Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The SOTS 2 patch notes were High Art though.

quote:

Divide by zero counter: 7

Critical fixes:
- The Continue Game button is now working.
+ Patched a ship repair divide-by-zero crash.
- Fixed a crash when you killed the system killer.
- Fixed circumstances under which canceling a mission might crash game.
- Fixed drones firing while docked on carrier parent.
- Fleets without admirals no longer display "Defacto" as their admiral.
- Added fix to ensure that randoms and grand menaces don't spawn if all of them were disabled.
- Fixed an end-of-combat crash caused by inserting the same combat results into the game twice.
- Disabled purple placeholder effect appearing on all turret muzzles when firing. Existing muzzle effects still display as they did before the last update.
+ Treaty and Declare War options are now available in the diplomacy screen.
+ Fixed a crash the could occur when issuing orders to a ship with no crew.
+ It is no longer possible to scrap enemy ships.
- Fixed occasional crash due to Main Menu combat
- Fixed crash that could occur when destroying weapons in combat.
- Fixed crash caused by opening battle manager at a system where platforms are available for placement.
- Fixed a bug where dissolving a fleet would lead to empty fleets.
- Fixed known issues where boarding pods and assault shuttles were not able to connect to ships
+ Fixed a crash that could be caused by not having enough admirals for starting fleets.
+ Fixed planetary missiles not firing.
+ Fixed numerous known issues with fleet pathing.
+ Fixed known issues where colony information would not disappear for a player, preventing re-colonization and causing a crash in some cases.
+ Enemy fleets no longer appear in the fleet manager.
+ Fixed an issue where ships could become stuck in a permanently spinning state.
+ Fixed the known issues where ships would not respond to controls.
+ Fixed a bug that was causing combat to be initiated when no ships were present.
+ Torpedoes now apply damage to planets.
+ Fixed a crash that could occur when clicking the research cube on
the star map.
+ Fixed a hang when more then 1 combat took place
+ Fixed biome colonizers from hurting biosphere when terraforming.
- Fixed bug where fleets were getting forced to center of the sun.
- Fixed bug where fleets could be placed inside planets.
+ Fixed the rare crash that could occur when previewing maps when creating a game.
+ Fixed the issue that was causing Hiver gates not to function until
the game was reloaded.
- A certain Suul'ka will now no longer instantly kill ships with its tentacle attacks.
- Fixed stations spawning inside planets

Other fixes and changes:
- Turret fixes made to Human and Hiver Leviathans causing them to shoot through selves.
- Fixed an issue where the specters could intermittently stop moving during combat.
+ The System Killer will no longer run into stations.
+ Fixed build order removal.
+ Fixed an issue where AI ships could fly into planets when performing fly-by maneuvers.
+ Fixed a number of turret errors (placed inside ship, placed backwards, etc.)
+ Fixed known issues where Drone carriers were not attaching drones.
+ Fixed known issue where meteors could not be destroyed.
+ Fixed bug where tooltips would be one line no matter how long they where.
+ Fixed a bug where a different station would be upgraded than the one selected.
+ Fixed known issues where boarding actions were not taking over ships.
+ Rapidly clicking buttons will no longer bypass feasibility studies.
+ Turrets no longer fire missiles after the crew are killed.
+ Fixed the issue where requesting surrender of an empire could lock
out camera control.
+ Prevented Zuul ships from boring temporary node lines back from a
deep space encounter.
+ Fixed the issue where Radiant Bore ships could not create node lines.
+ Fixed an issue where infrastructure was resetting to zero each time
a planet was recolonized.
+ Fixed a crash caused by AI players attempting to ally with indy players.
+ Gate Lab upgrade requirements can now be met.
+ Zuul trade now unlocks correctly.
+ Fixed issues where missiles targeting spectres could damage a colony instead.
+ Fixed the missing news event notifying players of war declarations against them.
+ It is no longer possible to see enemy ship tool tips.
+ Fixed an issue where Leviathans were taking armor damage on the wrong side in combat.
+ Fixed a bug that was assigning unwanted modules to stations and ships.
+ Retreating ships no longer get pulled back into combat at the same location.
+ Strategic turn timer is now displayed in games that use it.
+ Fixed an issue where players were spawning too close to the star during random encounters.
+ Independent colonies no longer form on barren planetoids nor gas giants.
+ Fixed an issue that was allowing players to abandon enemy colonies.
+ Fixed an issue that was causing the AI to continually redesign thee same ship role turn after turn.
+ Restored sound.
+ Fixed unending rebellions.
+ Suul'ka now enter combat again.
+ AI no longer retires ships constantly.
+ AI now redesigns for missing ships, such as gates and bores.
+ Enemy ship construction ETA is no longer visible in system icons.
+ Targets of node cannons no longer leave empty fleets behind.
+ Colonization fleets no longer teleport on support runs.
+ Fixed issue where the star map UI was not reactivating on new turns
(AKA Black Buttons of Doom).
+ Boarded ships no longer fire at unusually high rates.
+ Fixed an issue that could cause planets to share the same orbit.
+ Can no longer retrofit ships in a system without a colony.
+ Fixed an issue that could cause the strategic AI to redesign
constructors and freighters each turn.
+ Fixed overharvesting beyond available resources.
+ The grovernment graph marker no longer moves beyond the graph bounds.
+ Stations no longer become constructed when construction fleets are absent.
+ Asteroid monitors no longer disappear from systems when research is complete.
+ Fixed a corner case that could result in ships rolling continually in combat.
+ Fixed an issue where shield generators were firing torpedoes.
+ Fixed an issue that was causing ships in combat to be equipped with
random modules where none belong.
+ Fixed cases where attached boarding pods were super-sized.
+ Fixed an issue that could cause stations under construction to appear inside planets.
+ Fixed an audio problem that was leading to framerate loss over time.
+ Fixed an issue where planets were firing missiles when they shouldn't.
- Fixed stations spawning in center of planet during rebellion.
- Fixed fleet interception teleport bug. (OP Note: The intercepting fleets teleported to deep space. Like out-of-the-galaxy deep space.)
- Fixed beam vs planet lengths.
- Fixed Hivers using up gate points while committing missions to their home systems.
- AI now repair fleets at systems.
- Fix to prevent stations from being spawned in the center of a planet.
- Fixed beams not rendering when origin is not on the screen.
- Fixed bug that allowed meteors to capture admirals.
- Fixed NPG moving in autoresolve combats
- Fixed bug causing loa to secretly pay corruption expenses
- Fixed Loa/Zuul AI colonizing non-terrestrial planets
- Fixed subverted drones attacking friendly ships after docking
- Fixed not getting research project for super novas
- Fixed Loa AI not expanding
- Display turret arcs when mouse hovers over a weapon
- Fixed CTD on profile saving caused by Anti-Virus programs (= You can now play SotS2 with your antivirus on!)
- Fixed case where "Random System" used as system name
- Fixed case where AI would prefer initial ship designs
- Fixed AI humans not using node lines
- Fix Loa gate spawning in center of sun
- Fix plagues not killing civilians
- Improve AI to prevent them from going into debt
- AI now selects the best fleet for combat, as opposed to just picking the fleet with the most health

Additions and Changes
+ Tar Baby COL added.
+ Carriers can now carry other carriers.
+ Multiple missions can be issued from a single screen for Survey, Relocate, Colonize, Support, Patrol,
Interdict, Invade and Strike.
+ Construction, Upgrade and Patrol missions now have an optional rebase on completion.
- Can now deploy fleets on missions that are returning home or patrolling [It took 1,5 years for this one.]
- Can now order planets in planet manager
- Mousing over weapon group in design test now shows weapon coverage
- Help prevent AI from causing their own economic collapse

Known Issues:
- Drones cannot be designed.
- Scrapping ships does not yet yield bonuses.
- System Killer auto resolve is not producing results.
- Some star systems have anomalous moon orbits.

The long archived games thread about it is here and contains many, many more gems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's pretty funny how half the game appears to be AI wrangling.

How fast is the fleet reserve teleport to position? Is it a turn to de-mothball things or does it take more time?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That sounds like an excellent way to cut down on micromanaging ferrying troops and ships to the front. And also like something that is extremely easy to abuse.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Actually it sounds like an excellent practical joke to play on your own troops.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It was really good for its day. Its improved and updated successor is probably SotS 1, it does away wit the tedious planet and population micromanagement and gives you a pretty deep and broad combat system and a research tree that is perfectly capable of loving you over until you cry. It also gives you a trading system that is kinda painful and a few other decisions that could have been revised.

Also Psychic and Perfect Space Dolphins.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It actually had a very useful system to warn you when it needed looking at, and fixing it was as simple as ordering a bunch of new boats, you just had to learn to use the shortcuts on your own because the tutorials were literal youtube videos shoved into the last patch.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Space dolphins get to have the entire setting revolve around them.

(I'm pretty much a space crows and space humans fan. Space crows because they hands down completely own and have absolutely great design, space humans because I want to kill more dolphins with my space monkeys.)

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I wonder how those dinosaur spies like the clearly-lethal-to-organics standard atmosphere, honestly spying in space games never makes much sense because even if they corrupt locals they have no place to go to in case the heat starts to rise unless it's the same species on both ends.

Let's take the rock idea but miss a crucial element and make them rocks generated by organics. Nacre, Pearl, Ammolite. Lignite?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The devs discovered a miniaturized version of planned obsolescence allowing for twice the outdating in half the amount of time.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I look forward to seeing non rock troops in action. You probably do as well.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

But that wouldn't make the previously used FTL systems stop working now would it?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

They could have made the game less punishingly slow in addition to changing the movement mechanics.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I hope they appear as a lategame threat, a bit like a grand menace from SotS.

So they can get their poo poo kicked in.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

sheep-dodger posted:

Considering the experience of capturing them, please name either the Kaff or Deanton System Verdune. (It's actually a sand pun, but what is sand if not billions of tiny rocks?)

That one is pretty good, I vote for it.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Habitually Red has redundant components, a very different thing from superfluous components since we'll need anything we can keep here.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Go for 1, our democracy is the only moral democracy.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Might as well get it done now.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

This loving game.

They love menus, they couldn't add a fleet selection menu?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The Dila Empire has been dying for how many galactic cycles now? How long is a giant space lizard supposed to live, how many generation have lived completely committed to a fight that was already lost?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I like the little stories as well, they add a pinch of salt in the bad design decisions the game has. It's really like it was Sword of the Stars II before its time.

Maybe muffle the Raas genocide a little, I'm sure it won't really be discussed in history books after the war.

The mechanics descriptions are always interesting though.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Libluini posted:

I know what I know, boy... but I'm not telling it!

Fake edit:

But again, I really don't know! I guess we will see soon!

That's a piece of weird arcane knowledge I can tolerate in a 4X because once it happens you'll remember it next time and it is meant to surprise you.

It's not like it's a surprise mechanic that shouldn't actually be a surprise to a ruler.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That has been a very nice bunch of turns there, I hope the next few battles go as well as that.

Also there's nothing preventing rocks and robots from having something analogous to genes and I guess the Antarans liked to store data on their dear pets.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It is the ultimate game, the game to end all games.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

We'll have to give you something else to fiddle with. I'll vote Sword of the Stars ][ and then Aurora (which is a far superior game with a far better UI).

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

Please don't suggest people play Sword of the Stars 2. Its been LPed enough.

Just twice. And perhaps MOO3 will be a primer on the SOTS2 UI and automation. I'm being unfair to MOO3. (My favorite is the goop modules, it's armour repair that can be automated, the only option being at 50% armor damage, a condition that generally happens about 20 minutes after the ship blows up.)

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

Like I said. Enough.

I actually tried to see if they had improved it since then and during my first battle it spawned me inside the sun.

So yeah, you were right.

Combat still looks loving gorgeous though.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I get the feeling you're going to turbo-hate the spying system even more very soon.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Libluini posted:

By the way, and I'm only posting this musing to get faster to the next page, I've started to collect some other odd old strategy games like Imperium. Together with some other odd space 4x I already own, and a couple surprises more, you don't have to fear me giving up LPing for good after we're done with Master of Orion III. I have such sights to show you

Signature genre: horror 4X.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'd prefer if they weren't an independent species since I prefer my SF with relatively rare sapient life occurrences unless we go in straight up camp space opera.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The best part of Aurora 4X is when you have to change some system wide decimal separator setting if you aren't a merkin.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Thotimx posted:

I am endlessly fascinated by your perspective on games. I would never have conceived of someone who likes MOO3 saying this. I like the fact that you have an eye for - whatever it is you have an eye for, and are staying focused on it. That is to be commended.

I can imagine why one would think so.

MOO3 has some level of automation that you can double check on every now and then, Aurora doesn't allow that, you will micromanage your empire of 100 systems.

Also, resource exhaustion is a real thing in Aurora and, goodness, it's not joking around when it happens, I downright cheat and reset resources on my worlds when it happens because shipping away my population or shipping in new resources to maintain everything is just too loving annoying.

I wish that mass drivers could use jump points and that there was an automated resource allocation system.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Dunkle them, imo.

Thotimx posted:

Like I said, everyone has their own preferences - but as for me, this basically misses the point of Aurora. Dealing with these kinds of issues, and being forced to plan for them ahead of time, with the multiple types of supporting infrastructure such as fuel supply, shipyard development, etc. is a big part of the enjoyment. I like the fact that Aurora will do whatever you tell it to, no matter how stupid it is, and then you have to deal with the consequences.

That's understandable, and I get the Dwarf Fortress attraction of it, it's just that, like resource exhaustion becomes a problem after a while in DF, it becomes a problem in Aurora. I had planned some really cool solutions to it, like abandoning blue sky living as a whole and putting all my population in worldships and just taking my time eating the entire galaxy, but the game makes things a little complex for that.

at least when I tried, maybe it's better now.

(It does have a number of really good functions, though, I particularly appreciate the fact that diplomacy is only worth a drat if both parties are willing to play by the rules, because you can break them, and the ability to set purely administrative colonies. Just deciding that this forlorn rock belongs to us now, and sending cargos away at it with minimal effort is a powerful time saver, and that it doesn't ask for some mana, like in a paradox game, feels drat good.)

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

All this only serves to reinforce my perception that spies in 4X games are a painful and terrible design element that is best removed.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Remind, does the game have an option to remove spies entirely out of the gameplay? I'm betting no, given the somewhat grog-lite nature of the game.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

What a turn-around!

Of course the problem is that I have trouble seizing the time scale, so I don't know if those are genuinely serious setbacks or just a third of a turn of factory time lost on that front. Is travel duration still as ridiculous as in the early game?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Include some Aurora 4X screenshots to check if we are paying attention.

Also I guess it's time for you to start using those almost engineless designs to save on industrial output and taskforce hull space budget.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Well, the C# version isn't out yet, so it still doesn't, but you can change the decimal separator in windows if your version uses something else and play it on your machine anyway.

Yeah, it's sort of worrying when you do that to get space grog fix.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Ah, the end draws near, the meteor is close, I can feel it.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'm sorry, It's hard to say goodbye to a beloved pet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Petting cats helps with spy rolls, it's a well known fact.

Although the game is mostly reminding me that a 4X game needs to have an exceptional premise to make having a spy system in it a good decision instead of a defect.