Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

skasion posted:

Yes. There’s a bit of a running theme with the multiplayer in these games where they overcorrect for mechanical problems in previous installments and wind up creating a whole bunch of new problems.

In DS2, during an invasion only the host could heal, while both the invader and phantoms had one shot. I still think that's a better solution, but wouldn't work with DS3's superfast estus chugging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Cardiovorax posted:

Anyone here know where to get a decent enemy randomizer for Dark Souls 3? I know one exists, because I've seen videos of people playing it, but I can't find out where to get it. Google is being unhelpful.

e: wait uh

e2: https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls3/mods/318 this one’s it

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

feelix posted:

The only complaint I have about DkS2 in that regard is having to exhaust Licia's dialogue to progress, and that's a very big complaint. If I didn't incidentally do that, it would have been a complete game-ender for me. Nowhere else in the series do you have to do that just to progress, the game doesn't telegraph that it's necessary, and no other game in the series has such a serious, potentially game-ending roadblock.
What on earth are you talking about

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

feelix posted:

She doesn't move to the rotunda unless you exhaust her dialogue in Heide. It's in the Dark Souls II thread OP:

Hm. Seems like a fair callout but I'm like 99% sure she moves to the rotunda once you go by boat to the Bastille. I'll check later today

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I cooped literal thousands (probably? the in-game counter stops at 999:59:59) of hours of Dark Souls 2 with my partner, due to us being temporarily divided by an ocean. It turned out to be a fun way of spending time together in a virtual space. When we got engaged, the ring I got him was based on the Name-Engraved Ring you have to use to coop
DS2 has its faults but it's the most chill game of all Souls

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Fister Roboto posted:

agape twinks

:haw:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Yuria is a reference, but to Mephistopheles

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i don't know if you can farm vertebra shackles from some other mob in the world (there's probably one with a .00001% drop rate)

The twirly curved sword skeletons in Catacombs of Carthus. They're actually way worse to farm than silver knights because there isn't a spot where they conveniently respawn in front of the bonfire like every other covenant item

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I watched Lobos play Daughters of Ash for 20 hours and it seemed really bad, from all souls being a single-use spell cast to there being basically no weapons at all and Andre's missing somewhere.

Also there's bonerust.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
What's your controller? It worked flawlessly with the X360 controller when I played it. Anyway the answer is: good god no, the KB+M control scheme is horrible and while there are mods to make it passable it still doesn't hold a candle to the controller.

Plus learning the controller scheme for Dark Souls will give you instant advantage on every soulslike game you'd be willing to play in the future!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Schneider Heim posted:

1. Who is Malcolm Reynolds in Dark Souls context?
2. What is powerstancing?
3. Is playing DS1 Remastered on the Switch (undocked) a good idea? I'm just waiting for it to go on sale.

What's your favorite cheese technique for certain types of enemies? I just wanna hear creative ways to kill tough foes.

1. Solaire, for sure
2. In DS2, if you have 1.5x the required weapon’s str and dex, you can hold Y/triangle to switch to a mode with unique moveset
3. It’s alright. the music can sound like butts though at moments

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Colonel Whitey posted:

I love the souls series but it's kinda immersion-breaking to have so much info delivered through item descriptions. It makes no sense that your character would have access to that information...am I to presume that you pick up a boss soul and it has a little descriptive inscription carved on the bottom of it? It's awkward but I guess I just learned to accept it as a weird quirk of the Soulsborne games.

Your character looks it up on the wiki.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

My partner lives in Texas right now which is five thousand miles away and our engagement rings were copies of the name-engraved rings from Dark Souls 2 so while we’re set apart by convoluted time and space we can still connect in lieu of a password system. :3:

dark souls rings are good is what i’m saying

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Sakurazuka posted:

Maybe but if so there's a lot less chests in general because 9/10 were mimics

There are exactly 0 chests in both DLC total and it's very funny to me

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
The only bad thing about DS2 is that the bosses’ lifebars work differently than other games

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

HaB posted:

I don’t mean an NPC says this to you, but rather the game itself. There are so many encounters that have no rhyme or reason to them other than to be hard. Like the 5 or whatever huge dual sickle guys in that one pit near the Windmill. There’s no lore reason for the set up, no environmental reason, it’s just difficult for the sake of being difficult. Most of 2 is that way. Even from the very beginning.

There’s that one room in the Forest where there’s a few corpses lying around and a few living dudes. Looks pretty standard for an encounter, so you make you plan and move in on the living guys but surprise!- the corpses aren’t corpses! Ha! Wasn’t that hard?!? Omg so hard, right? We heard you guys like hard! This is gonna be so hard!

That’s the vibe of the entirety of DS2.

You are really weird!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Cause it manipulates the essence of the universe directly, probably.

If I were to weave primal magicks to make the universe fit my desires, I'd simply make the boss I'm fighting disappear, rather than chucking a soul dart

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Find a friend that’ll let you kill him a bunch of times with summon signs and a password

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
The decent reason is that bring a lord of cinder loving sucks

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

And Tyler Too! posted:

The bad:
Hollowing: dying reduces your max HP as low as 50%

Demon's Souls is gonna be a loving disaster for you people.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
It will be the exact same game, and engaging in multiplayer will still cost you soul levels. Mark my words for I am right.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Greirat will always die after going out to Lothric’s castle, yes.
However the lothric version of his ashes makes the handmaid sell infinite exploding bolts so yo gotta weigh your options

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Sakurazuka posted:

Frostbite procs a big chunk of extra damage, similar to bleed, but also slows stamina regen (dunno if this matters for enemies) and increases damage taken for a bit.

It matters for the enemies in that in very limited circumstances you can proc frost on them and watch them kinda posture around at you until their stamina's back, because even the monstrous enemies fuel their attacks with stamina. It's kinda funny

It's not really something you'll notice unless you specifically fish for it though!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Max Wilco posted:

Something I want to ask about, regarding ending choices: I found the Eyes of the Firekeeper, and I know that's a requirement for one of the endings, but is it for the 'Good' ending? I know that's similar to how Bloodborne was, where you had to get three items to get the best (or most complete) ending. However, the item description for the Eyes of the Firekeepr made it sound like it giving it to the Firekeeper would affect her negatively.

It is the only ending with an easily observable net positive for the lore-described world in the entire soulsborne franchise.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Midir is hard because he's a piece of poo poo boss design

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Even on PC you’d only get banned for hacked items rather than duped ones. You’ll be fine

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Wolnir's Sword is p good

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Actually it’s either base or 23% penalty :smug:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

World War Mammories posted:

apologia is annoying, but the base game's final boss pulls things together thematically and is a big part of why I like it (though 1 is still the best)

plin plin plon

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

IronicDongz posted:

if you're really tryharding you go all the way to dlc 2 for prisoner's chain+3(and maybe the other boosted rings)

There is no Prisoner's Chain +3.

Or +2, or +1.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Haha! I’ve never seen my character do a little hip and Yeehah dance that’s so awesome. Havel took me three attempts to learn to bait out his jumping heavy attack and whack him a bunch immediately after. I just played it slow and baited those out and won.

https://twitter.com/blind_rasputin/status/1367672012416503813?s=21

From what you all said and some info in the wiki, the drakeblood greatsword doesn’t sound very great on paper. It scales D only with strength and dex, and does split physical, magic, and lightning damage. But since getting it I’ve upgraded it to +8 (I have a ton of supplies at this point) and it’s such a great weapon for me?? Is this bad? It does a ton of damage, fast (I don’t like the slowness of ultra greatswords so far), and is so light I can wear Gundyr’s armor... which is a huge defense upgrade for me. I feel like a loving tank. I think the lightning/magic damage also goes far in this archdragon peak right now because the enemies all suck.

I absolutely hate these pesky rock lizards.

Well, I’m gearing up for the nameless king fight. I have been avoiding all spoilers and fight info. But I’m aware it’s like the hardest fight in the game. I figure if I’ve come this far, and killed the champion gundyr.. I can do it too.

There are no bad weapons! Go nuts!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Aidan_702 posted:

This always seemed a bit of a plot hole to me - if linking the flame causes the curse to disappear (for I dunno a few thousand years before the flame starts to fade again) then how is he still alive at all?

He was in DS1 and people liked DS1, conversely he was not in DS2 and everyone hated that game

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Aidan_702 posted:

I'm on my second play through of DS2 and I'm really coming around to it. Is this how it starts??

Also, please everyone have some lo-fi Dark souls tunes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQB9ZDQ0qfU

Honestly personally for me it was hating DS2 on the first go around, and then playing DS3 and being disappointed in how similar to Bloodborne it was. So I went back to DS2 and realized that yeah that's p much an all-improved DS1....

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

IronicDongz posted:

yeah, and dark souls classifies the black knight glaive, immolation tinder and crucifix of the mad king as "halberds"

anyways spears/pikes/halberds/glaives/etc are all polearms. bow down to the supreme martial art of 'hurty thing on a long stick'

The crucifix of the mad king is amazing because it’s literally some loving dude on a stick. He’s not even dead

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Reality Protester posted:

the one where they torpedo through the air and fall apart on landing. might be only the headless skeletons that do this.

Having your character fall apart into pieces could be bad for the pacing

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Last Celebration posted:

Umm, so is there an actual explanation somewhere for why there’s two Firelink Shrines/Untended Graveyards in the game? Or is it just a Bloodborne homage because Bloodborne is cool and rad? I guess “the flow of time in Lordran is warped and distorted” is an explanation but that’s just a transparent multiplayer justification.

Don't worry about it!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Last Celebration posted:

Usually I don’t mind spoilers for Souls but I really wish I could go into Soul of Cinder blind cause it really is one of the best player sendoffs in gaming.

He’s on the cover of the game so idk how blind can one really be to him

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Last Celebration posted:

Not one that ugly and godforsaken, no

Turn on your monitor

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
open-soulsed if you would

Adbot