Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Four letter city abbreviations.

For non-road, I use (C or P for type) (T, S, or A for vehicle) (city or cities) (product if applicable).

CT LKWD tool delivery = cargo train tool delivery to Lakewood.
PA LKWD BIRM = Passenger aircraft Lakewood to Birmingham.

For road it’s like

BIRM grain gather
BIRM food delivery
BIRM planks to tools
BIRM commuter loop
etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
I rarely name any of them tbh, it’s just a time sink I don’t feel a use for that offsets the effort of thinking of and typing to a naming convention.

Although now some of the vehicles display names and numbers I feel almost obliged to name things something less default :11tea:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I name mine so I don't have "Line 1" through "Line 126" but keep it something simple like "Nanjing - Dehli" for passenger lines, "Nanjing Stone to Brick", or "Nanjing Brick Delivery". I so rarely need to identify the line by name, normally I'm using the line view that shows only the lines I'm looking at and match up the colors to see which ones I'm working with.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

CareyB posted:

I rarely name any of them tbh, it’s just a time sink I don’t feel a use for that offsets the effort of thinking of and typing to a naming convention.

Although now some of the vehicles display names and numbers I feel almost obliged to name things something less default :11tea:

Main reason I do it for trains is so I have an easy reference as to what the makeup is when I go to upgrade

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I give every line a unique identifier starting with T for train, V for vehicle, X for airplane, and Z for ship. Then it gets a C or a P for cargo or passengers, and then a number. Then a short description of the line. Closely related lines might get an A/B/C/etc., for example if there are two short lines that feed raw materials to a nearby industry.

So my line list looks like:
TC-01A Lumber>Planks
TC-01B Lumber>Planks
TC-02 Planks>Tools
TP-01 Tampa-Oakland
VP-01 Tampa Bus

...and so on.

:spergin:

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
So tidy, I wish I could be arsed!

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

I give every line a unique identifier starting with T for train, V for vehicle, X for airplane, and Z for ship. Then it gets a C or a P for cargo or passengers, and then a number. Then a short description of the line. Closely related lines might get an A/B/C/etc., for example if there are two short lines that feed raw materials to a nearby industry.

TC-01A Lumber>Planks
TC-01B Lumber>Planks
TC-02 Planks>Tools
TP-01 Tampa-Oakland
VP-01 Tampa Bus

...and so on.

Okay I really like this, I'm going to steal your layout.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Lou Takki posted:

Okay I really like this, I'm going to steal your layout.

:thumbsup: enjoy

The other thing I do is color lines by cargo/industry type, so that it’s easy to tell at a glance how stuff is moving. For example, if I have a line taking lumber to be made into planks, a line taking the planks to a tool factory, and a line taking tools to a city, all of those will be green.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Can anyone recommend a mod that removes or slows the vehicle degradation? It's not a bad mechanic on the face but it seems like a train can make like 6 loving deliveries before it needs a replacement and micro-ing the actual replacement sucks.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
There’s a “no vehicle maintenance cost” mod if that’s good enough. The name is similar to that phrase.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

There’s a “no vehicle maintenance cost” mod if that’s good enough. The name is similar to that phrase.

Thanks, I saw that but thought perhaps maintenance on tracks and what not was separate from decay - will try it out!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

EDIT: Wrong thread

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 9, 2020

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Anyone played since the new update came out last week?

I loaded up my megalomaniac game and the difference in performance was immense. The game was stuttery as hell before it loaded everything into memory or whatever, but since the update the game plays like a dream, no slowdown at all where the map was really creaking before.

Definitely worth a try if you had performance issues before or if you were worried about the larger map sizes, cos I'm now hopeful we could get even bigger maps if they've truly resolved the performance issues.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It’s much smoother and the usability changes are great. Everything’s linked now and things like checking vehicle statuses and replacing them is much better.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Bold Robot posted:

TC-01A Lumber>Planks
TC-01B Lumber>Planks
TC-02 Planks>Tools
TP-01 Tampa-Oakland
VP-01 Tampa Bus

...and so on.

I have only been playing TF2 for a couple of days and already I see the merit of such a system. Thank u Bold Robot :allears:

e; Do people name their vehicles? I name everything except road vehicles :negative:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 21, 2020

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Ms Adequate posted:

I have only been playing TF2 for a couple of days and already I see the merit of such a system. Thank u Bold Robot :allears:

:respek:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

New update in open beta now.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
And released now. I tried reading the stuff in the notes, but I don't really understand what the better mod options are? What kind of mods should we be expecting now?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It looks like one of the new things is game scripts, i.e. mods that are actual code and not just static data. So you will be able to make mods that create new towns and industries during game, and perhaps change the cargo types accepted by towns dynamically, or makes town growth based on other factors. The mods can also make custom GUI, so I could imagine making a subsidies system where you promise a town to provide a certain transport service and if you succeed you get some kind of bonus.
Custom GUI in mods also means they can possibly offer more statistics or line/vehicle management than the built-in tools.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

nielsm posted:

It looks like one of the new things is game scripts, i.e. mods that are actual code and not just static data. So you will be able to make mods that create new towns and industries during game, and perhaps change the cargo types accepted by towns dynamically, or makes town growth based on other factors. The mods can also make custom GUI, so I could imagine making a subsidies system where you promise a town to provide a certain transport service and if you succeed you get some kind of bonus.
Custom GUI in mods also means they can possibly offer more statistics or line/vehicle management than the built-in tools.

Thanks for the explanation, I was wondering too!

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Same! Does this mean scheduling is a realistic possibility now?

With the performance gains the last patches brought I would absolutely love larger map sizes to be on the horizon as it’s currently the only thing currently stopping me from getting stuck back into this game. I want a metropolis to metropolis network but I doubt it’ll happen til the next game

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If by scheduling you mean vehicles following an actual timetable of sorts, or scheduled dispatch, no I don't think that's possible. At least not in a super great way. (You can probably make a script that starts/stops vehicles but I can't imagine it being a great experience.) It also won't make stations with alternate platforms possible. (Pick any of these 3 platforms to load, to allow a train to enter and one to leave at the same time.)

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Wow since this got resurrected allow me to say - goddamn I wish I could hide obsolete and old vehicles in the buy screen.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Isn’t that an option in settings?

Edit: maybe not. Do you have a mod active called Vehicles No End Year?

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 10, 2020

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Hm nothing I can find!

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
Railway Empire is going to be free on Epic Games next week, 9/10 - 9/17.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So what’s next for TPF2? I feel like I’ve played it to death.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
FYI there’s a timetables mod out. It’s pretty nifty and doesn’t require huge amounts of fiddling from my limited testing so far of having a 3 fast lines spaced out to regulate a stopping service either end to move in and out.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2408373260

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
God drat. This might make me get back into it. Unbunching trains is a great feature.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So, Railway Empire 2 is coming out, promising to improve on the first one and adding a coop.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1644320/Railway_Empire_2/

Easier track laying, and giving rewards for longer distance tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Neat. I’ll pick it up in a sale or something as I’ve only just got back into TF1 (reworking/improving a network I considered finished four years ago is pretty satisfying) and that will probably be my choo choo fix for this year.