Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I didn't get the impression he did that, when was that said?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Karloff posted:

I didn't get the impression he did that, when was that said?
The credits say something like “Defeated” for all of them, but the outside materials like the novelization clarify they’re not dead, they’re just back hibernating at Godzilla’s command.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

In the movie Mark refers to Godzilla as the last thing still keeping the peace with the other Kaiju going up in flames (after the Pensacola attack) so it’s clear they’re still around in the movie itself.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Urdnot Fire posted:

The credits say something like “Defeated” for all of them, but the outside materials like the novelization clarify they’re not dead, they’re just back hibernating at Godzilla’s command.

I haven't read the extra material. The credits saying Godzilla defeated the other titans was a little deflating.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Singular Point is becoming one of the most fascinating G series in a long long time.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

Not sure what this means, but in America the last 4 years have been politics devolving into nothing but dumb conspiracy bullshit with Q and all that so people aren't exactly thrilled about a hero conspiracy theorist.

He's a good conspiracy theorist like Brace Belden and not a bad one like Alex Jones.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Mantis42 posted:

He's a good conspiracy theorist like a young Alex Jones.

There were go

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Singular Point is becoming one of the most fascinating G series in a long long time.

Tell me more about what you like about it, please.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

VanSandman posted:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Please not to be spoiling anything about the anime, thanks!!!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Yeah, I don't think Hollow Earth lore or continuity is something we need to waste a lot of time picking apart here or worrying about for any future films. That's like obsessing over how the new Resident Evil game is going to work in the story line from the 10 or 15 other ones.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah I'm really enjoying it, just watched ep 5 and I'm hype for ep 6

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

VanSandman posted:

SP quasi spoilers, don't click: I am really, really taken by the new ideas on how such creatures could possibly exist and the slow burn on the reveal of the reasons. Being non neurotypical I also am enjoying seeing traits that I recognize in some of the characters and the new takes on old Godzilla tropes.

Note that my three favorite G films are 1954, Shin, and G vs Hedorah so my tastes align with horror and fascination side of them, so this is fitting my niche.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I had no idea Bandai made another wave of Godzilla figs. There’s a Jet Jaguar fig in that set that I had to pick up.

Edit: be warned, JJ is hard to stand. But the mold is good.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 2, 2021

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I thought he just defeated them, not not literally murdered them all?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I thought he just defeated them, not not literally murdered them all?

You're right, they talk about them hibernating and we literally see them bow down to him the movie before. Do people think there was a battle we missed?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

You're right, they talk about them hibernating and we literally see them bow down to him the movie before. Do people think there was a battle we missed?

There were several, in the books and comics, etc. But they all just restore the status quo set at the end of the last movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/ZaGorudan/status/1389039256459436043?s=20

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Asylum is starting to get better at movies and it's making Hollywood nervous.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

drat Zilla just can’t catch a break, huh

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

drat Zilla just can’t catch a break, huh

She can only be defeated by kaiju as poorly rendered as her

Against everything else, she's invincible

Violator
May 15, 2003

I'm guessing there's no joy in making these. I would think you could find some folks who would love to work with small budgets just for the thrill of it and the ingenuity. I always think about how much fun it must have been to make stuff like Bloodsport or Evil Dead 1 or Alligator. But these have always just felt so devoid of love and joy. If you're going to make a mockbuster of GvK wouldn't it make more sense to go practical and build suits and cities and beat the poo poo out of each other? Go back to basics of the original but turn it to 11 and go full Crank and make something people will talk about.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ok

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Even if you didn't give a poo poo and had a very small budget it does seem like there's an opportunity to attempt to one-up the real film with quantity of monster stuff. Godzilla vs Kong might have 15 minutes of very high quality CGI spectacle, but our movie we made in the garage has 45 minutes of low quality dudes in low quality suits having low quality fights! People say the human stuff is always boring and they just want monster fights, well here you go!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Violator posted:

I'm guessing there's no joy in making these. I would think you could find some folks who would love to work with small budgets just for the thrill of it and the ingenuity. I always think about how much fun it must have been to make stuff like Bloodsport or Evil Dead 1 or Alligator. But these have always just felt so devoid of love and joy. If you're going to make a mockbuster of GvK wouldn't it make more sense to go practical and build suits and cities and beat the poo poo out of each other? Go back to basics of the original but turn it to 11 and go full Crank and make something people will talk about.

Passion projects take time. Mockbusters do not have the luxury of time.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Kaiju films are tough to make on a really small budget. It’s not just the monsters, you want buildings for them to wreck (either miniatures or CG) and military vehicles getting stomped, crowds fleeing in terror, etc.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I genuinely admire The Asylum's commitment to filling as much of the frame with flat, unadorned concrete as possible. I feel like every movie of theirs I've ever seen takes place in a parking garage.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Splint Chesthair posted:

I genuinely admire The Asylum's commitment to filling as much of the frame with flat, unadorned concrete as possible. I feel like every movie of theirs I've ever seen takes place in a parking garage.

Let’s not forget Atlantic Rim which takes place inside an abandoned bar, a community college library, and the same cardboard box “redressed” three times.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I heard an interview with the Asylum founders on the NPR show Marketplace of all things, and they basically just bragged the entire time about how efficient they were at cranking out movies for zero dollars. The main effort goes into coming up with concepts like Shark in Tornado or whatever, followed by the title & cover, and lastly and least importantly an actual movie made as cheaply as possible. They are very, very aware that they are just selling the idea of a film so people can go “omg I just watched this movie called Were-Bear vs Bigfoot it was sooo bad lol.”

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh man I thought the post I was okaying was in response to GvK

I’m sorry

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

david_a posted:

I heard an interview with the Asylum founders on the NPR show Marketplace of all things, and they basically just bragged the entire time about how efficient they were at cranking out movies for zero dollars. The main effort goes into coming up with concepts like Shark in Tornado or whatever, followed by the title & cover, and lastly and least importantly an actual movie made as cheaply as possible. They are very, very aware that they are just selling the idea of a film so people can go “omg I just watched this movie called Were-Bear vs Bigfoot it was sooo bad lol.”

You've also gotta find the money to pay Eric Roberts to show up for his obligatory five minutes of screentime.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

I don't understand how it's possible to make a CG fight this boring. You can literally do anything. It's like they put effort into making that as bland and flat as possible.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pretty much the Roger Corman school of production. If you don't really spend money on production and market wisely, your films will always make money. It absolutely does not matter that the finished film is bad. Make sure that everyone will know it is bad as soon as they look at the title. That's the strategy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Pretty much the Roger Corman school of production. If you don't really spend money on production and market wisely, your films will always make money. It absolutely does not matter that the finished film is bad. Make sure that everyone will know it is bad as soon as they look at the title. That's the strategy.

Don't you dare compare Roger Corman to the Asylum. Roger Corman was a genius.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Roger Corman usually gave money to people who, while not well known or popular, wanted to make movies. His movies had flaws but most of them are at least enjoyable to watch, bc at least a few people involved were passionate about it. Asylum has no one who cares working on thier films

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

mandatory lesbian posted:

Roger Corman usually gave money to people who, while not well known or popular, wanted to make movies. His movies had flaws but most of them are at least enjoyable to watch, bc at least a few people involved were passionate about it. Asylum has no one who cares working on thier films

Roger Corman produced Francis Ford Coppola and Steven Spielberg's first movies! Roger Corman wrote and shot Little Shop of Horrors in a loving week! Roger Corman gave Jack Nichoson his first starring role!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

Roger has some good movies under his belt and a lot of big deals got their breaks working with him, but he also is the biggest name in the "so bad it's not even good" genre. Plenty of Syfy Originals in there, and there was nothing new about churning out movies on an assembly line even when he got his start.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Roger Corman is easily one of the greatest directors in western cinema. He just happens to also not give a poo poo about prestige while being acutely aware of how to make a profit and deliver underbudget.

The Asylum also know how to deliver underbudget and with time to spare, but they accomplish this by doing almost nothing, rather than taking fresh director & writer & sfx & actor aspirants under the wing of someone who knows every penny pinching trick in filmmaking.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 4, 2021

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Coreman knew how to make them cheap and entertaining

Once in a while he made gold. He had fantastic actors, fantastic talent, or some times all at once. Dude is incomparable to Asylum, who only want to make things cheap and forgot about the entertainment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Corman collaborated with Akira Kurosawa, he's not the same as the Asylum.