Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Maxwell Lord posted:

The only reason Godzilla isn’t the best movie of 1954 is that Seven Samurai came out the exact same year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's too many samurai. Gotta have just one or two.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Is Godzilla the ronin or the shogun?

The sound design is loving incredible. https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comments/bq7wsc/name_that_roar/

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

The only reason Godzilla isn’t the best movie of 1954 is that Seven Samurai came out the exact same year.
Secret of the Incas is right there.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

I have three for you right here on Netflix

Yeah but the Godzilla anime was boring as poo poo.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

This would make you poo poo your pants if you were hiking out in the open.
https://twitter.com/GodzillaMovieUK/status/1130110866131705856

Tekne fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 19, 2019

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I have three for you right here on Netflix

well maybe netflix should put them where i can see them!!!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tekne posted:

Shogun

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

The "trick" (if you want to call it that) with early positive reactions is that they're from people well-versed in the sci-fi genre or even kaiju fans in the first place. Talk about biased.

You could argue the opinions of general audiences and less geeky critics don't matter. Well, they sort of do if we want this going after G vs Kong.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

well maybe netflix should put them where i can see them!!!

They aren't worth watching.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

All that matters is my eyes and ears.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waffleman_ posted:

It's too many samurai. Gotta have just one or two.

That's ninja, not samurai.

Tekne posted:

Well, he's the king of the monsters, so shogun, clearly.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Godzilla is the self made king, ala Conan.

So both. He'd start as a Ronin, but kick so much rear end and conquer so many that he becomes Shogun.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Flash cast member Hartley Sawyer meets one of the stars at the premiere:

https://twitter.com/HartleySawyer/status/1129981922141020160

Also:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Got myself a new Godzilla for my cube! I want to buy a Neca one eventually but I'll settle for these cheap Bandai ones for now.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Detective No. 27 posted:

Got myself a new Godzilla for my cube! I want to buy a Neca one eventually but I'll settle for these cheap Bandai ones for now.

Heh. I've got the 2 on the fight, plus the G14 Bandai.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They must have pumped out the new line super fast, because the new one (Showa) used the same packaging from the 2014 release. I might go back and pick up Mecha Godzilla and King Gidorah next.

I got the little chibi kaiju surrounding them too.

Mechagodzilla and Destroyah's arms are posable.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

It'd be cool if someone with figures at the same scale lined them up like this.

Here's a sweet compilation of the Old Gods to get you even more pumped for next week. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AukEzceg5sk

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Target has a few decent NECA ones for like $20-$25 if you can find them in stock!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Slightly disappointed they're not lined up by neck height

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Tekne posted:

It'd be cool if someone with figures at the same scale lined them up like this.

Oh man, that would be one hell of a poster. For my son. My son would want that poster, because he's eight and I'm old, so only he would want that as a poster.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Oh man, that would be one hell of a poster. For my son. My son would want that poster, because he's eight and I'm old, so only he would want that as a poster.

im 27 and i want it

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Movie looks loving bad rear end. I didn't notice that the girl from Stranger Things was in it and took me a while to recognize the actor from The Departed.

My son (8) has been dying to go to IMAX and this looks like the perfect film to take him to for his first foray. I don't go to theaters much but this seems like an IMAX Must if I've ever heard of one for the sense of scale alone. He loves old Ultraman shows, rubber monsters and King Kong and wants to see something in 3d. I haven't heard anything about this one being in IMAX 3d so does anyone know if that's in the plan at all?

Also notice it's PG13 and he's 8 but I can't imagine we'd be facing too much beyond an occasional curse word and some civilian casualties/monster destruction but his mom is always riding me for things I let him watch even though I'm pretty good about it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

G'14 was pretty bloodless (maybe some on Cranston?) and I don't remember anything particularly gruesome done to human characters.

Skull Island ramped up the brutality.

Funny story, I was either 10 or 11 when the Emmerich Godzilla movie came out and my dad wanted to take me to it. He thought PG13 meant that 13 years old was a requirement for getting in. He made me dress up sunglasses, a backwards hat, and a shirt that was way too big for me to make me seem like a hip 90s teen to get in.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Detective No. 27 posted:

G'14 was pretty bloodless (maybe some on Cranston?) and I don't remember anything particularly gruesome done to human characters.

Funny story, I was either 10 or 11 when the Emmerich Godzilla movie came out and my dad wanted to take me to it. He thought PG13 meant that 13 years old was a requirement for getting in. He made me dress up sunglasses, a backwards hat, and a shirt that was way too big for me to make me seem like a hip 90s teen to get in.

He saw Skull Island and handled it perfectly fine. He loves watching me play RE2. Only thing in Jackson's King Kong that freaked him out were the natives. He's got odd sensibilities about stuff that sticks with him or gives him nightmares so I'm never quite sure but if I gently caress up and it goes wrong, I have to listen to my ex dress me down and lecture me. Endless texts, etc.

My ex who let him watch Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

So come to think of it, all bets are off and we're gonna go to IMAX and watch Godzilla wreck poo poo, god dammit. Pretty sure there's no monkey brains, telekinetic heart surgery and eyeball soup in it.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Jacksons Kong had dudes getting devoured by giant worms so the kid should be good to go

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BiggerBoat posted:

He saw Skull Island and handled it perfectly fine. He loves watching me play RE2. Only thing in Jackson's King Kong that freaked him out were the natives. He's got odd sensibilities about stuff that sticks with him or gives him nightmares so I'm never quite sure but if I gently caress up and it goes wrong, I have to listen to my ex dress me down and lecture me. Endless texts, etc.

So come to think of it, all bets are off and we're gonna go to IMAX and watch Godzilla wreck poo poo, god dammit. Pretty sure there's no monkey brains, telekinetic heart surgery and eyeball soup in it.

At the end of the day, this is the only way he'll understand what he likes and what doesn't. I loved Alien when I was 8, and couldn't wait for Resurrection. I was fine until the Newborn. Which freeeeaked my out. But I did learn I had a weird fear about skeleton monster things so, hey.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

CelticPredator posted:

But I did learn I had a weird fear about skeleton monster things so, hey.

Not to alarm you, but there is a skeleton inside you right now

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Leavemywife posted:

Not to alarm you, but there is a skeleton inside you right now

:chanpop:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh wow, RE2 even freaked me out at points.

I'm no expert on child psychology, but I'm sure whatever will freak him out will be pretty unexpected and seem benign to you. I had nightmares from the Mars Attacks martians for for years. I didn't find out it was a comedy until a decade later.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm no expert on child psychology, but I'm sure whatever will freak him out will be pretty unexpected and seem benign to you. I had nightmares from the Mars Attacks martians for for years. I didn't find out it was a comedy until a decade later.
Aint this the truest poo poo. My WW2 vet grandfather showed me James Cameron's Aliens at 5 years old and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Shortly afterward I saw Little Nemo: The Dream Master and it gave me horrible recurring nightmares. The child's brain is an inscrutable thing.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Detective No. 27 posted:

When I was a kid, the scene with the alien disguised as a woman sneaking into the White House scared the living poo poo out of me. I'm glad I wasn't the only kid that movie scared.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

This statue is rad as hell.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

tbf 98 godzilla should have been rated like PG at worst, i watched it when i was like 7 or 8 without any problems

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/spankzilla85/status/1131043002061922304

There's a disturbing lack of dapper kaiju nowadays

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

tbf 98 godzilla should have been rated like PG at worst, i watched it when i was like 7 or 8 without any problems

Yeah. I don't remember anything in it that was scarier than Jurassic Park.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

New Chinese poster for KOTM
https://twitter.com/resurrectiongoj/status/1131219039416721409?s=19

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Just rewatched Godzilla Returns and sadly it's pretty bad as Godzilla movies go.

Pros: The Cold War centric plot is a good idea on paper. Especially without the "Godzilla 1985" edits for US audiences that made the Russians more evil just because.

Cons: It's really loving dull and mostly looks like rear end for a movie made in 1984. Basically it doesn't work in the more serious vein of the original, or as goofy fun like say Invasion of Astro-Monster.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

sean10mm posted:

Just rewatched Godzilla Returns and sadly it's pretty bad as Godzilla movies go.

Pros: The Cold War centric plot is a good idea on paper. Especially without the "Godzilla 1985" edits for US audiences that made the Russians more evil just because.

Cons: It's really loving dull and mostly looks like rear end for a movie made in 1984. Basically it doesn't work in the more serious vein of the original, or as goofy fun like say Invasion of Astro-Monster.

Yeah, it was a struggle to get through. I've just done Biollante as well, and Ghidorah awhile ago, and although they're better they're still not great. I think I may just not like heisei very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

This movie reduced me to a pile of ash. It's a relentlessly thrilling and often beautiful joyride of clashing titans, exploding buildings, and squishy humans. King of the Monsters really understands what awe inspiring spectacle is versus the legion of forgettable disaster movies we've had over the years.