Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So, the maker of Train Fever, the bit autistic, yet compelling albeit shallow Train game from last year. Train Fever mostly focused on trains, and some trucks and buses were mixed in between. However, according to the dev, it was a practice run for their intended spiritual successor to nothing else than Transport Tycoon itself.

Steampage: http://store.steampowered.com/app/446800/
Subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/TransportFever
Similar games of inspiration:
https://wiki.openttd.org/Main_Page
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenTTD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPXLiflL_IQ
Fakeedit: welp the OpenTTD thread died sometime after 2013 it looks like
Here have a Factorio thread link instead: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3629545&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

This game's autism is fairly severe on the train side, signalling, and track laying. However, there really isn't a deep economic side in the game like Railroad Tycoon. I'd compare this game more to a model railroad. The is stuff to do for you, but it's basic "transport poo poo for money" and you use the money to transport more poo poo. I enjoy the game, and I love building complex rail networks. Trains don't pass each other, and they don't turn on a dime like in Railroads!, they require intersections, passing lanes, switches, signals and such.

TRANSPORT FEVER

quote:

Billed as a "next generation transport simulation game", Transport Fever is due on PC this fall. Players will be tasked with building roads, railway lines, airports, stations and harbours, as they strive to construct thriving inter-city infrastructures.

In doing so, you'll have over 120 transport options at your disposal in the form of various planes, trains, automobiles, ships, buses, trams...

quote:

Transport Fever is a railroad­focused tycoon game. Players start in 1850 and build up a thriving transport company. As an emerging transport tycoon, the player constructs stations, airports, harbors and makes money by connecting areas requiring transport services.

Construct complex road­rail­water­air networks in the endless game and experience more than 150 year of transportation history. Fulfill the people’s needs and watch cities evolve dynamically. Supply industries with freight, develop complete cargo chains and enable economic growth. Build up a transport empire!

Master challenges and get entertained in the campaign game mode. Two campaigns each consisting of ten missions with increasing difficulty can be tackled. Missions of the American and the European campaign tell the historical context of the 19th and 20th century and offer a wide range of real­world transportation challenges.
Game Features
Two game modes: Endless game and campaign mode
Over 120 detailed trains, aircrafts, ships, buses, trams and trucks
Intuitive yet powerful railroad and street construction
Upgradable train and bus stations, airports and harbors
European and American campaign with 10 historical missions each
Randomly generated, modifiable terrains with realistic dimensions
Fully realized European and American game environments
Dynamically simulated urban development and passenger movement
Sophisticated economy model and freight simulation
Content from more than 150 years of transportation history
Realistic vehicle simulation, coloring and aging
Physically based graphics, lighting and simulation
More than 25 challenging achievements
Steam Workshop and extensive modding support

Things worthy of note compared to the Train Fever, and other similar games are, for example, the fairly impressive switching, signalling, train routing and to-scale stations. The rails have grades, speeds and such that have to conform to fairly realistic proportions. There is also a lot, I mean a lot, of empty ground between cities and towns, making the need for long, winding, tracks across the country side a necessity. For some it sounds a bit boring, but I like seeing long trains travel long distances.

Also, :woop: It has full workshop support and campaign mode :woop: which should lead to great replayability along the endless continuous mode. Games like this are meant for modding and it was honestly a bit of a pain for Train Fever. So, if Steam workshop is onboard from the get go, things can get wild.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Mar 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I really disliked Train Fever's user interface. For some reason, the game made me feel a little dizzy, too. I bought the game almost two years ago now, but only lasted 61 minutes.

Here's hoping things will improve. Because I am obsessed with Transport Tycoon style games (since like 1994..), I'll probably buy this one on release.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah, I agree about the interface. Something was just inconvenient about it.

Will the freight system be any better? It was such a pain to get it working for me. The extremely limited types didn't help any.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Poil posted:

Yeah, I agree about the interface. Something was just inconvenient about it.

Will the freight system be any better? It was such a pain to get it working for me. The extremely limited types didn't help any.

Looks like they're using the same 'agents' system from Train Fever but given that you now need enough freight to fill a ship profitably I suspect you'll be moving a lot more cargo. From the trailer it also looks like industries will be producing a lot more crap to move around as well, though it could all be relative.

No word on everything that's in the game but it looks like they've also added some grain cargo type since there's farms now. They may just focus on the extra modes of transport rather than expanding the simulation to include more production chains.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
My main gripe about Train Fever was the freight not wanting to actually use trains, or much of anything else. It also got annoying at times to attempt to build a route, and mess up multiple times, leaving a huge mess of the landscape behind.

I still kind of enjoyed connecting up towns with passenger lines, which was enjoyable enough until I had everything connected.

I've always been fond of how Railroad Tycoon 3 handled freight. It all slowly moves from production centres to whatever will consume it, but your own trains are actively much faster than the default speed. I felt that Train Fever tried a similar mechanic, but it didn't move slow enough by default, so a faster train was almost entirely useless.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this one. I could see this being good, assuming they listened to all the feedback from Train Fever and incorporate it all into the game.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
There should be a system where freight does not expire in 20 minutes like passengers, and there should be a subclass of mail and passengers who desire longer distance.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

thedaian posted:

My main gripe about Train Fever was the freight not wanting to actually use trains, or much of anything else. It also got annoying at times to attempt to build a route, and mess up multiple times, leaving a huge mess of the landscape behind.

I still kind of enjoyed connecting up towns with passenger lines, which was enjoyable enough until I had everything connected.

I've always been fond of how Railroad Tycoon 3 handled freight. It all slowly moves from production centres to whatever will consume it, but your own trains are actively much faster than the default speed. I felt that Train Fever tried a similar mechanic, but it didn't move slow enough by default, so a faster train was almost entirely useless.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this one. I could see this being good, assuming they listened to all the feedback from Train Fever and incorporate it all into the game.

The most effective way I found to create a freight route that made money was to find an industry chain that could sustain itself and replace it with trucks. Then once the industry had expanded build a train route for finished goods to another town with no access to industry that could support itself. At first very little freight would move but eventually the industry would ramp up production to supply the newly connected town as well (though this didn't always work and was gamey as gently caress).

I would also just start building main trunk lines and randomly connect industries and towns together where the opportunity presented itself; it became less of a game and more of a train set at that point but it kept me entertained.

To the devs credit they did stick with their first game and supported it with a lot of free content and patches for a while. They even revamped the freight system a bit before moving on, though I admit I haven't played it much and I'm not sure how much of a difference the changes made. They've been receptive to feedback before and I have high hopes they've taken some of the feedback to heart here. We can already see some improvements by way of the fact that tracks can now cross each other without connecting - so no more janky as gently caress junctions - and that it should be much easier to build grade level crossings. Not to mention the stations you can upgrade without having to knock down.

They haven't mentioned anything about the maps yet but I'm hoping they're much larger to make planes and ships a viable option and running trains over long distances more appealing, rather than just running trucks everywhere.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Not to mention the stations you can upgrade without having to knock down.
Yes! Finally!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Please post a thread to the OpenTTD thread or whatever it's called in the OP, so newbies have an understanding of the heritage of this game type

https://wiki.openttd.org/Main_Page
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenTTD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPXLiflL_IQ

Fakeedit: welp the OpenTTD thread died sometime after 2013 it looks like

Here have a Factorio thread link instead: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3629545&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
I'll be interested to see if they make a significant increase in map size given that planes and ships are now involved.

The music... oof. Hopefully they come up with something else by release. That style from Train Fever and this trailer just makes me uncomfortable and feels cheap. Obviously no big deal, just was surprised to hear it again.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hope people actually want to commute to specific places and not just always the nearest X building. Every passenger line was just 2 point, the whole passenger supply/demand system was too simplistic.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Somewhat hyped.

From the videos it looks like the construction UI has been improved significantly, to iron out most of the annoyances.

Now I just hope they will do (or have option to) make infrastructure maintenance a significant drain on your accounts. As it is, in almost every transportation game I have tried, there is no real downside to just electrifying every train line you build. It's slightly more expensive initially, but not much, and that's it. It should actually be much more expensive to run, to make a real, significant choice between building a branch line electrified or run it on diesels instead.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Train fever was pretty hard for me. I think I only had one profitable line the entire time I played. I don't really understand why this exists besides to be train fever but better. Who cares about planes and poo poo? I want to make trains.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Very keen for this, like Train Fever, kinda felt like a demo though.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i have terminal transport fever and it's nice to have a support group

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I've been thinking about the recent renaissance of sim games and why no one has done TTD yet. And here we are. I'm cautiously optimistic. Has a Jazz soundtrack been confirmed?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tokamak posted:

I've been thinking about the recent renaissance of sim games and why no one has done TTD yet. And here we are. I'm cautiously optimistic. Has a Jazz soundtrack been confirmed?

The Train Fever soundtrack was very clearly inspired by TTD.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It's just what Baronjutter mentioned. Everyone is satisfied by the nearest building of their desire. BUt that is not how train transport transformed the west, and that's not how the Siberian Rail went on. People want to go far away sometimes too, and the game kinda ignores that and along with it, makes designing long route tracks worthless unless you game the system and don't offer commuter rail. But if you do offer commuter rail, you basically kill yourself. Which really sucks. This is all of course based on Train Fever, and not Transport Fever.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I really like the advancing through time mechanic. It's neat to start in the 19th century and go to the 20th.

I doubt they're going to put it in, but I'd like a 'gamey' tech system. Instead of technology advancing through time it only advances as you save your money and buy tech levels. So you could stay at 1890 techs a while (or forever if you enjoy that vibe) or save your cash to buy all the cool upgrades of faster vehicles, more cargo space, etc.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
What you suggest has the downside of not forcibly outdating your fleet. Being on the brink and having to run outdated equipment even as the time rolls on is another fun side.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The main problem I see with automatic tech advancement here is if it happens too fast for it to matter to gameplay.
In SimCity 2000, starting in year 1900, new techs are introduced around 1910 until 2030, but years pass very fast and there often isn't anything particular that forces you to deal with the new tech. Your city can keep working just fine on coal power and cars only, as long as it's making money to replace the power plants every 50 years.

In Transport Tycoon, years pass much more slowly, and because vehicles stop being supported by their manufacturer (max reliability dropping towards zero) some years after being first introduced, you are forced to constantly upgrade your fleet. You also wouldn't want modern vehicles running alongside a large fleet of obsolete stuff.
The combination of time passing more slowly, and being forced to react to the changing tech (you are not the center of the world) makes it interesting in TT.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
There's this on the website:

quote:

Campaign mode:

A European and a North American campaign with ten missions each can be tackled. The missions are set in the historical context of the 19th and 20th century and offer a wide range of real-world transportation challenges. For instance, players are tasked to build a section of the first transcontinental railroad, help to build the Panama Canal, found an airline or develop the Alps. Frame stories make sure the campaigns are entertaining. Tasks include decisions and players can therefore fulfil the goals in several ways. Missions can be completed with different scores and hence offer challenges for both beginners and ambitious players. In order to complete a campaign it takes about 10 hours of play time.

Although I like endless-type gamemodes, occasionally tackling scenarios is fun, too. They also said that there can be modded scenarios, which could get a lot more content with the workshop support.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The scenarios can help when you feel like doong more than a random sandbox and don't know where to begin.

But I think what I'd like more in a game like this would be the ability to skow time, to just focus on a specific era but not dramatically cut down on the time you have to play. For example maybe I just want to focus on the years 1930-1970 instead of the full timeline. But instead of a year taking ~30 minutes a month takes that long to drag things out.

I'm sure that would be a bitch to balance, but sometimes you're juat looking to have some fun and not actually challenge yourself.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Vahakyla posted:

What you suggest has the downside of not forcibly outdating your fleet. Being on the brink and having to run outdated equipment even as the time rolls on is another fun side.

That's true, I guess. I'd enjoy my style more, but that's a legitimate objection.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

A thing I thought might be cool, would be tech somehow responding to your usage of existing things. So the introduction year of various things might change, for instance.

Or far out, a way to custom order a vehicle class, where you can actually set required parameters, that have to be weighted with some kind of points system, but also get a minimum order and a lead time.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I'd be neat to have something more modern than OTTD in the genre.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Yeah. Honestly I can't take the graphics in OTTD, no matter how much I try.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The only part of OTTD's graphics that bugs me are the 45 degree angles/complete lack of curved track. Locomotion spoiled that for me.

Its not much better looking though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's too bad locomotion was some how a step backwards on so many fronts despite it being so much newer.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

One strange thing in Locomotion, as far as I remember, is that diagonal track, flat has a speed limit, while straight, flat track does not. Which means that the fastest trains can never reach their top speed on diagonal lines.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Baronjutter posted:

It's too bad locomotion was some how a step backwards on so many fronts despite it being so much newer.

To be fair, IIRC, it compared decently well to OpenTTD when Locomotion released (OpenTTD was pretty new at the time), it is just OpenTTD has had years of development afterwards.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

A FAQ has been posted

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Nice; the ability to change the 'length of day' and passengers/cargo determining prefered method of transport based on cost and speed (rather than just speed and the 20 minute rule) sound great.

Sounds like you can also play on some rather large maps and they learned a few things about programming so the game won't grind to a halt.

Can't wait to see more.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I see they are going to be offering a discount for owners of the first game. I was very disappointed by train fever, but most of my problems with it seem to be promised to be fixed, if it's a decent discount I'll bite I suppose.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Doing to pull this thread out of the depths to post a developer blog update from the devs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOdwyW21A8k

This one being about the vehicles in the game and some of the customization features that are now included with the game along with other bits of eye candy they've included.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wow, dirt and rust channel layers, that is nuts.

Cross posting from the Skylines thread, as this game is the total polar opposite of dirt and rust channels:

Humble Bundle has Mini Metro as part of their extended package if you pay ~$4.90 or so. Typically it's $10 on steam. This game comes up periodically, as it's sort of an arcadey version of a traffic simulator.

You can direct all or part of the payment to charity, like Child's Play or a charity of your choice like the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)

Purchase comes with a steam key

https://www.humblebundle.com/eye-candy-bundle

steam link:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/287980/

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Mini-Metro is pretty cool, but be warned its more like a puzzle game than a transportation simulator.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Somewhat in the genre, there is also Parkitecht, an amusement park sim that looks very much like Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 with a visual upgrade.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

This is the only "Trains" thread, so I thought I'd post this here.

Simutrans is now on steam. Never played it myself, might take a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
im excited about this train (and other vehicle) simulator :bubblewoop: