Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

smdh just ditch that poo poo already! a 500gb 5400rmp drive on a core i7 = gently caress u idiot!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
lol what manufacturer made that stupid one. sounds like you opted for the bargain model, op

i was p perplexed in 2013 when i bought a lenovo laptop that literally had a spinny optical drive tho

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just had to
pull
a 2008 lappy
out to plug into a projector coz
of course the imac air has no relevant video outputs

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
myt laptop has both because I like carrying around all my filez with me w/o depending on internet

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

echinopsis posted:

I just had to
pull
a 2008 lappy

hd15 needs to die

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

indigi posted:

myt laptop has both because I like carrying around all my filez with me w/o depending on internet

get a chromebook

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
because chintzy lovely companies still need to supply their employees with chintzy lovely garbage

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

echinopsis posted:

I just had to
pull
a 2008 lappy

I have an old ATV2 plugged into our projector at work so I can just AirPlay my MBA's screen instead of dealing with wires like some loving caveman.

wires, lmao, get a load of this guy

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
IM THE WHIRRING AND A CLICK

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
*tries jamming vga cord into hdmi port, shits self when it doesn't work

THERE'S GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I have an old ATV2 plugged into our projector at work so I can just AirPlay my MBA's screen instead of dealing with wires like some loving caveman.

wires, lmao, get a load of this guy

i do this w/ a chromecast and some funky box that transcodes or whatever hdmi into vga and vice versa its p drat deece

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
VGA is cool

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Smythe posted:

i do this w/ a chromecast and some funky box that transcodes or whatever hdmi into vga and vice versa its p drat deece

ya, however you do it is fine, just thinking of dis guy fumblerooski'ing with some wires, loving lol, just el oh el

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Wires need to gently caress off. YOSPOS Bitch! :fuckoff: :c00l:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
actually, I like wires. the more shielding the better

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

actually, I like wires. the more shielding the better

Too hosed up for YOSPOS!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

I just had to
pull
a 2008 lappy

you either need a $6 adapter or get a rmbp that comes with hdmi

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its needs vga out you scrub

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

echinopsis posted:

its needs vga out you scrub

ok so a $12 adapter then

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

lol if you dont get a new 8k projector every quarter because your employer is recklessly trying to drink from a firehose of capital

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

cause more gigs = better than

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

local it dept told me we have a global company wide policy to outlaw ssds, but they're coming standard on all the laptops we've been buying in the past few years so we pay extra money to remove the ssds and replace them with spinny drives :waycool:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fart simpson posted:

local it dept told me we have a global company wide policy to outlaw ssds, but they're coming standard on all the laptops we've been buying in the past few years so we pay extra money to remove the ssds and replace them with spinny drives :waycool:

sever

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the reason we have that policy is because our entire "backup system" for critical files is hard drive failure data recovery

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
because allegedly poors need computers too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MancXVI posted:

ok so a $12 adapter then

she found it one. it worked. I went to the PR event tonight. I drank and chatted up cougars. drat it was a goo night

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

fart simpson posted:

the reason we have that policy is because our entire "backup system" for critical files is hard drive failure data recovery

adults decided this

neato

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

fart simpson posted:

My company's data backup policy is a backup partition... on the same drive

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
my company's backup policy is... who cares

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yard salad posted:

My company's data backup policy is a backup partition... on the same drive

:q:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

fart simpson posted:

fart simpson posted:

lmffffaaaaaaaoooooo

my company has some vaguely similar thoughts here and there regarding SSDs, but i think being cheap and slow to change are the main factors in most of our computers still having spinning rust.

apparently there is also some stupid poo poo in the defense world where if there is a classified data leak, conventional hard drives can be "scrubbed" somehow but with SSDs there is no DOD certified process to clean them...so if you've got an SSD involved in a leak it has to be destroyed! hope you got backups somewhere, fucko! that's what i've heard anyway, and i suspect there is a lot of bullshit here because for some reason a shocking amount of people involved in security have zero loving IT knowledge outside of skimming a copy of "Sam's Teach Yourself COMPTIA A+ in 24 Hours: Abridged Edition"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

lmffffaaaaaaaoooooo

my company has some vaguely similar thoughts here and there regarding SSDs, but i think being cheap and slow to change are the main factors in most of our computers still having spinning rust.

apparently there is also some stupid poo poo in the defense world where if there is a classified data leak, conventional hard drives can be "scrubbed" somehow but with SSDs there is no DOD certified process to clean them...so if you've got an SSD involved in a leak it has to be destroyed! hope you got backups somewhere, fucko! that's what i've heard anyway, and i suspect there is a lot of bullshit here because for some reason a shocking amount of people involved in security have zero loving IT knowledge outside of skimming a copy of "Sam's Teach Yourself COMPTIA A+ in 24 Hours: Abridged Edition"

there could be some truth to it, every disk wipe software I've been looking at comes with a disclaimer about SSDs, don't know how much is bullshit though

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

SSD controllers do a lot of crazy poo poo

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

the amount of hearsay and smoke-and-mirrors bullshit in data recovery/wiping/forensics kind of stuff is staggering

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

the amount of hearsay and smoke-and-mirrors bullshit in data recovery/wiping/forensics kind of stuff is staggering

desperation does crazy things to otherwise rational people

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

:canada: our declassification instructions used to be very weird and kind of bad, but now they're only kind of weird https://www.cse-cst.gc.ca/en/node/270/html/10572

FDE is now an alternative to sanitizing, which is nice, and it claims that an end-to-end write is good enough to declassify eeproms (it used to say there was no way to declassify them short of destruction). that's a nice update, even if it doesn't matter too much in my world because there's no way to completely overwrite all of the rewritable storage space on an iphone, so if you expose it to protected or classified info i'm still destroying it :black101:

it still makes serious mention of things like triple-overwriting before shredding, which makes me wonder if there has ever even been an attempt to reassemble a shredded platter and read something from it?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

can't you just zoom and enhance the datas

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

flakeloaf posted:

FDE is now an alternative to sanitizing, which is nice, and it claims that an end-to-end write is good enough to declassify eeproms (it used to say there was no way to declassify them short of destruction). that's a nice update, even if it doesn't matter too much in my world because there's no way to completely overwrite all of the rewritable storage space on an iphone, so if you expose it to protected or classified info i'm still destroying it :black101:

an iPhone is FDE by default. hitting the "erase all content and settings" button throws away the media key so everything in the user partition is gone, even stuff that got moved out to the reserve blocks table or is otherwise unreachable from the normal file system. no need to shred

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the only proper response to a laptop with a hard drive is to throw it on the ground as hard as you loving can, do a 360 and moonwalk out of there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The Management posted:

an iPhone is FDE by default. hitting the "erase all content and settings" button throws away the media key so everything in the user partition is gone, even stuff that got moved out to the reserve blocks table or is otherwise unreachable from the normal file system. no need to shred

If the E doesn't meet federal standards I'm crunching it. Don't plug your personal crap into defense networks maybe

I do feel bad for the ones who just screwed up and are genuinely sorry, but after the fourth or fifth detection on the same user :shrug:

• Locked thread