Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I'm really enjoying this one. The characters are great, and the world-building seems deep and interesting.

Probably my most anticipated show for this coming weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Erg posted:

The only thing that annoyed me about it so far is that it took the MC two deaths to figure out what was going on

That annoyed me a little bit at first, but I can't even imagine how I would react in a similar situation. I found his attempt to use magic to try to save a kid in danger of being trampled by a runaway cart to be more egregious.

Granted that my worldview might be broadened a bit by being transported to an apparently-fantastic realm filled with all shapes and colors of furries, I don't think I'd believe "Oh, I go back in time to X point in time when I die" after the first time, either.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
One thing I did find frustrating was our protagonist's actions after he realized that he was in a time loop.

Hey, buddy. You met both Felt and Satella after getting the poo poo kicked out of you by the alley thugs, and that won't happen if you beat them all up yourself. Try branch-points further down the line before you go down an entirely different route.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

darkgray posted:

Uhoh, I hope they didn't blow the entire season's animation budget on this one episode.
Animation was pretty solid for the fight scene, yeah. I was impressed.

Show's doing a good job of keeping me on my feet and making me eagerly anticipate each coming episode, since for the life of me I can't figure out what the hell is going on. Very well-paced.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Satomi Arai's voice coming out of a bizarrely youthful-looking character makes every show better.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

HenryEx posted:

It's easy to say "experiment with your ability" since, well, it's just a story, but i have my doubts that you'd be too experimentation-happy with an ability that has your death as a prerequisite.
Especially if you know jack about it, every death you "intentionally" trigger could be your last because you don't know the exact conditions it operates under.

Keeping in mind how many things and expectations the MC was wrong about since he came to that world, it's probably better for him not to assume anything about his ability.

Not to mention that you never know what abilities someone else might have for the sake of counteracting your own.

If your opponent has something that allows him to set your respawn point to a cart hurtling off a cliff, your return-by-death becomes a lot less useful.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Torquemadras posted:

I always ask myself that whenever there's time loop stories.

I can only think of one anime that actually answered that question - the Higurashi series, which actually shows each and every time loop continues on to be its own world, where almost the entire city died and the few survivors are horribly broken and traumatized, which kinda makes the whole concept a lot more nightmarish

Screw that. I want a story with somebody on the receiving end of a time loop. Events repeat over and over, and someone realizes this and tries to escape, but they just can't because they aren't the one controlling the loop. So the entire story is basically them desparately trying to stop someone, who can just reset and undo everything on a whim. So they gotta trick the "hero" or something while falling into despair from being inevitably outmaneuvered by what might as well be a god.

Coincidentally, I really really really really really like Endless Eight and Another One Bites The Dust

Didn't Monogatari S2 do the "receiving end of a time loop" thing in one of its arcs?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

madmac posted:

He even mentioned at the end that his one oversight was not talking to her before he went to bed so...

I wouldn't call that his only oversight. Remember, Felt is in guard custody at the moment since the doohickey shined when she was handing it back to Emilia-tan. That has to come back sooner or later, right?

Also, clearly there's something to the Emilia/Satella thing, which came back with the "It'd cause all sorts of problems for the villagers, too" from this last episode. They specifically made comment in an earlier episode about a "White-haired elf sorceress who uses spirits? Scary!" before blowing it off as "just coincidence".

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yup, I think the maids are demons too.

I suspect its set up to imply one of the demon girls kills him though.

Absolutely, since The route went off the rails after the very first interactions with the girls, and everyone treated him entirely differently the entire time, except for when he was peeling the appas. That suggests that it either has to be the girls or Betty, and Betty makes more sense as a net-positive force in the narrative.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Desuwa posted:

Subaru isn't very bright; he does everything on impulse without thinking at all. A lot of it can be forgiven but despite being killed multiple times he still hasn't really thought ahead more than five minutes. It's a flaw they've brought up and pointed out but it still really grates on me.

That's almost certainly the case, but what was he to have done differently on this most recent reset? He just woke up and realized he'd been reset and presumably killed, though he had no memory of the latter.

So, he tried his best to follow the same route as the last time, resolved to pay attention to the people around him who might want him dead and pay attention to where the atmosphere changed. That plan went pear-shaped when the route shifted of its own accord to the "get a face full of clowndick" route.

If nothing else, Subaru is a really interesting case-study in how genre-savviness in a protagonist can cause apparent stupidity in same.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

ChronoReverse posted:

8) Tell someone about your magic powers.
The first smart thing to do. You still die in your sleep since only the Emilia would believe you and you're ignoring her so nobody listens.

Again, is that really a smart thing to do when you know you have an enemy extant, and moreover one who is able to get at you in the core of your only friend's domain? He doesn't even have an acquaintance with the appa seller in this timeline, just Emilia, Felt andReinhard. Anyone to whom Emilia is connected is probably connected to Clown + Rem + Ram as well, and it's clear that Roswaal can bid more for the information than Subaru can to protect it.

You also don't know what powers other people have, you don't know what the range is of other possible time-breaching abilities.

I'd be holding "I go back in time when someone kills me" as close to my chest as I could, at the moment.

My "If I were Subaru" idea would be to find Reinhard and gather some information about what's going on with Felt, and perhaps give Emilia a rain-check for a cycle to see if that led to a better life-expectancy, but that's just me.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I love shows that seem to mirror the speculation of the watching threads, it really makes us engaged and invested.

Odds on MC dying right then and there? He's surprised by it being Rem, so he might drop his guard because tropes demand it; but mainly because the last arc seemed to clearly point out that in order to survive he needs to have his support network there with him and he doesn't have that here, Emilia isn't there with him and neither is the magic girl.

On the other hand if there's a moment to bring out all of his knowledge and turn it around, it's now.

That's one reason that I enjoyed Person of Interest for so long. I would bitch about something that I thought was stupid on a forum, and they would address it in the very next episode.

ReZero: He's not going to survive, but he's going to learn something important that he can use to influence the next iteration, is my guess. He's literally backed into a corner, and he's not going to be able to talk down the person that shot a cannonball at him with nary a word. But he might be able to delay it a bit longer, or learn what triggered her ire.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

LostRook posted:

Swung a morning star, actually. You can see the handle in one shot.

Yes, I'm aware, but I thought that that saying morningstar rather understated the weight and violence of the projectile and the range from which it was handled.

That being the case, I could have put that more clearly.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Considering Subaru survived past the first check point while still injured I have reasons to believe there isn't another loop here. As long as the villagers survive this loop then I think it meets all of his requirements for success.

That's an interesting question, isn't it? Is it better to progress from here without a reputation as a hero and Rem's admiration/trust, or avoid the catastrophe of the barrier being broken/children kidnapped/etc? The way the show's been going so far, it feels more likely that he would reset again and come up with some way to avert the dogshaman incident altogether, losing the majority of the ground he had made up.

That being said, there are events (lap pillow/cry) in this timeline that seem unlikely to naturally come up again, and we've spent long enough on these four or five days in a very well directed and paced show, that he could easily enough get a new checkpoint.

Here's an interesting question for you- Why is Emilia on house arrest now when she was free to explore all of the nastiest and seediest back alleys of the major city just a few days previously? Anxiety over the Bowel Hunter perhaps trying to nab the tag again?

The Lord of Hats posted:

Except that I feel like Roswaal trusted him less on this loop, if anything. Except that he can't have been instructing Rem and Ram to kill Subaru (which *might* have happened on loop 2? I don't know why Rem would've killed him that time, otherwise), because they were willing to trust him on the whole village thing. Roswaal has to have something going on that we haven't seen yet, I can't think of another explanation.

Emilia informed RAM after the cry that she was sure that Subaru was a good guy and not to do anything rash in this loop. Presumably, they passed that assessment on to Roswaal as well. That seems to indicate that Emilia, at least, had some lingering doubts about him before that point, and might have changed Roswaal's opinion, too.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 30, 2016

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Subaru has grown a lot since the first episode, and it's shown, not told.

I never expected to say this about a shounen anime, but this is dynamic characterization done right.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Cake Attack posted:

murder all translators who translate onii/onee-chan in stupid ways imo

That was bad.

See also: Noragami Aragoto. Yato-chan -> Yatty.

Why?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

lets hang out posted:

The guy holding Ram after her horn got cut off was dressed just like Roswaal

Maybe fancy cravats are popular with death cults

That's the impression I got from Ram's conversation with Roswaal also, that some kind of deal had been made, probably for Rem's wellbeing.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 13, 2016

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

darkgray posted:

Christ, with the new arc starting, it's going to be really hard to keep myself from reading ahead. Smells like epic adventure time. Love the character designs in this show.

Yeah, I really like all the new characters. The interesting bit to me is that it seems like they've blown their voice-acting budget on the second half (Yuka Iguchi, Yukari Tamura, Kana Ueda, Yui Horie) so I'm guessing at big things for all of our new friends.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

smenj posted:

To be fair, 'Didn't I tell you to be good and wait for me?' is the most condescending thing I've heard anyone on this show say, so maybe she deserves it a little.

I think there's an element of grandstanding here.

"He's my personal apple peeler", for example. They're all trying to appear queenly/dominating in order to impress the court spies.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 19, 2016

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Having not read LN/Web novels, I don't have any context for this, but, according to a guy on reddit who went to a talk given by the producers , this cour will be dedicated entirely to the third arc.

To date, each arc has had a single reset point, so it'll be interesting to see how the show structures itself going forward.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

smenj posted:

If it's at some point after this episode though, I really struggle to see how he's going to sort things out. Additionally, I wonder if there's actually going to be much violence this arc, or if it's going to mostly be about Subaru learning to fumble his way through a political minefield he knows nothing about. Eager for more, in any case.

Keep in mind that Subaru has multiple routes available from this point.

Route 1. Emilia. Set a bad flag, so might not be possible.
Route 2. Priscilla. Finds him amusing to play with, clearly grandstanding a bit to intrigue the decadent nobles.
Route 3. Felt. Knows him from long ago, has the most radical position, has a grand-vizier-type for an attendant but no other compatriots, and clearly shows gratitude/remembers past kindnesses.

Would it really be that far out in left field for the heroine to switch to Felt from this point forward, or at least for the remainder of this arc?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Oddly enough, while Subaru said some dumb things, this episode mostly made me reconsider Emilia, which is why, up the page, I raised the possibility that this might be the opportunity for a route-change. For one thing, both Subaru and Emilia shouted at one another, at length, about the fact that Subaru had done a fair bit for Emilia, but Emilia hadn't really done much in return/ to deserve that kindness. Roswaal and Rem? Sure, but not Emilia personally. Then there's her political patform which smacks of Harrison Bergeron. And they again called out Emilia's similarities to the Jealous Witch.

True last boss?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Cowman posted:

It's probably the inn or just after the breakup.

I thought it would be after the breakup, also, but there were some reveals ("I made a contract with Emilia for your safety" says the other candidate to the throne, for example) that make me think it's likely to be earlier.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I'm amazed they didn't cliffhanger that and skip a week or something, especially with the different ending.

I also thought we were going to meet Bea-ko this week because of the mini-episode. What's she been up to?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Erg posted:

I think last cycle he had just short of a week before he got to the mansion and poo poo was hosed? He had a couple days of training and then they traveled for something like two days.

His best option is to somehow notify the people that beetle juice is about to make a move.

That's how I saw it, too. His motions clearly accelerated things, so he has to get a line on Roswaal/Puck/Beacon. He can't very well ask the encourages of the other candidates, because they will be sure to twist it to their own advantage.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I don't really understand what happened with Stacy.

She suspected that Crusch was involved in some manner of iron/weapons trade/smugling, so dropped that into the conversation hoping that Subie would confirm it? If nothing else, Subaru learned a whole lot of obvious points about negotiation from the three royal candidates in this episode about how to negotiate from a position of strength. Next reset, I guess he starts with Crusch and maybe a blackmail angle?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
The interesting thing was how, despite their divergent political platforms, the Noble royal candidates had somewhat similar worldviews and philosophies.

The first episode was all about Emilia's philosophy "I don't think anything is ever pointless" and general karma (She does nice things for the townspeople because in her experience it pays off for her in the end), and Houshin described the same point of view here, as has Prissy with her "The world is organized in such a way as to benefit me at all times" (or whatever the phrase is, I'm working from memory here) statement. Crusch, I guess, sort of sets things up to turn any situation to her financial advantage.

Crusch, Priscilla and Houshin all described to Subaru that just really wanting something isn't enough, and that he should lead off with what he can offer, in a negotiation. That's backed up by Emilia's major lecture at Subaru, also: "I don't get it, why are you doing all this for me, I've never put my life on the line for you, nor do I intend to" (also paraphrased). She felt uncomfortable receiving kindness and generosity without paying for it, feeling like she was being forced into a disadvantageous situation somehow?

And now, I'm wondering if all three of the major royal candidates are deadly sins:
Crusch: Gluttony? Greed?
Priscilla: Lust (Seeking to escape boredom through her kink) or Vanity (self-explanatory)
Houshin: Wrath (has an elite assassination team as her personal guard)

Of course, then you've got other characters like THE BOWEL HUNTER who might turn out to actually be players, so who knows?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

ViggyNash posted:

Or we could all go watch Steins;Gate again.

Or read the VN, whichever.

Coincidentally, I am currently working on reading it (slowly). That being the case, if people would be cautious about spoilers for it, I would appreciate it.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Beako seems like she might understand what Subie's going through, if only he could tell her.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

ninjewtsu posted:

if rem was erased from all timelines, i'd assume that subaru would forget who she is too. since he didn't, i'd think she remains in the timelines he's already experienced, and should remain in any other timelines as well.

Which is probably also the reason that the whale left Subaru alone after all that trouble. Because Subaru's existence spans so many universes, his erasure is not within the whale's capabilities.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

darkgray posted:

They call her 半魔 (hanma), where 魔 (ma) is the same character as used in 魔女 (majo) for witch, and 魔獣 (majuu) for "mabeast". Also the character seen in 魔法 (mahou) meaning magic, and 悪魔 (akuma) meaning demon or devil.

Edit: Uh, and 半 (han) means half.

Presumably the same character in maou (demon king) as well?

EDIT: 魔王

Yup- ma meaning demon, ou meaning king.

ninjewtsu posted:

the dog mabeasts attacked him though.

i guess they were being controlled by the puppy, but i'm not so sure the puppy wasn't another mabeast as well.

that whole thing never really got explained, actually. why was there an evil puppy shaman?

The dogs just wanted to tear him to pieces. The whale wanted to erase his very existence from the fabric of history. We know all too well that Subaru can be torn apart- their goal was possible.

The whale? Presumably less-so.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 24, 2016

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Cake Attack posted:

according to google translate the second one means

...... It is good still . Subaru follow if you want to do so . Even Mufufu in Gehehe , I also nonny-nonny in Ahin'ahin Tsu ......

hope this helps

`…… Sore demo ī wa. Subaru ga sō shitainara shitagau. Gehehe demo mufufu demo, ahin'ahin demo chomechome demo watashi wa…… ~tsu'
If I've learned one thing from Gintama, it's that chomechome is basically a means for self-censoring.

I'm still just learning, and I haven't the faintest idea what Ahin'ahin means (yandex seems to suggest it's huahin not ahin, but that's a minor point) , but it seems to be something along the lines of "Even that's okay. Since you want to do it so badly, go ahead. Even if I giggle, even if I chuckle, even if I laugh uproariously, even if I [self-censored something sexual]" or something along those lines?

EDIT:
Even the aggregator has no idea what ahin'ahin means.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 25, 2016

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
That was a great episode. The conversation between Subaru and Rem being one thing, the interesting bit for me was when Subaru realized that his insane laugh was reminiscent of Sloth. Will all of the deadly sins wind up being Subaru from different stages of his journey? "This one quit while he was ahead" also seems to intimate that.

Subaru's three sins:
1. Broke his promise with Emilia to stay away from the castle during selection proceedings.
2. Returned to the estate counter to Emilia's wishes
3. Let die/killed Emilia

1 and 3 are obvious, but the curious one is 2. Given that the destruction of the world is at stake, and Puck has a general idea of Subaru's state of mind, what is the solution? Send uninterested third parties to the estate with a message for Beako?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I should have stated that better. Shinji also had a good reason to be depressed, though it's still not quite at the level of seeing literally everyone he cares about (in the parallel world, at least) get killed in addition to repeatedly suffering the physical pain of dying himself.

Shinji had very valid reasons to be depressed, but since you don't know them at the start of the show, he comes off as being extremely annoying. Also, even for in-universe characters who do know as much of his backstory as he does, he comes off as extremely annoying. Misato, in tears, shouting "I'm just as like Shinji!" as the worst possible self-indictment of her character in Episode 15.

However, we see all of Subaru's trauma from when it starts (apparently he was a worthless piece of poo poo in Japan but it's unknown if and how any traumas there affect his mental well-being in Lugunica).

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Agronox posted:

Probably the worst scene in the entire show so far, IMO. There's dense and then there's mind-bogglingly stupid which until that point Subaru had never quite achieved.

From the perspective of my couch and having had a week to think about things since the previous episode, I thought that speaking up at the selection was ill-advised but realistic.

Hardly "mind-bogglingly stupid", just a case of someone opening his fat mouth when he should have kept it shut and making things awkward. Hell , I do that myself probably three times a week.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Mindblast posted:

:psyduck: what why would he even do this. Is Rem making that poo poo up or what.

For better or worse, he trusts Subaru to handle the ancillary tasks surrounding Emilia while he goes and meets with whomever. To this end, he needed to give Subie some sort of leverage should something important pop up.

For my part, I'm curious as to what EMT is going to think of Subaru going and risking his life, and Rem's life, for the sake of helping some random old dude avenge a decades-old grudge that Subaru had nothing to do with.

Choice 1. "If he's going to do stupid poo poo and get himself killed, it might as well be for me"
Choice 2. "Didn't that moron learn anything from our breakup?"

On a side note, regarding Rem and Roswaal (manga spoilers from early in the season) I read something somewhere suggesting that Roswaal explicitly told Rem "Hey, Subaru's going to try to go to the Royal Introductions- Don't try too hard to stop him"

What does it mean that that scene was removed, if anything?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

darkgray posted:

Too bad so much of Wilhelm's backstory got cut.
Who?

EDIT: On a more serious note, it was great to see a Kensei in action via Theresia for those 5 seconds or so. I was hoping that they'd use Crusch's infinite-length-sword to shave the whale though to get rid of that force-dispersing hair.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 14, 2016

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Raenir Salazar posted:

This is what I like about Persistent World servers is that sometimes you had interesting DM's who made things fun for random players who would otherwise just be grinding away.

Though the server performance always made things kind of lovely though.

I would love it if MMORPG's went more out of their way to hire a bushel of GM's whose purpose was actually to just go around messing with things that the players had to respond to ad-hoc.

Not like cheating, but, oops, the quest NPC has been kidnapped! Best to defeat this (conveniently level appropriate) boss to get him back!

The Bael'Zharon event is one of my favorite moments in my MMORPG career.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Condiv posted:

wasn't that tree supposed to be important?

That was my thought too, and I won't be terribly surprised if its demise leads to horrible things happening to the cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Hogama posted:

http://5pb.jp/games/2016/08/24/7765.html

I wonder if all the endings will be bad ends.

If Elsa's not a heroine, secret they will.

• Locked thread