Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

it's that time again

it's thief time again, time to slice the heels of giant foes and get squashed a dozen times trying to get them to bleed out

edit: on that note, it's worth mentioning that there are shields out there with WEAPON SKILL as their ability. instead of a parry, you use the weapon skill in your right/left hand, depending on the hand the shield is in. there's a lot you can do with this, so don't feel inclined to always go with a parry shield!

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't get this. Does it activate the weapon skill of a weapon you have equipped in the same slot as the shield but aren't swapped too? Cause if it just activates the skill of the weapon in your other hand I don't get what its doing that you couldn't just do by hitting the skill button.

it activates the skill of the weapon you're currently holding in the other hand without two-handing, so you can continue to block or do a quickstep or shout at your enemy or whatever

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

a thread full of hollows... it's like I'm in Lothric already

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

everything aside, I have to ask the most important question of any Souls game, more than anything about PC builds or weapon choices or whatever

what's the message system like

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Gentwise posted:

Well one of the phrases is "Huh. It's a ..." so it's pretty cool in my book.

pretty cool in mine too! Huh. It's a skeleton. :spooky:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

scamtank posted:

The R1 sweep is pretty baller for being able to actually guard break the greatshield knights, as opposed to the fiddly-as-poo poo kick (why is it weird and hard in a different way in each game) which cannot

a giant wall of steel vs. your tiny foot

I mean come on now

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

everyone must have bought it for PS4 today because that patch is going real real slow :smith:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Knife run is proving to be pretty fun! A lot of things are more susceptible to bleed than imagined and surfing through the swamp makes Farron Keep a breeze. Can't wait to start getting better numbers (and a bleed infuse) so I can run the twin daggers properly

On the other hand, phase two of the Abyss Watchers is proving a lot harder than I thought it would

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Does the Pontiff bleed? Very important question before I go running at a guy wielding two greatswords with my hunting knife

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I like how FROM managed to both keep the weird two-handed greatsword animations from DS2 and improve on them. The Hollowslayer Greatsword's a good sword :unsmith:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

well, I guess since Final Fantasy IX got a release on Steam, I'll take up the Dark Sword and make a crappy Adelbert Steiner STR/VIT character

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

put that Demon's Souls relic down and fight Yhorm like the lord police that you are for whatever reason :colbert:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

forget the bandit knife, this is the year of the straight sword and Kirk was kind enough to lend me his sword and shield so I can keep on bleeding out everything I meet :c00l:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

the barbed straight sword is a good sword

I'm probably going to marry this sword by thrusting it through my own forehead

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So that Thorny Longfinger guy killed every last one of my ember hosts today with some vicious one-two combo swing. Did I really manage to get summoned by nothing but low Vit hosts or does he really do that much damage per hit?

he really doesn't want anyone getting their mitts on his thorny stuff!!

yes, he does hit like a truck at the level you first meet him at

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Wow, the area after the Pontiff is a complete invasion clusterfuck what the hell. Took two steps inside and got invaded by 4 people at once, 2 Blues and 2 reds, is that normal?

yes and gently caress you :smug:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Moldy Taxes posted:

Lore question:

it's practically a giant rock, so it makes sense for its soul to cough up a remnant of Havel the Rock

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

looking at that unused content ruined me

I mean seriously, you left out the Gold and Silver Tracers, FROM? :negative:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

shield bashing with the Spiked Shield is great when you can get the shield to block what's coming your way

can't stop the bleeding, nope, not even when I'm not swinging my sword

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I've been trying to beat Yhorm without the Storm Ruler and while his patterns are easy to pick up on, staying consistent is the key

Finding ways to dead angle his arms and head without using anything with "great" in its name is proving to be a bit trickier though

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

a large, expansive DLC comprised of improbable elevators and hallways too long for their own good

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Sif, but next-gen

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

one of the DLC zones is, in fact, a mimic

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I can't shake the idea that Gundyr was designed in response to every comment ever made about the Dragonrider

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

Dagger users don't exist.

we exist, you just never hear about us because why do 46 damage on two hits when you can just clobber someone with a plank for a sword

(Twinspears, on the other hand, are pretty scary with that rolling L1; it comes out fast enough to poke someone with both at the same time out of, well, anything, also really good at applying bleed since wow two weapons at once)

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'm having a good time with blood-infused twinspears, but I'll switch over to a sharp infusion with a coating of rouge once I finally get another dang sharp gem to drop

edit: it's not only possible, but it's even better than before https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n09xmhsvIuU

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 27, 2016

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Harrow posted:

He is, indeed, weak to fire. When I beat him, using Carthus Flame Arc and a fast sword helped a lot.

With the arrows, you really just have to sprint away from them. Everything else isn't too tough to dodge.

you can also be a huge jerk and lay a fire arrow into its face while its charging up its onslaught of 10,000 arrows

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

it's the Puzzling Stone Sword, but the stance heavy attack is the whip weapon art

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Xenolalia posted:

Fashion souls is loving great in DS3

the nice part about that overcoat is that it makes the silver knight chain mail look like a sweater

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

there is a pair of shorts in this game

there are also a lot of goofy magical swords to transpose

time to get my pointy metal hat and leap attack at everyone as STEINER

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

the real reason people don't like a drink in PVP is because it sounds like the blood vials from Bloodborne and not the fizz of honestly refreshing estus

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Anyone tried http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Brigand+Twindaggers these?

Apparently they get the highest bleed proc rate in the game if you blood infuse it.

yeah, I have them blood-infused and up to +8

they're extremely hard to use, though, but they do as advertised if and when you're able to hit the other person(s)

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

here's to hoping the DLC adds a ring that turns you into a skeleton

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Luceid posted:

you gently caress

while starting up my gimmick greatsword PVP character, I got a symbol of avarice out of the first mimic and a dark sword from the darkwraith who drops the red eye orb :hellyeah:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Tracula posted:

This. People are way too serious about beating bosses without phantoms.

I'm going to edge out someone over a consultancy job because I killed Yhorm without the Storm Ruler :yarr:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I ate Aldrich and then put his disgusting wormy skull on a throne

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

here's a tip for anyone that wants to PVP with daggers: don't, put them in storage and use claws instead because they have more range than all of the knives

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

with estocs the way they are and the Black Hand hat, sort of surprised no one's done an El Zorro yet

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Stokes posted:

Start as Knight. Equip Worker Hat. Congrats you are now Adelbert Steiner.

um excuse me but the hat being made of metal is key, as are the necessity of shorts :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

The executioners, winged and vestigial, seem to take a lot of reference from the original Executioner, Smough.

Maybe that's where he went off to: Captain of the Winged rear end in a top hat League