gate. Didn't find anything downstairs. I dunno where to goooooo :saddowns:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zaphod42 posted:

Put the sword in the stone and use it to teleport :v:

Gotta be observant yo

Ha, I must of missed some kind of text cause I did that without realizing I could actually warp to another area from the start. I was expecting it to be like DS1/2 where you only warp after reaching a bonfire.

Doing fine now. And by fine I mean getting stabbed by rear end in a top hat knights that block doors when you're running from a dragon.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RBA Starblade posted:

A friend of mine died to the first boss, somehow. :haw:

I died to him :negative:

I blew all my estus trying to figure out his first form and then when I got comfortable the second form squashed me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

UberJew posted:

No crashes and the graphics are fine maxed but instead I've got a strange sound issue where new 'foreground' sounds (rolling, attacking, menuing, etc) cuts out the ambient sounds

it is surprisingly distracting, even in tutorial land

This is my only issue as well. Runs perfectly, but the sound keeps cutting out in certain areas.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't get these stance weapon arts. So you hold the button to enter the stance, press strong attack to unleash the stance version of the heavy attack. But to unleash the stance version of the light attack, you don't just hit the light attack button? Instead it seems like you have to let go of the stance button and press the light attack at the same moment.

It feels really clunky. I'm not seeing why the light attack doesn't work like the strong one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah I did some more testing and here's the issue; it doesn't work if I'm moving. If I hold still, I can light attack out of stance. Or if I release the stance button and mash light attack I can do it while moving. I can heavy attack out of stance no matter what I'm doing though, so it just seems bizarre.

Of course now I have the issue of my old control scheme not really working with stance weapons. Never needed to hold that button before, and doing so feels awkward. Argh.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well with these performance issues I guess the thread title is correct :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Not really liking the first real boss. I keep getting him into the second form and then getting squashed because his animations are different and go way quicker. Some of his attacks just seem to go off a split second before I think I should roll and then welp I'm dead. I can't tell what attack he's telegraphing half the time.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Oxxidation posted:

The first boss is basically Sif in that it has an insta-murder radius at midrange but can't do much to you at kissing distance - its few shortrange attacks aren't very strong and are mostly there to smash you flat so it can open up some distance again.

See this was my experience for the fight most of the time. Then he'd suddenly pull out some super fast move that also did a good chunk of damage. I beat him, but I don't really feel like I learned anything. It felt like he let me win since he just did slow attacks instead of fast one.

At least for shiedless he seems way harder than the first real boss of any other Souls game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How the gently caress could the game only crash with certain classes

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can you get a spear from lothric knights? I've gotten 3 swords but none of the spear guys have dropped their weapon.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Extremely pleased at how early this game gives you access to proper witch attire.

:witch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
A fat lady just killed me with a flaming bear hug.

:regd09: