Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Is it just me, or does Deprived actually look like the best class to start out with? They start at the lowest level out of all the starting classes, so more room to fit stats in, and their stats are all balanced. Yeah, it sucks to start out naked, but come on, fashion souls has to start somewhere, why don't you pull yourself up by your own bootstraps and make something of yourself in this new, competitive world of looking the best? Plus the club apparently kicks rear end.

As an aside, I find myself sort of hoping that one of the DLCs has us traveling to some of DS2's locations, since the base game has so much heavy DS1 stuff.

EDIT: Also that K***ht censor is beautiful, and I can't believe I didn't notice it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
So wait, if I'm getting this right, there are THREE FaP rings in this game? I'm including Havel's RIng when I say three, as I mainly used it for the equip load boost.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Flame Swathe is absolutely in the game and it looks just as good if not better than it did in DS2.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
We're all furtive pygmies by virtue of posting on this forum.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Literally everybody is going to doing SIK DRIFTS oval office with the Farron Greatsword and instead here I am with the Wolf Knight's Greatsword just doing the classic Artorias moves. It's sad when people forget the good oldies in place of the new hotness.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Is LASERTAG still going to be the goon password for buddying up?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Nearly done unpacking. Feels like I've waited my entire day for this.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I don't know if this has been posted before, because I haven't looked, been too busy playing the game, but the immortal Sword Master bug/glitch totally works. Summon Sword Master, let him die, quit out of the game, go back in, resummon, boom, immortal NPC. Makes Dancer a breeze, although the fight still takes a long time. Be aware, however, that this is a glitch, and will get fixed on the next patch.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
At level 42 I finally went back after cheesing the Dancer fight yesterday night with Sword Master at level 22 or something like that and wow, running through that area at that level is like Running Simulator 2016. Everything can basically two shot you, including the crossbow guys.

EDIT: Still made it to Dragonslayer Armor though, so the tried and true From Soft strategy of "just run through everything" still works, as it always did and always will.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Fister Roboto posted:

I need a quick hint on where to find a doll. Nothing too specific.

Cathedral. Deep.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Fister Roboto posted:

Wait where the gently caress is this.

A Keep. Past a mage.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I've decided that Herald is actually a bad start to the game and I should have gone Deprived, Knight, or Pyromacer as I was thinking of doing. That being said, I'm too far in to restart now (level 50 with Sunlight Straight Sword and Solaire's stuff, just took out Deacons and heading for Yhorm most likely now) so I've had to deal with it, but man, the start was way worse than it should have been.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Krinkle posted:

I helped people with that boss just past him and nobody killed it. They were huddling against the wall hiding from the death from above. I tried to make the death fight the thing but it didn't work and I died. I didn't kill the thing either. I don't think it is killable while the death is above. I do not know how to stop the death. I can only hide against the wall, from the thing and the death alike.

I'm slowly working my way through the thread's bajillion post backlogs, telling myself that it'll slow down eventually, today is the day I can get to the last post, promise, but I wanted to pause and say this is one of my favorite of the posts that have popped up since launch. Status report on my progress, got to Yhorm, didn't fight him yet because I want to fight Pontiff and see if I can save Greirat since apparently Seigward is a small part of that questline.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
So, at just a little over 45 hours I have finished my first run of Dark Souls 3 with my Dex/Faith Paladin character. When it's good, it's REALLY loving GOOD HOLY poo poo I LOVE THIS GAME. But when it's bad, it's loving abysmal. Fighting those two dogs down where you get the Aldritch covenant was literally the worst time I've ever had i any From Soft game or video game in general. I hated it, it was so unfair that it couldn't possibly have been playtested. Nobody could say that that was right. If killing them didn't net a super good and useful ring I would have just completely ignored them forever and said gently caress the Aldritch covenant.

Faith in my opinion, only shines in late mid to end game, because at that point you get a lot of survivability with your support and healing miracles and occasional good damage with your damage miracles. There is a definite lack of faith weapons in this game, and Blessed infusions aren't good enough to make up for it. The best faith weapons are all endgame, but I guess that's to be expected. In my opinion the best talisman is the Canvas Talisman you get from the Paladin's Ashes, because it's so fast and it's just plain good. The Saint's Talisman is probably better for pure power, but the description (and personal experience) implies that its Skill is not as good as it should be.

From the moment I picked up the Sunlight Straight Sword I swapped a Raw Astora Straight Sword out for good and I don't regret it one bit, Sunlight Straight Sword rocks. It literally saved me two attunement slots that would have gone to Sacred Oath that I could fill with either Denial or Heals. Then my endgame weapon was the Swordspear, and that thing KICKS rear end.

My next build will definitely be a pyromancer/mage, with my next character after that being either a strength build or quality build because I picked up a ton of cool looking weapons I want to try out.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Obligatum VII posted:

So those snake possessed hollow dudes are not supposed to be fair, right? Every time I've seen them, they've been avoidable in some way, I didn't get anything the one time I sniped one to death (except revenge), and the hitboxes are super wonky and I don't see how you could possibly kill them in melee at all given they never seem to pause attacking.

No, they're not. However, if you have anything with fire, including just plain firebombs, that wrecks them.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Dandywalken posted:

Why are the Abyss watchers fighting each other constantly? You walk in on the dude getting stabbed, then there's more stabbing afoot. Is that some sort of "WE ARE DAMNED TO DO THIS FOREVER" deal?

Some of the item descriptions, to me, imply that the Undead Legion's partaking of the wolf's blood was keeping them from hollowing. Then it ran out.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

GreyPowerVan posted:

any goons mind transferring an item from one of my chars to another? im tired of farming for these loving warden twinswords on my luck/dex char

I have one that I'll never use. Where do you want to meet and what password?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Dr. Carwash posted:

You can easily pull the dogs one at a time.

I know, because I did. it doesn't make them less bullshit because the space you have to deal with them to avoid aggroing the other is relatively tiny in comparison to how huge they are.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Magner posted:

What's a decent dex weapon you can have after the catacombs?

I've been running around with a +4 refined broadsword for a while and its done me alright, but I'm wondering if there's something more efficient that I'm missing.

The Lothric Knight Sword can be gotten from one of the sword wielding knights in Undead Settlement and it's fantastic because if you've played DS1 and it's the Balder Side Sword renamed.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

GreyPowerVan posted:

are you on PC? we can meet at the high wall first bonfire with the goon password of LASERTAG

edit: what's your name? i think this char is Rallick

Alright, I\ll put down my summon sign in a minute. Look for Sir McDonald.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

GreyPowerVan posted:

are you on PC? we can meet at the high wall first bonfire with the goon password of LASERTAG

edit: what's your name? i think this char is Rallick

Just put down my mound maker summon sign.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Also on PC. If you've beaten the boss I don't think we can summon each other. Do you have a red sign soapstone?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Yeah, just say an area. If you haven't beaten the catacombs yet how about the first bonfire there?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Gotcha, heading over now.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
My signs on the bridge when you're just walking in because it won't let me put down my sign right next to the bonfire. Mound Maker sign.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
lol I beat the entire game on this character, there's nothing left for him to do except the DLC when it comes out. I can wait.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Maybe someone else closer to your level range? I'm level 95, but I thought password matching downscales everything to match the host's level so it wouldn't matter?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Haha, the Avelyn is just as good as it was in the other game. Shame it's at the tail end of the game, this thing is hilarious.

I still can't quit piece together the significance of the Untended Graves area, and what it apparently has to do with Ludleth???

From what I've gathered, Iudex Gundyr was SUPPOSED to be the Champion of Ash, but YOU beat him, so he becomes a coiled sword sheath for a while until you come along in the future/present to take it. But then that means this area is the past, and you were never supposed to be the chosen one. I mean, time IS convoluted, but THAT convoluted? I can't parse together what the connection Ludleth has with a fire keeper though, beyond him being a former chosen one and obviously he had someone giving him level ups.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

The Shortest Path posted:

How do I get past double dragons? All of the paths I've tried have been dead ends. Is there a cleverly disguised switch/lever somewhere?

Check underneath the bridge. I believe it's the right side (your right) that leads to where you want to go, but I could be misremembering. Actually I think both sides get past the dragons, just where you end is is different.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
My take on the world map being smushed together is that it's a literal representation of the various lands drifting in and out of phase with one another. You can actually see some recognizable buildings in the mess, including the cathedral where you fight the demon tree.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Filthy Hans posted:

Greirat questions: has anyone figured out a way to keep him alive on his third scavenger hunt?

No. There is no way. Don't send him out after the second.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
https://imgur.com/a/olgvn

This is a really good link that someone in this thread put up, so I'm putting it here myself for ease of access for myself. It's really interesting. Some of the stuff is probably unused items that were left out of the final game, while some others may hint at future DLC content. What kind of surprises me is how the NPC faces actually kind of match up with their characters. Irina is blind, Cornyx is old, etc.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
There is literally a DS2 giant tree in the game, and it's in the hub area. I too thought that Yhorm was a DS2 Giant. Literally everybody did when they saw the trailers. He's not, that's fine.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
...yeah, you know, I made my second character as an all around magic wielder in mind...buuuut, after getting access to some of the higher ranking pyromancies and swinging an Ultra Greatsword around, I think I'm just going to stick with being a pyromancer, because it's loving radical. I love the fire life.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Insurrectionist posted:

As someone whose first run is Miracle only 'they're great late-game' is not very helpful. :qq: At this point all I'm getting for Miracles is some extra out-of-combat healing and free weapon buffs (although you don't get Lightning Blade until halfway through the game and I haven't noticed a single boss being weak to Dark). Not that I'm gonna claim to be worse off than the poor Sorcerers.

Take my advice, as someone who was running a Dex/Faith build...don't do a faith only build. You're going to be lacking for a long time, and in my opinion things don't start improving (damage wise, utility wise miracles are great) until the point where you can get Great Lightning Spear from the max rank Sunbro Altar.

EDIT: Another point in pyromancies' favor is that you can throw fire Destructo Discs and cast Kaioken. You can BE Goku.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 18, 2016

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Dan Didio posted:

Yeah, here are the two screenshots I have; the wierdest thing is that the video where Anri is there, did everything exactly the same as me, yet my ending didn't show her there.

ENDING SPOILERS: http://imgur.com/a/6M3Y2

There is a possible explanation, but it's also probably a glitch and has nothing to do with lore. The Sable Church of Londor, of which Yuria and Yoel are part of, has three founders and teachers, of which Yuria is one, they all serve Kaathe. There are three figures in those screenshots different from the rest. It could be that those are all three mentors.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The DLC is going to introduce a fifth ending where you and Hawkeye Gough pilot the Millennium Falcon through the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Dancer really does have a tremendous rear end. Is she wearing yoga pants under her armor.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Ice Fist posted:

How are FTH builds in this game?

Lacking until endgame, where they proceed to kick absolute tons of rear end. That's from a damage perspective, by the way. From an overall standpoint, taking into account healing and the utility miracles, it's a good build starting around midgame. Don't start as a Herald, start as either a Knight, Pyromancer, or hell, maybe even a Cleric. Herald isn't a good start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I don't have an answer to that because I think it varies on a weapon by weapon basis, but I will say from personal experience that a Sharp Uchigatana does mucho damage when you buff it with Lightning Blade as opposed to making it Lightning or Blessed infusion.