Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I suppose this is blasphemous but I've always been a Harryhausen guy so personally I prefer Mighty Joe Young to even the OG King Kong. Harryhausen's animation makes Joe into much more of an actual character, and the big finale at the orphanage is an amazing scene.

I guess it's not totally fair to compare the two though because Harryhausen had the benefit of about 15 years of special effects advancements. 15 years is a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

PRESIDENT OF THE OFFICIAL BRENDAN FRASER FAN CLUB

Speaking of which - this little promotional picture came up on Facebook the other day. Love seeing crisp photos like this!

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Big Man Japan is truly a special film.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Burkion posted:

The Blob looks fantastic as a Blob in the 50s film- I also found the way it worked more disturbing than the 80s version. The 80s version dissolved you with acid, but the original CONVERTED you. You didn't dissolve, you simply became more mass for it.

I haven't seen either but given the 50s, is the Blob supposed to be a communism metaphor? Feels very 'oh no the evil mass taking away your individuality!' anxiety.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

EVERY FAIRY TALE NEEDS ITS HERO.

Shiroc posted:

I haven't seen either but given the 50s, is the Blob supposed to be a communism metaphor? Feels very 'oh no the evil mass taking away your individuality!' anxiety.

I mean, you could read it as that, but that was definitely not the intention. The film was made by a commune of Christian filmmakers (and one producer who just wanted to make a cool monster movie) who wanted to create a film brimming with compassion for the youth of the day. The director's previous film was a scare-tactic juvenile delinquent film (that was taken away from him and had a bunch of exploitative sleaze put into it), and he wanted to create a film that sympathized with "good kids" of the day and modeled positive behavior while also recognizing that teens will be teens and we should cut them a break.

Violator
May 15, 2003

One thing I like about the 50ís Blob was that the bully teens are kind of jerks but are actually not bad and quickly jump in to help. Not every movie needs evil human characters. Itís also why I like most disaster movies, people working together against a common problem or foe.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM

Though the art book isn't coming out for a while, various bits of Godzilla vs Kong concept art are being released on the Internet:

Apparently at some point in planning the natives of Skull Island were going to be evacuated by Monarch, but that was axed. The scene with the hellhawks was going to feature a giant parent hellhawk attacking a H.E.A.V. There's also art of Zhang Ziyi's characters and two children looking on at Mothra in a cocoon.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1383247827501940740?s=20

gatorzilla

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

I do not like King Ghidorah having hands.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Skinny Ghidorah and Turn of the Century Strongman Godzilla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Shiroc posted:

I do not like King Ghidorah having hands.

Same, Broadzilla seems pretty good though.