Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Zernach posted:

That cliffhanger was evil I tell you, now I'm intensely curious and hence hooked on this show. Not that the animation and suprisingly graphic fighting didn't do that before, but drat it my curiosity demands answers to what set Reinhard off.

Betting on the classic Lost Princess/Heiress.

This scene honestly stumped me because its seeing the insignia that set him off, but instead of arresting it's owner he arrests the thief who has otherwise nothing to do with it; which confuses and intrigues me.

I actually got Dark Souls vibes from how slower paced the earlier combat was; especially with Elsa doing her short bursty dodges. It never occurred to me that the time loop is almost exactly the same. The painful deaths are just icing on that cake.

I like this show a lot as to how it kinda deconstructs the you've been summoned to another magical world by completely dumping on the MC before finally letting him have his MC status.

I especially liked the moment where the girl comments on Subaru clearly not having evidence of being a peasant because of his modern first world life style. I remember a question once on a different forum "If you could pick any location in 1100 AD where would you go?" And I had a similar line of reasoning that you could probably convince people you're a noble because of those sorts of characteristics if language wasn't a problem.

This show has small moments that appeals to my inner nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Desuwa posted:

I thought it was pretty obvious that the gem in the insignia was glowing.

Aaaaaah. That makes sense, I probably missed that.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Oh wow this show knows how to suck you in.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So puck dropped what I think is an interesting bombshell: Puck stated he can read Subaru's mind. and doesn't seem to ask any questions.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Torquemadras posted:

I always ask myself that whenever there's time loop stories.

I can only think of one anime that actually answered that question - the Higurashi series, which actually shows each and every time loop continues on to be its own world, where almost the entire city died and the few survivors are horribly broken and traumatized, which kinda makes the whole concept a lot more nightmarish

Screw that. I want a story with somebody on the receiving end of a time loop. Events repeat over and over, and someone realizes this and tries to escape, but they just can't because they aren't the one controlling the loop. So the entire story is basically them desparately trying to stop someone, who can just reset and undo everything on a whim. So they gotta trick the "hero" or something while falling into despair from being inevitably outmaneuvered by what might as well be a god.

Coincidentally, I really really really really really like Endless Eight and Another One Bites The Dust

There's an Animesque board game called "Looper" that sounds kinda similar.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yup, I think the maids are demons too.

It's got to be poison and then someone finishing him off. It seems likely its the dog thing that bit him, but it also seems irrelevant to any of the characters and so likely a red herring. He cuts himself when cooking, and gets his hair combed, other than that, when does he have the moment to get poisoned? I'm not expected Knox's rule but it had to have happened on screen right?

I suspect its set up to imply one of the demon girls kills him though.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The manga version apparently is even more gruesome.

The thing that I really like about this series, is the way in which it subjects the MC to so such cruel deaths in such a way as to completely deny him having any sort of dignity. His deaths leave him cold, afraid, crying, and in terrible mind numbing amounts of pain. I think we rarely see this; and its really effective I feel in making us more invested in each loop because his deaths each time successfully makes us cringe and shudder in its wake.

I think Higurashi comes close or is the closest I've seen it like this, but I feel the acting has more weight here since it's focused to one character.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Vengarr posted:

No, he said "she" had bad taste. As in, she just told her real super-secret name to some homeless guy right off the street. There's no way Satella isn't her real name judging from that scene.

I actually like that Subaru didn't try to figure out how he died--he obviously doesn't have a lot going on upstairs, he's just a dumbass with tons of pluck. His plan being "This time, I'll STAY AWAKE ALL NIGHT" is very much in-character.

That being said, come onnnnnn dog, you gotta start trying a little harder. This is like the sixth time.

Huh, his best guess is that he died during his sleep, probably because someone visited him and killed him in his sleep (it doesn't occur to him reasonably so, that he may have died via poison or drowning in his own vomit), so by following all of the events as best as he can to prevent butterflies from quantum annihilating that possible timeline he waits to ambush/confront whoever decides to send him to meet the reaper.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Fellis posted:

I mean it says moe dark souls right in the thread title, maybe you guys will be more successful in your next loop

*unsheaths katana*

There's better dex build weapons, like the great scythe.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Erg posted:

I love that this episode addressed like 90% of the speculation/argumentative posts from the last two weeks

I love shows that seem to mirror the speculation of the watching threads, it really makes us engaged and invested.

Odds on MC dying right then and there? He's surprised by it being Rem, so he might drop his guard because tropes demand it; but mainly because the last arc seemed to clearly point out that in order to survive he needs to have his support network there with him and he doesn't have that here, Emilia isn't there with him and neither is the magic girl.

On the other hand if there's a moment to bring out all of his knowledge and turn it around, it's now.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Overlord K posted:

I'm mainly curious if depending on which sister he gives attention to, it'll be the opposite who ends up coming after him for whatever reason it is.

Ooo ouch, that could work, especially if this is a series wherein it has a lot of loops.

But I'm pretty sure its been set up that only one of the two girls is a little off, and the other one is looking out for her.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
A good question is whether they were going to kill him as he got farther away too or if him doubling back is what got him.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Dying is still gruesome and that's a good thing!

All of those souls Subaru collected that he keeps losing :(

This is quite the mystery, if it's the Jealous Witch, why bring him? Why let him advance in increments? Subaru seems obsessed with helping Emilia so the only thing I can think of is Emilia succeeding helps the Witch in some way.

Other bits of info:
-There's a dragon that's contractually obligated to help the Kingdom, but only with the ruling family; which may be the orphan thief girl.
-The Demon girls dying may also either be something the Witch doesn't want, or simply a means of motivating Subaru.

Beatrice is a cool person, I can't decide if the magic about her hidden pocket dimension lets her know more than she lets on.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Something no one has commented on yet; so we know Ram has the telekinesis wind attack and Rem has the giant's strength; and that each time he's died awake the two of them in one way or another cooperated to kill him. Removing his arm the first time, and then getting his leg/slicing his throat the last time.

madmac posted:

Man, the Jealous Witch really cranked up the game difficulty after the tutorial mission, that's for sure. I like this show more after every episode

Well, it was already speculated after Subaru's second death that he had been poisoned somehow, and that somehow the village may have been the cause of it (Since the Shaman doesn't appear to be anyone at the mansion at least.) Since Rem is the one who goes out to buy groceries, it kiiiinda makes sense that the Shaman or whatever may have targeted her with the curse in the absence of Subaru.

OTOH, it's been like 4 episodes now focused on the four new characters, would be a little weird to have someone largely or entirely ignored so far be the culprit.

Huh, maybe Rem gets bitten instead if Subaru doesn't leave? That could satisfy some of the "Rules" about a mystery.

quote:

As for the maids, I wonder if it's possible to navigate that tightrope by treating them equally at all times or if that will just get him double murdered. As opposed to ignoring them entirely I mean, he already tried that this episode.

Heh. Isn't that the key to that one rare Bad End in Fate/Stay Night?

e:

Great AV material this ep, I can't seem to get the imgur link to the Drills being pulled gif to work.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 16, 2016

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
One thing I just found out that I think is funny is that apparently on Reddit they nicknamed Subaru "Car-kun/Car-MC/Best Car" or something around those lines; the car puns are pretty funny. :)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

WELP time to buy the books.

I guess this arc is volume 2... or 3?

They're not in English. :smith:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'd read that. If it were in English. :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
A nightmarish joke.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

MagicBoots posted:

I think he is still going to die this round. He hosed up when he lied about knowing where the vases are, no way the red twin trusts him.

Wasn't that the Blue Twin that was there? Regardless, I think this suffices to justify her going to the village, so he isn't alone with her 'little sister'. I think that's the last death unless a serious new/old foe reappears out of the blue, they'll find the Shaman this round probably.

Loved the ep; this series has a good and solid grounding in psychology.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Brownieftw posted:

That reaction to the blind spell makes it seem like it may be far worse than just losing your sight. Wonder if it also messes with your other senses as well.

I think its meant to feel similar to the Witch's finagling; so Shadow to Shadow?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Rangpur posted:

Show's come a hell of a long way from my initial reaction of "Christ, the MC gets sucked into a new world and granted superpowers again ?"

He's earned them at this point.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I laughed but I feel bad about it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Dog being the Shaman was unexpected but at least fits Knox's rules.

Considering Subaru survived past the first check point while still injured I have reasons to believe there isn't another loop here. As long as the villagers survive this loop then I think it meets all of his requirements for success.

Jackard posted:

something like this except animated

This is perfect.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So apparently South Park did it too. :D

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yup, appears to be Kenny.

Overlord K posted:

How are they going to defeat the king puppy if Rem returned to normal :ohdear:

She can probably focus on just attacking King Puppy.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

darkgray posted:

Hmm, they cut out the bit where Puck explains to Subaru what the hell odo is. Did they move it to an earlier episode, and I just missed it?

Earlier episode!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It speaks volumes of the writing how much I'm growing to not want Subaru to suffer any further than he has.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Fellis posted:

Holy poo poo i did not see this twist coming!!!!!

E:!!!!!!

Felt being a candidate? I think that one was obviously foreshadowed when Reinhard took her when she was holding the glyph thingy it glowed, either it means she's related to the royal bloodline or is just picked because ~destiny~.

My question is whether "Dragon" is metaphorical prophecy trap stuff and whether Subaru is the Dragon, or if there's an actual Dragon and what does Subaru have to do with everything.

This show has me super on edge.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

madmac posted:

OK, this arc already owns, Rem owns, new characters look fun, I'm excited.

I'm cringing a bit at Subaru making huge mistakes already, but that's to be expected. We haven't even found out where the save point is yet.

What has he done wrong so far other than just generally making a fool of himself?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Hrm, that's a lot of lost ground he has to cover if his mistakes are now and his next loop brings him back here.

Futaba Anzu posted:

felix the cat lmao

I hadn't noticed this, oh my. Is that deliberate you think?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

smenj posted:

To be fair, 'Didn't I tell you to be good and wait for me?' is the most condescending thing I've heard anyone on this show say, so maybe she deserves it a little.

They deserve each other. :3:

Also to be fair, see how Subaru nearly killed himself by fooling around with the carriage.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Argas posted:

Not a word on Emilia's cute hooded cloak? For shame.

Speaking of, any literature goons good at symbolism?

Gotta be some deliberate cinematography here.

Only thing I got is that maybe the light is meant to illuminate them as good people. To Subaru's perspective Emilia might as well be heaven sent to be his muse and guide, ala Beatrice to Dante from the Divine Comedy. So Chosen Undead-kun being placed to her immediate right should imply symbolically that he is probably similarly "good" and can be trusted. Perhaps He's Virgil?

On the other hand they both seem to, while realistically shaded and is probably nothing I can't help but feel it suggests "The light leaves them shrouded in darkness" if that makes sense. Like what may appear good may in fact hide darkness inside; I only think this as knowing that the Witch is a half elf like Emilia and that since Subaru has a clear connection to the Witch and these things must be related.

But I only took 1 creative writing course and I don't remember anything from any of my previous literature courses so that's all I got.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

MagicBoots posted:

If someone you care about looks you square in the eyes and says "Don't do this, I want to be able to trust you." then don't do it you goonlord :cripes:

I hope the resolution to this arc is to do nothing, just stay home as asked, maybe have a nice cup of tea with Rem.

I think though the point of Subaru's ability here is being able to absorb a lot of information to help Emilia navigate the political waters. Going by the theme so far, we can probably assume the four candidates are all likely good people after a fashion, but probably have itchy trigger fingers because maybe they all assume all the other candidates are out to get them? If the way Rem and Ram acted regarding him is any indication, a stranger, they gotta be generally more paranoid about their actual rivals right? Emilia in particular seemed like she was freaking out.

So maybe we have a Danganronpa sorta situation where they feel compelled to kill people because of miscommunications, the question is whether Subaru being an idiot precipitates this or if his idiocy and powers ultimately is what lets him keep them from killing each other?

Going by the fan theory that Subaru is the dragon and is compelled to protect the realm/royal family I think the plot maybe his goal is to keep the candidates from killing each other?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

madmac posted:

Holy poo poo.

That was the most savage thing that has happened to Subaru the entire show And the worst thing is that he lived through it.

I'm gonna guess that he doesn't get to reset any of this.

That aside, I appreciate the realistically terrible political platforms most of these candidates are pushing. That Felt has some good ideas and I'm thinking I might join her party, but what if she's just a puppet for entrenched interests?

Emilia's are arguably the most altruistic are also the most likely to be undercut by whatever scheme Eminem is cooking with regards to the all powerful mythological creature that allegedly protects their Kingdom from harm.

Is this what they mean by Subaru suffering? I want out now. :(

So Subaru basically developed this idealized version of Emilia to the point that he increasingly disregarded Emilia's own agency and desires, breaking her trust due to his time leap shenanigans finally putting his one sided character interactions and development with everyone to it's breaking point? Is this what happened did I understand it correctly?

If so, it's interesting how this show seems to have a solid understanding of people and realistically what the breaking points for such a premise are and rolling with it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
What sucks about this episode is until we meet the reset point most of the cryptic stuff said won't make any sense.

What is it about Subaru, presumably, thinking he'll use his reset powers to solve everything that makes the Demon Butler decide that Subaru doesnt want to become stronger?

Other than that, Subaru presumably still hasn't really learned his lesson yet right? That's the impression I got, that Subaru still thinks with some amount of hubris that only he is capable of protecting and serving Emilia, and anyone whose trying to for his own good get him to see reason and better take care of himself are his enemy? That isn't healthy.

On the other hand, a lot of bad stuff just went down and probably not directly his fault right? In some ways he needs to do this?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

madmac posted:

Yeah, that sounds about right. Being with Emilia would make saving her too easy, so this time he's got to deal with the separation and save her by learning politics or whatever. It's also the only way for him to get a lot of interaction with the like 10 new characters in this arc, so I can definitely see it.

Oooooh, this is an interesting idea. I think this is likely what's up.

It's interesting seeing Arslan Senki and Re:zero encompass basically two distinct halves of what makes Game of Thrones so good.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

This was an absolutely brutal chapter in the web version, Subaru's mind is so fragmented once he reached the village and he ignores all the carnage and dead bodies and runs on auto pilot trying to find someone alive until he could no longer escape reality. And while he's got snot and tear and drool falling freely from his face he convinces himself Rem has to be fine somehow and starts slowly walking towards the mansion.

And then the author stabs the readers in the heart by faking out the chapter's ending and makes you scroll through a page of white space just for a single and final sentence announcing that Rem died in the garden.

The version I had cut out before he walked into the mansion and now I saw it and poo poo.

:( Yeah this loop isn't sticking. Why did the cultists bow to Subaru? Mystery we'll see in a bit?

quote:

Also loving hell this episode. Subaru being so beat up emotionally like this is even worse than when he was forcing himself to be energetic and happy so hard he felt sick. Also please appreciate Rem more, Subaru. You didn't just save Emilia, you saved her too and she actually remembers this fact.

Rem is great, Rem is love, Rem is life.

Does Subaru have more chemistry with Rem? She certainly seems to have fallen for him pretty drat hard but I think he sees her in a sidekick role in a similar way Emilia sees him.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Someone mentioned FSN earlier, I actually kind of like how this story has went a little further in (probably not deliberately) criticizing Shirou. Shirou has that famous scene where each option was "Go Save Illya" and Subaru this arc is bordering Heaven's Feel Shirou fairly heavily; the death seeking, the willingness to recklessly push past his limits, the near insanity; but with more realistic reactions from the other characters who are desperately trying to stop this sort of behavior or are otherwise scared or repulsed by it.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Tell me there's a picture of this page

The manga will probably give it a good effort.

quote:

so i was talking to my friends about the episode, and did the cultists bow to subaru?

It's going to be curious how he dies if its not them. I don't think he'll just off himself deliberately now, it lowers the stakes too much if he has the easy way out of a route now matter how bad it may be and I think the author went out of his way to make it seems like a very negative and insanity inducing thing to contemplate as a routine measure.

Also I like how Rich Burlew was on record that suicide should never under any circumstance be the answer to a narrative problem and I would prefer it be the extraordinary exception and not the norm.

quote:

He internalizes her new behavior and body language towards him as that he has filled the hole where her baggage once occupied. He understands it as that she is dependent on him and he views this as unhealthy to be so attached to him and hopes time will heal her from her dependency on him.

So Subaru is essentially oblivious then?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
They may also had to leave in a hurry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Lestaki posted:

Then we cut to his eyes burning with incandescent rage and realise he's still screwed.

Rage is probably a better emotion than the helplessness he was feeling before as now he has a clear goal in mind.

quote:

I can't stop thinking about how he's partly right.

"Just because you're correct doesn't mean that you're right!"

Subaru's curse is that to a degree he's always been right on certain fundamentals because his time leap powers give him that much insight. But he can still mishear or misunderstand, or just not get enough information from a loop to know everything he needs to know while his own judgement isn't super reliable.

Next episode can't come soon enough.

e: Is that Kirito's VA as the betelgese?

• Locked thread