Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Soul Reaver posted:

I don't know if anyone's covered it before in this thread but I'm having two technical issues with DS3 on my PC, both present since I started playing (I'm up to Pontiff Sulyvahn now)

Multiplayer issues:

I have no problems with getting summoned to help others (both via sign and via Blue Sentinels covenant, though Blue Sentinels is quite rare).
However, I can't summon anyone, and I think nobody can invade me.

Whenever I try to summon anyone, I wait a while and end up with a 'Unable to Summon Phantom' message (unless it's an NPC summon)
When someone tries to invade, my soapstone becomes unavailable and fog walls pop up for a while, but after waiting for a time the fog walls disappear and my white soapstone becomes available again. Nobody except NPC phantoms have ever invaded me.

I have a broadband cable connection and tend to get decent speeds.
I don't use any mods and never have (after my experience getting softbanned in DS2)
I use Windows Firewall but have allowed Dark Souls III through both private and public.
I also went into the admin for my Broadcom router's NAT settings and set up forwarding for all the recommended ports (which I THINK I did correctly) as per Bamco's suggestions:
TCP: 27014-27050,50050
UDP: 3478,4379-4380,27000-27030,50000-50003

Problem still remains unchanged after the above steps.

Sound Issues:

My ambient sound doesn't seem to loop properly. It cuts out and then starts back up again.

I'm using a HyperX surround sound headset. I've tried disabling all other sound devices as per recommendations I read online but this hasn't made a difference.

Has anyone experienced similar issues and actually managed to fix them? I've searched multiple sites on line and had no luck with the suggested solutions.

I had similar problems on my Xbone with regards to summoning/being summoned. The only real "fix" was resetting the router, which worked for a couple hours until I left the game and came back to it later. No network issues in other games, my router is set up to play nice with Microsoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
It's good to be flexible with your control options.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Nuebot posted:

I am the fashion lord

Dark Souls 2 is inexplicably thriving, guys. I haven't been invaded yet, outside of the bell tower, probably because of how fast I'm plowing through the game and the way it gives you that anti-invasion effect after a boss. But any time I drop a summon sign I get summoned in less than a minute. There are ghosts and petrified bodies everywhere. :negative: santier spear nerds are still going strong though.

Armor just straight up not working together is a huge issue with 3's armor. Even some sets don't work right together. The pants of favor, for example, have a completely different pattern to the rest of the armor which makes them stand out really badly. The whole set is also a different color yellow from any other yellow armor in the game so they can't match well at all. Meanwhile, if you want to wear blue or silver? You have your god drat choice of anything in the game pretty much, they all go together really well.

skasion posted:

Jailers robe is a big black bag with a flared base. No thanks. I will take the black dress, Cornyx, firekeeper, even Karla’s raggedy rear end poo poo over that.

Dusk crown is there to remind you that the price you pay for mighty sorcery is self respect.

The true curse of the undead: unfashionable clothes, for eternity.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Xile77 posted:

I wanna play and get invaded and whine about it, but poo poo, I can't even beat the first boss...

Start as a Pyromancer, make sure you get the firebombs from the cliff, and don't miss once he freaks out halfway through the fight. He's super weak to fire, you can end it quickly once you get his health low enough for the bombs and your fire spell to do their thing.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

HaB posted:

Just get a buddy to do this one.

Drop a purple sign at the Undead Settlement bonfire. Have buddy summon you. As soon as you spawn, buddy jumps off the cliff.

Rinse repeat 30 times. It doesn't take that long.

Wouldn't they need a ton of embers for that? Or does password multiplayer not require embedding?

I'm asking for a friend.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tagichatn posted:

Judicators should stay dead imo but the angels do have summoners that can die permanently.

They're not terribly hard to find, either.

I also kinda thought that the summoners were the nasty physical manifestation of the angels.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

OzFactor posted:

What is with the guy "drawing out my power" and giving me free levels? I'm assuming there's a catch.

Mayyyyybe?

There IS something related to having your power drawn out. Some paths can open, and some paths can close. You'll be fine either way.

Totally unrelated question, but... whatcha wearing? Your character, that is.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

OzFactor posted:

The starting armor for Warrior (Northern, I think?) with the chest piece from the knights on the high wall.

I feel like you're all not telling me something important! Like the time I saw a sign that said "Treasure below" with 50+ approval and I jumped off a cliff and died!

Take a good look at yourself. Are you... remembering to moisturize?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Okay, I'll partially explain.

You don't go Hollow when you die in this game, as I'm sure you've noticed. You're either "regular" or "Enkindled, and you lose Enkindled status when you die.

When Yoel "draws out your power" and gives you levels, he puts a Dark Sigil in your inventory. The more of these you have, the more hollow you get.

It's possible to have them removed, and their presence or absence can affect things.

You'll be fine regardless.

\/\/\/\/ He really is.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 15, 2019

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

OzFactor posted:

So, I've got about ten tries at the Abyss Watchers and I feel like I'm not really learning anything. When I summon one of the NPC friends I can pretty consistently get through the first phase, but without them I can't make it happen, and both of them just melt as soon as the second phase starts. I haven't had much trouble with anything so far in the game as a big burly dude with big heavy weapons, but they/he/it just doesn't seem to stagger enough to actually matter. I can bait and punish all I want but I'm the one that can't recover fast enough after a swing, not they/he/it. I dodge, he gets to the end of his combo, I hit him, then he flinches and turns around and hits me before I can pull back away.

Like I said, I don't feel like I'm getting any closer. I thought I'd check to see if there's anything I'm missing here. I don't want to waste any more embers but I feel like the first part of the fight is almost random as to whether I win or lose--it mainly depends on if the third Watcher holds the aggro of the second one for any amount of time, and that seems almost random.

If you're having trouble, you could maybe see if Yoel can help you... has he drawn out all of your power?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

:ohdear:

How many Dark Sigils did he give you? If you have enough the next thing in his quest line will probably happen anyway. Or, you could just find a way to get rid of them...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Wait, did I see a post saying that one could resurrect Reah in NG+?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'll report back when I've done it! :v:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The horse only fatrolls if you make it wear armor.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's a living nightmare. You can't really die. poo poo's turbofucked. Here's a windmill. Reality is collapsing in on you, maybe immolating yourself will fix it? You still can't die though.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

spaceblancmange posted:

now go on sale again

This isn't an emptyquote.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

GodFish posted:

Ds2 asks you to do different things than ds1 and that made a lot of people very mad.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I want to say that you find the entrance to the second DLC at the end of the first? How does that work if you only have the second?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the free levels (or more accurately, the Darksign that accompanies them) from Yoel are needed for the ending that finally breaks the cycle. It's easy to break the quest chain, though.

You may just want to have fun your first time through, there are 4 endings.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Serephina posted:

So ever since I read the wiki and respecc'd I've been having a grand time roleplaying as Smough. I'm using his hammer, finally got enough stuff to use his atrocious armour, and have been fat-manning my way through everything. The perseverance skill is amazing, I cannot believe how powerful and efficient it is compared to the lovely sword stance stuff from before. Anyways, am wrapping up archdragon peak (what a mean way to hide a lategame area) and have finally 'finished' my stats, which is basically 40's across all the dumb bonk stuff once you take into account the prisoner ring bonuses.

Then the penny dropped that I don't have to be using Smough's stuff anymore, Havel's gear just dropped and Gundyr's armour looks plenty efficient. Any recommendations on dumb heavy playstyles that's not just facetanking bosses as I abuse perseverance with a 2h hammer? Looking for ideas like putting a pt in intel to use magic shield with the greatshields, or maybe some weird poise trick I've not cottoned onto yet.

How does one pronounce "Smough," anyway?

"Smuff?" "Smaow?"

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Foul Fowl posted:

the whole game feels like dark souls fan service with one callback or another coming every five minutes, but not in a bad way. i'm excited for the DLCs - friede was my favourite boss fight on my first playthrough and i'm hype to revisit her.

Dark Souls 3 (I feel) makes a brilliant comment on remake culture and the need (or refusal) to let things go. Part of that is a direct response to Dark Souls 2, but also who knows what else you can map onto there.

It's the first of the games I played at the same time everyone else was playing for the first time.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I liked Dark Souls 2 as a sequel, I like when devs try new things.

Could have sworn I was supposed to remember someone, though. Oh well.

I wish they would remaster or remake Otogi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

John Murdoch posted:

Everybody always latches onto the DS1 callbacks (usually to complain), but nobody ever talks about all the DeS references.

I don't get any of the demon's Souls, or Bloodbourne references, and I doubt I ever will.

Not unless Sony gets real cool about a bunch of stuff.