Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should be president
Ron Paul
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Dreddout posted:

You act like conservatives have a better idea.

Isn't it to just go back to the normal way of learning math has been done for the past how many years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

common core math is p dumb but that isn't why conservatives hate it.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

common core math is p dumb but that isn't why conservatives hate it.

Do they hate it because it is supposed to help all the dumb minorities learn math instead of just failing at it and joining gangs and selling drugs?

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*

Holyshoot posted:

Do they hate it because it is supposed to help all the dumb minorities learn math instead of just failing at it and joining gangs and selling drugs?

:eyepop:

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Holyshoot posted:

tell us more about how common core helps minorities and how old ways of learning math were "normal"

Holyshoot posted:

Isn't it to just go back to the normal way of learning math has been done for the past how many years?

it's about sex ed and communism and liberals and how no one loves jesus like they used to

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
I was under the impression that common core was developed by professional educators and derided by people who think they know how to teach better than professional educators.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Tricky D posted:

I was under the impression that common core was developed by professional educators and derided by people who think they know how to teach better than professional educators.

Honestly, common core is the best we can do without reforming the entire American education system, and good luck with that lol!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

who would want to reform a system where insane and insanely stupid people decide what textbooks texas gets and thus the rest of the country?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

My bad. I thought this was the ironic conservative thread.

mdm posted:

tell us more about how common core helps minorities and how old ways of learning math were "normal"

it's about sex ed and communism and liberals and how no one loves jesus like they used to

The normal way I can take 46*27 and find the answer with paper and pencil and not take 5 years to figure it out.

From what I heard Common Core made it easier for people who aren't very good at math to learn math since you write a book to figure out the problem. (I don't think it's a minority thing that was me being an ironic conservative)

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Holyshoot posted:

My bad. I thought this was the ironic conservative thread.

The normal way I can take 46*27 and find the answer with paper and pencil and not take 5 years to figure it out.

From what I heard Common Core made it easier for people who aren't very good at math to learn math since you write a book to figure out the problem. (I don't think it's a minority thing that was me being an ironic conservative)

it's more like common core replaced learning math by commonly used numerals with dumb pattern recognition problems that have little application to doing every day math when the concepts of pattern recognition and whatever would be better explained by teaching concepts like binary earlier

Arabic numerals are for terrorists anyway, so conservatives should be all over it.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
When I learned math we carried the one both ways in the snow and we were better for it.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

I use a web-based calculator because I live in the twenty-first century, math is for troglodytes!

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

common core math is about teaching the distributive property and identity property in a visual or physical way.

not very many people understand that 2 x 6 = 3 x 2 x 3 or 2 x 40 = 2 x 4 x 10 without being forced to see that with boxes or sticks or something and it makes advanced math much easier to understand

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

common core is good but the way most teachers implement it is terrible because nobody really intelligent wants to waste their life for a teacher's wages

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

satanic splash-back posted:

not very many people understand that 2 x 6 = 3 x 2 x 3

What?

Final Fantasy Football
Oct 3, 2006

welcome to the republican party :smug:

GREAT SATAN
Aug 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

look at this idiot

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
you can tell an idiot doesn't know math when they don't realize 12 really does equal 18

:aatrek: math

GREAT SATAN
Aug 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe

Isn't that what everyone does in their head when doing math anyway?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Common core looks like a load of horseshit to me.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

No

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

it is

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

apparently not, and that's why you and i don't drool when we calculate a tip.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

satanic splash-back posted:

common core math is about teaching the distributive property and identity property in a visual or physical way.

not very many people understand that 2 x 6 = 3 x 2 x 3 or 2 x 40 = 2 x 4 x 10 without being forced to see that with boxes or sticks or something and it makes advanced math much easier to understand

that's a really bad time to have a brain fart, hehe

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

Haha that's just a poorly written test question all around. And WTF happened to writing in red pen? The purple marker poo poo looks ridiculous.

Rad Wood
Dec 26, 2005
Segata Sanshiro!

Haha, this stuff is too true! Just saying, haha!

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Carol Pizzamom posted:

that's a really bad time to have a brain fart, hehe

its a good thing i dont teach math drunk

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

What is the supposed deal with Hillary and benghazi? What is the email scandal? These pictures have led me to believe she used an email to hire killers to murder our guys in Benghazi?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

she forwarded an old screamer flash to obama, startling him into pushing "the button"

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I heard hillary is going to paint the white house pink

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Capntastic posted:

What is the supposed deal with Hillary and benghazi? What is the email scandal? These pictures have led me to believe she used an email to hire killers to murder our guys in Benghazi?

Just asking questions

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I heard Hillary will launch nukes whenever she gets her period. Lol chicks, amirite.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Hector Beerlioz posted:

*rubs tampon on walls of lincoln bedroom*

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Applewhite posted:

I looked at a sample explanation once and I didn't understand it at first but it was all about number relationships and I figured out how to do it. For example if you multiple 19 * 17 traditionally you'd go with multiplying it out and adding up 190 + 70 + 63 = 323 Common core's methodology has you multiple 17 * 20 and subtract 17 so you get 340 -17 = 323 So 3 multiplications + 3 additions vs one multiplication and one subtraction.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
common core doesn't require you to memorize poo poo like your multiplication tables. Stuff dumb people can't do I guess.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Did anyone post this yet?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

spud posted:

Did anyone post this yet?

So all Republicans are secretly Muslim?

Man, they really are playing the long con!

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Capntastic posted:

She killed every goon living in Benghazi!

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

she forwarded an old screamer flash to obama, startling him into pushing "the button"

What a goddamned momster!

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You seem very triggered by this thread friend Dreddout.

Maybe have a break for a bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Holyshoot posted:

common core doesn't require you to memorize poo poo like your multiplication tables. Stuff dumb people can't do I guess.

It's helpful to memorize the basics up to 100 or so since that's the kind of thing that useful in everyday life, but when I was in grade school part of our nightly homework was to drill with flashcards that had crap like 137x36 or 567/22 and memorize the answers (including remainders). We were then given timed tests on these problems which were impossible to finish unless you had everything memorized since you were only allotted a couple of seconds per problem, and even then time was tight unless you were reading the next question before you even finished writing the answer to the last one. To this day I have no idea what that was supposed to teach us about mathematics other than "math is lovely, boring and stressful". You still need to learn the mechanics behind basic arithmetic, but introducing the theoretical aspects of mathematics earlier is a good thing as it will make the transition from grade school arithmetic to real math centered around theory and problem solving much less jarring that it was in the past.

It seems like most people who hate common core just bitch about how "That not how I learned math!" even though they and most of their peers started getting totally lost when getting into algebra and geometry because it became more about using tools to solve problems vs how meticulous you are when adding and subtracting single digit numbers.

• Locked thread