Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
So I've been home brewing ales and I'd like to do a pilser but this requires holding the fermenter temperature at around 10C.

Anyone homebrew with some sort of cheap cooling set up?

The strategies I've found so far are as follows:
1. Buy a chest freezer/fridge and hook it up to a thermostat.
2. Put it in a foam box with two chambers, one for the fermenter and one for a pile of ice, the chambers are connected by a fan hooked up to a thermostat on the fermenter side (evaporative cooling).
3. Put it in a plastic tub and throw ice in to it periodically.

I don't want to spend $300 to save $20 on beer.

I was thinking the cheapest method might be to frame a chest freezer sized box with scrap wood, add insulating foam walls to form two chambers, then put a bucket of ice and water in the one chamber and the fermenter in a second bucket of water in the other chamber. Move the water between chambers as needed using a pond water pump hooked up to a thermostat.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread