Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

As long as there are incredibly stupid weapons with ridiculously stupid movesets I'll be happy

It unlocks an hour after I get home from class and I have tuesday off so ima be slammin it out real good :shepface:

Get abyss breakdance sword, so much fun, such a stupid moveset. I think its called farron greatsword?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Atleast we with bad discipline can bow our head in shame while enjoying the game earlier than you non fat non retard non goon alphamales

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Its so good. I finished it yesterday and started two new builds immediately. I havent felt this way since dark souls 1.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
its gonna be nice to play the english version when it comes out because the japanese version was pretty good!

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
oh btw it sucks. it suckksssss miazaki suckkssssssssss we who played japanese version was so disappointed that we could only survive our shame by letting everybody else experience it without saying anything. sorry folks, it truly is the worst game in the series

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Will i be able to run this game? my specs are these, I think I have a good enough cpu but CANYOURUNIT says I dont so I dunno =/.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz
8 gb ram
geforce GTX 860M

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
is Geforce gtx 860M good enough for the game? It seems to be on par with the minimum requirement card.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Corvo posted:

I'm playing the game on an iMac with a 780M and it runs fine.

well then, off to the flame-gulag it is!!

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Ive just found a new hobby in life. Leading unsuspecting helping summons to their death in the dancer of valley room. Mohahahah.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
bringing 2 phantoms to get slaughtered at the boreal valley dancer is the most evil fun I've had in a video game ever. Most of them patiently point towards vordt boss room, and i just run the other way stubbornly. then the fight commences and they get crushed within 3 seconds. I get crushed a little later but who cares?

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
If you wear that ring will the summon sign be white?

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Wasn't Ciaran one of the four knights of Gwyn? Abyss watchers have pbvious connections to artorias. I mean, logivally Ciaran is more likely to be connected to boreal valley, with the dancer being one of them femalians and having blue/orange swords.

Edit: unfortunately the hornets ring doesn't appear to be placed in a location where you can come up with interesting theories. The hornets ring in ds3 is found near a grave with a farron greatsword leaning against it. Once more Ciaran is only a smaller part in the greater Artorias mythos. I wish she would carve out her own place in the ds mythos.

Curdy Lemonstan fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 7, 2016

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I always got the impression that she was the first or greatest Darkmoon Blade; "Lord's Blade" Ciaran and all that, combined with her appearance and the feminine associations with the Darkmoon mythos (Gwyndolin's androgynous and the Darkmoon Knight is a woman; the moon itself is described as having a feminine aspect).

That'd be a cool place for them to slip a little more lore about her.

Yeah that would be cool, instead we get female support character overcome with grief over Guts from berserk descent into darkness.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
I hate this game for its linearity. Bloodborne did it way better. Its just not a very replayable game. Damnit. How hard is it to add some more connections and make the loving replay value shoot up in the sky god nibblitz.
I will always love dark souls and demons souls and bloodborne, the proper trilogy.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
The 130 something dollars of cash i spent on japanese gift cards back.

Its not the game's fault, Im just tired of the formula by now i think

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

RyokoTK posted:

This game is technically less linear than Bloodborne because you can kill a mid-game boss earlier than you're supposed to and unlock like six additional bosses ahead of time, so it makes a lot more builds viable for more than half the game.

What boss is that? Dancer is hardly midgame

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Manatee Cannon posted:

releasing three games in as many years will do that. I know I haven't played this game nearly as much as bloodborne or dark souls 2 either and it's absolutely because of fatigue from playing a bunch of similar games recently

Yeah absolutely. The games have become progressively more skill oriented too, previously you could easily cheese all bosses, now they are a challenge. Which is mostly good, but gone are the days when you could cheese a boss and get access to some really good equipment. (Apart from dancer I guess, but you don't even get the dual swords from that until you've unlocked archives.)

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Digirat posted:

While bloodborne is fairly linear you almost always have two options on what to do (old yharnam, hemwick, cainhurst, upper cathedral ward, nightmare frontier are all optional and you can choose when to do them) which goes a long way to making it feel less linear. If you just beeline the required areas it's actually pretty short.

Bloodborne can get away with this because there's not really "builds" in that game as much as just different melee weapons gated by stats, which are very similar in terms of effectiveness. Every character plays much the same way, with only a little wiggle room introduced later on if you really invested heavily into arcane and bloodtinge. In dark souls there are lots more options, which is why dark souls 2 had the best structure because you could go straight to the area that unlocked the stuff you want. Sorcery, pyromancy, miracles, and hexes can all be accessed in just 2 areas if you know where to go, and that's without having to fight a lategame boss with pants gear or with an exploit.

Unrelated: Dismembering champion gundam in under 20 seconds with sorcery was really cathartic after it was the hardest boss for my first character

Actually demons souls had the best structure and dark souls 2 suck, but I generally agree with what youre saying. Sprinting around dangerous areas to get the right equipmeny for your build is one of the highlights of the series for me. Bloodborne was different which made it work, but dark souls 3 just is like one or two major connections away from being absolutely perfect, its such a shame because the world design is amazing. They should have connected that bridge both ways, and maybe put a looong elevator from lothric castle down to the flooded woods or something like that, it would have meant alot for the replayability.

Curdy Lemonstan fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jun 5, 2016

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Digirat posted:

What made dark souls 2's structure suck compared to demon's souls which was almost the same

No I mean I agree with you but I didn't like dark souls 2, just being an autist thats all.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Instant Grat posted:

Tiny nitpick: Amelia can't be the second boss you fight. You need to beat Gascoigne, as well as either Blood-starved Beast or Cleric Beast before you can get to her.

Wrong, you can buy the key for 20k right?

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Oh thats right, my bad!

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

MarshyMcFly posted:

Dude the replay value in this game is incredible. I don't know what your talking about. Have you thought about all the different kinds of characters you can make in this game? It's ridiculous. You can make thousands of different kinds of characters and still have ones that no one has tried yet with a variety of different weapons, stats, upgrades, and spells.

Yes but I did all of that in dark souls 1 and now I'm grumpy and hateful against everything new and shiny. Can't help it bro.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

SynthOrange posted:

Trying out new costumes and only just realized the horrible pun in the Maiden set.

I dont get it, what is the pun?

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

What?

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

New Concept Hole posted:

The soundtrack is laughing at you, just like in Demon's Souls

Also Demon's Souls soundtrack is the best IMO

This is correct. Demons souls has the funnest, weirdest and most memorable soundtrack.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Your Computer posted:

Another thought: I absolutely love the level/world design of DS3 and how you can essentially view anywhere... from anywhere (heck, you can even see Anor Londo immediately as you enter Lothric). It's super neat, and it feels really satisfying compared to DS2's volcano elevators and "there's a thing uh, more or less in that direction" world. The thing is, however.. it doesn't mean dick for replayability. :sigh: What's the point of a gloriously interconnected world if you can't sequence break? DS3 is painfully linear and it would make a world of difference for gimmick builds if I could, say, take a quick detour into Irithyll (while painfully underleveled for the area) and pick up a weapon or armor set and then use that for the rest of the game. :( DS1 had the Master Key, which was brilliant and DS2 had a ton of branching which let you beeline for certain items before really starting the run. For example, in DS1 I went straight to the catacombs and got Grant and then built the entire run around it. In DS2 I went straight down the well and to the first DLC for the Puzzling Stone Sword. In DS3 you can technically sequence break by killing the Dancer early but it barely gets you anything.

I know, right :allears:

I totally 100% agree with you but that ds anecdote is pure bs because you can't get Grant before placing the lordvessel.

It's interesting to me that BB is more replayable than ds3, BB is kinda linear too but there is just something about the starting weapons and central yharnham that is so endlessly satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Andrast posted:

Bloodborne should totally allow you to start with more alternate weapons after you've beaten the game once though. As it is your weapon choice is really limited for like half the game and the early game is really samey no matter what build you are going for.

Yes absolutely, BoM, saw cleaver/spear, cane whip and hunters axe (kirkhammer too i guess) is kinda limited but the game is so tightly designed that it doesn't matter. The weapon choices are fewer in BB but the difference in playstyle between them is way bigger.

Not that you'd need anything other than saw cleaver though. :getin:

Your Computer posted:

I could've sworn, but yeah I just checked and you're totally right :v: It was a while ago so I must've misremembered. It was just a (terrible) example though, there's a lot of stuff you can get early by using the Master Key and running like hell!

Yeah I'm just being pedantic, your point still stands. Ds3 does get amazing around the farron keep and irithyll parts though, it really shines in the mid- to end-game.

There is an interesting video that lists everything you can do before killing the gargoyles in ds1. I strongly recommend it. Ds3 should have had more sequence breaking built into the world, since the world design is so incredibly fantastic as it is.

Curdy Lemonstan fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 29, 2016