Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Howdy everybody.
If you followed 12 Monkeys on SyFy last year you'll probably already know the season two premiere is Monday, April 18th!

This is the show's website, which is a great resource for following or getting caught up with the show, including webisodes and interviews with the cast.

You can even watch the Season Two premiere now.

This show was a lot of fun and I thought it was quite good. There's lots of time-travel fuckery so if you hate that you'll hate this show. It's not exactly a retelling of the movie, but it's a way better TV show adaptation than some crap like Under The Dome turned out to be.

Never watched it? You can watch the first season here.

If you're confused about the convoluted timeline it's explained in depth here.

It's a convoluted show that often left me wanting more, or being actually surprised by its plot twists. For a SyFy show, it's quite good!

For refreshers on what's happened and who everyone is (as far as we know) go to the site. It's very informative and a great resource!

Edit: Thank you kind person who fixed my thread title!

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
This is a Good Show. Glad it's almost back!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I definitely need to review S1, people I thought were dead are back for S2.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Agreed, I think like Game of Thrones everyone would benefit from a re-watch of (the previous season) S1 because, much like the movie upon which it's based, it will mess with your head.

And I agree it really is a Good Show.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I didn't know! But now I do! Yay!

I don't know if I'll have time to rewatch Season 1, but I'm sure I'll be fine, how confusing could it be??

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Game of Thrones is difficult in two very dense ways: Plots within plots within plots, and a gigantic cast that defies non-book-readers to even figure out whom this person or that person is or how their family ties drive them.

12 Monkeys is difficult because, like the movie, each time Cole is sent back to do something for a mission it fundamentally changes the plot landscape. They've been QUITE savvy at making these changes everything from major unexpected changes in the entire power balance to simple "reset button" and exposing the lengths major characters are willing to go to achieve concerns that change with the time-travel.

So... drat confusing but if you liked the movie you'll probably enjoy the ride.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Regy Rusty posted:

I didn't know! But now I do! Yay!

I don't know if I'll have time to rewatch Season 1, but I'm sure I'll be fine, how confusing could it be??

If you find yourself sitting down and going "Man, gently caress time travel" at any point just think of it as empathizing with the main cast, 90% of whom are sitting down and going "Man, gently caress time travel" at any given moment.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Watched the first episode last week. loving great start.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Rocksicles posted:

Watched the first episode last week. loving great start.

I've seen it too and mostly agree though the last scene made me roll my eyes a bit.
According to the season preview though, It looks like that little wrinkle gets ironed out pretty quickly- the standoff between Cole and whatshername

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

pahuyuth posted:

I've seen it too and mostly agree though the last scene made me roll my eyes a bit.
According to the season preview though, It looks like that little wrinkle gets ironed out pretty quickly- the standoff between Cole and whatshername

yeah, that part was terrible

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
"It took time travel to create time travel. There are no straight lines." -Atari

Really throw the causality of things we might think to be true out the window.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like they screened 8 of the 13 episodes for critics and it is still a good show. Excited for the premiere!

Season 2 trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwRJ3fol1J0

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Hell yes time-travelling bitches! Watch this poo poo tonight!

I really like this show :cheers:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I skipped watching the premiere online so I could enjoy this in real-time.

VERY happy to read that the critics are mostly pleased with the new season.

43 minutes to go (for 9pm EDT), I am excited. With Game of Thrones next Sunday, my work schedule (Sun-Mon off) is going to be fun!

See you Monkeys after the show! Spread the word!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I really appreciated the little recap at the beginning

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm surprised they didn't just do a hand wave away of Ramse's hand and instead he's just wearing a fingerless glove.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just want to say that Hue light integration with the show will never not be awesome.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
A few too many "has someone at gunpoint and listens to them talk instead of shooting" moments, but Cole immediately offing the guy who betrayed Ramse made up for it. Good setup for the rest of the season, with the half-dozen people traveling through to who knows where. That disintegration death in the machine was brutal.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
This is still a Fun and Good show. Love the Cole and Ramse banter.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cole and Ramse 4-Ever. :allears:

So if Jennifer is going to release the virus in NYC, why did she travel all over the world on her jet last year with suitcases of Stuff?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Kirk Acevedo can do no wrong IMO but put with him with Aaron Stanford (I miss Nikita!) and it's just beautiful. Love the chemistry between those two!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Astroman posted:

Cole and Ramse 4-Ever. :allears:

So if Jennifer is going to release the virus in NYC, why did she travel all over the world on her jet last year with suitcases of Stuff?

She could've been setting things up in various places, or maybe she's just crazy as gently caress.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The premiere was pretty good. Gonna try to stay on top of this instead of falling 10 months behind like I did with season 1.

edit: Finally got around to watching the 12 Monkeys movie. It was probably a good move to wait until after season 1.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 20, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My DVR cut off as Cole and Reilly were pointing guns at each other. Did I miss anything?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

My DVR cut off as Cole and Reilly were pointing guns at each other. Did I miss anything?

I loaded up the episode on demand because the same thing happened to me, and no. Just a wide angle shot of the two of them pointing guns and looking distressed, then credits.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

edit: Finally got around to watching the 12 Monkeys movie. It was probably a good move to wait until after season 1.

Yeah, it probably was. I loved the movie and have seen it multiple times over the years, and it made it hard for me to get into the first few episodes of the first season, as I couldn't help but unfairly compare it to the movie. I probably hadn't seen the movie for at least 5 years before the show too, I can only imagine watching it right before making it harder not to just let the show do it's own thing and win you over.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Tortolia posted:

I loaded up the episode on demand because the same thing happened to me, and no. Just a wide angle shot of the two of them pointing guns and looking distressed, then credits.

Thanks, that's what I expected.

Episode was a little disappointing, I don't feel the writing was the same quality as S1. I always admired Cole's laser-like focus on the mission but it goes out the window when he sees Jennifer.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Finally found out who the half-corpse in the glass tube was. lol

So the other 6 that got sent back are carriers and sent to who knows where, can't wait to find out!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

savinhill posted:

Yeah, it probably was. I loved the movie and have seen it multiple times over the years, and it made it hard for me to get into the first few episodes of the first season, as I couldn't help but unfairly compare it to the movie. I probably hadn't seen the movie for at least 5 years before the show too, I can only imagine watching it right before making it harder not to just let the show do it's own thing and win you over.
I'd really like Cole to briefly travel through the machine and wake up in a sepia-toned prison with a globe of TVs looking at him, then he's pulled back and continues on his way. It'd be fun to think the show was semi-canon but an alternate timeline.

MariusLecter posted:

So the other 6 that got sent back are carriers and sent to who knows where, can't wait to find out!
By the way one was dressed it looked like they were going prehistoric, which could be really interesting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The preview showed the female member of the 12 in the 20s.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Watched X-2 for the first time in years last night, and realized that Pyro was played by Aaron Stanford.

clockworks
Apr 3, 2011
The season two premiere did really poor in the ratings. http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/syfy-tv-show-ratings-updated-33879/

Like I don't understand how almost every other show on the network is doing better than it. I hope its just because they released that episode a few weeks early online. This is the worst kind of show to be canceled without an ending.

Given how well the critics received the second season and how good the premiere was, I can see it picking up.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
It's probably the two week premiere lead that dropped the ratings. The show is well received last I checked. I doubt it'll get cancelled at all, this is SyFy we're talking about. This is one of their better shows. I mean I guess they raised the bar by having The Expanse and Childhood's End and all that but I doubt they're gonna ride all their luck on The Expanse.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
And we open with a re-arrangement of the first episode monologue

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Huge change to the timeline, but what are the implications? Well:
Holy loving poo poo! Colonel Tigh and Dr. Jones?!
Ramses saving Deacon's mother from her murderous husband?
Cassie has gone so hardcore.
Jennifer gets Cole brought back to the new 2044.

As in the movie, I have never so much enjoyed time-travel fuckery. I think next week's episode is going to be great (although, to be fair, this week's was pretty goddamn huge on its own.)

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Another solid ep though its kinda wild to have everyone in 2044.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This episode is sick! i'm up to the skip.

So drat good! Cassie is crushing it as Action Girl.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 26, 2016

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I actually really loved Cole's reasoning at the end there with Cassie.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

ShakeZula posted:

I actually really loved Cole's reasoning at the end there with Cassie.

Show's really good about nailing those human connection type moments. The scene where Cole basically tells Jennifer to go live for herself was also really touching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Tokubetsu posted:

Show's really good about nailing those human connection type moments. The scene where Cole basically tells Jennifer to go live for herself was also really touching.
This is pretty much exactly why I love this show. It also pretty much nails the entire sci-fi gobbledygook time travel rules (whatever they are, they seem internally consistent to me). I'm sure the show would've been fine just being time travel stunts for most of its existence but I'm glad it's also just a flat out strong character show. I mean sometimes the show doesn't even really rely on the time travel aspect and it still shines.

• Locked thread