Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well, if you don't mind seeing the riffed version there's always Club MST3K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

wdarkk posted:

Trying to watch all the live action Godzillas before the release of King of the Monsters.

I'm not sure if I actually watched vs Megalon or just think I did because of how many clips I've seen in youtube videos. Unfortunately I can't rent it on youtube or itunes. I might just have to re-up a streaming service or buy a dvd or something.

The Criterion Channel has it and most of the showa stuff, and I think you get a 7 day trial if you haven't used it before.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Godzilla vs Megalon is the one I watched the most as a kid :3: Yes I'm aware of how bad it is, but I love it for sentimental reasons.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

There are some new Youtube reviews of KOTM and a few are a bit lukewarm so I'm dialing down my expectations a bit. This fits a pattern with new movies. The hype is often choreographed by "fan exclusive" screenings and whatnot. Some geek on Youtube saw it last week and was like Holy poo poo it is amazing, oh yeah and Dougherty is a cool guy I know him personally. Signs of.mixed reactions seep out very shortly before release after months of calculated hype

Spoiler tagged this because ppl should go in with whatever preconceived notions they prefer
I'm probably gonna go see this regardless, but what were the general complaints? My general knowledge of YouTubers indicates that they often make criticisms in bad faith/complain about really petty things.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Critical complaints mean very little to me when it comes to Godzilla movies because a lot of people didn't like how much human stuff there was in Godzilla 2014 but I still thought it was an amazing movie. Giant monsters were in it and done well so I thought it was cool.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
'Godzilla vs. Megalon' is the film that purists point to as the worst of the showa offerings but that's only because about six people alive today have seen 'Godzilla Raids Again.'

If you made it through 'Son of Godzilla' and 'Godzilla's Revenge' you'll be fine.

('Son' is actually okay but jeeeeezus that suit is awful to the point it drags the whole movie into its own special hell. 'Revenge' is kind of charming in its own weird "Let's just take acid and have Godzilla raise our son, Jennifer" way but it's somehow a clip show of the movie right before it so that loving suit comes back and so does the special hell but now it's a clip show hell where inbetween memories of that godforsaken thing, a more lucid, slightly embarrassed Godzilla beats up puberty-that has-lightning-hands and then demonstrates proper fire extinguisher use.)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Godzilla vs. Megalon was one of my first classic Godzilla films and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Admittedly it particularly benefits from watching while not sober.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm leery of the new movie because of the military worship, and this recent trend of obnoxious, quippy dialogue is annoying, but the real heavies are all present and from what I've heard of the plot it's Godzilla as gently caress.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, from what I've seen of the promotional material, it looks like the military is largely useless against the big bois and after a bit they're just like "Well let's just like annoy them until Big G gets here"

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Maybe it's G-Force? I'd like that, but it looks more like the USAF.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
G'14 had the military trying to nuke San Fran so I wouldn't exactly call it worshiping them tbh, I expect the new movie to largely be the same where sure an individual military guy is cool but the military as a whole is bumblefucks

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

teagone posted:

My older brother is actually a Gamera fan, and I think he has a blu-ray box set. Next time I see him, I'll ask to borrow to it.

The Heisei Gamera movies are all better than the Heisei Godzilla movies. Not that I don't love the Godzilla ones, but the Gamera ones are amazing. It's striking how much better the city models look.

If you do get ahold of the Mill Creek blu set be careful: they issued two revisions of it because they hosed up the subs in the 3rd movie, and then hosed up the first reissue too. The corrected disc should have a code in the whitespace on the 3rd disc that says 63054-12-A

I wish NECA would get ahold of the Gamera license, I don't have shmonsterarts money but I want a Heisei Gamera real bad.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mandatory lesbian posted:

G'14 had the military trying to nuke San Fran so I wouldn't exactly call it worshiping them tbh, I expect the new movie to largely be the same where sure an individual military guy is cool but the military as a whole is bumblefucks

Though by the looks of it, the totally not Super X helps out against Ghidorah. One of the trailers had it firing a giant missile volley against a grounded Ghidorah.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cythereal posted:

Though by the looks of it, the totally not Super X helps out against Ghidorah. One of the trailers had it firing a giant missile volley against a grounded Ghidorah.

That may or may not actually help, though, to be fair.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At this point I'd hope that military figures in Godzilla movies would realize that they're not going to penetrate the skin of a Kaiju so they just focus entirely on kinetic energy with their weaponry so they can knock them over to let a good guy kaiju deliver a killing blow.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

mandatory lesbian posted:

Yeah total things the military accomplishes in 14:

Almost nukes San Francisco and still manages to gently caress up hilariously badly
Follow Godzilla around with a bunch of ships
Act as cannonfodder

In Kong Skull Island

Kill a giant spider
Knock Kong down once
Act as the primary villains and almost all die because they keep trying to kill Kaiju

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They should be goddamn grateful that Kaiju absorb radiation because even a depleted nuclear warhead detonating off the coast of San Fran would be an ecological disaster.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I fully expect Monarch to be more on the side of good, while the actual military fucks things up repeatedly.

We've already seen that the government is extremely sceptical to treating kaiju as allies in the trailers.

As far as Megalon goes- the monster stuff in it is great and the final fight is a lot of fun. Though it peters out by the end. Jet Jaguar is great and it's got some fun stuff

But goddamn is the movie tedious as gently caress to get to it. That's the kind of movie that you fastforward as a kid to get to the next monster scene. Those awful, awful stairs

But it's got more going for it than Space Godzilla and it has an MST3K episode that is amazing

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

David Strathairn is back on the military side of things, so that is nice continuity.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'd honestly love it if the studios went even more gonzo and brought in King Kong and Ultraman to slap around Godzilla before some big threat like Biollante shows up. Just have Tokyo get rolled while aliens hang out in orbit and laugh at the pathetic humans.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'd honestly love it if the studios went even more gonzo and brought in King Kong and Ultraman to slap around Godzilla before some big threat like Biollante shows up. Just have Tokyo get rolled while aliens hang out in orbit and laugh at the pathetic humans.

You're going to love next year then

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

So, because nobody's cited the criticisms in the early reviews, I did some digging-one common complaint is apparently "there's too many monsters and too much monster fighting." If I had money to bet (which I currently don't :( ) I'd bet that these same critics probably complained about Godzilla'14 not having enough monster fighting. So grain of salt.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

VolticSurge posted:

So, because nobody's cited the criticisms in the early reviews, I did some digging-one common complaint is apparently "there's too many monsters and too much monster fighting."

Just told my eight year old this. He replied, "Oh, this is going to be an awesome movie."

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Just told my eight year old this. He replied, "Oh, this is going to be an awesome movie."

Your eight year old has good taste. :golfclap:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I got my very first Godzilla figure at a nearby ThinkGeek yesterday, pretty happy with it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I've heard nothing bad about this movie and everything I've seen is good

It's rare to have a movie I'm looking forward to but here we are

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Why isn't this movie out yet? Why isn't it next Tuesday (the earliest I'll be able to see the film)?!?!?!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

VolticSurge posted:

So, because nobody's cited the criticisms in the early reviews, I did some digging-one common complaint is apparently "there's too many monsters and too much monster fighting." If I had money to bet (which I currently don't :( ) I'd bet that these same critics probably complained about Godzilla'14 not having enough monster fighting. So grain of salt.

"Excuse me, waiter?"

"Yes sir."

"This dish is simply too cheesy. Too much cheese."

"Sir, you ordered Macaroni and Cheese."

"Regardless, too much cheese."

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Orders triple patty burger. "Excuse me, there's too much meat in this."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

DC Murderverse posted:

"Excuse me, waiter?"

"Yes sir."

"This dish is simply too cheesy. Too much cheese."

"Sir, you ordered Macaroni and Cheese."

"Regardless, too much cheese."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC-avN1eDoQ

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Viridiant posted:

I got my very first Godzilla figure at a nearby ThinkGeek yesterday, pretty happy with it.

I got that one years ago when Kay-Bee was closing for 5 bucks. (is that the large one?)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Davros1 posted:

I got that one years ago when Kay-Bee was closing for 5 bucks. (is that the large one?)

I got Mecha G at the same time.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

My inner 8-year-old concurs.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Really looking forward to seeing this this weekend. Everything about this looks so amazing.

Except the Kyle Chandler character. Everything he says and does seems custom-made to irritate the hell out of me

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

BrianWilly posted:

Really looking forward to seeing this this weekend. Everything about this looks so amazing.

Except the Kyle Chandler character. Everything he says and does seems custom-made to irritate the hell out of me
He initially comes off as a broken desperate father who redeems himself through forgiveness and belief in a power greater than himself.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tekne posted:

He initially comes off as a broken desperate father who redeems himself through forgiveness and belief in a power greater than himself.

I am immensely curious

Does the Main Theme play during any of the fighting? You don't have to be specific, I'm just curious since we know where the BOC song is playing

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

It absolutely does. The score is not only incredible in theater but used for maximum effect.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I think most people just expect every Godzilla film to be a dramatic allegory for nuclear warfare and such.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I'm pumped but also nervous concerning the amount of quips in the trailers, hopefully that's just marketing and they're not so constant in the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 days!)

Viridiant posted:

i got the exact same one sitting on my desk, someone got it for me for christmas couple years ago