Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should be president
Ron Paul
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I wish I had gotten minimum wage in the military when I was working 12 hours a day on 7 day cycles. It wound up being 28 days on with 9 days off, rotating shift work and boy did it suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Applewhite posted:

Common core looks like a load of horseshit to me.

I looked at a sample explanation once and I didn't understand it at first but it was all about number relationships and I figured out how to do it. For example if you multiple 19 * 17 traditionally you'd go with multiplying it out and adding up 190 + 70 + 63 = 323 Common core's methodology has you multiple 17 * 20 and subtract 17 so you get 340 -17 = 323 So 3 multiplications + 3 additions vs one multiplication and one subtraction.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Stinky_Pete posted:

It's because the process focuses on why you're doing each step, and what the operation means, in a world where a calculator is in everyone's pocket.

Yeah, you're not "making 10," you're getting to 10 "on the way" to 13. It promotes general number sense and the physicist's estimation, of getting to the nearest order of magnitude and working from there.

Except NOBAMA tainted the test questions with his George Soros Jeeeewwwwww magic so the kids ain't learnin's poo poo! Only common core I need is the common width of the core of the rod I beat the stupid outta mah kids with!

Praise jebus.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Stinky_Pete posted:

If liberals hate guns so much, how come they love going to war against christmas? :smug:

war have guns, you see

Liebrals wage war on Christmas and decency but Conservatives wage war on terror and immorality! :smug:

• Locked thread