Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
I for one look forward to you dominating the galaxy with a robotic fist!

On a sidenote, I was always kinda sad to see the change from micro-management to
macro-management go so horrendously. Despite having bought the game at launch
and trying for months religiously to like it, it made it so goddarn hard....
And making the game as thrilling as an MS-Excel-sheet didn´t help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Are you sure though?

I mean, we are basically playing sentient rocks.
Who is to say, that the AK is just the expression of the fact that we are basically chucking other silicoids at the problem until it stops moving?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Bah! What have the Psilons ever done for the galacy at large, and us in specific?
I say, Leave them(The Psilons) to die, and send out Antaran Expeditions to get that sweet sweet X-Tech.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Rappaport posted:

Let's go with 1; ancient Silicoid proverb says, "finders keepers, losers vibrate and hum atonally in their sorrow"!

Quoted for the truth of it.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
How many partial discoveries make for one complete discovery?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Are there any in the same league as Imperium? Cause that was fascinating, if gruesome to watch ;)

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Is there any way to get our hands on the source code?
I´d love to poke into the innards of this game to see,
just where the hell they failed so hard that the game itself is basically "lies, lies and even more lies"...

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Libluini posted:

[...]
One positive thing I can say about those bastards: They have nothing left, are down to their last system and have a huge, overwhelming fleet bearing down on them. And yet they are still determined to fight, down to the last man, woman and child. Scrappy little lizards.[...]

You know what this reminds me of?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeNBJ5o-b7s&t=77s
Only here, the Lizards are humanity.
Please tell me won´t suddenly surrender because of religious reasons?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
I´ll take 3) because they definitely thought this through ;)

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
@Libluini
You know, I really have to give it to you. Congratulations.
Seldomly I´ve read a LetsPlay that so accurately depicts the feeling of acute hopelessness in the face of an overwhelming universe and the despair from dealing with an ever-increasing bureaucracy while attemping to navigate the idiots staffing the whole thing. You remain, as always, stalwartly the final sane person among the madhouse of MoOOO...

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
The curse of MOOO strikes again! All 3s! ALL 3S!

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Libluini posted:

[...]
I'm scrapping old fleets to reduce maintenance costs better spend on new ships and if you think I will spend a couple extra hours re-forming old fleets into new task forces only to send them to their deaths, you're the Avatar of Madness

That poo poo would take ages, now I'm thinking of all the time that would be lost just resolving the resulting battles and it gives me the hives
[...]

I´ve been thinking about this for some time now, but is there any way to up the number of TFs allowed into one battle? So that you could resolve a humuongously big battle of 2000 vs 200 in one go instead? Would the game engine be able to handle that?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Strategic Sage posted:

There was a patch that did that back in the day, but patch isn't the right word. It was done by hacking the executable. Shows you how much time I spent playing this … this thing … that I still remember it was made by Bhruic.

Well, it would have been my first thought as well. Check what value is used for TaskForces allowed into combat, which, considering how this game is made, is almost guaranteed to be a simple integer value, and just change it from ...whatever its original value to 100 or so.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

SIGSEGV posted:

It has always amazed me how you can make a 4X far better by massively limiting what spies can do and yet I keep seeing spies in them.

Simulating Espionage is really hard, usually underwhelming and nowhere even close to being as interesting as it looked like in real life and implementing it in strategy games usually sucks rear end because their effects need to be something the player can feel or else its ignored entirely...
Unfortunately the MOOO-way is the worst of all worlds...

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Libluini posted:

*After contemplating something seen in two screenshots of the last update*

You know, sometimes I'm wondering.

*After looking up some game data text files*

:psyduck:

Share theeeee paaaaaiiiiinnnnn..... ;)

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

habituallyred posted:

At least Stellar Monarch is upfront about the fact that any agreement is simply an era long cease fire.

The difference there is in what they attempt to portray:
Stellar Monarch wants to be the Roman Empire in Space and the romans never had full lasting peace, but every generation had its own great war at one of the imperial fronts.
Stellaris wants to be an all-encompassing scifi strategy experience generator build on the EU4-engine and that already was about great empires getting into alliances and slowly eating up the small, so it takes those cues and runs with it.
Civ 6, weirdly, has the same problem with Diplomacy, where the AI in the end game will constantly hound the player to defeat them, but is too dumb to do so. Its almost as if Devs hate players wanting people "to play with" and "people to beat up" Oo

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Libluini posted:

That's kind of fascinating. I don't expect 4x games from that era to be that complex with diplomacy. Isn't the original Master of Orion a game where you invade planets by killing everyone on them, because the game can't model different populations inside the same empire?

Imperium, the first game I LPed, had "slightly reduces chance of attacking you" as only effect of an alliance, so it was pretty much pointless to do diplomacy. The manual talked a lot about using trade treaties to enact trade barriers around hostile empires, but in my experience, most empires would try to lure you into accepting crippling tariffs, but never accept anything even slightly positive to the player. (Just before I abandoned that LP, I made the realization one of the empires asking for a treaty to cripple myself was one of those we had the most trade with: And since your planets buying and selling stuff is both the way you get money and the only way to get parts for your shipbuilding, this treaty would have essentially lead to a situation where both of us wouldn't be able to build ships anymore. Or alternatively, our planets would start buying from other empires, and nothing would change. It was like gambling, but the only outcomes were all stupid.)

I'm just hoping this new old game I'm targeting won't be a constantly crashing mess. I was willing to accept a lot of bullshit from Imperium, but the constant crashing was too much. Especially when some crashes managed to wipe the most current savestate on my emulator. (Before someone asks, yes I did try Imperium on my own Atari ST, with original discs and all. My very first misclick crashed the computer. So it's not a problem with the emulator or the rom. I also tried several different roms. All behaved the same. :shepface:

Was...was Imperium the original "early access" game? You know, seeing how it was "released" in what amounts to basically an unplayable state?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
I mean, after everything we've seen so far, it doesn't really surprise me O_o

Just one more thing they effed up making this thing.

I still rue the day I carelessly grabbed the box and paid full price for it in the store,
thinking it would be at least as good as the predecessor -_-

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Libluini posted:

[...]
Well, at first it was just real life intruding and stealing the time I've allotted to doing LPs, but then I missed writing so much I've entered a German SF short story contest, just to stay in practice.
[...]

I really hope it concerns the political assassinations and lives of the Hallervorden-Clone-Dynasties! ;)

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

kw0134 posted:

I wonder what it would take to make this a playable game, never mind a good one. Better AI so you don't have to micromanage a billion things? Less opaque mechanics? A combat model that was totally reconceptualized? Is it salvageable at all?

I don't think this is actually salvageable, though a better game with automation might by Distant Worlds:Universe, if a terrible one UI-wise, since Matrix Games are bad at making games accessible despite "some depth".

wedgekree posted:

Also I really rarely say this in 4X games but do you -really- need to make your Empire 200+ planets? Does that help the game in any sort of way beyond the point where you're having to tweak the general build guides for what you prioritize on planets (which the AI ignores anyways).

This might be an important part to note for future designers. Big numbers do not make for better games, if they're not abstracted well enough. Stellaris also runs into this problem where the player is much stronger if he micromanages every single system he has, which becomes a quick hassle soon enough, and it simply isn't fun.

Why not make it an abstract system which you can colonize, that has tags for difference and special circumstances, instead of micromanagement hell? But then again, the game is based on the rather outdated design philosophy of "Numerous turns of pointless click next turn are a good thing!", similar to Civilization.

It's just empty spaces where the designers show their blunders because it means that the game cannot actually fill the void this creates. There's simply no game between those interesting parts, and if those are what makes gaming fun, why not restrict the game to that?

Mr.Misfit fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 4, 2021

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
We're all rooting for your health to recover and please don't rush it.
MOOO certainly doesn't, so neither should you ;)

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Amazing how that happens. Also, I'd like to offer up that "once you win any kind of victory, even a science victory, even if not enabled, you win the game and can stop playing" ;)
At this point, similar to Imperium, this feels more like an exercise in frustration management, but I'm still impressed.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
At some point I have to wonder, is the Kingdom just producing these entertainer clones of Hallervorden én-masse?
Is this an actual part of our spy defense, where we have fake tv shows in which these clones get to perform only to be blown up so the enemy believes their own sabotage successful?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Libluini posted:

I guess as the LP-Overlord of this thread, I have to be the one to disagree here. The 10 bucks I've spent on my original discs have paid themselves over and over again. So that's at minimum, what this game is worth to me.

This, especially, is easily a description of every single space 4x ever made. If you aren't a fan of horrible AI, bad UI and bloated game maps, why do you even play a space 4x game? :v:

Bloated game maps imho, aren't even the fault of the devs, since this is the kind of poo poo video game players always demand from their space 4x (bigger maps) and then they get their bigger maps and have the gall to complain! Just look at this fucker for example: An entire thread of nothing but complaining! Incredible, just incredible.

lol, have to admit, you got me with that one.

But you know, Endless Legend 2 for example had a great UI and the differences in game mechanics actually makes the races feel a bit more nuanced to player in comparison, but looking a Distant Universe 2, yeah, okay. most 4X players are bad.
I'm just dreading the day we'll get Space Empires 6 which will be just that. Bad UI, clunky engine, terribad AI and incredibly bloated maps. But onwards with MOOO, the only masterpiece in its class....if you count terrible turn-based 4x sequels as a class, that is.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Congratulations, even if deactivated, it only took seven years to reach ONE victory condition. Amazing.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Wowzers. Here's to the next seven for our conquest victory :haw:

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
And Emperor of the Fading Suns can easily work in an emulator, and works without any hitches, not to mention there being some really good mods for it too.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

habituallyred posted:

Yes, but if you try to research all the techs in that game inquisitors come to kill you.

Part of the challenge, really ;)

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Oh Boy, Ascendancy, I remember that one, interesting planet system, strange ship building, very unique races, good ambience soundtrack for the time.
Horrendous from a modern perspective of course, but still, infinitely more playable than MOOO ever was!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Can you imagine, a game of MOOO finished? And it might have taken....only about oh, 8 years? A-MAZING. I'm sure not even games like "Grigsbys War in the East" and similar Wargames can content with such beasts of gameplay.... ;)