Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been reading the manga, and even though it has some kind of stereotypically "anime" stuff the overall plot is very unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

HenryEx posted:

It's easy to say "experiment with your ability" since, well, it's just a story, but i have my doubts that you'd be too experimentation-happy with an ability that has your death as a prerequisite.
Especially if you know jack about it, every death you "intentionally" trigger could be your last because you don't know the exact conditions it operates under.

Also, repeatedly going through something terrible does not, contrary to popular belief, make it easier. If anything it makes you more mentally averse to the terrible thing as you become more familiar with it (since it becomes easy to vividly remember how terrible the experience is).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Just caught up with the most recent episode of this series, and I like how the main character has these super obvious character flaws and has trouble coping with his experiences. While I don't know if I can really say his reactions are realistic (since no one really knows how someone would react to dying multiple times), they're certainly more realistic than other fiction that has had a similar plot device. As someone who has personally gone through repeated physically traumatic experiences, I can guarantee that it does not become easier with time. In reality, it's the complete opposite; the more you experience something truly awful, the more afraid you become of it (because your memories of the experience just become more and more vivid). And this seems to be the way his experiences are affecting Subaru. Most fiction usually takes a "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" approach, but that's complete bullshit and only applies up to a certain degree of suffering. Anything beyond that is just a liability that traumatizes you.

It's a shame there won't be an LN translation that goes past this anime for quite a while. While I'm pretty comfortable with Japanese grammar/vocabulary and the way different dialects sound and could probably slowly get through the web novel content with that kanji/vocab browser plugin someone mentioned, it's a huge pain in the rear end and I can't really enjoy reading something if I have to slowly parse each sentence individually. It's a shame I'm so lazy, because I have a strong enough foundation that it probably wouldn't take too long for me to get comfortable reading stuff like web novels (maybe just a few months if I regularly practiced reading stuff).

edit: Actually I had read the manga up until part way through the second arc, so I'm just now watching the anime episodes for the first arc. Did they replace the time where Subaru gets shanked by the thugs with him beating the poo poo out of them? If so that's kinda silly; even if he's in decent shape he shouldn't be able to handle multiple people like that.

edit2: Oh it's the one after that.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 31, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hm, in episode 4 Puck mentions "kind of being able to read" Subaru's mind. If that's true (and it would explain why he doesn't act suspicious towards him from the start) then it might stand to reason he is aware of Subaru's ability.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

After this past episode, (spoilered just because the most recent episode cemented this belief)I'm about 95% sure Rem is going to die permanently. She is the ideal option in terms of being an important character who isn't quite so important that they're absolutely necessary to the plot. I would actually go so far as to say there's a good chance she'll be killed off during this arc. She's already gone through her whole personal arc and expressed all her feelings to Subaru. I would love to be proved wrong here, but I just don't see that happening.

As sad as it is, I'm actually okay with Subaru rejecting Rem. Even though he's spent more time with Rem and the viewer has been exposed to her more than Emilia, Emilia is still the first person Subaru became close to and it's not really his fault that he fell in love with her. If anything, I think it's good that he was so upfront with telling Rem instead of beating around the bush. The Rem situation combined with the high number of female characters does make me a little concerned that Subaru will end up with a harem of sorts (WNs usually gradually add to the harem over the course of the story until you end up with like 10+ girls interested in the protagonist), though I'm really hoping that won't happen. On the bright side (regarding the above spoilered stuff)if Rem dies it might indicate that he's not going to gradually build a giant harem.

As a side note regarding Subaru's power, one important thing to keep in mind is that, in practice, it's actually quite limited in terms of what it lets him do by himself. You'll often see in media like Edge of Tomorrow how the protagonist will use the time-loops to perfectly predict every single movement of his enemies, but that isn't realistic. The amount that humans can memorize is limited, and I really doubt that a normal human being would be capable of completely memorizing and executing the necessary movements over a long fight, no matter how many loops he/she experiences.

One thing I'm curious about is if it's acceptable (or even just possible) for other characters to infer Subaru's power, or for him to very indirectly imply it. I'm guessing that the latter probably isn't okay; the witch will probably step in if she detects the intent to communicate his ability, even if he isn't explicitly saying it. But it seems like the combination of Subaru knowing stuff that's going to happen, being really upset about that stuff, and being traumatized in general might be enough for someone to at least guess that he has some sort of power related to time loops. Not to mention the fact that the witch is clearly okay with Subaru talking out-loud to himself about his situation; if someone overheard that, they could guess what's going on. If the inferring his ability actually was okay, he could do something along the lines of asking other people how they think he might know about the future and nodding or shaking his head in response to what they say. But I imagine the witch would stop him at the first step once it realized his intent.

Overall I think it's best that no one realize his ability, though it might be a little implausible for no one to ever guess about it. If that happens I imagine the witch might actually kill the person who guesses it correctly, forcing Subaru to create some plausible alternative explanation (an obvious one being that he has precognition).

edit: One completely unrelated thing that bugged me a little about the first arc is the fact that someone slicing open your stomach would take a REALLY long time to kill you (with the death possibly being the rest of septic shock rather than bleeding out). Certainly not the several minutes it took in the show.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

I dunno, I feel like a Doctor Who-ish Everybody lives Rose! JUST THIS ONCE! EVERYBODY LIVES!! is kinda of Subaru's and the story's end goal. I think this was established during the second arc, Subaru has no real reason that he has to save the village or Rem/Ram, but he felt compelled to nevertheless.

He doesn't control the checkpoints, though. There's jack poo poo he can do if someone dies and he passes the next checkpoint.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regaridng the possibility of Rem (permanently) dying, another reason I think it's likely is that it's one of few remaining ways to make Subaru feel terrible (which is kind of a recurring trend). He's already experienced all of his loved ones dying, so the only way to really one-up that is to have one of them die permanently. Rem is a good option because she has significance to the plot (but not too much) and doesn't have any remaining mysteries about her character that need to be resolved (for example, we don't know what Beatrice's deal is, so she's unlikely to permanently die until we do).

Personally I hope she doesn't die; I just think it's likely.

sarehu posted:

What do you mean a "long fight"? Fights are short and quick. Regarding memorization and execution:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hnWo8PxrOR4

That's only the case if you're anywhere near as strong as your opponent. In Subaru's case he would be dealing with people who are capable of easily dodging most of his attacks and following up their own. So if, for example Subaru says "If I punch at his face he'll kick my leg" and dodges the kick, the guy he's fighting would probably be able to follow it up before he's able to do anything. And then there's the fact that he would need pretty detailed information about each movement the opponent makes; he can't just remember "he's going to kick my leg", he needs to remember exactly where and how he's going to kick his leg and the exact movements he made prior to that. So he's stuck having to store all this super detailed information about everything his opponent does up until he's lucky enough to come across an opening.

ninjewtsu posted:

Also the butterfly effect is what prevents subaru from memorizing exactly what people do in a fight. Even if large events go roughly the same way, it's been shown a few times in the past that they rarely play out exactly the same, so small details like "from what angle will a guy swing his sword in his third attack" probably can't be predicted, even if "if I say this at this point, this guy with a sword picks a fight with me" can be predicted

This is basically what I'm saying. There's a huge amount of data involved in trying to precisely act out the choreography of a fight, and that's assuming some tiny thing you do prior to the fight doesn't indirectly result in your opponent doing different things.

Raenir Salazar posted:

This is true, but so far each check point has required implicitly or explicitly, that he saves everyone in order to proceed. There can be many cynical reasons for this.

We've only seen three checkpoints, one of which was the starting one so it doesn't really count. That's not enough to determine a trend.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 2, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Annointed posted:

Now on the off hand, what would have happened if he did just entirely gave up and becomes a vegetable from all the pain and loss? What happens then? Does she just pluck him into her realm prison forever or something? Or if he dies enough times the Witch Scent corrupts him?

Presumably the witch is able to magically know that Subaru is the type of person this won't happen to, possibly for the same reason she has crazy time powers in the first place. It's also not totally clear if the witch scent is directly tied to deaths or if it's tied to his state of mind; because his state of minds is generally closely related to the deaths it's hard to differentiate between the two.

edit: I hope that there aren't multiple timelines in this and that going back in time actually means erasing the existing timeline. I don't generally like the sort of time travel where all other timelines continues to exist, because it effectively means that the protagonist didn't really accomplish much and everyone in 99.999% of timelines is still screwed (*cough* Zero Escape series *cough*).

I know that they've shown stuff after him dying (when he gets frozen in episode 15 for example), but I think that may have been more of a stylistic decision than one actually implying that timeline will continue.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 2, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Annointed posted:

I always hate that form of time travel, makes the protagonist basically the only lord and savior that can keep the pathetic sheep from running off a cliff.

It's more that it makes the protagonist only the "lord and savior" of a single timeline. Like, it doesn't really matter much if Subaru just manages to save 1 out of hundreds of timelines he ends up experiencing. I guess it's better than nothing to have one "successful" timeline out of many, but it just makes the success feel hollow.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This bothers me because he refers to the stars and then says "who else" in the next line, which I'm pretty sure is somehow grammatically incorrect because "the stars" aren't a person.

Regarding the scene that is making fun of, I honestly don't really know how Subaru could have dealt with it better. It's not like he forced Rem to talk about how much she loves him, and it would have been more of a dick move to not directly respond to her feelings.

Actually, regarding Subaru/Rem, I like how straight-forward and upfront the characters are about their romantic interests. In most WNs/manga/anime the girl would just heavily imply she's interested in the main character but not actually explicitly say it (and to the character in question no less). Same goes for Subaru knowing he wants Emilia, which avoids the whole "who will he pick?!" nonsense and makes me hopeful about there not being a harem.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kortel posted:

Rem is the witch, she's just finally snapped and is putting her self in every aspect of Subaru's life via time travel. She doesn't care how he does things, just that she is involved in some form. Be it her past self or current self.
She looks like Emillia because she is jealous, rather than Emillia looks like her.

Joking aside, this isn't really consistent with her rejecting the idea of loving off to live in that other country with Subaru.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How does magic work in this setting? Puck mentioned people usually having one of several types of magic, with dark/light being relatively rare. Does this mean everyone in this setting is technically capable of using magic, with the only difference being how well they can do it?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I thought the dialogue in this recent episode was really great. It's true that I'm a bit of a sucker for melodrama, but I feel like the whole structure and language used during Subaru and Rem's conversation was extremely well done. Rem makes some valid points* and ends up being the one to save Subaru from losing his way. (edit: The voice acting is also amazing.)

There are a lot of people in the Crunchyroll comments section who share ViggyNash's view, though, so maybe my opinion is uncommon. Then again, the Crunchyroll comments section is also constantly super angry that Subaru isn't acting like Tom Cruise in Edge of Tomorrow and repeatedly sacrificing himself to become stronger.

*For example, one major point Rem makes is basically that Subaru isn't the final judge of his own character. Other people (Rem in this case) are capable of seeing him from a different perspective and have been positively influenced by him. He doesn't have the right to deny that.

edit: Also, given the way this anime has been produced in general, it's clear they aren't really cutting corners. The producers knew this was an important scene and chose to reproduce it faithfully as a result.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 5, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Agronox posted:

It's the Shinji problem, where people start to really dislike a protagonist who gives up hope or gets mopey.

Judging by the end of the episode we might not see much more of that anyway, though.

I enjoyed the ep regardless.

This guy has a really good excuse for getting that way, though. Shinji got mopey before having a ton of traumatizing experiences.

Also, this type of protagonist isn't really that common. From reading the Crunchyroll comments, people seem to think that all anime protagonists are weak and whiny, despite there being a million light novel adaptations with ridiculously overpowered protagonists.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 5, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm not sure how you draw that conclusion given how by the first episode Shinji has already seen his mother (apparently) die in front of his eyes and been abandoned by his father

Yeah, I should have stated that better. Shinji also had a good reason to be depressed, though it's still not quite at the level of seeing literally everyone he cares about (in the parallel world, at least) get killed in addition to repeatedly suffering the physical pain of dying himself.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You know, one thing that isn't really clear is how someone who was an antisocial loser in Japan suddenly becomes this fearless guy willing to risk his life over and over again in this parallel world. Part of me wonders if it has something to do with his emotional extremes with respect to the sins stuff (greed, pride, etc).

edit: I get how he initially thought the world would conform to reincarnation story tropes and tried to take advantage of that, but it seems like after his first experience painfully dying that illusion would have been broken.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Slime posted:

Theory: The scent of the witch is just stank rear end body odour because Subaru has been wearing the same clothes this whole time.

It gets worse after he dies because he immediately breaks into a sweat from the stress.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Anyways, I don't think Subaru's "charisma" is particularly unreasonable. You can coast pretty hard on being young, attractive, and relatively confident, and at the same time it's clear that he's pretty bad at actually understanding and relating to people -- uncomfortably so, even. A change of environment is great for breaking habits but it isn't going to change who you are, etc.

He's still a fantasy protagonist and idealized accordingly but he's not really outside the realm of belief.

It helps that the people he interacts with tend to be pretty broken and/or socially needy, so they react well to him merely being friendly towards them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Agronox posted:

Probably the worst scene in the entire show so far, IMO. There's dense and then there's mind-bogglingly stupid which until that point Subaru had never quite achieved.

I think it's more that Subaru is unhinged, if not literally somewhat insane. He seems to have some sort of savior complex and can't deal with not always playing a leading role (which is why he broke his promise with Emilia and followed her in the first place).

edit: Basically, the audience is supposed to think "this guy is being dumb and crazy." Not all protagonists need to be 100% competent and mentally stable.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kytrarewn posted:

From the perspective of my couch and having had a week to think about things since the previous episode, I thought that speaking up at the selection was ill-advised but realistic.

Hardly "mind-bogglingly stupid", just a case of someone opening his fat mouth when he should have kept it shut and making things awkward. Hell , I do that myself probably three times a week.

To be fair, most people can read the atmosphere and know that it's not okay for an audience member at an event like that to suddenly start yelling stuff. I chalk it up more to a combination of Subaru's questionable mental state and the fact that up until that point all his experiences had reinforced the perception on his part that he's the protagonist and destined to always come out ahead.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

Watching 2 people just talk to each other for an entire episode isn't a terribly entertaining prospect tbh. I thought they did a good enough job with it that I wasn't personally terribly bothered with it, but I see where ViggyNash is coming from. I'd have enjoyed the episode a lot more they had shortened the conversation from 18 minutes to 13 minutes and gave us an extra 5 minutes of Other Things Happening, while still giving the conversation enough time to be developed and meaningful.

The thing is, that conversation is a really important part of the story (to the extent they even lengthened the episode a little to fit it all) and I think that there wasn't much they could cut from it. It was reproduced almost word for word from the web novel. It wasn't something done to save money or something; judging from the rest of the episodes, this series isn't really cutting any corners.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Belgian Waffle posted:

Nah, it makes sense. In a different show, this entire episode would have been condensed into about 3-5 minutes to cover all the main points so that we can get Subaru back to moving the story along.
But this isn't a different show, so we get this extra long episode for one scene of dialogue and we're never getting a death montage.
Like what you're saying, this is about the characters and this show has been consistently character-driven all throughout. People who are focused on the narrative are going to be disappointed.

I know a guy that acts just like Subaru in those sorts of situations but replace Emilia with Oculus Rift.

I actually like the narrative as well. If it involved him doing a death montage and becoming a badass it would be like every other WN/LN adaptation, and I'm grateful that it's not like that. I honestly have no clue where the story is going, and the way it's being told is very unique. The setting isn't anything especially interesting, but the narrative/plot is.

edit: The other thing I like about this story that is harder to really explain/articulate is that it seems to have a lot of genuine emotion/"soul" to it. I actually feel moved by some of the stuff that happens in this show, which I think is due to a mix between the story itself and some pretty excellent production values (the voice acting in the most recent episode was outstanding).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Actually one thing I really like about the setting is that magic is legit scary stuff, in so many other fantasy settings the magic feels anemic because it just gets shrugged off by so many characters. Part of that is obviously perspective, we see things from the perspective of someone who is relatively weak so all the magic poo poo remains a huge threat but some of the stuff is just straight up scary like the invisible hands, the whale's power, killing curses that take nothing more than a touch, etcetera.

Yeah, though we haven't really had much of a chance to see magic in action, other than Roswall and Ram exploding and slicing (respectively) some poo poo up and Subaru using his blinding smoke bomb thing. I'm curious to see if Subaru ever learns new stuff. I like that shadow magic isn't some super badass power thing in this, but it still sounds pretty useful and can probably be used creatively in a number of ways.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

3. (Before Roswaal leaves the capital with Emilia) Form an alliance with Crusch

Hm, if this is the case then why didn't Rem make any effort to convince Subaru to form an alliance with Crusch in the other timelines?

Also, those points make it sounds like Roswal might know what's going on with Subaru, though the part where Roswal gets pissed at Subaru for not revealing what he knows about Rem's death in that one Arc 2 timeline sort of goes against that theory. I guess it's possible that he's at least inferred that Subaru has some way of knowing stuff about the future.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

This is from the manga.

I'm reading the manga stuff from the third arc, and Al recognizes the "-tan" Subaru uses when referring to Emilia. Can't remember if that was in the anime or not, since it would have been easy to miss.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is that Kirigiri from Dangan Ronpa in the bottom left

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

(spoilers, obv) 2ch deciphered the tree carvings:

It says "Flugel was here" ....in Japanese. With Flugel in Katakana, which is obviously not a Japanese name.

DOUBLE SPOILERS

And the carvings kind of look similar to Subaru's handwriting. Time travel/reincarnation plot confirmed? More likely deliberately loving with the viewer, though.

I don't think the handwriting is similar enough to Subaru's to mean anything. It's interesting that Flugel was apparently another person from Japan, though (also lol at how it's always Japanese people who are imported into parallel worlds).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Eh, given that the original work is a web novel it could probably benefit from some editing while being adapted. I don't have a problem with them changing things in and of itself, though I would rather they not leave things out just because they don't expect to animate past this season.

madmac posted:

In any case, I remain hopeful for a second season, if only because the show is doing well and the series is apparently popular enough to support poo poo like three concurrent manga adaptions drawn by different artists, or a fast selling LN series that already has a bunch of published sidestory books even though it's only 8-9 story volumes in.

While I really hope you're right, it's important to remember that the anime's main job is selling the LNs, and one season is enough to accomplish that goal (more seasons would just have diminishing returns in terms of increasing LN sales, or the sales of some other merchandise like figurines). It seems like the anime itself needs to be adequately profitable for them to make a second season.

I really hope they do, because I've been experimenting with reading the web novel recently and I've found that, while I can almost always tell what is generally happening, a lot of the tone is lost on me and I have trouble parsing all the parts where Subaru is thinking to himself and feeling various emotions (which happens a lot). Like, I'm fine if it's saying "Subaru went to X and did Y" but it's hard to translate the parts where it's giving some fanciful description of how stressed out or depressed Subaru is (for example, you'll have some syntax that directly translates to something like "Subaru's eyes that are expressing the feeling of having lost something important stared at Rem"; it seems like Japanese frequently attaches some absurdly long clauses to nouns).

Raenir Salazar posted:

Honestly Re:Zero is so good that I think it balances out the fact that there's a lot of "fun" wish fulfillment schlock.

The only real wish fulfillment aspects seem to be 1. the fact that he's surrounded by attractive women (and this would be fine as long as they don't all end up romantically interested in him) and 2. he's capable of being absurdly brave and having his crazy plans work out more often than not (which is kind of unpreventable given he's the protagonist). Regarding the former, I'm really really hoping that they stick to just Emilia and Rem being romantic interests. I'm optimistic given that Felt x Reinhard seems to be a thing and some of the other women already seem more or less paired up (like Priscilla and Al). I find that 2 love interests seems to be the "sweet spot" where it's still wish fulfillment but not to the extent it prevents me from enjoying the story.

That being said, I am expecting him to acquire some ability to fight at some point in the (probably distant) future, though hopefully it'll just put him on the level of some his peers rather than making him a Reinhard-esque figure. Maybe something that leverages the witch power hanging around him, like Betelgeuse's unseen hands.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 8, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

darkgray posted:

Are they still translating Kensei as "Master Swordsman"?

Now the connection has been revealed, I can finally state my disappointment that the translation doesn't really seem to catch the contrast of Kensei and Kenki, since in Japanese it's 剣聖 and 剣鬼 as in "Sword+Saint/Holy" and "Sword+Demon". They're also kind of uniquely given titles, not just a rank or whatever.

Not saying it's wrong, mind you.

When does it mention Kenki?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ I think that it's probably possibly to adapt most introspective-ish stuff, even if you have to make it less explicit. During the conversation between Subaru and Rem, for example, in the WN it mentioned Subaru thinking about how Rem (or he) might die if he tries to explain things, and in the anime they show him shaking his head in a way that directly implies that he can't bring himself to risk doing so, and the viewer can infer why. In the worst case scenario, you can always just have Subaru think "outloud" and/or show visuals in the background that detail what he's thinking about.

darkgray posted:

Hm? It's how Wilhelm is kind of introduced in ep 12, when Felix is talking to him in the dragon carriage on their way back.

Ah, I forgot about that. Did they call him "Kenki" or translate it to "sword demon"? It's possible I just interpreted it as "he's a demon with a sword" when it was first mentioned, rather than being some sort of title.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 8, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

Why do people romantically pair up Priscilla/Al or Crusch/Felix? Felt and Reinhard I can see given he's the almost literal knight in shining armor that came to the rescue of a damsel in distress and then elevated her from the street urchin life she was struggling to escape to the status of a princess (with bumps along the way), but those other two pairings... what romance are people seeing?

In my case I was just referring to the potential for romance, since you're correct that there's not really any evidence of there being anything between those characters.

I really hope Ram/Roswaal is not actually a thing, because that's kinda skeevy if it is. There was that one sort of intimate scene where he's giving her mana, but it's possible that's just how giving mana works.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

darkgray posted:

A lot of anime watchers seem like they'd be happier reading bullet point summaries instead.

Nah, it's more that they want it to be like other isekai WNs/LNs where the show just consists of the protagonist being awesome and getting praised constantly (anything else is filler that can be ignored). These are the same people who watch something like Mahouka and call it "refreshing."

There's this bizarre perception that a "anime/manga/etc protagonists are always weak" is a trope that exists, despite the complete opposite being true. I honestly have no idea where this idea comes from; it might just be some attempt at justifying the fact that they want to watch terrible stuff like Mahouka.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

smenj posted:

To be fair, even if he hadn't the rights to give them away, Roswaal might've been less annoyed once he discovered Subaru had done so in order to show up at his door with an army to stop an attack that would've killed everyone in his house and the village next to it (and by extension stop Puck destroying the country, should Roswaal be aware of that problem). Though I guess the ones most annoyed would be Crusch and co., having found out that they legally had no right to the stuff they were promised...

Yeah, even if you ignore the anime leaving out him explicitly being given the rights, Subaru knows for a fact that Roswaal's "family" is going to be killed unless he does something, and it's very doubtful that Roswaal is going to get angry at him given he didn't have any other tools to bargain with. Since Subaru honestly has the intent to give the mining rights and good reason to believe Roswaal would approve it, it would probably pass Crusch's "lie detector" as well.

Though, again, all of this is irrelevant since he did explicitly have the rights (kinda weird they left that out, since I also thought it was kinda funny and assumed he was just "doing what needed to be done" and half-bluffing about the mining rights).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PerrineClostermann posted:

Crusch has a proven lie detector, and it didn't go off when Subaru said he could offer the mining rights. Seems explicit enough to me.

Yeah, though it could have just been the case that Subaru honestly believed it was okay for him to bargain off the mining rights, given the situation. If Crusch's lie detector ability only detects whether there's an intent to deceive, it wouldn't notice if someone honestly believes something that might happen to be false.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 10, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: Posted in wrong thread!

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 11, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Liver Disaster posted:

Felix is following the dream of being as cute as possible while also being a high level knight.
Checks out!

Excuse me, Ferris. :colbert:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PerrineClostermann posted:

Ferris is just a nickname

:colbert:

Ferris was also the nickname of that character from Steins;Gate and you almost never heard anyone call her anything different :colbert:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

madmac posted:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2016/08/13/feature-rezero-director-and-composer-discuss-who-the-true-heroine-is-emilia-or-rem

another translated interview. (No spoilers if you're up to date with the anime)

I like how 18+ episodes in the director is all "I'd like to have both the OP/ED in an episode someday..."

It's really interesting how frequently this show doesn't do the OP and/or ED. Is it just because the director doesn't feel like he can communicate the story as well without the extra time? I certainly don't mind at all, but it's interesting given I can't think of a single other anime that has done that.

In general, this show gives me the feeling that budget isn't much of a concern. Almost every single episode has a "last episode" sort of feel to it in terms of production.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lol the crunchyroll comments, what is wrong with people:

quote:

getting drat tired of only women being the strongest in every anime these days (haha what). Thank goodness for Berserk

quote:

WELP GG Subaru, 3 whales... Seriously tho, I'm just waiting for the moment Subaru unlocks some next Powers. xD

This episode was okay I guess, though I feel they could have condensed it a lot more. There's not really any reason they couldn't have almost immediately (after maybe a handful of attacks from the army) skipped to the whale eating Wilhelm and splitting into three. Everything else was just people riding around and occasionally slashing the whale (to little effect).

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

While the main characters of re:zero are no doubt Subaru and Emilia, it also has a very strong supporting cast of characters so it is such a shame to see the anime literally butcher them like that but whatever, this isn't something new that the anime has done and it's a losing battle to fight over. Anyway for anyone wondering how people know how many were lost from the fog attack, Crusch specifically organized all the squads to have 15 members each. If the captain of the squad could only recall the names of 12 of their members then that means two got erased. Since Subaru for whatever reason is able to retain the memories of those lost, he privately comments on how bullshit OP the whales's fog attacks are since one of the squad captains reporting in was actually the vice captain but the world and everyones memories were rewritten to have the vice captain become the captain when the real captain got erased.

It's a little strange it didn't also rewrite history to the squads just containing a different number of members, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

From what little we've seen of Wilhelm, there might be vague parallel between the situation where he says something that upsets and drives away the previous Sword Saint and what happened between Subaru and Emilia.

• Locked thread