Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I was really digging the first three episodes (holy poo poo, a LN adaption with honest-to-god good pacing?? that's a first), but the fourth episode has really cranked up the usual LN garbage baggage to almost unbearable levels.

I'll still keep watching, because the last few seconds got an honest "Aw poo poo!" reaction from me. Again. Curse you, good pacing.

MagicBoots posted:

I think he was murdered in his sleep.

Still, think about the amount of time it threw him back. It's been like 5 days since he came to the mansion according to the maid, and now he's all the way back at the start instead of the last day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just saying, since it works differently than we thought so far, maybe the trigger for the whole thing is also something else (like "plot convenience")

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's easy to say "experiment with your ability" since, well, it's just a story, but i have my doubts that you'd be too experimentation-happy with an ability that has your death as a prerequisite.
Especially if you know jack about it, every death you "intentionally" trigger could be your last because you don't know the exact conditions it operates under.

Keeping in mind how many things and expectations the MC was wrong about since he came to that world, it's probably better for him not to assume anything about his ability.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, I don't consider it bad enough to drop, but the idea that this is some kind of subversion or exploration of the "Another World Harem Comedy" genre is kind of silly.

Whether or not the guy is invoking RPG tropes, he's acting like the most stock main character ever from first being comically slow on the uptake as to what happened with his power to, in the most recent episode, failing to even investigate the source of his own death because he would rather hit on the elf girl. Then it turns out his big grand plan is to sit in a chair in the corner and try to stay awake (and then he loving fails at it). Really.

Not that this is the best show this season or anything but, uh.... are you trolling? You can't honestly be so obtuse as to misrepresent every single fact in your post unintentionally, can you?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There is zero clues as to what happened and zero clues as to who did it, because it happens in his FUTURE. He basically did the only smart thing available to him to find out what was going on.Trying to closely retrace his steps and at least being conscious for what happens so that he has ANY lead on which to go to prevent the loop. I'm puzzled how people keep coming and saying "i would've done so much better obviously".

If i tell you that something will happen to you in a week and possibly later if you avoid it the first time, but you don't know what or by who, and tell you to stop it... what masterplan do you have? Bonus points if you're put into a foreign country with no money or housing and exactly one person that you (barely) know around.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 5, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well yeah. As he's gone to great lengths with his inner monologue to explain to the viewer, he tried as best he could to exactly retrace his steps to make sure the conditions end up the same. The only person in the household he had met before the loop point was Tiny Witch.

Since basically all his relationships were still uninitialized, the tiniest change can lead to completely different results, ending him up in an entirely different situation where the loop gets triggered in a way he can't anticipate. You gotta try to replicate the previous situation in that case and try to get at least the barest of clues what went wrong, before you can actually work on prevention. The whole "tiniest change" actually ended up happening, since his major freakout when waking up made enough of an impression on the maids to color their interactions with him.

Plus, the thing is that he can't really ignore his "normal life". He still has to live every day like it is his only shot. If you succeed in avoiding death but make zero process in social capital (which is what keeps him alive in other ways here), you ironically don't get to try again. This is probably why he asked for Butler again, aside from the retracing part, because it has the most potential for him to "grow in" to this world.

Mind you, i'm not arguing that he could've approached some smaller details of the plan with more cunning, but the overall idea is sound, and it's been established firmly enough that he's the kind to wear his heart on his sleeve, not the usual Xanatos LN wannabe mastermind protagonist.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Feels weird to spend so many words "defending" this show when the last episode was so boring and disappointing to me. I don't care for the two maids at all, or really any of the mansion denizens.

The only thing that keeps me coming back after the first 3 episode arc are the episode endings

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
On genre-savvyness: the MC tried being genre-savvy the entire first two or three episodes long. He was always wrong and got killed.
Also there's a lot of tropes regarding time travel. For every Butterfly Effect story, there's another one a la Final Destination where time tries to correct itself towards a certain outcome whenever it's changed. He simply can't know what kind of story he's in, even if tropes tropes tropes tropes tropes

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, now that he knows suspects it's an outside attacker and has at least an idea of what he's looking for, he drops the "retrace my steps" shtick immediately and goes for the permanent house guest route.

He's not as dumb as people made him out to be. He even cottoned on to the theory from a previous oster that this is all about Emilia / a political assassin like in the first arc, which i hadn't thought about until it was mentioned here.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'll just say again that i really like how death isn't treated as an uncomfortable side effect of getting his time-looping on and min-maxing his life like in most nerd fantasies (which all LNs are, let's not kid ourselves), but as an actual gruesome source of PTSD.

Not sure what's the significance of that scene where he has nightmares and then they suddenly stop (or something stops them) and he rests easy.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I lol'd at 10:32 when the tiny witch's voice actress forgot to put on her cutesy voice and sounded like an actual human being for a second or so, before she caught herself and went up into "cutesy serious mode"

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
also lol'd at how Subaru checks his imaginary watch in a "gotta go now" gesture as if it would have an meaning to the residents of this world

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tamba posted:

What's up with the "we've only met twice" bit at the beginning? I though Beatrice could remember Subaru? And it's not referencing other break time episodes either, because this is the first episode with her.

The first time he woke up in the mansion, noone was there. He stepped outside and ended up in the infinite hallway. He took a door at random and wound up in the library with Beatrice. He annoyed the poo poo out of her, she drained all his mana and he fainted again.

<RESET POINT>

He wakes up, and the maids (who presumably carried him back ot bed) are there to greet him / tease him / scare the poo poo out of him, depending on how many resets he went through.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Beako's manner of speech always reminded me of this, i suppose it's her less magically gifted sister, trying her luck in the idol biz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJhxJRYvCRg&t=475s

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How do we go from "attacker just chopped off the source of power from the second-to-last survivor of the village, breaking the last line of defense" to "and the two lived in peace and harmony to the present day"

I fell like we skipped a step or thirteen in between there.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Dude's a dumb teenager with PTSD and growing inability to distinguish between dream and reality (or that's what it looks like from outside), that makes him a pitiful person, not a bad one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The magical power of "have everything miraculously work out for you" isn't exactly a novel concept, and doesn't usually rely on third parties to work. Just the good ol' self-centered causality-bender.

Tho it'll be interesting to see it clash with the plot powers of a main character from a different story (Subaru) here.

• Locked thread