Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should be president
Ron Paul
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Professor Shark posted:

This isn't directly related, but what caused the Libertarian streak in US politics?

Decades of unfettered capitalism + lack of any immediate danger or consequence for one's actions.

I can't wait for Trump to start a world war!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Lol ISIS didn't exist, miss me yet?

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Goodpancakes posted:

Lol ISIS didn't exist, miss me yet?

someone should do this but with hitler

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Internaut! posted:

so you either weren't born when reagan was in office, or lived in east germany

Neither of those.

I knew a couple of people in the CDU back then (mostly through the kids I went to school with), and most of them ridiculed the turn away from manufacturing industries by the US government under Reagan. The consensus, as I remember it, was that the US will soon follow the Soviet Union in becoming a former global power. (Of course back then in the 80s most of them underestimated the development and tenacity of the new economy). A lot of this naturally wasn't based on sober analysis but by the general resentment due to Germany not being as important anymore as most Germans would have liked it to.

Even though that was nothing compared to 2002, when even Stoiber, who was running for chancellor for the conservative party, announced that under him the US would no longer be allowed to use their bases in Germany for offensive wars. But, as I said, Bush jr was truly unique.

Back to the 80s: From what I remember, among the general populace in the west, Gorbachev was much more popular than Reagan. Here is a song by Beuys that was actually popular back then in Western Germany: https://youtu.be/DQ1_ALxGbGk

(It is a nice example of the vague nationalist anti-American sentiment from the 80s that tries to disguise itself as pacifism and high idealism, and thus has a certain appeal to all political colours).

Anyway, I am curious: What makes you think that I wasn't born back then or from the East?

edit: Naturally, my personal impressions and memories from that time are highly subjective.

Ibogaine fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 4, 2016

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

City of Tampa posted:

and somehow Europeans seem to love Obama despite him continuing or expanding all of the worst Bush policies

He is at least charming and doesn't have members of his cabinet openly insulting Europe all the time. And naturally the average European is just as ignorant and idiotic as his American counterpart- only with less flag waving and more unfounded smugness. (And yes, that includes yours truly, of course).

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

he is implying that germans of the era would have lauded reagan as some sort of great savior or some poo poo because he is a fucktard

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
How do West Germans feel about Lee Greenwood's anthem 'God Bless the USA'?

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Stinky_Pete posted:

You will get a kick out of this.
“We treat this world of ours as though we had a spare in the trunk.”
A cowboy named Dickie was overseeing his herd in a remote mountainous pasture in Montana when suddenly a brand-new 2016 BMW advanced toward him out of a cloud of dust. The driver, a young man in a Brioni ® suit, Gucci® shoes, RayBan® sunglasses and YSL® tie, leaned out the window and asked the
cowboy, "If I tell you exactly how many cows and calves you have in your herd, will you give me a calf?"

Dickie looks at the man, who obviously is a yuppie, then looks at his peacefully grazing herd and calmly answers, "Sure, why not."

The yuppie parks his car, whips out his Dell® notebook computer, connect it to his Apple i phone, and surfs to a NASA page on the Internet, where he calls up a GPS satellite to get an exact fix on his location which he then feeds to another NASA satellite that scans the area in an ultra-high-resolution photo .

The young man then opens the digital photo in Adobe Photoshop® and exports it to an image processing facility in Hamburg, Germany...

Within seconds, he receives an email on his Apple iPad® that the image has been processed and the data stored. He then accesses an MS-SQL® database through an ODBC connected Excel® spreadsheet with email on his Galaxy S5® and, after a few minutes, receives a response.

Finally, he prints out a full-color, 150-page report on his hi-tech,miniaturized HP LaserJet® printer, turns to the cowboy and says, "You have exactly 1,586 cows and calves."

"That's right. Well, I guess you can take one of my calves," says Dickie.

He watches the young man select one of the animals and looks on with amusement as the young man stuffs it into the trunk of his car.

Then Dickie says to the young man, "Hey, if I can tell you exactly what your business is, will you give me back my calf?"

The young man thinks about it for a second and then says, "Okay, why not?"

"You're a Congressman," says Dickie, "for the U.S. Government."

"Wow! That's correct," says the yuppie, “but how did you guess that?"

"No guessing required." answered the cowboy. "You showed up here even though nobody called you; you want to get paid for an answer I already knew, to a question I never asked. You used millions of dollars’ worth of equipment trying to show me how much smarter than me you are; and you don't
know sh*t about how working people make a living - or about cows, for that matter.
This is a herd of sheep.”

“Now give me back my dog.”

AND THAT FOLKS IS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS.
Idgi if they were all sheep how come the guy gave the congressman his dog, wouldn't the answer have been wrong even if the count was right

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Fart Puzzle posted:

he is implying that germans of the era would have lauded reagan as some sort of great savior or some poo poo because he is a fucktard

So, I basically just reacted to a troll. Since there are regional differences, of course, and AFAIK people near US army bases, for instance, have a more positive attitude towards Americans and their armed forces, because their economy and thus livelihood depends on them. I thought that he could give me some sort of unique subjective insight on the matter, because I personally find the attitude of my own countrymen towards Americans to be extremely interesting.

Anyway, tl;dr: Sorry for the derail. Maybe I should make a new thread about foreign attitudes towards Americans in different regions and at different times in D&D.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah... BIBLE COLLEGE!

:agesilaus::hf::bigtran:

Aralan posted:

Idgi if they were all sheep how come the guy gave the congressman his dog, wouldn't the answer have been wrong even if the count was right

No, see, because LIEberals are loving retarded. I can say that because I'm not PC and we are conservatives owning LIEberals on Facebook ITT.

Tricky D posted:

How do West Germans feel about Lee Greenwood's anthem 'God Bless the USA'?

Who cares about countries we are not currently bombing?

We are conservatives. Owning LIEberals.

On Facebook.

ITT.

:hfive:

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
If the answer was negative, I was going to own his LIEbral rear end by implying that he was a nostalgic commie or a literal child.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Ibogaine posted:

Awesome. At least here in Germany, I can not remember any US president who caused more ridicule and outright anti-americanism among people from across the entire political spectrum than Bush Jr. Not even Reagan, who was openly despised by all but a few conservatives (most conservatives treated Reagan like a delusional madman).

I think it's a reference to the Saudis knowing their place and not making trouble.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Aralan posted:

That's just how confident the wise farmer was that the dumb arrogant liberal would pick the wrong one and accept his challenge as well so that his informative punchline would carry through. A true smart conservative farmer sows his crops and knows how they will come up in advance, you see

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Anyone RSVP?

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Henry Ford is my favorite Nazi

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Praise Ford

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

History doesn't agree with me or I just don't know about anything before I was 15? gently caress it, make poo poo up and post it

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

we deserved 9/11

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Henry Ford demanded children be taken out of the labor force and created public education to broaden their horizons to create better educated workers of tomorrow :911:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Please don't spread lies on today, the 130th anniversary of the Haymarket bombing.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

...Well? How do they exploit transgender laws?

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Pththya-lyi posted:

they pass local ordinances related to trans issues that stifle workers rights. the left hates workers.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

both sides hate workers

no war but class war

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Pththya-lyi posted:

gerrymandering across the waist.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/kassydillon/status/727961917193633792

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

hmm... the math checks out.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

want to taste this $1/lb meat :mrgw:

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

want to fill my rectum + colon with it

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

subhuman filth posted:

I worked in a kroger meat department one fall. The cheapest fresh meat we carried was typically in the 1.40/ range, always chicken. Sometimes thighs or breasts would go on sale for 0.88/lb. Never red meat, not even the cheap ground beef or stew meat.

Maybe poors have to buy their food at wally world and only get frozen?

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Speleothing posted:

I worked in a kroger meat department one fall. The cheapest fresh meat we carried was typically in the 1.40/ range, always chicken. Sometimes thighs or breasts would go on sale for 0.88/lb. Never red meat, not even the cheap ground beef or stew meat.

Maybe poors have to buy their food at wally world and only get frozen?

Maybe you can get expired cans of dog food for less than 1$ per pound?

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

subhuman filth posted:

Chicken hearts and gizzards. All you can eat.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Top City Homo posted:

we deserved 9/11

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

subhuman filth posted:

want to fill my rectum + colon with it

"Beef" (esque) franks!

In a perfect world there wouldn't be the FDA breathing down our neck and we could label them however we wanted

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

If religion is about controlling people, why do people run the church :smug:

• Locked thread