Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Mandalay posted:

Installing. 9.5GB, jeez

They did put in an absurd amount of detail on vehicles, passengers, buildings etc... old Transport Tycoon managed to be perfectly playable in 1/500 the space or even less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Not exactly sure why they would generate maps that didn't have all rivers be navigable without any option to edit terrain to change that. Water travel is completely pointless on my current map (and I wasted a good 2mn in the early game to find that out.)

Also, visual representation doesn't really tell you anything useful about what rivers are and are not navigable without the overlay.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Come on guys, hurry up and report back so I can decide whether to buy this game!

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

WMain00 posted:

Come on guys, hurry up and report back so I can decide whether to buy this game!

From what I've seen in the pre-release streams this is just like a mod to Train Fever. Better graphics, new vehicles, new goods, but many problems from the previous game remains.
I would still suggest that you buy it if you liked the first one, I believe there are still some hours left on the 25% rebate.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah it feels pretty much exactly like Train Fever. I guess you have boats and planes too now, and it seems a bit more forgiving w/r/t intra-city movement, but a lot of the same things that made Train Fever feel under par have returned.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

WMain00 posted:

Can you come take over from me at work so I can go home and test it for you?

Train Fever scratched my OTTD-but-with-diagonal-tracks-and-pseudo-cargodist itch, so an improvement on that sounds pretty good.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Just started and I have to say the game has a decent loading time before you enter the main menu and HOLY gently caress WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE MOUSE CURSOR?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How the gently caress do you rotate things??? How are these controls so bad :(
Also escape doesn't close windows, you have to click the little x.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Don't upgrade harbors along the river, they become so big ships can't pass them. Derp.

Baronjutter posted:

How the gently caress do you rotate things??? How are these controls so bad :(
Also escape doesn't close windows, you have to click the little x.
"m" and "n" to rotate. :downs:

smr
Dec 18, 2002

I've only played through the tutorial so far but this is the German-est UI I've seen since, well... Train Fever.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I've been playing for an hour now and buyer beware, it is pretty much exactly the same game as train fever. The road system is exactly the same, bugs included, upgrading roads is still extremely frustrating except in cities where they solved it by having roads destroy buildings to fit.
It's pretty disappointing, even the performance of the engine is the same.

And you rotate with 'n' and 'm'.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, drat, I only got 45 min before work but this feels like a small expansion pack for train fever. Everything bad is still bad or worse, there's just a few more product chains :(

I wish instead of gigs of vehicle art and dynamic vehicle weathering they had hired an outsider interface designer, preferably a non-german one.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

That's too bad. I've been casually following this since I heard about it (never played Train Fever), but sounds like it's not worth it yet. At least now I can go back to trying to wrap my head around how to begin with OpenTTD...

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

2 hours in and I've made this monstrosity of a train station

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Game feels substantially smoother than train fever on release, but that's a low bar. I played through the entire tutorial and some of the USA campaign. It's moderately fun and can be described as an iterative improvement on Train Fever. UI is still clunky, but I think it's more than a simple mod. Assets are pretty and well detailed but lacks overall art direction. Building double tracks, signals, and such feels less intuitive than vanilla transport tycoon, which is a shame. Money is a challenge in the campaign if you want to hit time goals. I'm overall reasonably satisfied with my purchase, which is an improvement over train fever.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It seems they did give the economy a major overhaul, to make it more interesting. I think they use a time/distance/fee function now, similar to Transport Tycoon, where different cargoes have different time sensitivity. They also mentioned somewhere that some passengers will prefer fast service and others will prefer cheap service, which will probably shake things up too.
But even just the fact that cities want far more cargo delivered, both in amounts and in variety, should make it more interesting than Train Fever.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

I just refunded it. I'd rather play C:Skylines, honestly. The abstracted "cities that don't really look like cities" thing that city builder fans have put up with for decades has been put to rest by C:S and I don't think I can go back to it again.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Honestly that's what has bothered me about Skylines too; the scale just felt off enough that I couldn't really buy into it. I don't know that there really is a city-builder/tycoon game that has gotten that right since like SC4.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The ui is somehow worse than transport tycoons

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
The food factory is really bugged. At some point they all stop using livestock causing your farms to stop producing them. The food production also seems to stall sometimes despite there being both supply and demand.
The food factory chain also seem unable to provide enough income, it barely covers my running costs, 3 trains loaded with 20 food each constantly running back and forth generate around 100k in profit each year.
It's really irritating that they fixed some really small things like adding catchment areas but ignore the big things things. And somehow the rail-building is even worse now, it constantly bugs out for me when trying to branch lines and build parallel lines.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 8, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I shipped rocks with trucks and construction materials to two cities and replaced the finished product roads with trains. Disaster. They ran at a loss and the industries severely cut production and one of my trains ran practically empty for no reason I could see.

Don't use ships. They are horrendously unprofitable. So slow and expensive.

Poil fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 9, 2016

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Athaboros posted:

Honestly that's what has bothered me about Skylines too; the scale just felt off enough that I couldn't really buy into it. I don't know that there really is a city-builder/tycoon game that has gotten that right since like SC4.

The roads are too big compared to the buildings, for sure, but zoom out and it totally looks like it could be a real place. SC4 _did_ nail scale in my opinion, and Region View could look pretty spot on, but the relentless grid that it forced you into broke the illusion up close (though its use of props to make things just seem diverse and "real-ish" remain unparalleled).

I'd still murder a basket of puppies for an SC4.5 that just added honest curved roads and allowed zones to snap to the road for facing. I would toss $60 at that so fast.

Or for SC5 to have a real engine built underneath it because I _did_ really like the art direction in that game, but the game itself sucked rocks.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKWRM8bhbRk

Alternate titles for this video:
roads: re-themed rails
yes, it is chugging
the sweet tune of the industrial revolution

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really want to get into this but despite getting a lot of fun out of train fever this just doesn't feel different enough and all the things that were bad before are still bad :(

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe
One of the nice things about OTTD was that you could make more general purpose rail and "hubs" on your stations, and use "smart" signals to direct traffic in an efficient manner (like for instance, you had an 8-platform station, incoming traffic would be directed to a platform that had room,) but it seems like they're still stuck with trains that want to travel a very specific path, so if only having one platform available for your line is a bottle neck, there's gently caress all you can do about it. "Ultimate transport management game" indeed :(

This is so disappointing.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Has anyone actually managed to turn a profit? If so, what did you deliver?
I tried 3 times on Easy last night but failed each time, I did only focus on the Farm->Food->City chain though but despite fully loaded trains just going back and forth I only made barely enough to cover the loan interest and running costs. My newest, most profitable, line would take 30 deliveries just to break even on the cost of the locomotive.
I'm seeing a lot of posts that people find the game impossible but I haven't found what they focus on.

Also there are bugs with production chains, the factories say they need 2 different things but they really only use 1, seems to be the same for all different kinds of factories, it is not only the food factory.

Also, in the US scenario the first locomotive costs $130,000 while the wagons themselves costs $208,000. In the European scenario they cost a more manageable €113,000 but it's still a huge cost compared to the locomotive.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe

TjyvTompa posted:

Has anyone actually managed to turn a profit? If so, what did you deliver?
I tried 3 times on Easy last night but failed each time, I did only focus on the Farm->Food->City chain though but despite fully loaded trains just going back and forth I only made barely enough to cover the loan interest and running costs. My newest, most profitable, line would take 30 deliveries just to break even on the cost of the locomotive.
I'm seeing a lot of posts that people find the game impossible but I haven't found what they focus on.

Also there are bugs with production chains, the factories say they need 2 different things but they really only use 1, seems to be the same for all different kinds of factories, it is not only the food factory.

Also, in the US scenario the first locomotive costs $130,000 while the wagons themselves costs $208,000. In the European scenario they cost a more manageable €113,000 but it's still a huge cost compared to the locomotive.

I'm making maybe a million a year on normal in 1900. My only really profitable line is passengers between two relatively close cities. I have two food lines that're bottle necked in several places running on deficits just to´create more traffic on the passenger line. The game is still grindy as gently caress.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

TjyvTompa posted:

That's not a bug, the | is used to inform you that you can supply either of the things. For example you can bring two wood or one steel to make one tool at the factory. :pseudo:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Poil posted:

That's not a bug, the | is used to inform you that you can supply either of the things. For example you can bring two wood or one steel to make one tool at the factory. :pseudo:

No it is most definitely a bug. You can deliver both livestock and grain to the food factory and it will use both. But after a couple of years it stops using livestock, no matter how much/little you deliver to it, and start using only grain. You can see this on the details tab of the factory, it will use both grain and livestock and then suddenly stop using livestock despite it being in stock.

It is always livestock it stops using too, it will always use grain.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I only got to play the tutorial and the first US campaign mission yesterday, and yeah that mission was actually exceedingly hard to make a profit in. I managed to turn $20k-30k profit a year on that initial grain route with 5 horse carriages, and definitely not set up a passenger train before connecting the third city. Basically the best profit I found on that was moving iron ore and tools, using the cheapest available locomotive. (Well the wagon costs and running costs still dwarf the cost of any loco.)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

TjyvTompa posted:

No it is most definitely a bug. You can deliver both livestock and grain to the food factory and it will use both. But after a couple of years it stops using livestock, no matter how much/little you deliver to it, and start using only grain. You can see this on the details tab of the factory, it will use both grain and livestock and then suddenly stop using livestock despite it being in stock.

It is always livestock it stops using too, it will always use grain.
Ah sorry. Yeah that sounds like a bug.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

nielsm posted:

I only got to play the tutorial and the first US campaign mission yesterday, and yeah that mission was actually exceedingly hard to make a profit in. I managed to turn $20k-30k profit a year on that initial grain route with 5 horse carriages, and definitely not set up a passenger train before connecting the third city. Basically the best profit I found on that was moving iron ore and tools, using the cheapest available locomotive. (Well the wagon costs and running costs still dwarf the cost of any loco.)

The problem is not to turn a profit, the problem is to turn a profit that you can use to expand. Everything I do makes a profit, it's just so extremely small. Like 3 trains constantly delivering food to a city only makes a total profit of 100k per year. A new loco costs 2.6 million, do the math.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I bought this on a whim since it looked like transport tycoon, and it kind of scratches the itch but not completely. Is it possible to set up relay-networks? I have a nice river I want to use to ship stone but the quarry is a bit too far from the river, so I set up a small truck route from a depot near the quarry to a depot near the harbor, like so:

But it doesn't work, the carts waiting to load stone never do and the quarry says "Line usage: no". Does it have to be one uninterrupted route?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The trains are ungodly expensive in this game it seems but my main issue with the early game is that the vehicles are so slow and carry so little it takes them a while to earn anything. I wish time moved a little slower in this game than what it does now, it seems the months pass so quickly it really eats into your savings before you can accomplish anything and you can have periods where you go very deep into debt then swing way into the green, which can really hamper your ability to grow. It took a few tries to get a feeling for the revamped economy here but on my 3rd game I have managed to get things going pretty well by 1880:

Every town here, except for El Paso and Moreno at the top is connected by rail - and now that I'm getting faster locos (the ones that go 60 km/h) my trains are starting to turn a faster profit. I am also starting to deliver fuel by truck and train. Burbank (far right) and Plano are connected via the river that has 2 ships running on it, turning a reliable $150K-$200K per year. Overall my company seems to be earning close to $2MM per year now and I'm better able to expand. Still takes a hella long time to be able to afford early trains though since a single piece of rolling stock can cost as much as a locomotive. Think they need some balancing there.

Passengers seem to be the way to go early on. The industries seem to have an issue where because they're scattered around and sometimes the various pieces of each chain aren't located near each other it can be very, very expensive to get one up and running. Money you may not have in the beginning. But if you were to only complete a piece of the chain you'll eventually screw yourself when the storage of whatever place you're delivering to fills up and you have nowhere to deliver the output. Just takes some playing around and some luck to get things located conveniently close to each other.

edit:

Koobze posted:

But it doesn't work, the carts waiting to load stone never do and the quarry says "Line usage: no". Does it have to be one uninterrupted route?
Goods can (and often will) move through multiple modes of transport, your layout below should work provided the industry has somewhere to deliver to at the end of the chain. It usually takes until the beginning of the next month for a factory to realize it has a connection though so you may just need more time. If it's not that, make sure whatever's on the end of the route accepts stone (a construction materials factory, usually).

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Nov 9, 2016

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Koobze posted:

I bought this on a whim since it looked like transport tycoon, and it kind of scratches the itch but not completely. Is it possible to set up relay-networks? I have a nice river I want to use to ship stone but the quarry is a bit too far from the river, so I set up a small truck route from a depot near the quarry to a depot near the harbor, like so:

There are a lot of people complaining that relay stations don't work. One thing you must do is to complete the chain, you can't just deliver stone to a factory, you must also deliver the goods from the factory to a city for it to work.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why is the vehicle AI so retarded? I put the depot next to the forest to load logs and set it up as the first stop in the list and yet the trucks NEVER head there first.
:byodood: Alright lads, let's all drive empty to the lumbermill first!

Koobze posted:

Is it still too far from the quarry if you put the port just left of the forest and connect with a road? It probably is. I've tried shipping on the rivers and while it is neat they're so narrow it causes some wonky sailing and ships really need full loads to make anything.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Poil posted:

Why is the vehicle AI so retarded? I put the depot next to the forest to load logs and set it up as the first stop in the list and yet the trucks NEVER head there first.
:byodood: Alright lads, let's all drive empty to the lumbermill first!

Is it still too far from the quarry if you put the port just left of the forest and connect with a road? It probably is. I've tried shipping on the rivers and while it is neat they're so narrow it causes some wonky sailing and ships really need full loads to make anything.

Trucks will try and split up and spread themselves out when you first release them from what I've seen. No point in having all the trucks try to pile into the depot at once only to have half of them drive around constantly empty because all the earlier trucks picked everything up already without leaving enough time for more cargo to show up.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Trucks will try and split up and spread themselves out when you first release them from what I've seen. No point in having all the trucks try to pile into the depot at once only to have half of them drive around constantly empty because all the earlier trucks picked everything up already without leaving enough time for more cargo to show up.

Nope, they always 100% of the time go to the last stop in the line, all of them.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I just earned the achievement for "Reach year 1900 without going bankrupt", by starting a new free game with starting year 1900.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I suspect it also works for the 1950 achievement. :v:

TjyvTompa posted:

Nope, they always 100% of the time go to the last stop in the line, all of them.
Yes, all the time. Buses might sometimes split but trucks never do.