Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I really hope this series isn't going to be just 3 episode arcs of him getting in a new situation and getting murdered, then trying to fix the problem before dying again, and then having him solve the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

HenryEx posted:

Feels weird to spend so many words "defending" this show when the last episode was so boring and disappointing to me. I don't care for the two maids at all, or really any of the mansion denizens. The only thing that keeps me coming back after the first 3 episode arc are the episode endings
Death to moe garbage

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I mean it says moe dark souls right in the thread title, maybe you guys will be more successful in your next loop

*unsheaths katana*

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

OneDeadman posted:

I really hope this series isn't going to be just 3 episode arcs of him getting in a new situation and getting murdered, then trying to fix the problem before dying again, and then having him solve the problem.

It probably will become *5* episode arcs of him getting in a new situation and getting murdered, then trying to fix the problem before dying again, and then having him solve the problem.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Fellis posted:

I mean it says moe dark souls right in the thread title, maybe you guys will be more successful in your next loop

*unsheaths katana*

There's better dex build weapons, like the great scythe.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Raenir Salazar posted:

There's better dex build weapons, like the great scythe.

the great scythe is about as effective as the protagonist is at coming up with clever plans

(in DS3 anyways)

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

OneDeadman posted:

I do

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Anyways? Any bets on who the mysterious attacker is? Since they are hiding him/her it has to be one of the characters recently introduced so we have.

a) Fabulous host
b) Drillhair
c) Smaller boobs twin
d) Superior twin
e) That dog

Fabulous host would be too obvious a villain and I don't see drillhair or the dog using a flail so it has to be one of the twins. But why? Because he discovered they are some sort of demon?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
It feels like of all the possibilities, red twin is the most likely. I think that Noble McFabulous ordered his death for some reason on the first loop, and then on the second loop the way that he was kind of undermining her relationship with blue twin could give her some motivation. I think resolving this loop is going to be entirely non-combat on his part; there isn't anybody in the mansion that he could kill and not have horrible future consequences, even if it's self-defense. It's less about how he's dying and more about why he's dying.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
My guess is that one of the maids put poison in the food in an attempt to kill everyone. There's obviously a conspiracy going after Emilia. From the start, the insignia getting stolen was a ploy to lure her into a trap where she could be easily killed. Otherwise, Felt and the old guy wouldn't have been dead on the first loop, the disembowler would have paid them off and been long gone--we know she had the money. Instead she killed them (almost certainly to cover her tracks) and waited patiently for Emilia to show up so she could murk her.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
^If it's any of the characters we've actually seen they've got a hell of a strong right arm to knock him all the way down the corridor like they did.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the great scythe is about as effective as the protagonist is at coming up with clever plans

(in DS3 anyways)
RIP dead angles.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

A jargogle posted:

^If it's any of the characters we've actually seen they've got a hell of a strong right arm to knock him all the way down the corridor like they did.

RIP dead angles.

It's anime, skinny waifish maids are always strong as hell in anime.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

this show is ok but i liked it better when it was in the town and not in the mansion with all these dumb characters. the town characters were better and it had some political intrigue and now its just i dunno

its ceiling was set pretty low when the dude was like MAKE ME A BUTLER and then an hour later someone was like that was pretty stupid you could have jsut been a permanent guest of the home and then he still goes and makes himself a butler the next day for no apparent reason

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Super No Vacancy posted:

its ceiling was set pretty low when the dude was like MAKE ME A BUTLER and then an hour later someone was like that was pretty stupid you could have jsut been a permanent guest of the home and then he still goes and makes himself a butler the next day for no apparent reason

But there is an apparent reason -- he wants to reenact the previous attempt so he can predict when his death will occur, and stop it from happening. If he starts making different choices, nobody knows how things will end up.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
can someone get subaru a speedwagon who can explain subaru's actions and thoughts in excruciating detail so no one keeps missing subaru's internal justifications for what he's doing

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I think this thread is stuck in a loop of repeating the same arguments and counterarguments over and over. Let's discuss how we should have posted to avoid this.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 6, 2016

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

darkgray posted:

But there is an apparent reason -- he wants to reenact the previous attempt so he can predict when his death will occur, and stop it from happening. If he starts making different choices, nobody knows how things will end up.

It's still a horrible reason, he should have asked to be a permanent house guest because it would at least given him time to investigate what the gently caress was going to kill him, especially since he failed to notice that everything already changed the second the maids dialogue was different when he woke up.

It's the tv trope where a person in a movie doesn't know any tropes. In this case, the protagonist doesn't know the butterfly effect trope: one tiny change in the past will change everything everything in the future. Which is sad considering he's already experienced the trope several times now.

Also, trope trope trope.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

how is cause and effect a trope

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Furthermore, it's easy to say from an outsider point of view and after the fact that someone isn't genry savvy. There's simply no way to know the degree the story world conforms to a given preconception of how it should work.

For example, you're talking about butterfly effect but how small does it have to be? Perhaps Subaru could have retraced his steps if he had simply not freaked out. Perhaps it's not possible in this world. Or it's possible that each time the world loops, even though the people don't notice, there's a small trace left so that their actions are different. It's even possible that this world is extremely malicious and genre savvy types who want to try to game the system get increasingly bad results (in which case, Subaru's method is much better than yours).

There's an entire spectrum of possibility here and it's not a given that any blase response would work either.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

ChronoReverse posted:

For example, you're talking about butterfly effect but how small does it have to be? Perhaps Subaru could have retraced his steps if he had simply not freaked out. Perhaps it's not possible in this world. Or it's possible that each time the world loops, even though the people don't notice, there's a small trace left so that their actions are different. It's even possible that this world is extremely malicious and genre savvy types who want to try to game the system get increasingly bad results (in which case, Subaru's method is much better than yours).

Except the the protagonist comes from our universe specifically so that the viewer can sympathize with him being in an unknown and alien world. And he should be a least a little genre savvy because he comments on other common tropes when he recognizes them, but for some reason he can't grasp the butterfly effect (which is interpreted as the smallest thing changing all events after it, aka stepping on a butterfly killed off the dinosaurs).

Your suggestion that the story's universe could have a different interpretation of the trope is fine, except for the fact that he isn't applying our universe's version first, considering he came from 'our' world.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Thor-Stryker posted:

Except the the protagonist comes from our universe specifically so that the viewer can sympathize with him being in an unknown and alien world. And he should be a least a little genre savvy because he comments on other common tropes when he recognizes them, but for some reason he can't grasp the butterfly effect (which is interpreted as the smallest thing changing all events after it, aka stepping on a butterfly killed off the dinosaurs).

Your suggestion that the story's universe could have a different interpretation of the trope is fine, except for the fact that he isn't applying our universe's version first, considering he came from 'our' world.

But he IS applying that. For some reason you insist on using western tropes rather than the tropes he's familiar with and using. He's a Japanese shut-in, so what is he going to use? Western literature concepts of butterfly effects, or the Japanese visual novel concept of Routes? Since he's using the visual novel metaphor of routes, doing different things at Decision Points will lead you down different Routes. He figured that the first real Decision Point would be the choice of reward, He wasn't necessarily wrong. The flavour of the route was different, but still ended with him dying that night, presumably for the same reason to the same assailant.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Thor-Stryker posted:

What is our universe's version? We haven't even seen if butterfly effect is in play because he's reacted rather differently each time he restarted. Enough that the loop could be different even without butterfly effect.

A true butterfly effect loop would mean that even slightly different breathing could change things significantly but there hasn't been any proof that this is the case either.

The fact that we can have a debate about this even with this much time means that we can't put an unreasonable expectation on Subaru, who has had less time to sit and think about this as well as obviously being a less thinky type of person.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I think that butler-ing is actually more effective for figuring out what's going on than being a guest would be. He has more free time as a guest, sure, but he has very little that he can actually do with it in that situation--Emilia is busy studying, following the twins around is going to be basically a no-go, Beatrice isn't going to tolerate him hanging around for longer than he already is, and I don't think he can get anything useful out of FabClown. I think that long-term, that also ingratiates him to everyone a whole lot less, which is crucial for getting past this.

This way, he's maximizing his interaction with the twins, still has reasonable opportunity to speak with Beatrice and Whatsisname, and is picking up skills that are probably going to serve him well going forward.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Also a good point. Also, imagine that he gets to stay as a house guest, no one has time to talk to him because they're all doing their stuff, and for some reason, no one kills him, so the world doesn't reset. Now he's still on the route of no social capital, and no skills. Obviously he doesn't want to die, but butlering does generate a lot more social capital and improves his skillset a lot more than being a free house guest

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Super No Vacancy posted:

darkgray posted:

Yeah! If he tries something different, his dumb rear end might not die!!

Jackard fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 6, 2016

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Jackard posted:

Yeah! If he tries something different, his dumb rear end might not die!!

His primary concern isn't just avoiding death, it's getting closer to Emilia, as has been established from the very first episode. If all he wanted was to stay alive, he could simply run away from that crazy shop of abdominal surgery in the beginning. Since he seemed to have a good thing going with the moonlight conversation, he was probably hoping to reach the same place again this time, but screwed it up at some point, and ended up with goddamn rabies or something instead.

I don't really know how familiar the Japanese audience is with ~butterfly effects~, but it's possible that the author is trying to introduce a largely ignorant readership to that very concept with this arc. It's the first time Subaru is faced with a reset after properly realizing what was going on, and at a glance it seems reasonable to think "If I do the same things again, the same outcome will be reached!" to some degree. It's not even like anyone's ever tested the Butterfly Effect theory, because how many times do real people loop in time? Relying absolutely on sci-fi tropes being true seems a bit foolish.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

this thread is weird

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

On a non-strategy discussion note, the sound direction in this is really nice. That sort of chorus "hah" sound that plays when he gets a flashback to something or realizes that he's looped is so good for communicating what he must be feeling.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Super No Vacancy posted:

this thread is weird

Maybe if we kill it, it'll loop back around with different choices.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

a kitten posted:

Maybe if we kill it, it'll loop back around with different choices.

Unless we're the MC then we'll just keep trying to do the same thing.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Unless we're the MC then we'll just keep trying to do the same thing.

And when you expect different results: the definition of insanity.

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001
He just needs to gather the group to do their summer homework together and the time loop will be broken.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Just finished the first three episodes and the quality of this show is something else. Easily my favorite anime this year so far.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
On genre-savvyness: the MC tried being genre-savvy the entire first two or three episodes long. He was always wrong and got killed.
Also there's a lot of tropes regarding time travel. For every Butterfly Effect story, there's another one a la Final Destination where time tries to correct itself towards a certain outcome whenever it's changed. He simply can't know what kind of story he's in, even if tropes tropes tropes tropes tropes

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Good episode, confirmed a lot of theories about the MC's choices this arc

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I love that this episode addressed like 90% of the speculation/argumentative posts from the last two weeks

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, now that he knows suspects it's an outside attacker and has at least an idea of what he's looking for, he drops the "retrace my steps" shtick immediately and goes for the permanent house guest route.

He's not as dumb as people made him out to be. He even cottoned on to the theory from a previous oster that this is all about Emilia / a political assassin like in the first arc, which i hadn't thought about until it was mentioned here.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Erg posted:

I love that this episode addressed like 90% of the speculation/argumentative posts from the last two weeks

I love shows that seem to mirror the speculation of the watching threads, it really makes us engaged and invested.

Odds on MC dying right then and there? He's surprised by it being Rem, so he might drop his guard because tropes demand it; but mainly because the last arc seemed to clearly point out that in order to survive he needs to have his support network there with him and he doesn't have that here, Emilia isn't there with him and neither is the magic girl.

On the other hand if there's a moment to bring out all of his knowledge and turn it around, it's now.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I'm mainly curious if depending on which sister he gives attention to, it'll be the opposite who ends up coming after him for whatever reason it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Red maid, best maid.

Curious to see how this plays out now, so good job with the cliffhanger. I'm still mulling over the various Red Ogre, Blue Ogre story might relate.

• Locked thread