Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sighence posted:

Oh man this was my second game ever and I remember really liking it... when I was 6 or 7.

Please show off the multiplayer bots and how Chell, somehow a Hazard Team member, is the worst bot by a mile.

I still loved this game as a kid despite picking it up when I was around 12. A FPS where you could play as a woman without sexualizing her or making a GIRL POWA deal about it was revolutionary to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Montegoraon posted:

Crying shame about the sequel, though. No Alexandria, and that new love interest was just beyond description in awfulness. Really, everything about the sequel felt worse to me.

I liked some of the level designs, and most of the secret hunting. But yeah, the story and characters were pretty bad, and most of the guns felt bland or just plain not fun to use. Best of the bunch for me in the fun category was probably the lightning gun.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Montegoraon posted:

Saving that guy with the forcefield is definitely possible. I never found the timing on it difficult either. Weird.

The force field is right in front of the console. You have to click it once he's past the console but before the fire gets there.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

We know Garrett's story, but Tim was a hardcore Trekkie who got the chance to live his dream and play a Vulcan--and what he got was Tuvok. He had arguments with the writing staff nearly every episode trying to keep Tuvok's character consistent and Vulcan, and he did a remarkable job getting writers who couldn't have consistently portrayed a cardboard box as a cardboard box to at least keep Tuvok kinda-sorta consistent from episode to episode.

Worth noting, this is also the story of Jolene Blaylock who played T'Pol in Enterprise, except she had far less success keeping her character vaguely on track. According to her, the writers only told her after she signed the contract that T'Pol's primary character trait was to be sexy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

nine-gear crow posted:

I used to think that Blaylock was one of the weaker actors on Enterprise, but if that's the sole reason they hired here, then yeah, I wouldn't bring my A Game to the show as an actor either. Goddamn. Double goddamn if they'd also gone through with their original plan and had T'Pol actually be T'Pau. How much of a hack do you have to be to potentially reduce one of the most fascinating lore characters from the original series to "Stand behind Scott Bakula and point your tits at the camera".

According to her, when things finally started coming together in the final season between the writers and actors, it was Blaylock's idea for T'Pol to be revealed in the next season to be, unknown to her, half-Romulan. She was a huge Star Trek geek and thought that was the only possible explanation for why T'Pol had been written to be such a lovely Vulcan.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Personally, I've always been partial to keeping the Borg alien rather than evil. A way of life directly opposed to our values, but one where you can nevertheless see the appeal.

Shatner's books about the Borg might be awful in places, but his ghostwriters have a very evocative look at the Borg and their origins. In those books, the original Borg race, Species 1, originated in an ancient star system orbiting a world in the last stages of devolving into a white dwarf. Faced with such a hostile, inhospitable homeworld, Species 1 developed a culture that prioritized the needs of the community and in time the species above any individual, and disregarded what we'd call ideas of morality: anything that benefited the community was authorized and embraced.

When Species 1 discovered cybernetic augmentation, they applied this same mentality and in time the Borg were born. When Species 1 discovered warp travel, they began assimilating other species into the Collective in the genuine belief that they were uplifting the backwards, the broken, and the lonely into a higher, better state of existence. Neither flesh nor machine but the strengths of both and weaknesses of neither, united as all members of the Collective are in one great consciousness that transcends mere physical limitations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mateo360 posted:

I pretty sure he lives no matter what you do, I never not got that cut scene with him.

Nope, I've had playthroughs where he dies.

• Locked thread