Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Oh wow this show knows how to suck you in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001

Raenir Salazar posted:

Oh wow this show knows how to suck you in.

It is Groundhog Day, The Anime.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

MagicBoots posted:

I think he was murdered in his sleep.

Nah, he has an undiagnosed heart condition. He is like the hobo in Groundhog's Day, impossible to save. He is doomed to repeat the same 5 days over and over again.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So puck dropped what I think is an interesting bombshell: Puck stated he can read Subaru's mind. and doesn't seem to ask any questions.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

So puck dropped what I think is an interesting bombshell: Puck stated he can read Subaru's mind. and doesn't seem to ask any questions.

The way Puck just listed off emotions makes me think it's more of an impressions thing than straight lifting out knowledge and thoughts

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

red hair maid killed him in his sleep on the orders of clown man

she's bad at chores and cooking, so her real job is ganking fools. calling it now

Grausherra
Jul 15, 2007

Look into my eyes...
Really glad that the manga and light novels actually got licensed for this even before the anime started.
I was positively surprised they actually picked and got Takehito Koyasu as the fruity noble.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Subaru should attempt to make Emilia believe in his time loop "powers" now that it's clear he doesn't always go back to the very beginning, which probably wouldn't sound too far fetched in this universe.
If he makes it to the next "checkpoint" and she knows about the time loop it would help a lot.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Cake Attack posted:

red hair maid killed him in his sleep on the orders of clown man

she's bad at chores and cooking, so her real job is ganking fools. calling it now

Yeah, it seemed pretty obvious from the nature of their dialogue that Subaru was being evaluated as a potential spy from the other factions.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Enjoying the show so far.

While I thought the MC should've figured out his ability sooner, I personally would have actively sought any other different possible explanation first to the point of cognitive dissonance. And even if I've accepted it, I'd also, like the MC, decide not to rely on it as much as possible.

There's no virtual HUD telling you how many uses you have left or if anything can short-circuit this process. For all we know, it might only work 9 times or if you're inside a magical shield then it doesn't work. Without knowing the rules clearly, relying on a death mechanism is asking for trouble (and that doesn't even take into account the pain of dying).

Since the MC is genre savvy, I'd like for him to exploit and find out as much as he can about his ability though.

I'm also quite a fan of Emilia and Puck so far.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 27, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
It's easy to say "experiment with your ability" since, well, it's just a story, but i have my doubts that you'd be too experimentation-happy with an ability that has your death as a prerequisite.
Especially if you know jack about it, every death you "intentionally" trigger could be your last because you don't know the exact conditions it operates under.

Keeping in mind how many things and expectations the MC was wrong about since he came to that world, it's probably better for him not to assume anything about his ability.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
"Am I going back in time when I die? Let me throw myself off this cliff to check."

Would be rather embarrassing final words.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

HenryEx posted:

It's easy to say "experiment with your ability" since, well, it's just a story, but i have my doubts that you'd be too experimentation-happy with an ability that has your death as a prerequisite.
Especially if you know jack about it, every death you "intentionally" trigger could be your last because you don't know the exact conditions it operates under.

Keeping in mind how many things and expectations the MC was wrong about since he came to that world, it's probably better for him not to assume anything about his ability.

Not to mention that you never know what abilities someone else might have for the sake of counteracting your own.

If your opponent has something that allows him to set your respawn point to a cart hurtling off a cliff, your return-by-death becomes a lot less useful.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

But what happens to the rest of the world when Subaru dies?

Also, this Emilia is far better than the other Emilia this season.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

HenryEx posted:

Yeah, that's precisely what I was getting at. With that said, MC should still note down everything he can (mentally) when he does trigger his ability.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ChronoReverse posted:

Yeah, that's precisely what I was getting at. With that said, MC should still note down everything he can (mentally) when he does trigger his ability.

Besides the searing pain of death and the fear that this time it won't work out?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

nielsm posted:

Also, this Emilia is far better than the other Emilia this season.

I always ask myself that whenever there's time loop stories.

I can only think of one anime that actually answered that question - the Higurashi series, which actually shows each and every time loop continues on to be its own world, where almost the entire city died and the few survivors are horribly broken and traumatized, which kinda makes the whole concept a lot more nightmarish

Screw that. I want a story with somebody on the receiving end of a time loop. Events repeat over and over, and someone realizes this and tries to escape, but they just can't because they aren't the one controlling the loop. So the entire story is basically them desparately trying to stop someone, who can just reset and undo everything on a whim. So they gotta trick the "hero" or something while falling into despair from being inevitably outmaneuvered by what might as well be a god.

Coincidentally, I really really really really really like Endless Eight and Another One Bites The Dust

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Torquemadras posted:

I can only think of one anime that actually answered that question - the Higurashi series, which actually shows each and every time loop continues on to be its own world, where almost the entire city died and the few survivors are horribly broken and traumatized, which kinda makes the whole concept a lot more nightmarish

Screw that. I want a story with somebody on the receiving end of a time loop. Events repeat over and over, and someone realizes this and tries to escape, but they just can't because they aren't the one controlling the loop. So the entire story is basically them desparately trying to stop someone, who can just reset and undo everything on a whim. So they gotta trick the "hero" or something while falling into despair from being inevitably outmaneuvered by what might as well be a god.

Coincidentally, I really really really really really like Endless Eight and Another One Bites The Dust

Didn't Monogatari S2 do the "receiving end of a time loop" thing in one of its arcs?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

Besides the searing pain of death and the fear that this time it won't work out?

?

I specifically said he should avoid using the ability as much as possible. But when it does happen, doesn't it make sense to try to note all the ramifications so as to avoid any assumptions?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

HenryEx posted:

Also, repeatedly going through something terrible does not, contrary to popular belief, make it easier. If anything it makes you more mentally averse to the terrible thing as you become more familiar with it (since it becomes easy to vividly remember how terrible the experience is).

Cobalt Zeroni
Feb 15, 2015

Torquemadras posted:

Undertale does something like this on its darker paths, although the player's not controlling the person on the recieving end.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Torquemadras posted:

Screw that. I want a story with somebody on the receiving end of a time loop. Events repeat over and over, and someone realizes this and tries to escape, but they just can't because they aren't the one controlling the loop.

There is a fan favorite Stargate SG-1 episode that does this, although in the end it still works out being an every-ten-hours reset anyway.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

I can only think of one anime that actually answered that question - the Higurashi series,

Screw that. I want a story with somebody on the receiving end of a time loop. Events repeat over and over, and someone realizes this and tries to escape, but they just can't because they aren't the one controlling the loop.

But Higurashi already does that...from Rika's point of view

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Torquemadras posted:

There's an Animesque board game called "Looper" that sounds kinda similar.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Kytrarewn posted:

Didn't Monogatari S2 do the "receiving end of a time loop" thing in one of its arcs?

I don't think so? Not sure. The only arc that I can think of coming close is the one where they travel back in time to save snail girl from her own death, inadvertently causing the zombie apocalypse in their own present, but I don't think there was a time loop involved? I don't know, there's roughly a billion -monogatari episodes out there...

Cobalt Zeroni posted:

Undertale does something like this on its darker paths, although the player's not controlling the person on the recieving end.

This is a perfect example, though (assuming you're talking about Sans. I was actually thinking of Undertale too, albeit with a much smaller time loop: the fight against Flowey, where he literally reverts to his own savestates constantly to gently caress you over.

Tamba posted:

But Higurashi already does that...from Rika's point of view

Not quite - after all, Rika's death is always what triggers the time jump, even if technically it's not her doing it... She's not a "victim" of someone else resetting time, she WANTS to reset time until she gets it right.

Still, this seems like an aspect of time travel stories that doesn't get covered a lot. Timejumping either destroys entire universes, or it leaves a shitload of "failed" timelines in its wake. I mean, destroying the universes you jump away from doesn't seem THAT bad if there's only one version of everyone anyway, but the failed timelines? Just imagine the countless worlds where Bill Murray committed suicide for no apparent reason, and these worlds just continue. :stare: An infinite array of Murrays, hosed over because some other Murray's tired consciousness happened to crash into their timeline. Kinda makes the eventual good ending in these stories terrifying when you realize how many failures it's build upon.
I guess the Zero Escape series counts as anime, if we're looking for timejumping shenanigans taken much further than usual?

What I'm saying is, we need Primer as anime.
Don't even start with Steins;Gate, I'm not a fan

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Forgot about the new webisode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMxAFOf9YEI

Grausherra
Jul 15, 2007

Look into my eyes...

nielsm posted:

:siren:LN/WN Spoilers:siren:
It is revealed to him later that the world keeps on going despite him dying, meaning that when he is the only one to die there will be people sad about it

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I hope he was killed in his sleep by red and has to figure that out. I'm really liking this arc where his survival isn't so obvious and that the checkpoint is over a longer timespan.

The OP is good too

Raenir Salazar posted:

There's an Animesque board game called "Looper" that sounds kinda similar.

Yeah, it's called Tragedy Looper and its drat good. It's a pretty good emulation of this genre because there are usually multiple failure states so the protags sometimes have to do crazy poo poo to figure them all out. There was a play-by-post thread of the first puzzle here, but i think it got eaten by by the server crashes.

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001
So this episode had a rather explosive ending.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
They sure know how to end episodes.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The maids definitely are cute, but I would have liked more Emilia and Puck, and Beatrice. The ending seems to hint that the killer is the same crazy woman as last time. Hopefully Barusu will try to ally himself with Beatice, and perhaps Puck, for the next attempt.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

nielsm posted:

The maids definitely are cute, but I would have liked more Emilia and Puck, and Beatrice. The ending seems to hint that the killer is the same crazy woman as last time. Hopefully Barusu will try to ally himself with Beatice, and perhaps Puck, for the next attempt.

I don't think so. It sounded like some big weapon was being dragged along the floor, not a dagger. And it took an arm off instead of aiming for his bowels

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I would have missed that ending if not for the comments here.

Also, :wtc:

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
This was a really fun episode. The characterisation is consistently solid and his despair at the start in particular felt very real.

I didn't anticipate it but it made a lot of sense to me when one of the twins was so pleased that Subaru praised demons. Red Oni, Blue Oni, and all that.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
:catstare:

Subaru sure gets it rough, gently caress.

Going by the sounds and some hints this episode, he clearly got super super poisoned at some point. Also maybe one of, if not both of the maids are maybe actually a demon of some sort? It still feels like him being able to find Beatrice whenever he wants and ducking into her room is going to be the big save he needs to make it through this.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Lestaki posted:

This was a really fun episode. The characterisation is consistently solid and his despair at the start in particular felt very real.

I didn't anticipate it but it made a lot of sense to me when one of the twins was so pleased that Subaru praised demons. Red Oni, Blue Oni, and all that.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what to think of this show at first but the second arc being such a big step up over the first arc has gotten me hooked. It's a consistently fun show with an actually decent mystery to unravel every arc, it's neat.

Also yeah, the Maids are obviously twin Red/Blue Oni. I have to wonder about their master as well, since he's sporting those red/blue eyes. He could just be a magician who conjured/bound them to service, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's not human either.

quote:

It still feels like him being able to find Beatrice whenever he wants and ducking into her room is going to be the big save he needs to make it through this.

He even mentioned at the end that his one oversight was not talking to her before he went to bed so...

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

madmac posted:

He even mentioned at the end that his one oversight was not talking to her before he went to bed so...

I wouldn't call that his only oversight. Remember, Felt is in guard custody at the moment since the doohickey shined when she was handing it back to Emilia-tan. That has to come back sooner or later, right?

Also, clearly there's something to the Emilia/Satella thing, which came back with the "It'd cause all sorts of problems for the villagers, too" from this last episode. They specifically made comment in an earlier episode about a "White-haired elf sorceress who uses spirits? Scary!" before blowing it off as "just coincidence".

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yup, I think the maids are demons too.

It's got to be poison and then someone finishing him off. It seems likely its the dog thing that bit him, but it also seems irrelevant to any of the characters and so likely a red herring. He cuts himself when cooking, and gets his hair combed, other than that, when does he have the moment to get poisoned? I'm not expected Knox's rule but it had to have happened on screen right?

I suspect its set up to imply one of the demon girls kills him though.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
The trigger seems unrelated to his dealings with people, and last episode Betty mentioned something about "that" having nothing to do with her, so maybe the mansion suffers from some routine curse/monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yup, I think the maids are demons too.

I suspect its set up to imply one of the demon girls kills him though.

Absolutely, since The route went off the rails after the very first interactions with the girls, and everyone treated him entirely differently the entire time, except for when he was peeling the appas. That suggests that it either has to be the girls or Betty, and Betty makes more sense as a net-positive force in the narrative.

• Locked thread