Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Lestaki posted:

This was a really fun episode. The characterisation is consistently solid and his despair at the start in particular felt very real.

I didn't anticipate it but it made a lot of sense to me when one of the twins was so pleased that Subaru praised demons. Red Oni, Blue Oni, and all that.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what to think of this show at first but the second arc being such a big step up over the first arc has gotten me hooked. It's a consistently fun show with an actually decent mystery to unravel every arc, it's neat.

Also yeah, the Maids are obviously twin Red/Blue Oni. I have to wonder about their master as well, since he's sporting those red/blue eyes. He could just be a magician who conjured/bound them to service, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's not human either.

quote:

It still feels like him being able to find Beatrice whenever he wants and ducking into her room is going to be the big save he needs to make it through this.

He even mentioned at the end that his one oversight was not talking to her before he went to bed so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Man, the Jealous Witch really cranked up the game difficulty after the tutorial mission, that's for sure. I like this show more after every episode

Well, it was already speculated after Subaru's second death that he had been poisoned somehow, and that somehow the village may have been the cause of it (Since the Shaman doesn't appear to be anyone at the mansion at least.) Since Rem is the one who goes out to buy groceries, it kiiiinda makes sense that the Shaman or whatever may have targeted her with the curse in the absence of Subaru.

OTOH, it's been like 4 episodes now focused on the four new characters, would be a little weird to have someone largely or entirely ignored so far be the culprit.

As for the maids, I wonder if it's possible to navigate that tightrope by treating them equally at all times or if that will just get him double murdered. As opposed to ignoring them entirely I mean, he already tried that this episode.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

Considering Subaru survived past the first check point while still injured I have reasons to believe there isn't another loop here. As long as the villagers survive this loop then I think it meets all of his requirements for success.

Having Subaru pass out while injured is a highly convenient way to start a new checkpoint, really. It lets the author shuffle things behind the scenes and present a new scenario as soon as our clueless protagonist wakes up, one that also conveniently requires a fair level of exposition to explain what he missed.

I think this will probably be the winning loop just because there aren't enough swerves left to drop in IMO, and there's no fun in having Subaru just victory shuffle his way through a loop he's already figured out.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

khy posted:

Is the web novel translated?

Can I get my Re:Zero fix anywhere other than the anime?

It appears the LN and manga have been licensed, but you're looking at July at the earliest, so.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Kytrarewn posted:

Subaru has grown a lot since the first episode, and it's shown, not told.

I never expected to say this about a shounen anime, but this is dynamic characterization done right.

Totally. This is just the end of the second arc and it's loving satisfying as hell.

Also I'm really starting to love how Subaru's heroic highs are just him doing crazy reckless stuff like charging the boss dog with his broken sword and his one spell, or chucking one of the maid twins at the other twin and it all just barely pulls together for him, because of planning, balls, good prior decisions and a healthy dose of luck. He really is the anti- uber LN protagonist.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
It's not going to help you read ahead but for what it's worth the LN and Manga are both already licensed in English with the first volumes coming out July.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
OK, this arc already owns, Rem owns, new characters look fun, I'm excited.

I'm cringing a bit at Subaru making huge mistakes already, but that's to be expected. We haven't even found out where the save point is yet.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

What has he done wrong so far other than just generally making a fool of himself?

He's causing Emilia to massively distrust him by apparently aligning himself with princess tsundere pants, to the point that she makes him stay home after not explaining himself the first time only to have him stroll into the castle as part of her entourage. That's the big one, but I'm sure a lot of the little things will come back to bite him like antagonizing Sir Kissy Hands for no real reason.

On an unrelated note, Felt's expression at the end there seemed kinda creepy/glazed over. I'm a little worried what Reinhardt has done with her since the first arc.

madmac fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 19, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

smenj posted:

To be fair, 'Didn't I tell you to be good and wait for me?' is the most condescending thing I've heard anyone on this show say, so maybe she deserves it a little.

Emilia has known him like a week and from her perspective he's almost died how many times now? Dude pretty much just flirts for her a few brief hours before being crippled and bedridden again.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Futaba Anzu posted:

I think Rem deserves head pats!

I think it's very appropriate and cool that Rem is now very happy and smiles all the time.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
2 episodes/book is worrying, but they've done a good job so far and I was planning to read the books afterward anyway so this could work, hopefully.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Holy poo poo.

That was the most savage thing that has happened to Subaru the entire show And the worst thing is that he lived through it.

I'm gonna guess that he doesn't get to reset any of this.

That aside, I appreciate the realistically terrible political platforms most of these candidates are pushing. That Felt has some good ideas and I'm thinking I might join her party, but what if she's just a puppet for entrenched interests?

madmac fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 26, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I thought it was very well done. After a while the fun crazy person who knows things you never told them and is always obliquely referring to how close you are because of things that never happened slowly edges from endearing to creepy.

And while Subaru's an idiot, it's not entirely his fault that he's known everyone 6 times longer than they've known him and his sanity is fraying at the edges from all the resets and being physically unable to keep all the time loops mentally separated after a while.

It's probably true that this is only the tip of his suffering in this arc though, this is gonna be rough.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Kytrarewn posted:

Oddly enough, while Subaru said some dumb things, this episode mostly made me reconsider Emilia, which is why, up the page, I raised the possibility that this might be the opportunity for a route-change. For one thing, both Subaru and Emilia shouted at one another, at length, about the fact that Subaru had done a fair bit for Emilia, but Emilia hadn't really done much in return/ to deserve that kindness. Roswaal and Rem? Sure, but not Emilia personally. Then there's her political patform which smacks of Harrison Bergeron. And they again called out Emilia's similarities to the Jealous Witch.

True last boss?

Everything else aside, I can't not suspect Emilia of being the jealous witch in the end. Even watching the first episode originally I assumed Subaru came back because she did something to him, especially with everyone later saying he must have attracted the witches favor somehow.

The main flaw in the theory is that Subaru was apparently dragged into another world by evil spooky hands before he ever met Emilia, but if she's unconsciously the jealous witch it's still not that far fetched.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Subaru is really really slow in realizing that his self image of a badass dude who gets things done is shared by exactly zero other people.

Also be more appreciative of Rem, dammit.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Yeah, that sounds about right. Being with Emilia would make saving her too easy, so this time he's got to deal with the separation and save her by learning politics or whatever. It's also the only way for him to get a lot of interaction with the like 10 new characters in this arc, so I can definitely see it.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

Rem is great, Rem is love, Rem is life.

Does Subaru have more chemistry with Rem? She certainly seems to have fallen for him pretty drat hard but I think he sees her in a sidekick role in a similar way Emilia sees him.

I remember like a month ago, some random japanese person posting "Rem is the true heroine of the story" in response to some video of the Rezero ED or whatever. He's probably not correct, but I'd be very surprised if Rem isn't the fan favorite girl after the last three episodes or so. (True fact, Rem has the most character merch right now.)

To answer the question though, I think he's just too obsessed with Emilia to even consider switching, though not to the point where he's entirely blind to her charms.

madmac fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 3, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I basically just substitute "Sauron" for "Witch" and it's yet to steer me wrong.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
HOLY poo poo this episode.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Finally, the body pillow demanded by fans.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Belgian Waffle posted:

That last episode kinda messed up my sense of where we're at in the timeline... so, when exactly is the reset point? Is it post coronation ceremony, knightly beat down, and Emilia breakup?

Yes. Specifically it's right after he goes to buy thank you appas for his new hosts from save point guy and gets chewed out for making a scene over Emilia. He tells the guy he's only buying 10 instead of 20 because he's pissed off, and a few seconds after that is the reset point.

I do think it's before Reinhart comes over and offers to help mend things with Julias, which is important.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqXBjiJVDc8

new short.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Would watch Bizarro ReZero.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Uh, I'm assuming he's referencing when Felix and Rem heal his gate because I don't know what else he can be referring to

He's probably referencing that very NSFW thing where Rem is riding Subaru.

http://i.imgur.com/KLTjWAGg.jpg

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

What the hell? You can't link something so... so, dirty just like that!

Rem definitely knows how to get his motor running.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Annointed posted:

I got to hand it to ya, she knows how to work her hands.
:nws:http://webmshare.com/axr1e:nws:

Satella's looking a bit thirsty, IMO.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

To be fair, it's the most, amazing thing in this meta retrospect sort of way in how much momentum Team Rem shippers had until this episode where it's literally wiped from the time line; to make room for Beako!

I have read the Kings Game sidestory, can confirm Beako is Subaru's true soulmate.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I don't know what the big deal with episode 18 is supposed to be, but it's enough that they're promoting it at train stations and announcing that'll be almost a full 26 minutes long.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/07/25/a-standard-length-episode-couldnt-contain-all-rezero-18-has-to-offer

Next week, dammit all.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
For more of less the same reason she told Subaru she was a Half-elf, Emilia in the first loop is actually not a very outwardly friendly person. (I mean, she has no actual friends besides Puck) and it was supposed to be a kinda jerkish, distancing thing for her to do. In the LN near the end of the first loop when she's starting to just barely trust Subaru a little bit he calls her Satella again and Emilia cringes and tells him she'll apologize later.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Erg posted:

that was fuckin' beautiful

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-6ATmb9crA

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Because he fell in love with Emilia before he ever met Rem, basically. It's not really fair, and in a way I like how realistic that is.

And C'mon now, I agree Rem is Best Girl, Rem is Life and all that, but it's not like Emilia is a bad person or unattractive girl. Emilia cares about Subaru, she pushed him away in large part because she was worried about his safety with how reckless he was being and we can see from the ED that she's just moping around at home lonely and depressed with him gone. When he showed up at the mansion suddenly she was primarily concerned with his well-being and struck by how he looked like he was crying inside, Subaru was just too broken at that point to even try to put together a coherent explanation.

One of the first thing Puck says about Emilia in the first loop is that she's not honest with herself, and it's pretty on the nose. Rem is an open book, Emilia is a character where you have to read between the lines to get what she's really thinking. Not to suggest Emilia's like super deep either, but some of the things she says are a bit subtle sometimes.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Link to which ED where Emilia is all moopy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYpiNE--19I

They only used the new ED once so far, so it's easy to miss!

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Condiv posted:

why is rem so in love with subaro?

She literally answers that question in extensive detail this episode, so watch the show maybe?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Arcanen posted:

I don't really understand Subaru's awakening/redemption/whatever this episode. Over this arc he's been made aware of how he was acting like a complete poo poo to everyone, and has been suffering since that revelation, and now his redemption is some "just be yourself" malarkey and to go back to acting as he was before? Despite there being very real and serious problems with how he'd been acting that he seemed to finally be accepting?

Uh, none of that described what happened in episode 18, so...No.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Modern life is easy, convenient, clean and safe. And depending on the country the social safety net or social moores may make it such that you don't have to strenuously work to survive. I don't know if Subaru worked or was a NEET or had his parent's pay his rent as is often the case with Anime NEETs (Holy loving poo poo do I get FURIOUS out of envy everytime this happens, mine made me pay 300$, Anime NEETing just doesn't happen in North America, oh you're 18? Get the gently caress out even if you have to live in a cardboard box :argh: ).

Subaru himself thusly might fit partially in the mold of Nietzschean philosophy, until he was transported he was a Last Man, someone who just coasted and he himself was bored and listless, but being transported gave him the spark he needed to reach for and become an Ubermensch.

Obviously he's struggling with it.

Keep in mind that Subaru is only 16, so calling him a NEET is stretching the definition a bit, from what I've read of the LN he's described as being more of a truant who's been skipping school increasingly often.

Also new ep preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKkrncJUm3U

madmac fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 5, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
The royal court scene was apparently one of the most changed things in the adaption so far, there were a number of things that got cut from what I understand. (Subaru humiliating himself not being one of those things, obviously.)

I think in part the Royals were being patient with Subaru just because they assumed he was legitimately Emilia's retainer (With some reasonable anger at first, his initial outburst at Emilia being insulted was semi-reasonable, his declaring himself a knight and stupidly picking a fight with everyone in the room, not so much.) and once that was clarified he was kicked out in a hurry.

Or to put it differently, sticking up for your master is expected of a vassal, and the old dude running things even praises Subaru for it very lightly, but when he started making everything about himself and his ego, that's when he crossed the line from a little too shouty to Stupid McClownface.

madmac fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 6, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

darkgray posted:

Uhoh, they cut the most important Rem line of the arc in the adaptation of this episode. Wonder if it's gone forever, or if they just decided to move it to a later episode.

If it's what I think it is (I haven't read the WN but I've been spoiled on a few things.) then moving it to a later episode is probably the correct choice.

On a different note, that ringtone seemed vaguely familiar but I couldn't quite place it. Anyone know what it was?

Edit: Apparently it's this song, and White Fox actually dug up an old rear end phone for an authentic sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_wm4KmrDH0

You have weird taste in music, Subaru.

madmac fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 7, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Mindblast posted:

:psyduck: what why would he even do this. Is Rem making that poo poo up or what.

The anime skipped out on some other Roswal related things, like him explicitly instructing Rem to let Subaru sneak off and show up for Royal Court day, or just before Rem sacrificed herself to the whale admitting that Roswall had told her to stay with Subaru and do anything he asked.

Why he'd do any of that poo poo I couldn't tell you.

madmac fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Just from reading some of the Part 3 manga I gather that the start of Arc 3 was especially compressed, so leaving out any particular scene they deemed unessential doesn't necessarily mean anything. That said, they did keep the bit where Roswal is the one that convinces Emilia to let Subaru stay for the Royal thingie initially.

• Locked thread