Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Man, that pearl color is really something else. Just gorgeous.

My dad keeps telling us we need keets. So, I guess in the spring we're gonna get some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Avshalom posted:

lmao ok just one more thing. guinea fowl hunt in formation, they line up horizontally and parade across the field eating everything in sight. it's the weirdest thing to see slowly approaching you and today they were kind enough to do it in the clear so i could get a good photo

it's going to be terrifying when they're all fully grown

I would appreciate a video of this

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
the keets' brooder-mates include one older plymouth rock hen chick with a broken foot, she's about twelve weeks old (so close to the size of a grown bantam chicken as adult plyms are huge) and docile as anything so the keets and younger chicks think she's their mother. they tuck themselves under her wings and snuggle up under her breast and she just accepts it. when she eats they all flock around and beg. it's super cute! the first time i saw her with her wing all out of place i thought she had an injury, but then she shifted position slightly and this tiny striped blue head popped out of her armpit to peer at me

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

you are denying us pictures
we gather round and beg like the baby birds you raise
KEET KEET KEET KEET KEET KEET KEET KEET

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
last night i fell asleep thinking about how "australorp" sounds like someone tripping over as they say "australia" and then i had a nightmare about the human race being hunted by giant chickens so thanks i guess

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

vaguely posted:

you are denying us pictures
we gather round and beg like the baby birds you raise
KEET KEET KEET KEET KEET KEET KEET KEET

KEET KEET KEET

TEEK TEEK TEEK

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

WrenP-Complete posted:

KEET KEET KEET

TEEK TEEK TEEK
it's hard to get photos of the snuggling because as soon as they see me they assume they're getting fed and start scooting around at dangerous speeds :(

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

send vanya in to take the pic, they'll assume he is just a little bird like them

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
gah i lost another keet. i am now down to three.

warning to anyone contemplating guinea fowl, they're unreasonably cute and the adults are super strong but the keets are suicidal cotton balls and they die if you stare at them too hard. this has been a particularly frail brood because of the wildly fluctuating incubator temperature which i think causes birth defects - hopefully the next lot will be more robust

quail are even worse, they're basically born dead and have to be kept animate through dark magic

Avshalom fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 26, 2016

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Poor keet :(

But dark magic does explain the taste of quail.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
the remaining trio are doing well :3: so is their stripy surrogate mum, who's been in treatment for a foot infection that seems to have cleared up now. yesterday i caught her snuggled up in the brooder with a keet under each wing and one perched on her back, it was ludicrous. it was a busy weekend but hopefully i'll get a photo op this afternoon, they're about due for some lawn time

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
the keets had their first real adventure today! first i put them on the grass but they got scared and keeted at me

until i put them back on the verandah, where they chilled out with their siblings (a silver grey dorking and a maran plymouth cross of the same age)

and their surrogate mother bumblebee

and i can't believe this but i actually got the snuggling on camera

it's hard to handle sometimes

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Avshalom posted:

the keets had their first real adventure today! first i put them on the grass but they got scared and keeted at me

until i put them back on the verandah, where they chilled out with their siblings (a silver grey dorking and a maran plymouth cross of the same age)

and their surrogate mother bumblebee

Extremely keets. Good. Good!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Avshalom posted:

oh my god :kimchi:

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

keetkeetkeet mafuckahhhh

Too cute I love this thread. Do you have any names in mind?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
the keets in this batch have all been sold along with their chick friends (my breeding hen is still laying like a machine and i don't want to get too overrun with adult guineas) and the buyer has told me that they're in a box with some extremely tiny fluffy pekin bantam cross chicks and are having a terrific time. so, no names yet - i usually don't name birds until they're fully grown anyway because when i name them i get attached and the death toll for babies is pretty high, especially keets.

my breeding pair are named paula keeting (the lavender one) and ziggy stardust (the pearl). their inexplicable head phalluses cheer me up whenever i look at them. seriously what are those things even for

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I need some help and advice. One of our guineas seems to be getting a bit more scruffy and weathered in the feathers, very gradually, over time. I'll post an image to try to clarify.

It's the one back and to the right, its face obscured by the hoe. It's behavior isn't too weird but it seems to be getting progressively... disheveled and scruffy for lack of a better term. None of the other birds are molting. It's been over the course of a week or two.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i've had chickens moult by themselves, the whole flock doesn't usually do it at once, so hopefully that's what it is. what's its behaviour like? is it staying or nesting away from the group or lying down a lot? if it's not then the problem is likely just dermatological, which if it's not a moult could be a parasite. poultry parasites are easy to see, just catch it and check for things crawling on its skin or white clusters of eggs around the bases of its feathers. apart from that i'm not sure what it could be but i hope it clears up! make sure it has plenty of dry dust to bathe in, maybe dig up a bit of earth for it if they haven't clearly marked out a dust-bathing bowl anywhere

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Look what I found!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
that snake is doomed, nobody survives the guinea fowl execution circle

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i have three week-old pearl keets at the moment! i'm trying to hand-tame them, which is something i haven't really been able to achieve with any guinea fowl yet - quails and chickens are pretty easy to hand-tame if you start young but guineas seem to just be wilder. currently i have four adult roosters and a hen (i give half-grown guineas away as presents a lot and am obviously not very good at sexing them) so i'm hoping i get at least two girls out of this trio. today they went on a big adventure to the orchard and met the adults, some of whom were indifferent to them and some of whom tried to kill them (i stayed close by for this reason)

marianne the wheaten maran already has some adolescent chicks so she didn't want to adopt the keets but nor did she attack them so that was good

ziggy stardust is now inexplicably in a permanent bonded relationship with a black australorp hen named eunice, while paula keeting, previously his mate, now hangs out with the three younger roosters, none of whom are getting any action because she's laying unfertilised eggs at the moment

that's the whole adult flock and the three keets, who showed a definite preference for following the adult guineas around instead of the chickens even though they came out of an incubator and have never seen an adult guinea before. i guess that means they recognise their own species instinctively, which is cool! i was hoping paula (the only lavender one) would adopt them, but hens that aren't currently sitting on eggs adopting random chicks is super rare even for chickens and guinea fowl are far less maternal than chickens so i didn't have high hopes. eventually she started getting agitated at them so i took them away. it's not the right time to introduce small children into the strange and complex sociopolitical world of my fowl flock

~queepy chee~

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

adventurous youth! every time i take them for a walk, two return peacefully to the brooder box and the other flees into the grassland at high speed. luckily they gravitate to the adult guineas so they're easy to track down - they're not as fast as the grown ups yet so i just have to get between them and the main flock and they run straight into my hands. it's good for my self esteem to be able to outwit the keets.

another 25 eggs are in the incubator. i've been having serious incubator problems (partially because our region is prone to 12-hour blackouts) so that doesn't necessarily mean there'll be 25 keets, but fingers crossed

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Keets!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I can't get over how cute the keets are (at first)

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i've been hand-feeding these ones mealworms so they're pretty tame and when i go into their room they jump up and down and go preeee at me :unsmith:

we're still hoping eunice will hatch some guinea-chicken hybrids, which is very rare but does happen

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Avshalom posted:

guinea-chicken hybrids

haha these things look amazing

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

That's almost what I'd expect a peacock/vulture hybrid to look like

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
poultry are the most ridiculous thing in the world and guinea fowl are the most ridiculous poultry

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

majestic

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

true dignity

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Church spire? No, a poultry

E: need one of those "sloth or croissant?" memes but it's "guinea fowl or majestic architecture"

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

the three keets have graduated to the big hen house! they're enjoying their newfound freedom, hanging around the older chickens and guineas with no problems, dust-bathing and sun-baking for the first time in their life, and probably going to die to a hawk attack soon but that is unfortunately just the reality of free-range poultry out here. i got a bit emotional when i put them out for their first night in the coop, it was like sending a small child off to school for the first time. luckily i can visit them whenever i want and because i fed them mealworms they still come scuttling when they hear the call (which is "chii chiiii!")

a glimpse of the elusive wind keet

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

do the keet dance!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
*keeting intensifies*

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Such bird feet.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Is there a way you could record their prreeeee sound and post it? I feel it is very important that we hear it

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

sadly we lost one keet to a hawk, but the other two are doing great. one is a male and one is a female - the two sexes have different calls (males go nyank, females go wank-WANK wank-WANK, it's very offensive) and the children call from a very early age, albeit in squeaky baby voices. during the day they hang around with the adult guineas and at night they've been adopted by my sussex cross hen, the broodiest creature known to mankind, who lets them snuggle up under her with her own chicks. they still come when they're called and have reached their funniest stage of development where they're shaped like the adults but still have their stripy juvenile plumage

one of my other hens is sitting on ~20 guinea eggs and barring an unexpected reptile attack they're due to hatch on wednesday. i haven't had a chicken raise keets from hatching yet (we got close but a goanna stole the eggs like two days before they were due :argh:) and she's a good mum so that's going to be fun to watch!

here are some alt-keets. these species aren't available in australia although people in africa and america who keep them say they're just like domesticated guineas in their upkeep and personality. i live in hope that one day they will come to our fair shores

the helmeted guinea fowl is the direct ancestor of the domestic guinea. keets in the wild have a spectacularly low survival rate so these parents are to be commended!:

the crested guinea fowl looks like my aunt:

and the vulturine guinea fowl is the greatest creature known to man:

keets

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i will try to record some guinea fowl noises, i used to have a digital camera that was great for sound recording but my mother tried to take a close-up film of simmering bolognese sauce and dropped it in and it hasn't been quite right ever since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Avshalom posted:

i will try to record some guinea fowl noises, i used to have a digital camera that was great for sound recording but my mother tried to take a close-up film of simmering bolognese sauce and dropped it in and it hasn't been quite right ever since

thank you!

• Locked thread