Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Remember that the Ikthul can't eat either of the races the OP picked

sillycoids neighbouring Saurians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

For other similar trainwrecks during/in development, see:

Sword of the Stars 2.

Star Citizen.

Oh, and the third X is eXploit (the resources you eXpanded into in step 2)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I am still tempted to attempt a game with maybe only the official patch once the LP really gets rolling.

Because I do love me some bad bad 4X games and hell, I finished SOTS2 - how much worse can this be.
(These are what we refer to as famous last words).

though, in my defense I don't think I actually own a copy, so there's that.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

oh man. I forgot about the race creation customisations.

tempted to do the Libertarian Utopia project. but ugh, $14 for this game on GoG ugh.

Should wait till the LP is a bit further along before showing the game off in its broken 'glory'

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

10 turns in and you can finally start playing the game instead of covering for the AI's fuckups.

As much.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

So uh. This happened:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

please don't buy SOTS2. Your money doesn't deserve that.

Speaking of comedy drug cult trainwreck. I have a willpower of 3 so it is going to happen at some point (part of my delay is making sure that most major mechanics have at least come up.)

So what, besides drug cult and anarchy, do people want to see in Libertarian drug cult? (I won't play Ikthul either as diplomacy needs to be part of a Libertarian paradise/hellscape)

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 18, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

So, looking through. to make an Anarcho-drug cult the only option basically is humans.

or maybe Evons, I haven't looked at them. All the other good capitalist options could not take anarchy or drug cult. :(

Also pondering RP choices when you don't understand the words on the screen is hard work!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

quote:

and if you stacked too many they would overflow and enemy ships would disappear when they got close.

Masters of Orion -1: A treatise on Stack Overflows

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Trusting robot hitler or the AI seems like a trap by any measure.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

If only fighters weren't part of the carrier design.

Then making a bunch of lovely carrier hulls you'll put real fighters on as they appear would be actually useful.

Other things I have learnt trying to throw together a libertarian hoooo! playthrough

Not being able to read diplomessages makes things very difficult!

Are they saying "Hi, we like you" or "Your race is made from poop!"

Will throw together a LIBERTARIAN PARADISE update later maybe.

I feel the extra German-based opacity is authentic to the game experience somehow though.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 29, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

turns out a fresh colony is super vulnerable. Who knew!

While I get the final stages of it organised (and maybe play some of MOO3 in english so I can remember how diplomacy works.
And the Senate.
And figure out why 2 of the 6 senate races vanished. on turn 4 in my test game.

Also for our libertarian utopia:
Humans or Blue Spacehumans(Evon)
Since basically no-one else can go for Anarchy + The Cult of Weed
Monotheism (Worshiping the great Ayn Rand) or Atheism (there is no god, only money)

and Libluini once I figure out the basics are youi okay with me slightly hijacking your thread to do a mini-LP here?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Evons because libertarians agree that modern medicine is a scam and so make sure to always keep a healthy supply of Colloidal Silver nearby.

Atheism because as all True Economists know, the Invisible Hand of the Free Market is a force of nature, rather than a supernatural deity.

And thanks for doing this, I look forward to seeing the Space Libertarians in action! If you ever manage to produce some kind of big flagship-type vessel please call it the Sword of Truth.

Reasonable answers!

I was going to start in the senate for free starting contacts. but leaving it off DOES mean one less thing to translate

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Glazius posted:

Were the Raas trying to stall us with spy manipulation rather than reinforcing their fleet? Or are we potentially getting spy-hammered by someone else entirely?

Yes

Also played vanilla far too long last night.
I am so bad at this game (though after first reinstall it was still in german, so I may have had some elements making things harder/more balanced on myself)

Also man, wait till I show you how garbage spying is! oh man. I have OPINIONS.

Edit: Okay. took first pass. Starved. HILLARITY ENSUED. things were learnt.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 11:07 on May 4, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Degrogging is something most 4X games desperately need.
At least the UI

The Market will Fix It - Evon playthrough #1

If you are looking for competent playthroughs, stick with the OP's. I am not quite so good at this as he is.
There will be mistakes. Big, hillarious mistakes.
Laziness meaning I don't translate every notification or planetary anomaly.

That said! Adventure awaits!

Character creation highlights - The one screen not previously shown! obviously the market demands Konsumguter!
Best guess, it's 10% efficiency to entertainment DEAs. Or something.Whatever that means.
I also considered Chemical Industries to support the Drug Cult. And ended up trimming mining and agriculture back to normal with no bonuses. Also took Lazy, individualistic, pacifist and perverted. The market will take whatever people can afford!

The start of every game!

Turn 1 actoins include taking a troop transport off the build queue, and switching to Corporate government in the representative tree.
At least I assume that's what it is. That's what is there in vanilla and I couldn't find a translate last time I looked.

Thanks AI. My capital REALLY needs two sectors of government.

I also went for turn 1 spies. But quickly revised my policy after violating the holy positive cash balance. WHOOPS.

Planetary anomalies. Rare useful plants in region 1. So yay agriculture. On the flatlands. And Huge plants in region 2.
But despite the plantlife, the world is dead. WELP.

First system we hit, all red planets. I'll just throw an outpost down.

This game and government. The capital is already in system drat it!

hey look. a changling to make our spies better for only 4% of our takings. Data wants to be free!

Then the scientist bug shows up 5 turns later.

Such leadership.And he makes us better at diplomacy. (I am going to feel like such a goose when these get translated)

Our capital suffers maybe a little mineral shortage. eh. These things happen. The market will provide

29 turns in and we meet our first aliens!

This is our space. Mirror and Alsafi are the only servicable systems with green and yellow worlds. everywhere else is red.

Our only jump lane leads straight to the human homeworld...

Mirror 4 you have perfect climate! Why have you got no food. production!

We've not opened channels with the humans.

Further exploration locates the Psilons

People get a little bit hungry.
And still no minerals.

Hey look! we get contact with the humans finally. Guess what I'm doing! We must free their data!

It's super effective!

Hydroponic farms! Maybe we'll survive our food problems. Yes. We missed out on Hydroponic farms because I turned down discovery
The third message - that I didn't translate at the time, is that my colony died because it had no food.

Aaaand we lose contact with humanity since my colony died of dysentry.

Suddenly. Everywhere is dying and awful. Being cut off from teh galaxy and starving, I decide to end my first adventures into space.

Note for future: Turn off skype notifications.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Your market must not have been free enough. Maybe those government DEAs screwed things up.

drat big government. if they'd stopped meddling, we could've made Liberty Great Again.

Also never got diplocontact with the psilons to liberate their data.

I think it's a mod thing making food so rare. I haven't starved by the stopping point of my other attempt. And it's a much more interesting galactic location. Many neighbours, rather than having my one lane of expansion cut off. (Interestingly I had the same in my vanilla test game. Except then it was the Ikthul who had me boxed in. And they had enough missiles and fighters to break my spaceboats.)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

please tell me they didn't include the economy from Viccy 2 as well!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Libluini posted:

Oh yes, I've already pre-ordered and now I'm in waiting hell for Stellaris, so I don't mind it!

Some notes I made from Veloxyll's Evon-post:

Timocracy -gently caress the Poors- old greek type of government, people are divided into money-based classes. It's like a caste-system plutocracy!

+10% entertainment DEAs, makes them better at making people happy.
Fits the character then! And I guess stacks with consumer goods.

quote:

Nileintr is a secret Darlok agent, part of a secret Darlok organization

XX-513-LUOW -Sex maniac-, makes it really, really likely to get info about delays, is a SHE
Ah. Of course. That's what I get for not fully translating the tooltips I guess.
Somehow, I can see her fitting in with the rest of the perverts in the League.

quote:

Dxii' Achtadta -Science Wizard- combined the power of all the sciency thoughts in his swarm, got some kind of mental damage from that. His brain damage makes delays more likely, but less lengthy.

At one point you got the -Event-: Translationsoftware fucks up. Comedy ensues

Also that mini-LP was great fun and I think I'll add it to the OP so it won't get lost in time.

Fake Edit:

I'm sitting on two finished updates right now, I just was too lazy to post. I think I'll post the first update today, just to reduce my backlog a bit.

I wasn't paying that much attention to the diplo events since I guess you need a colony within 2 or 3 jumps or an outpost chain between homeworlds or something to open diplomatic channels.
When the channels closed and everyone started dying I decided to rethink things.

There are some improvements (I found the points for higher science, minerals, and agri production, for one!)
Still feels like usable land is harder to come by. but maybe I've just been rolling a lot of near barren worlds.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

SirPhoebos posted:

I actually picked up the MoO reboot last night and was really getting into it, up until I got my first combat and discovered it was real time :suicide:

EDIT: I feel the need to effortpost, and this feels like a saner place than the Steam forums. I don't have a problem with real-time in and of itself. When an Empire-building game has a tactical-level combat, my big question is "Does this give me more opportunity to influence the outcome than just going to auto-resolve?" In MoO2, you definitely can. The perfect example I can give is finding a monster protecting a system near your homeworld. What I'd do is research Fighter Bays, Battle Pods, Fusion Beams and Fusion Drives, then build a bunch of frigates carrying a single interceptor each and have them do their best Benny Hill impression while the fighters slowly whittle the monster down.

It's true that by end-game combat becomes a clusterfuck that frequently comes down to who gets to shoot first, but I feel that that is an issue that can be fixed rather than something that's so insurmountable it requires fundamentally changing a core aspect of a series. And I would have thought that the success of XCOM and XCOM 2 would have shown that modern audiences aren't turned off by turned based combat.

In MoO3 I never got that feeling that my input ever mattered, but there are enough problems with that game that I don't know if going real-time was to blame. I'm open to the possibility that that real-time tactical combat can be as varied as what you get in MoO2, but I haven't really played a game where that was the case.

Spoilers- even my base game efforts I had absolutely no idea how to build MOO3 spaceships.I will be shamelessly copying designs for the second mini-lp.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

SugarAddict posted:

That and the vertical dreads have a majority of their weapons forward and overlapping, meaning you can slice up cruisers and frigates very very quickly. Despite phasor beams being bugged they are probably the best weapon for space crows simply because of perfect accuracy and good range. Also, don't try putting missiles and other slow projectile weapons on drones, it turns out very terrible for the drones.

:psyduck:

Man, I should do another SOTS1 stream.

Probably in the next day or two to beat the Stellaris rush!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The Market will fix it - Evon mini-LP. Second Verse (same as the first)

Starting things off, some idiot put a bunch of factories on prime agriland. It's gross, but we have to intervene after finding out what happens to space empires WITHOUT proper agricultural preparedness.

This time we're set up a lot more centralised. I'm sure things will go well.

Then the market attracts some leaders. 1/3 less pollution events, 15% production, and more positive events?

20% mining output for some tax cuts! See how things work when the market is allowed freedom from government intervention!

I what. Get out hippie! no-one wants your terraforming 'discounts'.

Will there ever be an end to them?

Hydroponic farms allow everyone to grow their own plants. Truly a triumph of individualism.

Another world that has living conditions as good as home, besides some excess gravity. This will make a great second industrial heart for the forces of Libertarianism! The market will cover its lands with dollars.

20 cycles after Liberatianism takes to the skies, we find someone new to free from the shackles of their money government.

They seem strangely familiar...

-_-

30% more slaves! 10% more trade, 17% more industry. What's not to like? (waits for the inevitable revalation of what he REALLY does)

To the north, we discover another species of alien. the Klackon. They are literally the worst, all following the word of their government without hesitation. So gross. An entire race of sheeple!

Several cycles later...

Flat research for tax. Nice. Guess he saw the Raas were a dead end.

We have a colony here with another alien race, the Nommo. To ensure system control, we 'suggest' that people migrate here. Government should only advise, it is up to the individual to put in the ground work. Who needs fat and expensive colony ships!

39 cycles after we take to the stars, we open up our first official diplomatic channels to further the trading interests of our peoples.

Buncha nerds instantly jump on Nommo facebook.

Honestly, what else did you expect me to ask for? the government exists to promote the interests of the people and their corporations, and nothing more!

They also agree that we should not fight. That makes things easier!

We ask the Klackon if they'd like to trade too. I mean, just because they're alien is no reason not to take their money.

Oh. and this is why I decided to outpost contest that system. it is the far base of a wormhole that leads to our core space. Without star lanes there, we risk being blocked from multiple potenital markets!

Well gently caress.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Libluini posted:

Some annotations:

Adevil Solaros: Pollution per population point is reduced by 1/3rd. That last bit is about research project delays. "Positive" means projects run faster instead of slower. He was an important leader from the 2nd Orionic Age, going under the name "Xantus" back then. It's rumored this guy was a descendant from a extinct subspecies of the Antarans.
Details details :p

quote:

Rospasles Esjrali -One of the strongest Grendarl ever! He decided he wanted to fight the ground instead of soldiers. He is strong enough he can destroy raw iron ore with his bare hands.
He is the true mining machine

quote:

Rishtaa Taaltol: +15% food production. He was some kind of freedom fighter against the Antarans, finding ways to make more food for the Sakkra than the Antarans could steal.
Technically actually better than I thought. Given the uh. issues. I had with food last time.

quote:

Uldtitr Gokoni: Likes to pretend to be a god. Was known for visiting many races. If you are religious, think about this guy showing up pretending to be Jesus. Are you feeling sick yet? Again, more food (+20%!), the happyness generated by entertainment DEAs gets a 10%-boost and pollution is reduced by 15%. This time only by a flat amount instead of being population-related.
omnomnom.

quote:

Chondote II has neural parasites. Good luck with that whole "industrial heart"-thing. :v:
RIP!

quote:

Nisiu Ra actually gives +30% imperial taxes, not slaves. The rest is true. In an earlier age, Nisiu Ra was called Grogg. He was called "Gnolam-Capitalist" for his love of money. He is basically McDuck and even other Gnolams asked him to turn it down a notch. He stumbled upon a secret stasis project and so survived what happened between Master of Orion II and III. Now he is back and greedy as ever!

While I'm sure this is horrible to the libertarian mindset, that is super useful.
well, if there wasn't a level of arcanistry out there in the finance systems

quote:

Athakoth Sago is another Sakkra. He saw the Sakkran fleets wiped out by the Antaran Great Black Fleet, even though they outnumbered them greatly. Following that disaster, the Sakkra vowed to steal more tech until they could fight back on even footing. Considering the description, I can only assume he gives you that research bonus by outfitting fleets to hunt down and interrogate alien scientists. I guess the tax losses are you paying for that.

The Nommo actually tell you they like you, thanks to that economic treaty making your relations better. But as you learned soon after that, them being nice doesn't necessarily means something. :v:

And it was the Klackon who declared on us. did I get the screenshots mixed up. Remembering what I need to capture at the time is hard work. I'd be properly ashamed if this was a proper effort LP rather than just a comedy mini-LP.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Ahh. It did that in vanilla too. I may actually have the bugs boxed in. So it's possible. Or they just hate us for our fat stacks of cash we can't do anything with and lawless society.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Apparently the Klackon just love being at war with people!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

BoredDG posted:

Ah yes, that famous drug that can get space crystals high
Yes. They call it...

Crystal Meth.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I went for a lot of population boosts, aquatic etc.

Turns out that it doesn't matter if you can outproduce the enemy if you can't hurt the enemy. A single Psilon Battleship ruined me.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Assuming you donj't fall into another Stellaris shaped hole.

I know that threat well.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

do they still randomly die after 10-20 turns? Because that was always a 'fun' limitation on them.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I feel it would be a missed opportunity if we didn't have a ship class named DeRockracy

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Grats on finally winning a battle. :p

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Libluini posted:

When Master of Orion III bombed, it probably bombed hard enough to tank some neat concepts like this one. On the other hand, I haven't used strike craft in Stellaris yet, so maybe I'll get a nice surprise?

On MO3 fighters though, they may look good in MO3, but the lacking feedback when giving orders means you'll often be confused at your fighters' behaviour. Like them sometimes deciding to attack enemy fighters instead of their targets, while in other cases completely ignoring hordes of enemy fighters to get to their targets. Why are they doing this? Why is your input ignored? You don't know and the game isn't telling. :shrug:

It sure looks pretty, though.

Stellaris just implemented fighters leaving the protective arms of their command ships, so they might be slightly more effective nowadays!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I am slowly working on another update.

he is progressing faster than I am.

Spoilers - it is turn 75 and I'm doing the shield and fighter fusion bomb refit of my fleet.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

wedgekree posted:

Cool, don't remember enough about 3 to have ever gottena feel for how integration and assimilation of captured provinces worked within the mechanics. Thanks for the explanation!

Poorly. If it's a question about MOO3 and how something works, poorly is always the answer.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

War. War never changes.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

my dad posted:

We did read your update, don't worry. Just waiting for the inevitable bug war. :v:

Every turn of MOO3 is a bug war :D

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

PurpleXVI posted:

Was your mistake to leave anything to the AI at all?

Speaking of terraforming, is that something the AI automatically does? Or do you have to pester it to de-hellhole your various planets?

Doing everything yourself is the path to madness.

The planetary budget automatically assigns some % of output to terraforming. Which pushes the planet towards the centre. No idea how it works for planets with multiple species though. Given this is MOO3 - POORLY is probably the answer.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Yes amd Yes.

We won't defeat the Klakons alone. And not without actually attacking at some point. Ditto the "New" Orions.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Your outdated reserve fleets will be enough for the Raas now. Which means that you get to squish bugs with your new and high tech battefleets! What could go wrong?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Friend Commuter for the tie breaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

it'll be fine until he meets the Ikthul.